• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Here's their teaser for next week.
x3 Hehe~! I cannot wait to the it in all of its beautiful glory! XD It got me pretty inspired so I doodled this:

META2.png

"Silly One, stop crying. You are making things way more difficult for me than they already are. We have talked about this...I am not always going to take you to the fray with me, and you know why that is. You don't like to get beaten to the pulp, do you?"

"No...but I WANT TO BE WITH YOU!"

"And I want you to recover. I may be the one with the injuries but we share the exact same pain. And you surely cannot handle it as well as I."

"...And what about HER?"

"Her?"

"What if the evil orange lady sees your heart and shoots it!"

"...Ah...Aran. I have dealt with that before, and I have returned just fine. If you are thinking that I might die from a heart attack, I can assure you that won't happen anytime soon."

"You promise?"

"Of course, you silly goose. Otherwise, how are we going to stargaze tonight?"

"YAY~!"

"That's what I wanted to see. I will return in a couple of hours. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

xDD It might be late as hack on my end, but I really wanted to finish this.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Been taking a bit of a break until I start the new semester on Monday (need to catch up with hundreds of posts/messages on top of sorting some sections out), but I've been labbing and playing every day, and remain just excited as I did at launch.

I'm gonna trying to compete more down the line (got some minor stuff like wifi/local fests this month), and hope others struggling and/or learning things won't be discouraged by the pessimism that runs rampant on social media despite Ridley having decent showings and results. This in particular made me glad:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
https://twitter.com/TrelaTTN/status/1084337463705944064

The important thing to remember being that it has been only a bit over a month. Things aren't settling any time soon in terms of balance patches/things like new discoveries and perfecting technical skill. Won't say some buffs wouldn't be appreciated down the line, but I'm a fan of working with whatever cards you get dealt and trying to make the best of things ("we could always be worse off/at least we are actually in the game" being my mantra since the E3 reveal/negativity that followed)

Other than that, I've also had too much fun getting things like cool screenshots. My current avatar being one of my favorites.

20181229_113409.jpg

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think optimism for Ridley has gone up a good bit in general since the launch period when confidence in him was at an all-time low, which was in part due to people not having nearly as much an understanding of his moveset and options as they do now. Statements from like Trela there as well as results from them and others merely prove what some of us already know though, that Ridley’s (*gasp*) not a bad character.

Ah, I should try some more screenshots again sometime when I’m not labbing or practicing against friends. That is a particularly unique one.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Kind of lowballing Ridley here. Angled F-Tilt can actually outspace some of the swordies even as they try jumping in to hit Ridley's notorious blindspot. And can't forget that his tail is a disjoint most of the time, so at the least D-Tilt will clank with swords. FAir can at least contest other swordies so they don't have full reign in the air, the only issue being FAir is deceptively brief and easy to mistime and whiff.

People keep saying Ridley is basically a sword character, and the more I use him the more I have to agree. What's currently working out for me is mastering his aerial movement in order to space NAir as effectively as possible. Mix in his FAir and BAir, grounded disjoints, Plasma for foes that keep their distance, and Ridley's overall ground mobility, I really don't have that much difficulty approaching. It's because he does have that terrible disadvantage state that I can understand believing he can't approach. But he has a good enough kit to play forwardly. Which is what he wants in order to take advantage of his amazing advantage state.

And that's the #1 thing all Ridley players need to maximize and master: His advantage game - specifically popping people in the air, reading their landings, punishing, and extending the advantage even longer. I'd go as far as to say it's a total failure when the opponent's able to get back to neutral after only one stint in the air. UAir, UTilt, USmash, Plasma Stream to catch the landing, DSmash, SP Rush, and of course NAir... or a good ol' plain grab; All good tools to juggle, tech chase, extend, and punish. But we gotta get better at it. I certainly do.

---

As an aside, nice that Vreyvus's Ridley was mentioned for taking 2nd at a European Major. But also just recently we had Venom's Ridley go toe-to-toe against Ally's Snake at a Grand Finals - with Venom being the one who sent Ally to Losers. Unfortunately couldn't take it all, but still a great showing that could have gone differently with more Snake matchup experience.

We will see how it goes, but i dont see ridley being a relevant character in the meta in the upcoming months/years. He has too many bad MU but he is def not as bad as some others have labeled him, he has some strong stuff but thats it, not overhyping nor underrating him, just a decent/solid character.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
can't get out of 60,000-100,000 hell, :( am i really only better then 60,000 players out of the million who play the game ?

