• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Hey, quick question, I've noticed that at a casual level at the very least, that Ridley's down smash is very good when your opponent's grabbing the ledge, as it covers pretty much every option. Am I right or do my friends just suck?
No that's actually a very common edgeguard in tournaments. Either as a twoframe or as a way to prevent people from holding the ledge.
It has this really weird hitbox too that sends straight up so I've seen ledge-downsmash-upair kills... Probably Just bad di, but still, that move has very decent applications

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
The gsp system is broken. Most people I know get their favourite characters in Elite Smash for bragging rights, never touch them again in fear of some bull**** gsp drop. After that they stick to Arena's, which are WAY more fun and WAY better to improve since you know the rules, know the players and get character variety.

I trained my other main, Ivysaur, this way and even though I usually beat my buddy, who had half the roster in Elite Smash, I was kicked out after 2 matches and got stuck in 3,5 million gsp hell.

Tldr; Arena's are a much better way to improve and gsp says nothing about your skill.
If you want to spar with me in an arena some time, Just message me. I'll be free after 19:00 Dutch time on most days. It's 11:30 Dutch time right now, if you want to calculate when that is wherever you live.
don't have much offline time and when i do they like to play items

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
This is probably going to sound like a ridiculous question to most of you, but does anyone miss the days when Ridley wasn't in Smash? I know we tend to associate those times with the detractors and all the hate Ridley supporters had to deal with, but I have to admit, I kind of miss the traffic and activity Ridley used to have when everyone was talking about how he'd play, what he'd look like, and how big he'd be - you know, typical speculation. I miss those Ridley memes, the heated debates, and even the ridiculous trolls who kept reminding us that Ridley was too big.

I dunno. I guess the Direct is making me nostalgic. After all this time, it still feels weird not wondering if Ridley will be revealed as the next character.
In my case, I do not miss those times. I learned from the experience, that's for sure, but I won't deny the stress of the faction wars and other people drew me away from Ridley and Smash. Gladly, my strangely newly developed intolerance towards Ridley did not lasted for long and I could keep enjoying him and brush off Smash entirely. His reveal instantly made me stop the strong denial phase I had for the follwing years and I am still eagerly waiting for the day I have a Switch and Smash to live the dream for more than a few minutes.

I know this place is a lot more quiet than in the speculation and deconfirmation period of 4 or the like, but I am definitely getting used to it.

I would be currently drawing and making more Ridley content as usual if the circumstances weren't allowing me to do so. The only thing I can do for now is to brainstorm ideas to execute them later when I get the chance. I will return into taking commissions too, as I have one pending and the previous ones were a success.

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
I had to use Giant spirits and Big size special Smash to get our happy big boi in his canon size.
big.jpg

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is probably going to sound like a ridiculous question to most of you, but does anyone miss the days when Ridley wasn't in Smash? I know we tend to associate those times with the detractors and all the hate Ridley supporters had to deal with, but I have to admit, I kind of miss the traffic and activity Ridley used to have when everyone was talking about how he'd play, what he'd look like, and how big he'd be - you know, typical speculation. I miss those Ridley memes, the heated debates, and even the ridiculous trolls who kept reminding us that Ridley was too big.

I dunno. I guess the Direct is making me nostalgic. After all this time, it still feels weird not wondering if Ridley will be revealed as the next character.
At the moment I don't miss it, but Ultimate has still more or less just come out, I'm sure that once the next Smash game is announced, however far off that might be, I will miss it. Smash speculation just isn't much fun when you don't have a horse in the race, and the chaotic community experience around supporting Ridley was always the best part of speculation for me, so I think I'll find it extremely difficult to get into speculation again. Like, even if I do find another character I'd support, it won't be like with Ridley, it won't be the same struggle or have the same longevity, I really don't think we'll see something that can compare with that again.

Still, I think Ridley's inclusion happened at maybe the latest it possibly could have, his support was always driven by the belief that the character could be in, so I'm really not sure the Ridley community would have kept going to the same extend past Ultimate, it probably would have been a lot more subdued for Ultimate too if not for the early leaks. In that sense Ridley speculation was a product of its time, it would never have kept going forever, and going forward I think the community would have struggled a lot getting new fans into it, as it's not exactly an attractive proposal to join a hopeless movement, as well as Metroid not having much of an impact on younger generations (which are bit by bit becoming more and more influential in the community). One way or another Ridley support as we knew it would have ended, and I don't think him getting into Ultimate ended it that much sooner than it'd otherwise have been, the alternative was it happening when the veteran supporters would one by one move on to more important things in life.

