• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't see an FAQ or Q&A thread so I'll just ask here but does anyone know what Ridley's best options out of shield are? I'm not 100% sure how many frames a shield drop takes though I'm pretty sure it's not the same as Sm4sh's 7 or 8 frames. I know jab is frame 4 so that's his fastest option after a shield drop. There's shield grab but there's also additional lag when trying to shield grab in Ultimate. Lastly, there's doing an aerial but Ridley doesn't have very fast aerials. Oh and there's up special, up smash and item tossing but Ridley can't produce his own items so that's mu dependent, his up special is super slow and up smash is likely at least decent if he gets crossed up. There's also the possible reality that Ridley's best option after shielding an attack is simply to attempt a retreat to go back to spacing with his long hitboxes.

ADYBE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8398-5678-1580
I don't see an FAQ or Q&A thread so I'll just ask here but does anyone know what Ridley's best options out of shield are? I'm not 100% sure how many frames a shield drop takes though I'm pretty sure it's not the same as Sm4sh's 7 or 8 frames. I know jab is frame 4 so that's his fastest option after a shield drop. There's shield grab but there's also additional lag when trying to shield grab in Ultimate. Lastly, there's doing an aerial but Ridley doesn't have very fast aerials. Oh and there's up special, up smash and item tossing but Ridley can't produce his own items so that's mu dependent, his up special is super slow and up smash is likely at least decent if he gets crossed up. There's also the possible reality that Ridley's best option after shielding an attack is simply to attempt a retreat to go back to spacing with his long hitboxes.
It’s simple, use NAIR. Aerial for shield, fast and have space.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This spreadsheet lists the actual fastest options (N-air, Up Smash and F-air/B-air in that order for those too lazy to dig through it).

Retreating/fading back with N-air is typically the best option for both offensive and defensive purposes (puts them in tipper range, and it helps that N-air beats out most projectiles). B-air can work if they're trying to cross you up/they're hitting you from behind. F-air isn't ideal most of the time, but it has its niche uses.

Shifting your hurtbox with certain animations can throw off certain attacks (Ridley crouches over/has invincibility on his leg during Up Smash, and can jump over lows with Down Smash) though those are obviously situational. I spend a lot of time crouching/dashing to minimize the chance of getting hit.

You'll get hit for it more often than not if they catch on, but stutter stepping/moving slightly back then doing turnaround F-smash, U-tilt, D-tilt or F-tilt (which also goes through projectiles) can lead to beating other options. U-smash can also work but it hits behind Ridley first.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
They definitely are able to learn to taunt, although whether it's after a kill is still out there. I've trained a lot of amiibos over the past week or two and when I'd taunt after every kill they'd learn to just taunt randomly in the middle of the match sometimes to provoke a response to immediately counteract it but mostly just to mess with me. It's weird but I like to think of it as a neat little character trait of being complete showmen.
I'm currently trying to teach my little Rids a little bit of all the most annoying tricks, the best part being how they're often frame perfect and unpredictable. I'll probably have to try hitting him with some short hop uair's under lower platform on battle field, learn how to do the dair to recover off stage, land some good bairs, and do some command grab stage spikes off stage, and my Rids will be one annoying opponent.

On an absolutely related note, I am absolutely going to be spend next month trying to get my K. Rool to try and go for suck 'n cucks.

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
My Ridley amiibo is still in its package. I got it opening day and was planning to take it out but he just looks so great and pristine in the packaging that I've been hesitating to take him out. Hope to get my hands on K. Rool as well when he drops, I've got Ganondorf and Bowser so that's going to be quite the villain lineup when it's all complete.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Fun to watch the Ridley meta develop. Knew he was a great ledge guarder with ledge-grazing fireballs/nair but I’m seeing some nice 2-frame mixups in tournies with the tip of the happyslap dsmash and angled ftilt shank.

Hoping to see more of the spike on the divebomb up-b, especially if it gets a few frames shaved in a buff. The animation shows it was clearly designed for a specific purpose in that it decimates predictable recoveries. Also seems that people haven’t quite got the hang of the reverse up-b. You can put out a decent wall of offstage fairs and still get back safe with that thing. Still not sure on the forward, downward angled one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well now I’m more considerate of getting it than I thought previously. Will think about it for a bit, but either way, I appreciate the gesture of lowering the price.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why on earth would you spend that much money on just a figure?