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
can't get out of 60,000-100,000 hell, :( am i really only better then 60,000 players out of the million who play the game ?
Are you having fun? Thats the important part. Not some arbitrary value next to your profile pic.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
yes but being told how much you suck every-time you play is little discouraging

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
yes but being told how much you suck every-time you play is little discouraging
Don't take GSP too seriously, a lot of it is factored in from how well you do in classic mode and all that. Heck every character I haven't played as has a GSP of 2.7 million just because of me playing a lot of classic mode. If you're getting GSP solely from online it's gonna take you a heck of a lot longer to get anywhere near elite, so don't be discouraged by your lower number because you haven't done literally every other thing possible in the game. Also realize that GSP can be gained extremely quickly over just a couple of matches. I managed to get my DK (a character I just enjoy occasionally for dunks) up 800000 GSP just from 3 matches, and I'm pretty sure my faffing about not entirely understanding the secrets of DK was not worth more than that many people.

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
The GSP system is pretty wack. I feel like it discourages people from rematching fighters, since you get punished for wanting to stick around in a match with a guy that can beat you.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The GSP system is pretty wack. I feel like it discourages people from rematching fighters, since you get punished for wanting to stick around in a match with a guy that can beat you.
Most ranked modes in competitive don't allow rematches at all.

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
Most ranked modes in competitive don't allow rematches at all.
Well in this case Quickplay is ranked mode and if you want to dodge gsp you have to go into an arena where you can find yourself waiting 15 minutes between matches if you take a loss. Even the previous "For Fun" shenanigan matches are now part of ranked quickplay.

I'd rather compare Smash to it's previous installment rather than what other franchises do. In Smash Wii U there were times I was able to burn over an hour fighting the same guy if the two of us were close in skill and we were allowed to change characters to mix it up between rounds. In Smash Ultimate that would a huge gamble because it would come with the risk of your score getting obliterated if the guy has an edge on you.

That's not to say there haven't been improvements in online. I'm glad that I can actually get a good variety of stages instead of just final destination in a 1v1

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
got my million after a win against chrome and a cloud, I hate sword characters

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
got my million after a win against chrome and a cloud, I hate sword characters
Yeah, they're everywhere Online, luckily Ridley is decently equipped to deal with them given he has his own share of disjoints, it's hell coming up against them with the likes of Falcon and Puff. Happy to hear you're making progress regardless.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Not today.png

"Look what I just got, MB!"

Sudden Shock "!"

"If I remember correctly...you need this little fellow for your "Master Plan"...Am I right?"

"YES! GIVE IT TO ME!"

"Woah there, Mother...just allow me to give the encapsulated jellyfish one last glance before you set your evil plan in motion!"

"Make it quick, Ridley!"

"Alright, alright...I am just gonna look at it closely and...Oops!" Drops the capsule and Metroid escapes"Butterfingers!"

"NO! THE LARVA IS FLYING AWAY"

"Relax! I will go after it and catch it...eventually! Sayonara!"

xD This is how I imagine the whole deal with the Metroid escaping happened. Ridley being utterly fed up with MB's BS that he did this while laughing his heart out internally.

It was honestly just some practice. Makes me wish I was able to do a full comic eventually revolving around Rids and his misadventures with Roidley, with a few memories he sometimes would tell the silly dragon about to pass the time, like this one with MB for example.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, they're everywhere Online, luckily Ridley is decently equipped to deal with them given he has his own share of disjoints, it's hell coming up against them with the likes of Falcon and Puff. Happy to hear you're making progress regardless.
I'm having an easier time with sword characters while playing as Ridley than I thought I would, but I feel like most sword characters in Ultimate have an advantage over at least 2/3 of the cast. Along with having a disjointed hitbox, their impressive speed makes them an absolute pain to deal with. Their recoveries are easy to exploit, but Ridley's is far worse than any swordfighter's.