Still, I think it's possible to miss it while also accepting the reality that it wasn't sustainable forever, it's the best online community experience I've ever been a part of, so of course I will eventually miss it. Luckily I don't have to look far to live part of the experience again, as I can just pick up and play Ridley to be reminded of the fruits of our labor.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even if 'Everyone is Here' is not sustainable in the future, Ridley's one of the characters I'd be least worried about being on the chopping block. For the most part he's always had a presence in Smash for the longest time that we requested him, and Sakurai knows that cutting him and making him a boss or something again would bring him some loudly unpleasant noise like I guess he got with the general reception to Hazardly.

"Fans overseas wouldn't shut up about him so we put him in."

Why would he want to deal with that noise again?

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
Even if 'Everyone is Here' is not sustainable in the future, Ridley's one of the characters I'd be least worried about being on the chopping block. For the most part he's always had a presence in Smash for the longest time that we requested him, and Sakurai knows that cutting him and making him a boss or something again would bring him some loudly unpleasant noise like I guess he got with the general reception to Hazardly.

"Fans overseas wouldn't shut up about him so we put him in."

Why would he want to deal with that noise again?
Indeed, I think the base newcomers most at risk are the echoes, Simon/Richter (3rd party), and Incineroar if his character doesn't hold the test of time. Ridley and K. Rool should hopefully stick for being major fan demands, Isabelle is both popular and somewhat became the face of Animal Crossing so I think she's safe, and Inkling is pretty much an A-lister at this point so they're not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Here's an interesting read on the subject:

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/07/smash-bros-roster-cuts/

In particular, these quotes I found quite relevant:

With the exception of Mewtwo, all of these characters are clone characters, a distinction that should be taken note of.
Ridley is not a clone character, and no other character in-game compares remotely to his playstyle or skillset. This is in stark contrast to "the swordsmen," for example, who all feel very similar.
franchises with multiple reps are more likely than small franchises to see losses.
Metroid only has a 4 playable fighters represented, 3 of whom are really just various versions of Samus. It seems unlikely for this reason Ridley would be in danger.
“Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen.”
Metroid certainly has a future. I see no reason here to worry.
The Ice Climbers simply could not work on the 3DS, so even though Sakurai was able to get them working on the Wii U, they ultimately did not make the roster.
This one is a possibility, and the closest threat I could see to Ridley's continued representation. Sakurai did indeed state he was a tough character to implement. Compared to super odd characters like Ice Climbers or Olimar, however, it seems like he'd be relatively safe. My interpretation of the difficulties they had with Ridley was that it was more on the artistic - staying true to his character - type of difficulties rather than technical challenges. His moveset and mechanics are fairly "vanilla" in regards to complexity regarding coding or game design. Ice Climbers, for example, have an AI component involved. Rosalina has her luma do too, which would be an example of a red flag in this category. Ridley really just has "vanilla" attacks that don't involve anything that should pose problems code-wise.
The one thing that can be taken from Snake’s removal is that 3rd party characters are subject to different rules than the rest of the cast.
Metroid is not 3rd party.

Given the above article and evidence, I seriously doubt Ridley is at risk for being cut in the next SSB. Dark Samus, however, could likely be cut given she hits a few red flags with the above quotes.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Whenever I run into a mirror match online, the other Ridley player always goes to the corner of the stage and crouches a bunch. Like, nearly every single time I run into a mirror this happens.

Have you all witnessed this phenomenon as well? Is it just a Ridley thing, or do other characters do this too when presented with mirror matches.

Is it a greeting, perhaps something I should be doing too?

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
Whenever I run into a mirror match online, the other Ridley player always goes to the corner of the stage and crouches a bunch. Like, nearly every single time I run into a mirror this happens.

Have you all witnessed this phenomenon as well? Is it just a Ridley thing, or do other characters do this too when presented with mirror matches.

Is it a greeting, perhaps something I should be doing too?
The crouching sort of depends on the context of it.

If the other Ridley starts crouching at the beginning of the match then they're doing it to pay respects to a fellow Ridley player, a short break in the action to goof around sort of sets the tone that it's a friendly game and they're excited to face you or have been enjoying the games. In Smash 4 people would often taunt at the start of the match to show good-will but since taunts were removed they had to fall back on that as an alternative. You'll see it the most in mirror matches because you earn their immediate respect with your character choice, but I've had it happen with other characters I've went a few rounds with to show we're having fun with it.