I dunno man, it seems ludicrous to me.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Figures of high quality like that are not cheap. The Meta Ridley figure is very intricate, with plenty of details in every nook and cranny. It's also big - in height, it is almost 1 metre tall. The wing membranes are slightly transparent, and actually glow in the dark. They've made sure that the lines on the wing membranes, as well as the joints on the wings, align with each other on both sides so that you can't see either overlapping on the other side. Let's not forget that the figure will be packed in parts in the box (head and neck, body and legs, arms, wings, tail, tail tip, base) so that people can assemble it. While yes the figure will be made from a mould, it will be hand painted and sprayed by workers who put care into every figure they work on. It's not really a waste of money if it's part of their hobby to collect things to display in their own homes.

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
That is an incredible Ridley figure, I'd certainly be envious seeing it in someone's collection, though I'm not sure where I'd make room for one if I had it myself.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Having seen how huge this is, I'm welcoming the resurgence of "Ridley is too big" in reference to this figure.

Also heard that there's an installment plan (45 bucks per month for 11 months) for those unable to pay 500 all at once. Not ideal but better than nothing.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Meta Ridley figure.

$599.99 for standard edition.
$599.99 for exclusive edition.
*curses self for being a poor college student*

I mean, dang, that's a beautiful figure. Here's hoping it makes a killing at sales because I'd love to see some of the other Metroid villains (namely Dark Samus and Mother Brain) get this treatment.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
So has anyone else encountered an issue where Ridley down Air doesnt, drop you down. You just sort of float there, in the air, awkwardly?

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
So has anyone else encountered an issue where Ridley down Air doesnt, drop you down. You just sort of float there, in the air, awkwardly?
That happens with any dair like that if you jump right before you dair. Happens to me with Bowser every now and again. It's not a glitch, or at the very least it's not a new one

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
233.jpg

xD This happens when I am bored. It got the World of Nintendo Metroid set which had Prime 2 Varia Suit Samus and Two Metroids (along with clear stands for them) and they were pretty much in scale with my Ridley amiibo, so, I had to make this, and I will probably make more.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Good to know for certain now that Ridley support was decently existent with the ballot, just it wasn’t very visible since SSB4 post-release was when detractors came out in full-force due to being validated by Sakurai’s last statement on Ridley before changing his mind. Still surreal that we’re in this timeline.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
That happens with any dair like that if you jump right before you dair. Happens to me with Bowser every now and again. It's not a glitch, or at the very least it's not a new one
It does that if you have any upwards momentum and people have actually been using it to confuse opponents. Especially Greninja players make use of it a lot

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I typeset a comic.
I'll finish another featuring Dark Samus soon.
rival2.png

Source
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Been getting some positive feedback as I've been playing/labbing more and more Ridley lately. Might eventually post some replays in the video/critique thread.

I'm entering another thing tomorrow, going to try and go Ridley more than Samus this time (if not completely go solo Ridley) to see how it goes. :ultridley:

Also been meaning to upload some more screenshots I've been taking, will probably edit them in this post once I go on my break/get out later from work.

Edit: Embedding them just breaks the image anyway, so I just made an album on imgur.

Ridley screenshots https://imgur.com/a/Zs5O1Kt

Took the Rosalina ones specifically with AndreaAC AndreaAC in mind.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

In addition to the point made about the statue's quality, it's also just that Japanese collector culture is insane. Certain anime Blu-Ray box sets can cast like $800. And from what I heard, it's common practice to buy two: one to open and enjoy, and one to keep sealed and mint.

That said, four and a half years ago, I had the money to buy their exclusive Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Light Suit statue when it was available on their store. I got a good pair of headphones instead, which lasted me until just a few months ago. But in hindsight, I'd rather have gotten the statue, since it now costs twice as much to get one secondhand.

Though perhaps I'm better off holding out for a Dark Samus figure. With Meta Ridley here, it's bound to happen, and I'll be there when it does.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Been getting some positive feedback as I've been playing/labbing more and more Ridley lately. Might eventually post some replays in the video/critique thread.

I'm entering another thing tomorrow, going to try and go Ridley more than Samus this time (if not completely go solo Ridley) to see how it goes. :ultridley:

Also been meaning to upload some more screenshots I've been taking, will probably edit them in this post once I go on my break/get out later from work.

Edit: Embedding them just breaks the image anyway, so I just made an album on imgur.

