• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I would lose my sheet if Dark Samus was added as an echo fighter. By far my favorite Metroid villain.

On the subject, I wonder if she will be back in Metroid Prime 4. Would be weird to have a Metroid Prime game without... the Metroid Prime herself.
Tanabe has gone on record once or twice saying Dark Samus and Phazon are done. Prime 4 will likely go in a new direction.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I bet it looks awesome when Pichu grabs Ridley. You know why? Because Ridley’s in SMASH!

Better concern: how hysterical will the inevitable Bayonetta taunt move swap be?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Tanabe has gone on record once or twice saying Dark Samus and Phazon are done. Prime 4 will likely go in a new direction.
So they are using the name Metroid Prime just for marketing then. So silly. I have no problems with Dark Samus being gone, but the naming of the game is nonsensical without her. Unless, I don't know, the new villain is affected by her legacy somehow, but since Phazon is also gone, I doubt it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So they are using the name Metroid Prime just for marketing then. So silly. I have no problems with Dark Samus being gone, but the naming of the game is nonsensical without her. Unless, I don't know, the new villain is affected by her legacy somehow, but since Phazon is also gone, I doubt it.
I mean, the double meaning was nice, but “Prime” is the sub-franchise Nintendo uses to denote first person Metroid games. Hunters didn’t even have Metroids in it, let alone the Metroid Prime.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I tried to get some sleep before writing up a post that could serve as some sort of conclusion on my part, I've written a lot of long posts in support of Ridley over the years, so I wanted to do a last one, but I'm still just as hyped as yesterday, so if I come off as sappy just know that it can't be helped.

Ridley making it into Smash has been my biggest video game related wish for well over a decade now, and it was the first thing in relation to video games I've ever felt so much passion about. He's been my favorite Nintendo character, and by extension my favorite video game character, ever since I got into Metroid in the early-mid 2000s. The series itself also became my favorite video game franchise, and the sole reason I ended up exploring it to begin with was Ridley's appearance in Melee's intro, I thought that if you got to fight enemies like him, then I needed to try it out. It's why it's never been that difficult for me to keep supporting him despite how often people have told me that I've been wrong for wanting it to happen, it's never been a desire that I could possibly have gotten rid of, and neither did I want to do so despite the many disappointments, quite the contrary actually as they somehow just made me want him even more.

When this speculation period started I had absolutely no hope of seeing Ridley getting in, during the Rate Their Chances game I gave him a 1% chance of making it, it's ironic how I always believed he'd make it into Brawl and Smash 4 until the bitter end, and now the one game where I had finally thrown in the towel he's the first reveal. It's a huge credit to the Ridley community that he came back from an impossible situation, and I want to thank the hundreds of different people that have partaken in supporting him alongside me over a 11 year period, and also the people that laid the groundwork for us all the way back during pre-Melee speculation. It should never be understated just how special it is that the Ridley community has spanned so many generations of fans, there's never been anything like it, and never will be again, and now the efforts of every one of them have been immortalized in the game, it's amazing.

Obviously a thank you to Sakurai is also in order, especially after all the criticism I gave him after Smash 4. He had already made his stance clear, so he had absolutely no obligation to go against his own word and maybe even principles to include Ridley, yet he did so. Not only that, but the way Ridley looks and plays is absolutely on point with fan wishes, he's really gone beyond in order to satisfy us. I also want to give a shoutout to Vergeben, who's leaks made for the perfect setup imo, they weren't so conclusive that we had no doubts and the reveal was spoiled, but at the same time they were notable enough that it brought the senior Ridley fanbase together for one last stand, it was as good as it could possibly get.

With that I'm also confident in saying that this will be my last speculation period for any Smash game. I love the series as a whole, but Ridley is why I started partaking in speculation, and he's why I kept coming back, so without him I'll never have the same motivation to speculate on a daily basis. I'll of course see this speculation period out until the end, not only because of the excitement I have for the game, but also in hopes of other character fanbases getting their vindication, particularly the K. Rool fanbase who I've felt has been very tightly knit with the Ridley fanbase since they rose to prominence, they too deserve their prize. After that I don't think you should expect to see me being active on here anymore though.