AndreaAC

VANDALISM copy.png

XD So, yesterday I got gifted a Pikachu drawing by one of my little relatives, and I couldn't help but to imagine what would happen if Ridley found himself alone and with that drawing of all things! xD It's funny to photoshop that sort of things! Also, one thing to notice is that one little relative really likes my Silly Roidley.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm having an easier time with sword characters while playing as Ridley than I thought I would, but I feel like most sword characters in Ultimate have an advantage over at least 2/3 of the cast. Along with having a disjointed hitbox, their impressive speed makes them an absolute pain to deal with. Their recoveries are easy to exploit, but Ridley's is far worse than any swordfighter's.
I can only see a handful of ''swordfighters'' having a noticeably better recovery than Ridley: the Links when they use their bombs properly, Jump Shulk, the Pits and Limit Cloud.

Can Chrom just stand on the ledge and poke Ridley for free trying to to get to the edge the way Ridley does to him?

IronTed

Smash Ace
View attachment 186863

"Look what I just got, MB!"

Sudden Shock "!"

"If I remember correctly...you need this little fellow for your "Master Plan"...Am I right?"

"YES! GIVE IT TO ME!"

"Woah there, Mother...just allow me to give the encapsulated jellyfish one last glance before you set your evil plan in motion!"

"Make it quick, Ridley!"

"Alright, alright...I am just gonna look at it closely and...Oops!" Drops the capsule and Metroid escapes"Butterfingers!"

"NO! THE LARVA IS FLYING AWAY"

"Relax! I will go after it and catch it...eventually! Sayonara!"

xD This is how I imagine the whole deal with the Metroid escaping happened. Ridley being utterly fed up with MB's BS that he did this while laughing his heart out internally.

It was honestly just some practice. Makes me wish I was able to do a full comic eventually revolving around Rids and his misadventures with Roidley, with a few memories he sometimes would tell the silly dragon about to pass the time, like this one with MB for example.

And shortly thereafter its clone would kill Ridley's clone.

Was it ever confirmed if the Mother Brain from Super was a clone? I've always assumed it was the same, but I've heard the clone idea thrown around sometimes.

AndreaAC

And shortly thereafter its clone would kill Ridley's clone.

Was it ever confirmed if the Mother Brain from Super was a clone? I've always assumed it was the same, but I've heard the clone idea thrown around sometimes.
xD Wait, you mean the Metroid's clone? Ii still don't buy the whole "somehow the clone of the baby Metroid turned into a Queen rather than a gigantic version of itself". But well, that happens in Other M, because plot convenience. I have a totally different idea regarding Other M as a whole in comparison to the actual Metroid universe, but let's go with that!

As far as I know, it is the same one from the first game...the only different one is MB and that's a FED screwup. o-o

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
View attachment 186902
XD So, yesterday I got gifted a Pikachu drawing by one of my little relatives, and I couldn't help but to imagine what would happen if Ridley found himself alone and with that drawing of all things! xD It's funny to photoshop that sort of things! Also, one thing to notice is that one little relative really likes my Silly Roidley.
This reminds me of Wario and Waluigi. Ridley would fit right in xD.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I can only see a handful of ''swordfighters'' having a noticeably better recovery than Ridley: the Links when they use their bombs properly, Jump Shulk, the Pits and Limit Cloud.

Can Chrom just stand on the ledge and poke Ridley for free trying to to get to the edge the way Ridley does to him?
Most swordfighters have an average recovery at best, but almost all of them are somewhat easy to gimp. Not saying Ridley can't be a total pain in the butt to deal with when trying to get back to the ledge, but I feel like he's even easier to gimp than a majority of swordfighters. His up-special getting tweaked would help tremendously.

IronTed

Smash Ace
xD Wait, you mean the Metroid's clone? Ii still don't buy the whole "somehow the clone of the baby Metroid turned into a Queen rather than a gigantic version of itself". But well, that happens in Other M, because plot convenience. I have a totally different idea regarding Other M as a whole in comparison to the actual Metroid universe, but let's go with that!

As far as I know, it is the same one from the first game...the only different one is MB and that's a FED screwup. o-o
No, I don't mean The Baby's the Metroid's clone (although I never really thought about it that way), I meant MB. I love dissecting Other M's "plot", but it's been over 8 years since it came out, no need to beat a dead horse. With that said, have you read Korval's TV Tropes review of Other M? It's longish but definitely worth the read.