Now if they rapidly crouch after a KO then that's them "tea-bagging" which is meant for just pure disrespect. I wouldn't recommend it since it can make you come across as a prick and your opponent is going to be less likely to have a good time or want to rematch you.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
They were definitely respectful matches. One of the Ridleys I ran into last night stayed around for 5 matches, and commented "Well Played" at the end of the last match with a text comment (which I didn't know you could do!). The other Ridley I ran into I didn't elect to fight a rematch with because the match was really laggy and kept freezing (I'm on google fiber in an apartment with an ethernet connection, so it wasn't me). Both did the crouchy thing at the start. I now feel a bit bad about running over immediately to start the fight instead of reciprocating, but I'm a bit new to the customs and behavioral trends of online smash. I shall adopt this custom!

I have indeed seen the alternative, disrespectful form of the crouching many times in many, many online games I've played. I typically steer clear of doing that unless they do it first.

I really wish taunts were allowed in online matches. I mean, I get that Nintendo is trying to avoid players from being rude to one another, but in my opinion tea-bagging is more disrespectful than in-game taunting would ever be, so it's kind of a moot point in that regard.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
1. is it just me or does shields come up slower online?

2. there is no number 2

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just hope if for whatever reason Metroid is reduced to two reps, Ridley is given priority over Zero Suit

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
https://imgur.com/a/ReoE9qb

Custom painted Ridley amiibo (including the base). Thought the process/progress was really interesting. The finished product looks amazing.

That looks amazing!

You really did a good job capturing the glow of the lava here. I'm honestly not even sure how you managed to pull that off, but it literally looks like he's standing atop a flame. You even touched this up onto the wings with a bit of an orange glow.

I also really like how you captured the muscles and tendons, particularly in the leg and along the wing's musculature.

I never noticed this before, but in one of your pictures it looks like there is a face on Ridley's backside. It looks like a snarling lion or gorilla, kind of, and you can see this in a couple of your shots from the back.

It is vastly superior to the one you started with. Nice work!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
A thought occurs that with Mario Maker 2 on the horizon, so does the possibility of a playable Ridley in another game.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
A thought occurs that with Mario Maker 2 on the horizon, so does the possibility of a playable Ridley in another game.
Assuming that Mystery Mushroom costumes return, which they should as that was one of the selling points of Super Mario Maker (the Nintendo 3DS version doesn't have them, but there is evidence that they were planned for it and got scrapped), then I think Nintendo would at least bring back all costumes from before (apart from costumes with slight legal issues/problems) and add at least costumes for all new and future amiibo. Ridley's sprite will likely be based on his Super Smash Bros. Ultimate design.

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
Might not be Ridley specific, but I feel my collection of crooks is coming along rather nicely.

As far as Smash Roster goes I think I'm mainly just missing out on Dark Samus and the Piranha Plant merchandise to complete the collection. Dark Pit doesn't really qualify as a villain and DDD and Meta Knight are generally heroic. Ryu's just there because he was going through one of his Satsui no Hado phases and is in need of a Snickers.

I thought it looked best to have Bowser front and center as Nintendo's leading villain, but Ridley gets to be elevated on a perch and I think he looks something fierce looming over the rest, almost ends up looking like the top of the pyramid when I threw in some of the non-amiibo figures.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Ridley gets in Mario Maker, I hope they give him his theme as his course completed tune. That's one of my few nitpicks with how Ridley was handled in Ultimate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If Ridley gets in Mario Maker, I hope they give him his theme as his course completed tune. That's one of my few nitpicks with how Ridley was handled in Ultimate.
Nah, they'll probably just give him Super or GBA screeches, then either the item get for the former or Unknown Item from Zero Mission. They only use original sound clips for those costumes and nothing remixed, we just don't have any truncated version of Ridley's theme.

...Though I find it strange to complain about his theme representation in Smash when we have four whole different versions of it.

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
Here's some Ridley frame data that includes hit angle, knockback, and shield damage values: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nf1GGIteH35UX3IM7-mnbdG6eE/edit#gid=899732416.

It's all in Japanese, but you can use Google Translate to get check what moves are what and what the notes sections says.
It's quite possible I'm just being daft this morning, but how exactly does one get Google Translate to translate a Google doc?

Edit: Also, I've noticed that occasionally my side-B launches my opponent nearly horizontal as opposed to launching them towards the upper corners. Anyone know how to consistently launch them horizontally, or is this just a case of my opponents DIing?

Last edited:

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
Yeah, should've labbed it first, but that seems to be the case. I just didn't realize DIing could change that launch angle so much.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There's specific factors that effect launch trajectory/power of Side B, such as the distance you drag them relative to the edge of the stage (dragging them across the whole stage vs dragging them barely any distance at all) and if you initiated the move in the air. I wouldn't rule out bad/good DI having the most impact, however.

Incidentally, one of the weird things I found is stages with slants/walls seem to increase the power of Side B exponentially.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, it becomes more of a legit kill move when used on someone at the edge whose already taken high damage, while initiating it further away puts them in a disadvantage taste for you to capitalize on.