It's absolutely incredible that it finally happened, and I can't wait to play as him, it has created an excitement in me that I haven't felt since Brawl, Nintendo's all-star game finally has my favorite Nintendo character in it. Cheers everyone.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Its ****ing insane how we have our own character section now

And its ****ing cool

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
This is a momentous day for us Space Pirates. I remember first coming here with a bit of uncertainty as to how Ridley could be a playable character, and joining a fun and active community that endured the hardships of the Smash for 3DS and Wii U.

And here we are 17 years after the Melee E3 Trailer, we finally have Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros. Congratulations, fellow Space Pirates!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Morning everyone.

Sorry I wasn't here much yesterday to bask in the glory of Ridley finally getting in Smash. Regardless, I was elated to learn that the Space Pirate earned himself a spot on the roster, and I was in a good mood the entire day. And the icing on the cake was that incredible Ridley amiibo that lacked the stupid clear support bars that amiibo are infamous for.

I won't carry on too much since so many people here have said it far better than I ever could, but it's nice to see all the hard work Space Pirates put in managed to get Ridley a prime time reveal at E3. I couldn't be more proud to say I supported the guy since Brawl, and I look forward to playing as Ridley on December 7th.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'm late to the party. That reveal felt absolutely surreal to me. I have wanted Ridley in Smash since Melee, but I could never envision what it would look like. When I saw the first gameplay, it immediately felt right.

This reveal will be unforgetable for me, because I was watching the Direct with a Discord group full of detractors, me being the only supporter. It was weird to see how most of them did a complete 180 once they saw footage.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm late to the party. That reveal felt absolutely surreal to me. I have wanted Ridley in Smash since Melee, but I could never envision what it would look like. When I saw the first gameplay, it immediately felt right.

This reveal will be unforgetable for me, because I was watching the Direct with a Discord group full of detractors, me being the only supporter. It was weird to see how most of them did a complete 180 once they saw footage.
If only more people could be like that instead of digging their heels in. Hope you enjoyed the moment!
So is Ridley's Neutral-B just a flurry of fireballs?
Yes. Press it once to spit one bouncing fireball. Charge it for a stream of them. Getting hit in the mouth while charging will cause you to take a lot of damage. His specials seem really great tbh.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I heard about no pogo tail, which is a shame, but I can live without it. He really does look so much ****ing fun to play as. I’m still somewhat in disbelief, not only that he’s in, but that they ****ing NAILED him.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
His design is so amazing too. I think the thing a lot of people on both sides don’t mention (Though it has been recently brought up in the thread) is that Ridley’s case was never being “too big”, it was always that he has some weird ass proportions that would definitely need to have been reworked to size him down instead of sizing down an already made model. I was always in firm belief that all you’d have to do is create a new design for him and they absolutely did that. It was really that simple. A new design + making his moveset aggressive is all they needed to do and they did it. They took the best parts of each of his designs (Mainly Other M, Super Metroid, Brawl, and Samus Returns) and it looks glorious.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I still can't believe he actually got in.

Even after the reveal I'm still processing just "Ridley is in Smash. Yes, that Ridley."

The fact that it's even a new design for Ridley that looks absolutely amazing is icing on the cake. I can't wait for this game to come out.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Yo congratulations boys n gals RIDLEY finally made it into smash ! bigley fits right in ! after cloud you would think people would stop saying its imposible for X character to get in LOL there are no rules to characters getting into smash only sakurai ! (who he himself even said was to big lol)

Man remembering all the Miivese wars N memes over ridley the tears hate & salt over him on both sides & NOW RIDLEY CAN SMASH THEM IN THE FACE ! lol

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I tried to get some sleep before writing up a post that could serve as some sort of conclusion on my part, I've written a lot of long posts in support of Ridley over the years, so I wanted to do a last one, but I'm still just as hyped as yesterday, so if I come off as sappy just know that it can't be helped.

Ridley making it into Smash has been my biggest video game related wish for well over a decade now, and it was the first thing in relation to video games I've ever felt so much passion about. He's been my favorite Nintendo character, and by extension my favorite video game character, ever since I got into Metroid in the early-mid 2000s. The series itself also became my favorite video game franchise, and the sole reason I ended up exploring it to begin with was Ridley's appearance in Melee's intro, I thought that if you got to fight enemies like him, then I needed to try it out. It's why it's never been that difficult for me to keep supporting him despite how often people have told me that I've been wrong for wanting it to happen, it's never been a desire that I could possibly have gotten rid of, and neither did I want to do so despite the many disappointments, quite the contrary actually as they somehow just made me want him even more.

When this speculation period started I had absolutely no hope of seeing Ridley getting in, during the Rate Their Chances game I gave him a 1% chance of making it, it's ironic how I always believed he'd make it into Brawl and Smash 4 until the bitter end, and now the one game where I had finally thrown in the towel he's the first reveal. It's a huge credit to the Ridley community that he came back from an impossible situation, and I want to thank the hundreds of different people that have partaken in supporting him alongside me over a 11 year period, and also the people that laid the groundwork for us all the way back during pre-Melee speculation. It should never be understated just how special it is that the Ridley community has spanned so many generations of fans, there's never been anything like it, and never will be again, and now the efforts of every one of them have been immortalized in the game, it's amazing.

Obviously a thank you to Sakurai is also in order, especially after all the criticism I gave him after Smash 4. He had already made his stance clear, so he had absolutely no obligation to go against his own word and maybe even principles to include Ridley, yet he did so. Not only that, but the way Ridley looks and plays is absolutely on point with fan wishes, he's really gone beyond in order to satisfy us. I also want to give a shoutout to Vergeben, who's leaks made for the perfect setup imo, they weren't so conclusive that we had no doubts and the reveal was spoiled, but at the same time they were notable enough that it brought the senior Ridley fanbase together for one last stand, it was as good as it could possibly get.

With that I'm also confident in saying that this will be my last speculation period for any Smash game. I love the series as a whole, but Ridley is why I started partaking in speculation, and he's why I kept coming back, so without him I'll never have the same motivation to speculate on a daily basis. I'll of course see this speculation period out until the end, not only because of the excitement I have for the game, but also in hopes of other character fanbases getting their vindication, particularly the K. Rool fanbase who I've felt has been very tightly knit with the Ridley fanbase since they rose to prominence, they too deserve their prize. After that I don't think you should expect to see me being active on here anymore though.

It's absolutely incredible that it finally happened, and I can't wait to play as him, it has created an excitement in me that I haven't felt since Brawl, Nintendo's all-star game finally has my favorite Nintendo character in it. Cheers everyone.
It was good having you around. See ya space pirate cowboy.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Oi. One Dragon Ball joke at a time.
On a side note, someone at GameXplain captured this...
View attachment 148069

This one replaces her Dark Samus alt.
This can mean only one thing...
Wait, Samus doesn't have the Dark Samus color alt anymore? ...Uh, has anyone spotted Dark Samus as an Assist Trophy yet? If not...

Oh, boy, wouldn't it be something if we ended up getting TWO Metroid newcomers.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
It's almost surreal having Ridley confirmed after all this time...

But I know who I'm going to start maining once I've unlocked him!

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
I don't like the idea of choosing a main before the game's out and ive had a chance to play all the characters but the more I look at ridley the more I want to play him, he looks so much fun to play

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I strongly recommend forgiving him and actually thanking him for giving Ridley so much publicity, but for your viewing pleasure...

Merry Christmas, folks. ;)

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wonder what justification, if any, they would use to have Ridley and Samus team up if Smash Ultimate has a story mode.
Dude is probably the most pure flipping evil member of the cast right now, beating even Ganondorf, and both would probably die before putting aside their differences to fight Tabuu or Master Core or whoever.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Wonder what justification, if any, they would use to have Ridley and Samus team up if Smash Ultimate has a story mode.
Dude is probably the most pure flipping evil member of the cast right now, beating even Ganondorf, and both would probably die before putting aside their differences to fight Tabuu or Master Core or whoever.
He could be a solo party, Would probably be the best option tbh. I'd love a personal leg of the story where its' just one big (hehe) glorious Ridley rampage, then at the end see him standing with every other character ready to face the BBEG, the other characters being unimportant/low priority when compared to his want to rip the big bad a new one.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
I strongly recommend forgiving him and actually thanking him for giving Ridley so much publicity, but for your viewing pleasure...

Merry Christmas, folks. ;)
I forgot about Shokio a lonnnnnnng time ago, stopped caring about whatever effect he may have had on the perception of Ridley.

But I will admit that this does put a smile on my face

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf did die before he did that though.

Top Bottom