• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Ridley doesn't feel like a fighter to me tbh. He's better as a boss character like he currently imo
I'm going to respectively disagree. Ridley can be a fighter and a boss. His role in the Metroid series should not dictate whether he can be playable or not, it's if the development team can make him work (this can depend on circumstances that aren't necessarily to do with his design, including time restrictions, hardware limitations (which it shouldn't be a problem for the Nintendo Switch), model problems and mishaps in development, etc). Ridley is more of a fighter than characters such as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Mr. Game & Watch, who Sakurai has taken creative liberty to change in order for them to "fit in" the games.

The characters in Super Smash Bros. aren't the real characters that they represent, they're just toys fighting in imaginary battles, so they don't have to behave (personality wise and canon wise) and look entirely the same way as their counterparts. What happens in the Super Smash bros. series is not canon for each character's respective series.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Had been putting this off awhile but I guess now's a good time to start. Since taking screenshots on my 3DS at the right time was unsurprisingly too much a pain mid-battle, did some screencaps of the new attacks in one of the videos to bring up for new moveset potential discussion... Yeah, the spoiler tag gloves are coming off now aside from posting images.

Interesting how the attack is reminiscent to Phantoon's projectiles in Super Metroid. If it were a special move in a playable moveset, I think shooting like three of those at a time instead of five would be fair, and would be weaker or less in number each time you use it in between recharge time so it can't be spammed as such.

Another new flavor to his arsenal of fireball type attacks, except this one is rather versatile since he can shoot it any direction (straight up, diagonally, down at the ground which engulfs the ground near you, etc). Could see that being a default special attack with recharge time if it were used, minus the ground damaging part.

Self-explanatory. Would be a forward dash attack.

An attack where Ridley stabs his tail into the ground and releases a wave of spiked rocks when he pulls it out. Not sure where that could be incorporated in a moveset. Maybe a final smash or something?

A powerful charged claw attack that leaves behind an afterimage. Could easily see it as a potent forward-Smash move, especially when charged.

The part in the 2nd cutscene where he catches and tosses Samus with his tail to get her off of him I could see maybe being used as a backwards throw animation or something like that, and the cutscene we all know where he pins Samus down and is about to blast her could be his d-throw move.

All and all though, a full moveset now would or should probably incorporate moves between Proteus Ridley and one of the other versions.

p.s. Even if he's destined to remain an NPC for Smash, I would still far prefer to see Proteus Ridley as a boss over bringing back the Other M version. Speaking of, last but not least, dat concept art...

Interesting to note how in the artwork, his neck is still primarily cybernetic even though in-game, only the front of the neck has any cybernetics. Still cool nonetheless.

edit: Fixed image links.

Last edited:

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Playing devil's advocate here, what makes you guys want ridley, as opposed to one of the many stages of the Metroid, something the series is named for? I could see Zeta Metroid as a healthy alternative, and Prime 4 is coming out soon anyway.

The features are obviously very Yoshi-like, but the attacks could be gritty and realistic. Plus, size is shown to be irrelevant in this case.

Playing devil's advocate here, what makes you guys want ridley, as opposed to one of the many stages of the Metroid, something the series is named for? I could see Zeta Metroid as a healthy alternative, and Prime 4 is coming out soon anyway.

The features are obviously very Yoshi-like, but the attacks could be gritty and realistic. Plus, size is shown to be irrelevant in this case.
Well for one, Ridley is much more of a "character" than a random, nameless Metroid.

Not to mention, Ridley has way more appearances than Zeta here. I think Zeta only has 3 (2, Fusion, SR) compared to Ridley being in nearly all of them.

And, frankly, I find Ridley to be much much more interesting. Even ignoring stuff like looking like a ravenous monster but being intelligent, his fights are just cooler, and being a freaking dragon just leads to more cool stuff he can do. Metroids just seem much less interesting to me in comparison in pretty much every metric.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Pretty much. One thing Ridley and the Zeta Metroid ironically have in common though is being Xenomorph esque/inspired. Although the former has wings, the tail and mostly everything heavily resemble that of the Xenomorph, while the Zeta Metroid is the closest looking to the Xenomorph in overall shape out of the evolutions... And of course the Metroid Queen is the closest there is to the Alien Queen, even though Metroids themselves (base forms) are inspired more by the Facehuggers. (If I'm a bit off on any of those details then feel free to correct)

Speaking of the Metroid forms, interesting how most of the evolutions in MSR had some form of fire or atomic looking breath attacks, the Zeta having a short range one. Glad Ridley didn't have his traditional looking fire breath in this entry or it would've been redundant. :u

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

You just suggested the equivalent of adding a Hammer Bro.