I agree it's the same one (as if weirder, harder to explain things haven't happened in Metroid anyway), but the clone idea's been thrown around in some circles. Same for Kraid, too.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

No, I don't mean The Baby's the Metroid's clone (although I never really thought about it that way), I meant MB. I love dissecting Other M's "plot", but it's been over 8 years since it came out, no need to beat a dead horse. With that said, have you read Korval's TV Tropes review of Other M? It's long but definitely worth the read.
xD Oh yes, I have read it and it had me laughing so hard! That and watching Retsupurae's Character Assassination Authorized video is the only way I can stand watching the entire "movie".

I agree it's the same one (as if weirder, harder to explain things haven't happened in Metroid anyway), but the clone idea's been thrown around in some circles. Same for Kraid, too.
And to Ridley's case too, they all thought every single one of Ridley's forms were for some reason a clone of the original (I don't remember where I came across that statement, but it as a long time ago), until Other M came along and showed that it has been the same one, always. (Though in my headcanon, Roidley is not a clone of the actual Ridley in any way since he comes from another dimension filled with baby metaphors and a daddy issued Samus).

IronTed

Smash Ace
xD Oh yes, I have read it and it had me laughing so hard! That and watching Retsupurae's Character Assassination Authorized video is the only way I can stand watching the entire "movie".
Glad to see you have amazing taste! Yeah both of those always make me laugh, and in general the latter's Ridley voice is hilarious. Always makes it better.

And to Ridley's case too, they all thought every single one of Ridley's forms were for some reason a clone of the original (I don't remember where I came across that statement, but it as a long time ago), until Other M came along and showed that it has been the same one, always. (Though in my headcanon, Roidley is not a clone of the actual Ridley in any way since he comes from another dimension filled with baby metaphors and a daddy issued Samus).
Yeah the "Ridley is actually a bunch of Ridleys" never stuck with me. Metroid does take itself more seriously than other Nintendo franchises, but still. Debating the finer points of video game franchises is always hard, with inconsistencies and game mechanics.

I never heard that take on Other M, but it's interesting. Mine's always been that it was just a Pirate propaganda film they played after Zebes exploded.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Glad to see you have amazing taste! Yeah both of those always make me laugh, and in general the latter's Ridley voice is hilarious. Always make it better.
xP Then just for those exceptional cases where they make it more fun thanks to the commentary, we can consider the watered down movie a blessing, really!

Yeah the "Ridley is actually a bunch of Ridleys" never stuck with me. Metroid does take itself more seriously than other Nintendo franchises, but still. Debating the finer points of video game franchises is always hard, with inconsistencies and game mechanics.
I totally agree, and at least the Metroid Timeline is not a mess like the Zelda one (it got me even more confused than I already was).
I never heard that take on Other M, but it's interesting. Mine's always been that it was just a Pirate propaganda film they played after Zebes exploded.
xD Thanks! I know I made an amalgamation of ideas and therefore a mess with it, but anything so I can justify it in the most "kind of" reasonable way possible. I should write all of it down tho, because it is pretty extensive.

XDD Oh gosh, you know what I feel it would be if it was a movie the Pirates played probably in Urtraghus after Zebes blew up? What if it was actually made by the Federation *not the Prime Feds...the other ones... and in one of the Pirate raids, one of them got it by accident...then it got played for everyone to see...causing everyone mostly to fall asleep, others to laugh, other to puke...and of course, an outrageous burst of fury from Ridley himself.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
xP Then just for those exceptional cases where they make it more fun thanks to the commentary, we can consider the watered down movie a blessing, really!
So true! That's also why I believe in having an optimistic outlook. Even bad things and things we dislike can help us, if only we have an open mind.

I totally agree, and at least the Metroid Timeline is not a mess like the Zelda one (it got me even more confused than I already was).
Yeah I'm not a super big Zelda fan by any means, but that timeline is a mess. Another example of the fans taking everything Nintendo does too seriously. I saw a Mario timeline, it was massive. It even counted the GBA ports as alternate timelines lol. That person was dedicated if nothing else.

xD Thanks! I know I made an amalgamation of ideas and therefore a mess with it, but anything so I can justify it in the most "kind of" reasonable way possible. I should write all of it down tho, because it is pretty extensive.

XDD Oh gosh, you know what I feel it would be if it was a movie the Pirates played probably in Urtraghus after Zebes blew up? What if it was actually made by the Federation *not the Prime Feds...the other ones... and in one of the Pirate raids, one of them got it by accident...then it got played for everyone to see...causing everyone mostly to fall asleep, others to laugh, other to puke...and of course, an outrageous burst of fury from Ridley himself.
I've heard the GF propaganda theory, but what you just said is an interesting take, I like it! I wonder who'd be more offended among them, the generic pirates, Ridley, MB, or Kraid (for being excluded)? At least Phantoon would like it lol.

You should definitely write your ideas down, I've started doing that with my own ideas (not video game related though), and it's been neat.

AndreaAC

So true! That's also why I believe in having an optimistic outlook. Even bad things and things we dislike can help us, if only we have an open mind.
:D Exactly! I am totally aware of that thanks to how my hatred for Roidley turned into something I ended up adoring when I added my own flare to it. xP And this also reflects on my Ridley as well...that went from wanting to kill him to protect and love the silly goose. xD And actually, I don't hate the in-game Roidley on its own, really. Other M Samus is the one that now gets on my nerves after having played the real one from the Primes and whatnot.

Yeah I'm not a super big Zelda fan by any means, but that timeline is a mess. Another example of the fans taking everything Nintendo does too seriously. I saw a Mario timeline, it was massive. It even counted the GBA ports as alternate timelines lol. That person was dedicated if nothing else.
O-O Dang...I cannot even imagine how that went...Mario has never been a franchise that should be taken that seriously when it comes to the order of events, really...but yeah, there's nothing wrong on being dedicated about anything. At least this person tried their best.

XD Funny, my headcanon on the whole Metroid Timeline deal, obviously focusing on the dragon, I even included the Smash games thanks to the SSE ordeal and it showing it as its own world and whatnot. I think I tried to put everything in order, sometimes with those games in betwen (with the exception of Ultimate)...and I got a headache. It's pretty complicated.

I've heard the GF propaganda theory, but what you just said is an interesting take, I like it! I wonder who'd be more offended among them, the generic pirates, Ridley, MB, or Kraid (for being excluded)? At least Phantoon would like it lol.
THANKS! Glad you do! xD I feel Ridley would feel offended the most, but one thing is for sure: Everyone, including him, MB, Kraid and Phantoon would laugh the hell out of the PTSD attack scene.

Meanwhile, Samus it also watching the movie also, in her Gunship, and when that part comes, she destroys the TV or whatever she is using to watch it.

You should definitely write your ideas down, I've started doing that with my own ideas (not video game related though), and it's been neat.
:D Awesome! ;3 Hope those are coming out smoothly for ya, my friend! xD And yeah, I really should, even though english is not my first language (I just cannot use Spanish...).

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
220 Hours logged in so far. Not just me though, my 3 and 6 year old often play when I'm not there but gadzooks I'm hooked!

Ridley boy... I often catch myself thinking, "wow I'm really playing as Ridley aren't I?" Couple that with those early weekend mornings where the wife and both kids are sleeping which leaves me with a perfect connection and no distractions and holy smokes I am in heaven!

I love how quick people are to dismiss certain characters. Think Chrom before release when everyone saw his recovery lol. Chrom is a beast and I kind of like it that he's over used. I enjoy that people sleep on Ridley because man I am figuring that mutha'flether out! Down Air and Up B recovery, moves that many write off as useless lol. Come play me and watch how I do it in my neighborhood!

When I'm recovering high I will Up B and aim it forward down. Holding up afterwards will cause Ridley to latch on to the edge. If someone tries to contest it they better watch out, that outer space drop kick is a doozy! Do the same move aiming away from the stage but right at the ledge and you can catch people with the same spike but it's even more unexpected! Ridley's feet pass the ledge before he grabs on so it is an awesome spike! Just takes practice.

Down Air man! Make a full jump off the edge and Down air an opponent's low recovery, before Ridley suicides use his last 2 jumps straight up plus Up B and you are back with all the benefits of that move and no landing lag!

Stages like Pokemon Stadium 1/2 and both animal crossing stages have a really high floor for the blast zone. In that case use at least 2 dull jumps before you down air off the side to catch someone, then 1 more jump plus up B to recover. The higher Ridley is the easier it is to use that move off stage and still make it back comfortably.

All 3 of my big boys can pick characters and carry them off the edge! I am loving this game! The balance really is something amazing as well! Such a huge step up from previous games!

Can I get a woah bundy?!