Ridley screenshots https://imgur.com/a/Zs5O1Kt

Took the Rosalina ones specifically with AndreaAC AndreaAC in mind.
Love the one with the taunt in the middle of Galeem haha. Something about that taunt is just so degrading to the opponent, didn't think anything would top Peach's singing in that regard, but here we are.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
In addition to the point made about the statue's quality, it's also just that Japanese collector culture is insane. Certain anime Blu-Ray box sets can cast like $800. And from what I heard, it's common practice to buy two: one to open and enjoy, and one to keep sealed and mint.

That said, four and a half years ago, I had the money to buy their exclusive Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Light Suit statue when it was available on their store. I got a good pair of headphones instead, which lasted me until just a few months ago. But in hindsight, I'd rather have gotten the statue, since it now costs twice as much to get one secondhand.

Though perhaps I'm better off holding out for a Dark Samus figure. With Meta Ridley here, it's bound to happen, and I'll be there when it does.
Meta Ridley is the first in their Metroid Villains line.

Dark Samus is a very popular choice of request in the F4F community, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was next.

Looks like Metroid Prime 4's development has restarted.

I'd rather they restart it and get it done right than rush the product and it not meet standards.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Won't lie, I'm absolutely gutted at the news, it's the one game that I'm incredibly excited for, and now I think best case scenario it'll come out in a little over 2 years, but probably in 3.

I trust that they're doing this for a good reason though, I'd much rather this than them releasing a bad game, with Metroid's precarious position it can't afford a flop, so I'm fully supportive of them rebooting it, and I'm extremely appreciative of the transparency. I'm not sure how much I like it going back to Retro though, practically none of the original developers are there anymore, and they haven't released a game in 5 years, it seems to me like a studio that have their own share of problems these days.

For now I'm going to trust the big N though, as disappointed as I am I'm also proud of seeing them put priority on quality over anything else. That they're willing to take the loss and begin over is remarkable in this day and age, the industry is ripe with developers that release unfinished messes and games which fall way below previous standards, I'm super happy to see Nintendo still stick to their guts.

Last edited:

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
It's disappointing to hear, but also reassuring that they care about the quality of the game that they'd rather start over than put out a release that doesn't meet standards.

IronTed

Smash Ace
This blew me away. I recall detective work led to Bandai Namco being the dev, but that Nintendo straight up felt it was subpar is quite telling. I definitely trust that if they of all people felt it wouldn't live up to expectations, then it really was going terribly. If Prime 4 is anything less than great is will get lambasted. If it's less than good it will probably bomb.

I've been agnostic on Retro making Prime 4. A lot of the people who made the Prime trilogy still work there (IIRC it's mainly just that the director left), so it's not as if current Retro has literally no idea what to do. Hopefully whoever thought fetch quests was a great idea left though. Also, I wonder what this means for Retro's current game. It must be close to completion if Nintendo is giving them a game as big as Prime 4.

So we can expect Prime 4 in 2022. Yeah, that sucks. Hopefully we get Metroid 5 soon to tie us over, and a remaster of Prime Trilogy. I need Metroid on my Switch in some form.

Edit: Also has Nintendo ever been so upfront about development hell like this? Because it seems very unprecedented. I'm very glad that they're being honest to this extent anyway. Better than something vague like "due to development difficulties we are changing developers". In hindsight it's too bad SR came out so late, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
For those who've already pre-ordered the Meta Ridley figure, make sure you validate your order today to increase your chances of getting a low number (e.g. #0049 out of 1000).

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Real disappointment. Guess that does away with the Sylux speculation, too.
and a remaster of Prime Trilogy.
I choose to live in the universe where the announcement ended in "but we do have something to show you while you wait..."

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
While the delay in Metroid Prime 4 is indeed sad, it's like Miyamato once said. A delayed game can eventually be good but a rushed game is forever bad. The fact that they're going with the original developers is an arguable good case as well. It makes you wonder though how bad did the original development team screw up that they had to scrap everything and completely change development teams?

I feel at this point, Nintendo will seek out other devs to work on Metroid series for their handhelds like they did Samus Returns for the 3DS. I'd love an improved version of Super Metroid or Fusion and I'll be honest....

Metroid Other M is the kind of game which would do perfectly on the 3DS in a 2.5D style. Take away all that BS 3D nonsense or 3rd person lock on missile jokes and just make it a fun game with platforming like any other handheld Metroid game. Instead of subpar voice acting, just have text and give the audience their own interpretation of what the character's are saying. And if the 3DS isn't strong enough, put it on the Switch but again, design it in a way that matches the handheld games.