Or in Kirby terms.

Bonkers.

A hard but unimportant enemy that isn't that special.

IronTed

Smash Ace

Because that is a nameless enemy with no personality, motivation, or story. It wouldn't be a good tribute to Metroid (smash is, after all, about Nintendo all stars). The fact you fight several makes it less special as well

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Zeta Metroid would be fun actually now that I think about it.
But every major villain should be in before they start adding generic enemies, which applies to every franchise. The reason we want Ridley is because he's a memorable arse who's a joy to fight, one of the most memorable Nintendo villains out there who fans never have enough of

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, once you deal enough damage, the baby will latch on to him (not talking about the cutscene where it saves Samus). The timing is very tight, and unless you are prepared, you will mess up.

But yeah, his command grab deals a ton of damage, I think it's the most damaging attack in the game tbh.

As for diggernaut, he's a primelike boss in a 2D game. He's not a damage sponge like every previous 2D boss, but more of a puzzle. The only difference is, you cannot scan him like in the primes, so it takes more attention to detail.

Diggernaut destroyed me, died more to him than anyone else. My problem was, phase 3, had one more spot to bomb, but every time he would stick his head out, I couldn't bomb him when the blue lights lined up. He'd constantly electrify himself. I had to strategically "wait" for him, in order to change the pattern, and give myself an opportunity to hit him. Definitely the most original 2D boss in a long time
Just as an FYI:

I beat it last weekend finally. Took me about 7-8 deaths or so. Most times I died trying to beat a boss. Got 100% game completion as well.

...probably not going to do harder difficulties any time soon lol. I'm not THAT into Metroid.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess others weren't kidding when they said that normal missiles don't affect Ridley at all in MSR. Even when I melee countered him toward the end of my earlier speedrun when I was out of super missiles and Aeion energy and used regular missiles during the Samus attack animation, they just bounced right off of him. :u

Continuing from the Proteus Ridley moveset stuff posted earlier, I suppose one cool thing to see as a final smash would be when he blocks Samus's attacks with his cybernetic arm as he's flying toward her and grabs and throws her at a wall, then pinning her down on the ground. As a final smash, it would be say, a medium range dash attack with projectile immunity, pins the opponents down and blasts them away with a super version of his purple fire energy at point-blank, and maybe during the attack animation, you faintly hear the announcer or someone in the background saying "Vengeance has a name"...

IronTed

Smash Ace
I guess others weren't kidding when they said that normal missiles don't affect Ridley at all in MSR. Even when I melee countered him toward the end of my earlier speedrun when I was out of super missiles and Aeion energy and used regular missiles during the Samus attack animation, they just bounced right off of him. :u

Continuing from the Proteus Ridley moveset stuff posted earlier, I suppose one cool thing to see as a final smash would be when he blocks Samus's attacks with his cybernetic arm as he's flying toward her and grabs and throws her at a wall, then pinning her down on the ground. As a final smash, it would be say, a medium range dash attack with projectile immunity, pins the opponents down and blasts them away with a super version of his purple fire energy at point-blank, and maybe during the attack animation, you faintly hear the announcer or someone in the background saying "Vengeance has a name"...
In the off hand chance Ridley does make it in, I will be sorely disappointed if his final smash isn't exactly like what you just described.

I really do like that sequence, it gives Ridley a distinct ferocity compared to other bosses, which is fitting for that type of antagonist.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

In the off hand chance Ridley does make it in, I will be sorely disappointed if his final smash isn't exactly like what you just described.

I really do like that sequence, it gives Ridley a distinct ferocity compared to other bosses, which is fitting for that type of antagonist.
xD I have to second this! How much I wish I was skillful enough to illustrate a sequence of that Final Smash.

if olimar can be a fighter ridley can be a fighter
Not a logical comparison. Yeah I think Ridley should be playable, but Olimar isn't relevant.

Relative sizes, and it being more about other factors like body proportions and flight stuff is more important.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Yeah, and thanks. For the longest time, the go-to idea for his Final Smash was generally just transforming into Meta Ridley, but now I think he has plenty to work with from source material for a non-transformation FS. The transformation FS idea's just been popular with him I guess because of the other villains like Bowser and Ganondorf having transformation-based ones of their own. I'd be fine with that too still, but would prefer one that's more original for him.