IronTed

Smash Ace
:D Exactly! I am totally aware of that thanks to how my hatred for Roidley turned into something I ended up adoring when I added my own flare to it. xP And this also reflects on my Ridley as well...that went from wanting to kill him to protect and love the silly goose. xD And actually, I don't hate the in-game Roidley on its own, really. Other M Samus is the one that now gets on my nerves after having played the real one from the Primes and whatnot.

O-O Dang...I cannot even imagine how that went...Mario has never been a franchise that should be taken that seriously when it comes to the order of events, really...but yeah, there's nothing wrong on being dedicated about anything. At least this person tried their best.

Mario-Timeline-Smaller-Web2-noscale.jpg

/SPOILER]

Yeah this guy's nuts. It's very cool though, even if a tad on the absurd side.

XD Funny, my headcanon on the whole Metroid Timeline deal, obviously focusing on the dragon, I even included the Smash games thanks to the SSE ordeal and it showing it as its own world and whatnot. I think I tried to put everything in order, sometimes with those games in betwen (with the exception of Ultimate)...and I got a headache. It's pretty complicated.

THANKS! Glad you do! xD I feel Ridley would feel offended the most, but one thing is for sure: Everyone, including him, MB, Kraid and Phantoon would laugh the hell out of the PTSD attack scene.

Meanwhile, Samus it also watching the movie also, in her Gunship, and when that part comes, she destroys the TV or whatever she is using to watch it.
Interesting. Do you have any interesting ideas for Federation Force? I feel like there's something there worthwhile, but everyone ignores it (which is fair).

I always liked the Space Pirate Confederation's take. I wish he it was ongoing, because I'd love to see his take on Fusion. Mama Robotnik (was on GAF, no idea if they're on ERA) had a cool take on Metroid. Some liberties sure, but it was very cool nonetheless.

:D Awesome! ;3 Hope those are coming out smoothly for ya, my friend! xD And yeah, I really should, even though english is not my first language (I just cannot use Spanish...).
Thanks! Yeah I'm a total novice, but it's cool. Not gonna lie, this conversation is actually kinda inspiring me to do something with Metroid sometime. Sometimes I think the obscure things have the most potential.

I didn't know English wasn't your first language, you use it excellently.

Edit: I messed up the spoiler haha, forgive me.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

View attachment 187094
/SPOILER]

Interesting. Do you have any interesting ideas for Federation Force? I feel like there's something there worthwhile, but everyone ignores it (which is fair).

I always liked the Space Pirate Confederation's take. I wish he it was ongoing, because I'd love to see his take on Fusion. Mama Robotnik (was on GAF, no idea if they're on ERA) had a cool take on Metroid. Some liberties sure, but it was very cool nonetheless.

Thanks! Yeah I'm a total novice, but it's cool. Not gonna lie, this conversation is actually kinda inspiring me to do something with Metroid sometime. Sometimes I think the obscure things have the most potential.

xP That Timeline is TOO BIG!

....Oops! I always forget that game even exists! I could be...err, The Prime FED's futuristic Futbolito game just because they got bored! :D

XD Funny that you mention Space Pirate Confederation, since a long time ago, that hilarious story was part of the inspiration for my own Ridley, and even Silly Roidley...I just recalled how funny it was, but yeah, it is a shame that the author didn't continue with that comedic fic any longer.

:D YAY! I hope you do take a chance to do that! :3 And thank you...though I still have a lot to learn about the language!

:p It's okay, it happens!

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So for something different on my end, I've been coming up with names for the rest of Ridley's moveset. :)
Trying to capture the personality of each of his moves. Some names may be a bit overly elaborate, but I like that kind of naming style.

A,A,A (Gentlemen) - Rip and Tear
A,A,A (Rapid) - Fatal Flurry
Side A - Tail Bayonet
Down A - Serpent's Guile
Up A - Render Arc
Dash A - Jaws of Death

Side Smash - Atomic Scream
Up Smash - Zebesian Moon
Down Smash - Bloody Rampart

Neutral Air - Somersault Blade
Side Air - Violent Whip
Back Air - Mockingbird Kick
Up Air - Skree Hunter
Down Air - Invader Stamp

Pummel - Execution
Forward Throw - Worthless...
Back Throw - Useless...
Up Throw - Helpless...
Down Throw - Thoughtless...