Other M's honest to goodness biggest issue, even more than voice acting or Ridley PDST, was that it was simply not designed to play on the Wii. This was a 2D game, forced into a 3D environment and it clearly wasn't meant to be.

IronTed

Smash Ace
While the delay in Metroid Prime 4 is indeed sad, it's like Miyamato once said. A delayed game can eventually be good but a rushed game is forever bad. The fact that they're going with the original developers is an arguable good case as well. It makes you wonder though how bad did the original development team screw up that they had to scrap everything and completely change development teams?

I feel at this point, Nintendo will seek out other devs to work on Metroid series for their handhelds like they did Samus Returns for the 3DS. I'd love an improved version of Super Metroid or Fusion and I'll be honest....

Metroid Other M is the kind of game which would do perfectly on the 3DS in a 2.5D style. Take away all that BS 3D nonsense or 3rd person lock on missile jokes and just make it a fun game with platforming like any other handheld Metroid game. Instead of subpar voice acting, just have text and give the audience their own interpretation of what the character's are saying. And if the 3DS isn't strong enough, put it on the Switch but again, design it in a way that matches the handheld games.

Other M's honest to goodness biggest issue, even more than voice acting or Ridley PDST, was that it was simply not designed to play on the Wii. This was a 2D game, forced into a 3D environment and it clearly wasn't meant to be.
I would suspect that MercurySteam will handle the next 2D Metroid. Sakamoto said he'd like to continue making more games, apparently the partnership went very well, and Nintendo was satisfied with Samus Return's performance. Seems like a recipe for a sequel.

With regard to Other M, it was actually meant to be a 2.5D/on the rails game initially, which was partially why Sakamoto was so deadset on only using the wiimote. Apparently Team Ninja then came up with current control scheme and convinced Sakamoto that a 3D game without the nunchuk was doable. Clearly the worst of both worlds in that case.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Real disappointment. Guess that does away with the Sylux speculation, too.

I choose to live in the universe where the announcement ended in "but we do have something to show you while you wait..."
On the Sylux support thread, the "If het was already chosen they can't go back on it!" Is giving us hope

Great Potato

Smash Cadet

Perhaps it could have made for a good 2D game, but I don't know if it would have made for good 2D Metroid game.

I feel like Other M fell short in other ways and for me one of my biggest problems was the lack of true exploration. Metroid games 2D or 3D both carry the same key components of atmosphere and exploration, it's the Metroidvania style where you're charting your own course through the terrain, Prime 3 distanced itself a bit more in favor of a more story based finale but it still had strong elements of that regardless. Other M locks you into a much more linear game where it forces routing for you and can lock you out of prior areas. There's not that sense of coming across a new obstacle impeding your progress and the gratification of finding the power up that would allow you to overcome it, in Other M when you come across an obstacle it's solved by going through some cutscenes to advance the plot until your commander decides you're authorized to move to that area.

If I want a more linear action sci-fi story driven game then there's better options like the Halo franchise for that. I go to Metroid because it's an experience I don't get from other games because there's such an amazing sense of progression and world design. When you first step into the game you feel vulnerable, you're isolated in a foreign world where nearly everything presents a danger and there's not much more satisfying than backtracking through an area that may have kicked your ass before but this time being able to make light of it as an entirely different beast, or being able to memorize map out and navigate your way through what may have once felt like an overwhelming maze.

Super Metroid gives a great amount of freedom for how one might choose to progress, how one might chart their path through the game, and how well equipped you might be at the end of it all of that with a great atmosphere.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Super is a little clunky-feeling if you're not an advanced player, but it generally holds up. A stricter Samus Returns-style remake wouldn't be bad, just unnecessary. It would inevitably invite comparisons to the purity of the original.

If it were done, something like a 3D adaptation would be more interesting (I would also love to see Link to the Past adapted to BotW's engine, for example). However, I only see this being done if Metroid had a far more regular release cycle. We obviously now expect something entirely fresh for the next 3D installment.

I did see a fan concept floating around somewhere with a new main world that had chunks of the debris of Zebes and the BSL orbiting around it, providing Samus with a means to collect old upgrades. That would be a neat way to see some of the classic environments in 3D without rehashing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom