• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, I am glad that Palutena's Guidance is still a thing. Shame about Snake's Codec but, oh well. What can be done at that point. Love that Single-Player modes are getting THIS much attention. Sakurai really heard our cries for distinct elements with the characters.

:bowser:.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I going to watch the full video later , but there seems to be some goodies in it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, I am glad that Palutena's Guidance is still a thing. Shame about Snake's Codec but, oh well. What can be done at that point. Love that Single-Player modes are getting THIS much attention. Sakurai really heard our cries for distinct elements with the characters.

I'm digging this quality-over-quantity approach to single-player modes. Yeah, we lost a number of them going from 4, but honestly they were only "fun" as a very, very brief diversion from the busy schedule of unlocking things.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How far does everyone think we'll have to get in WoL before we unlock Ridley?

I'm hoping he'll be one of the first characters we can unlock since he's one of Ultimate's most promoted newcomers, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up somewhere on the far edge of the map. I could see him being in that outer space area with Falco, and unfortunately, it looks like it'll be pretty far away from the starting point.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I'm hoping he'll be one of the first characters we can unlock since he's one of Ultimate's most promoted newcomers, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up somewhere on the far edge of the map. I could see him being in that outer space area with Falco, and unfortunately, it looks like it'll be pretty far away from the starting point.
Well you can choose your path, so it could be anything from somewhat early to very late depending on your choices (and possibly using a guide). Also doesn't factor the potential difficulty of the surrounding fights.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

You can probably rush to certain points pretty quickly as long as you know where they are and how to get there in advance, but even in the case that it does take a long time doing it from World of Light, word from the Nintendo reps at the recent media event is that unlocking the full roster shouldn't take more than a few hours, so it's likely alternative methods might actually be the fastest way to unlock everyone.

Samus being available from the start might also give us a ticket to unlocking him practically immediately.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well you can choose your path, so it could be anything from somewhat early to very late depending on your choices (and possibly using a guide). Also doesn't factor the potential difficulty of the surrounding fights.
You can probably rush to certain points pretty quickly as long as you know where they are and how to get there in advance, but even in the case that it does take a long time doing it from World of Light, word from the Nintendo reps at the recent media event is that unlocking the full roster shouldn't take more than a few hours, so it's likely alternative methods might actually be the fastest way to unlock everyone.

Samus being available from the start might also give us a ticket to unlocking him practically immediately.
If I'm desperate enough, I can always use his amiibo.

I'd prefer to unlock him the natural way, but if random characters can be unlocked through various single-player modes, I guess it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Also Giga Bowser is the final boss of Mario's Classic mode.

Wonder if the Ridley clone will be Samus's.
nope2.png

XD This would be Ridley's reaction if Master Hand asked him to borrow Roidley for Samus' run through the Classic Mode.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Ridley vs. Other M Ridley seems like a good potential battle but who knows. Chances are we may see Samus at the end.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
What I mean is maybe a Stamina battle against Samus, perhaps? Or A Metroid Queen. That would be rad.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
anyone else feel like both ridley and K.Rool are just the adult characters among the newcomers?

it honestly seems weird imaging a kid playing this game and then wondering who the hell this ridley guy is or this big fat croco king

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
anyone else feel like both ridley and K.Rool are just the adult characters among the newcomers?

it honestly seems weird imaging a kid playing this game and then wondering who the hell this ridley guy is or this big fat croco king
Maybe, but that's not to say kids won't pick up the character without knowing who they are. When I was 10 and first started playing smash with Brawl, I had no idea who :ultfalco::ultfox::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpit::ultrob::ultsamus::ultsheik::ultsnake::ultwolf: or :ultlucario: were, but that didn't stop me from falling in love with this cast of weirdos I had no connection to (:ultlucario: even became my first main before I even knew the term. a karate dog with spike fists was just really cool to 10 y/o me). Kids like goofy looking characters and dragons. Odds are they'll if anything inspire at least a few kids to look up these characters as they get older and play their games. :ultkrool: especially might be in a good spot if he gets another crack at bring the villain of a new Donkey Kong game. Kids will see him and go "Hey! That's the guy from Smash Bros!". You're probably right though that some kids might have to get a bit older before they play a Prime game, but maybe not. Some kids have gifts yo.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

You can add Simon Belmont to that list too. Which is good, much better than Smash 4's mantra of "only characters with games released within three years of the project plan, except the Pokemon placeholder and Duck Hunt."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

It differs from person to person. Some kids might recognize Ridley but not Chrom. Some people might recognize K. Rool but not Richter.

Honestly, the only newcomers who a majority of younger fans should recognize are Inkling, Daisy, Isabelle, and Incineroar. In other words, characters from popular franchises that've been very active in recent years.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
See, that's what more guidance should be like. More info on the character and their history, and less making fun of Pit or running with a single joke.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Oh boy, here we go!

I knew from supplementary materials that Ridley built a robot version of himself, but hearing it vocalized I can't help but think of Ridley as a gearhead in the Metroid universe.

Do you think he maintains spaceships and motorcycles between missions?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
honestly though if a guidance is simply palutena spewing off info from wikipedia then she could be replaced by just about any character and it would make just about as much sense

a reason people miss the snake codecs is that they actually had snake reacting to these bizarre fighters whose background was explain to him via campbell mei ling or otacon

if it's not Weird Meme's it's just a boring info dump from wikipedia during palutena's guidance

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
honestly though if a guidance is simply palutena spewing off info from wikipedia then she could be replaced by just about any character and it would make just about as much sense

a reason people miss the snake codecs is that they actually had snake reacting to these bizarre fighters whose background was explain to him via campbell mei ling or otacon

if it's not Weird Meme's it's just a boring info dump from wikipedia during palutena's guidance
"Space Pirates..."
"Her parents?"
"Phazon?"
"Narcissist..."
"Psycho Mantis?"

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
I actually enjoy this palutena's guidance, it feels like a foreshadowing of us in the past, trying to explain Ridley to others and convince them why he's important and why he should be a fighter (minus the size debate of course...)

Also i like how pit reacted on how the lore isn't helping him on the fight, and burst a laught at him questioning if Robot Ridley it's canon, so the humor it's still there. (And actually happy that it wasn't just a big meme-fest about his size like some people wanted it to be.)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh boy, here we go!

As someone who is a fan of uprising but isn't much of a fan of the Palutena Guidance in both 4 and what we have seen in Ultimate.

The "Is that canon?" part got me good, mostly because anyone who doesn't know anything about Ridley or Metroid in general would ask the same question after hearing what Palutena said.

Also, it's quit nice that they referenced Omega Ridley, considering it isn't the most beloved or iconic form Ridley as, despite it's cool design.

Finally, "RIDLEY CONFIRM!" will always bring a smile to my face, so in all, I liked that guidance.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean sure, having Snake's codecs back or both his and the KI ones would've been nice/ideal, but Palutena's Guidance alone is more than enough to make due with, especially on the characters they go the extra mile on paying homage too, which we were lucky with there.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

That's why I liked the codecs more, too. It has these (relatively) realistic characters reacting to and describing all these absurd Nintendo characters. Dedede's codec is one of my favorites.

Whereas with Palutena's Guidance, it's these already fantastical characters describing other fantastical characters, so I don't find it as interesting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, Pit & Ridley actually occupy similar positions in their universes, being commanding officers working under a powerful female. Does anyone think they're trying to establish a rivalry between the two based on that?

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You know, Pit & Ridley actually occupy similar positions in their universes, being commanding officers working under a powerful female. Does anyone think they're trying to establish a rivalry between the two based on that?
So does that make Dark Samus Palutena's rival?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To be honest, I like that guidance. Of the characters in the Smash games, Ridley is one of the bunch where you don't get everything about him without digging for it since Metroid is never heavy in story and a lot of details can be easily glossed over. So having a place in the game where someone gives you the full story on him is appreciated to me since it gives people a better access to understanding his history and character without having to go out of their way (well, completely out of their way) to do it.

Additionally, I'll also give them credit for referencing him being behind Robot Ridley's creation and him being a narcissist. That fact hasn't left the Zero Mission interview as it's only vaguely implied at all in the games or even mentioned in manuals or trophies (which may be why Pit makes the 'is that canon?' joke), so that's a pretty obscure detail for them to insert in there since only the most informed on the character would be aware of that.

I love these alts, I'm going to have such a hard time picking out which one I'll use for him.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I find the Palutena's guidences to be rather hit or miss, but that one was pretty good. Viridi calling Ridley a Narcissist and the "Is that canon?" were the definite highlights.

Palutena listing off Ridley's forms, she almost sounds like a fan.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
; u ; I am so freakin' excited for this game all thanks to Rids and after the guidence, more ideas are flowing in my mind...!

Well, I will be away for the holidays, hopefully I will get back to Rids and doing commissions when I return.

C: I want to wish a very happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
To be honest, I like that guidance. Of the characters in the Smash games, Ridley is one of the bunch where you don't get everything about him without digging for it since Metroid is never heavy in story and a lot of details can be easily glossed over. So having a place in the game where someone gives you the full story on him is appreciated to me since it gives people a better access to understanding his history and character without having to go out of their way (well, completely out of their way) to do it.

Additionally, I'll also give them credit for referencing him being behind Robot Ridley's creation and him being a narcissist. That fact hasn't left the Zero Mission interview as it's only vaguely implied at all in the games or even mentioned in manuals or trophies (which may be why Pit makes the 'is that canon?' joke), so that's a pretty obscure detail for them to insert in there since only the most informed on the character would be aware of that.

I love these alts, I'm going to have such a hard time picking out which one I'll use for him.
Not to mention "Cunning God of Death" making it as his boxing alias. That's a lot of love for Zero Mission and everything related to it, including the manga personality.

Just mentioning Omega Ridley and Phazon makes me wonder what they'll do for Dark Samus, though. She certainly has much more different about her than your average echo.

Top Bottom