For Side Smash, I actually came up with that before I realized Ridley's Final Smash was called "Plasma Scream". Still keeping my name idea though.
Up Air gets its name for the same reason some people called it "The Skyrim".
And I'd like somebody to explain why I would call Ridley's BAir "Mockingbird Kick". It's probably the most clever name in my list. :p

EDIT - How'd I forget Dash Attack? I even had a name ready for it!

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
View attachment 187094
/SPOILER]

How do you make a timeline where Paper Mario and TTYD are in a separate spot from Super Paper Mario, which references those two?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Haven't been here in awhile. I just wanted to pop in and say that I got my Ridley amiibo shipped in Yesterday, and today I've leveled him up to level 50 in an afternoon. I'm not sure if Amiibo's have been nerfed in Ultimate, or if I'm just better at Smash than I was during 4, but I'm happy to find myself holding my own well enough against a fully leveled Amiibo. I'm teaching my little virtual Rids well how to gentlemen with fair and how to edgeguard with fireballs. Verdict is still out whether Amiibo's learn how to taunt after kills like theu did in four. I tired to teach it how to crouch taunt or dash dance, no dice afaik.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Haven't been here in awhile. I just wanted to pop in and say that I got my Ridley amiibo shipped in Yesterday, and today I've leveled him up to level 50 in an afternoon. I'm not sure if Amiibo's have been nerfed in Ultimate, or if I'm just better at Smash than I was during 4, but I'm happy to find myself holding my own well enough against a fully leveled Amiibo. I'm teaching my little virtual Rids well how to gentlemen with fair and how to edgeguard with fireballs. Verdict is still out whether Amiibo's learn how to taunt after kills like theu did in four. I tired to teach it how to crouch taunt or dash dance, no dice afaik.
They definitely are able to learn to taunt, although whether it's after a kill is still out there. I've trained a lot of amiibos over the past week or two and when I'd taunt after every kill they'd learn to just taunt randomly in the middle of the match sometimes to provoke a response to immediately counteract it but mostly just to mess with me. It's weird but I like to think of it as a neat little character trait of being complete showmen.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say (as a break from Smash Ultimate-ing for almost a month and a half of this glorious game being out) that landing :ultridley:'s :GCD::GCB: move is one of the most satisfying things to do in a match. (Not that you didn't knew that already but still...)

And I am getting better on landing it. It helps as a way to 'scare' your opponent to not approach carelessly and if it lands, that will be the beggining of the end for them.

That conception of Ridley being not much of a rushdown but a 'Wait And See. Strategize. Lock. Destroy.' type of character could not be more true. Just like the Space Pirate general himself, that is the most effective way of playing and adapting as him.

BTW, glad to see people realizing this (both online, tournaments and other places) and taking it into consideration of Ridley's DEADLY potential.

:bowser:.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So for something different on my end, I've been coming up with names for the rest of Ridley's moveset. :)
Trying to capture the personality of each of his moves. Some names may be a bit overly elaborate, but I like that kind of naming style.

A,A,A (Gentlemen) - Rip and Tear
A,A,A (Rapid) - Fatal Flurry
Side A - Tail Bayonet
Down A - Serpent's Guile
Up A - Render Arc

Side Smash - Atomic Scream
Up Smash - Zebesian Moon
Down Smash - Bloody Rampart

Neutral Air - Somersault Blade
Side Air - Violent Whip
Back Air - Mockingbird Kick
Up Air - Skree Hunter
Down Air - Invader Stamp

Pummel - Execution
Forward Throw - Worthless...
Back Throw - Useless...
Up Throw - Helpless...
Down Throw - Thoughtless...

For Side Smash, I actually came up with that before I realized Ridley's Final Smash was called "Plasma Scream". Still keeping my name idea though.
Up Air gets its name for the same reason some people called it "The Skyrim".
And I'd like somebody to explain why I would call Ridley's BAir "Mockingbird Kick". It's probably the most clever name in my list. :p
I'd prefer his forward aerial be Pirate Triplethrust, his up tilt be Rending Wingtalon and down aerial be Ultrastrike Projector, myself. For the side smash, Ridley really doesn't use nuclear power so keep it Plasma, but rename it to be a roar instead (so, Plasma Roar).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've seen a lot of people say they don't like that the neck is thicker/the head is smaller than they're ever depicted usually, but I like it as "what if Ridley less pterodactyl, and was more like a mythological creature" vibe (kinda makes me think of a gargoyle), and I like how faithful it is compared to their Bowser/K. Rool.

Top Bottom