I see Reggie’s gonna retire in April... He will be missed, who did Ridley fans proud with the shirt and everything, among the other things he’s done for the Nintendo community over the years.

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
I don't think that's right. If it's gonna kill, it's gonna kill, wherever you started it. The length of time your victim is stuck in side-B just seems to determine the damage they take, unless of course you're at a higher percentage than they are. Which is actually what that Twitter video is saying.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Is what it is. I’m fine with it being a multi-purpose move, but can’t be too predictable with it or you’ll get punished.

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
Just tested that in training mode. It's... A bit screwy. Push Bowser all the way to the other edge, side-B him across the whole stage, and you'll get a kill. Keep resetting and trying to get him from his starting position? He'll live, unless you close the gap and side-B him up close. But if he's at the edge, the distance you start your side-B doesn't seem to matter? Not sure what's going on here.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It's quite possible I'm just being daft this morning, but how exactly does one get Google Translate to translate a Google doc?
If you're talking about translating the entire spreadsheet with Google Translate, then I don't know. I just grab something like " 弱攻撃 " and plug it into Google Translate which spits out "weak attack". Considering it's the first attack listed, it's Ridley's jab or neutral attack. Or something like " 横B (グラビングスクラッチ) " which Google Translate says is "Horizontal B (grabbing scratch)".

Sometimes it's weird and sometimes you might have to remember damage or startup frame if you've seen them before to see what you're looking at. Most frame data spreadsheets do follow a format with moves; neutral moves, forward/side input moves, up input moves, and down input moves. So, for grounded normals which are in the green section of the Japanese spreadsheet: jab, dash attack, Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt, Side Smash, Up Smash, and Down Smash.

I'm the only weirdo who puts up input moves then side inputs and down inputs on my frame data sheets. Well, Falco's since I'm the angry bird guy. Anyway, I digress.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
best way to stop projectile spammers?
I suppose it all depends on who you're facing but never forget, Ridley has his own projectile and quite frankly it's a lot easier to avoid one or two of Mario's fireballs than it is to deal with a line of Ridley's projectiles along with whatever Ridley throws out. But to be more specific...

Utilize your own projectile. There is nothing stopping Ridley from essentially doing the exact same thing as other spammers. If the Belmonts get too happy, make some space and do the exact same thing. Cloud getting to happy with Buster Sword? Do the same thing. If someone is legitimately going to try and just cheese their way through, I say give the middle finger and do the exact same thing. You aren't the one who has to force yourself to approach, you can turn this whole "spam" game around right on your opponent.

Of course some projectiles are harder to deal with than others but if you can help it, turn that situation around. Ridley's fireballs cover enough parts of the stage, force approach and can be utilized to combo, directly or indirectly into other moves. Don't forget that Ridley can fly and can cover great distances with his multiple jumps. Certain moves like Wing Blitz will eat right through certain projectiles like Blunderbuss.

Some characters like Ness, Link, Wolf, etc simply have superior projectiles and ways to deal with Ridley. There isn't much you can do here but play defensively and slowly move yourself in. Other characters though? Yeah, as the old saying goes, fight fire with fire. That's the great thing about Ridley's projectile. it isn't just good for edgeguarding, it's a multi-purpose move.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I suppose it all depends on who you're facing but never forget, Ridley has his own projectile and quite frankly it's a lot easier to avoid one or two of Mario's fireballs than it is to deal with a line of Ridley's projectiles along with whatever Ridley throws out. But to be more specific...

Utilize your own projectile. There is nothing stopping Ridley from essentially doing the exact same thing as other spammers. If the Belmonts get too happy, make some space and do the exact same thing. Cloud getting to happy with Buster Sword? Do the same thing. If someone is legitimately going to try and just cheese their way through, I say give the middle finger and do the exact same thing. You aren't the one who has to force yourself to approach, you can turn this whole "spam" game around right on your opponent.

Of course some projectiles are harder to deal with than others but if you can help it, turn that situation around. Ridley's fireballs cover enough parts of the stage, force approach and can be utilized to combo, directly or indirectly into other moves. Don't forget that Ridley can fly and can cover great distances with his multiple jumps. Certain moves like Wing Blitz will eat right through certain projectiles like Blunderbuss.

Some characters like Ness, Link, Wolf, etc simply have superior projectiles and ways to deal with Ridley. There isn't much you can do here but play defensively and slowly move yourself in. Other characters though? Yeah, as the old saying goes, fight fire with fire. That's the great thing about Ridley's projectile. it isn't just good for edgeguarding, it's a multi-purpose move.
lucas pk freeze is bs sometimes :p

Top Bottom