I'm sure this was just a homage to how plenty bosses in the older 2D's turned more red the lower their health became, but I've been diggin the red Ridley the more I've replayed since it reminds you of him in the Super Metroid art, minus the remaining cybernetics.

proteus ridley defeated.png

On that note, what are some other good color/palette swap alternates for Proteus Ridley?

IronTed

Smash Ace
Yeah, and thanks. For the longest time, the go-to idea for his Final Smash was generally just transforming into Meta Ridley, but now I think he has plenty to work with from source material for a non-transformation FS. The transformation FS idea's just been popular with him I guess because of the other villains like Bowser and Ganondorf having transformation-based ones of their own. I'd be fine with that too still, but would prefer one that's more original for him.

I'm sure this was just a homage to how plenty bosses in the older 2D's turned more red the lower their health became, but I've been diggin the red Ridley the more I've replayed since it reminds you of him in the Super Metroid art, minus the remaining cybernetics.

On that note, what are some other good color/palette swap alternates for Proteus Ridley?
That looks surprsingly good. What about trying a blue, like Neo Ridley? That, or perhaps something remniniscent of his Zero Mission artwork which is green IIRC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What...

Ridley's silhouette?

That's random...

What does that mean...
Homestar Runner has teaser of their Halloween toons every year, showing the characters in silhouette, allowing you to guess who's dressed as who. Strong Bad however, always has a fake out costume. One year it was the Xenomorph, another it was a bug from Starship Troopers. This year, he's everyone's favorite purple space pirate. He even flies Mode 7 style in the full animation.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Homestar Runner has teaser of their Halloween toons every year, showing the characters in silhouette, allowing you to guess who's dressed as who. Strong Bad however, always has a fake out costume. One year it was the Xenomorph, another it was a bug from Starship Troopers. This year, he's everyone's favorite purple space pirate. He even flies Mode 7 style in the full animation.
So it's just a funny random thing?

Well, I guess we could look at it that he's getting more exposure... sort of...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Metroid? In my Homestar Runner? I have no objections to that. Homestar Runner was part of my Internet childhood back in the day. Nice to see them back in swing after their hiatus.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So for the past 2 months I've started playing the Metroid series for the first time. I played through Zero Mission and recently Samus Returns. Enjoyed both games, but I gotta ask. Was Ridley always such an easy boss? In both games other bosses gave me a hard time, but I took Ridley down in my first try. They're not bad boss fights, I quite enjoyed the Proteus fight. But still, Ridley is surprisingly easy to take down despite his legacy. I hope it doesn't continue with the later games that I play.

Still want him for Smash, He's incredibly disproportional but We've seen Sakurai play with sizes and proportions before. Ridley's a character I'd like to make a moveset for, if only for the challenge of dealing with his size..

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So for the past 2 months I've started playing the Metroid series for the first time. I played through Zero Mission and recently Samus Returns. Enjoyed both games, but I gotta ask. Was Ridley always such an easy boss? In both games other bosses gave me a hard time, but I took Ridley down in my first try. They're not bad boss fights, I quite enjoyed the Proteus fight. But still, Ridley is surprisingly easy to take down despite his legacy. I hope it doesn't continue with the later games that I play.

Still want him for Smash, He's incredibly disproportional but We've seen Sakurai play with sizes and proportions before. Ridley's a character I'd like to make a moveset for, if only for the challenge of dealing with his size..
Zero Mission is easier than the other bosses yeah.

Super I think is considered the hardest with the Prime 1 fight being the best.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's appropriate with the fact of how late Ridley traditionally shows up into those games. You're always super decked out with weapons and nearly a ****ing tank with your suits and energy tanks taken into account so not very much is really able to even slow you down by the point. Even in Super where he's considered his hardest (besides maybe Fusion) you're still able to tank massive amounts of damage throughout the fight. So it's not necessarily that he's easy it's that, by that point, you should be about as powerful as you can possible get.

Fusion is just a hard game. You take more damage, you deal less, and you're maneuverability has to be spot on in most boss fights. I don't quite remember Ridley in that one but I feel like I remember him taking me down at least once. Honestly, I've only beat Fusion once so I'm not so sure I remember everything but still.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well by the time you get the last of the beams in Fusion (minus ice beam) you're pretty OP with the charge shots, so Ridley-X is easy as a result if you just spam the charge beam. So is the SA-X really unless you're bad at dodging... It's part of why I'm open to a Fusion remake someday, so some of the fights like those can be given more substance. Ridley was watered down in difficulty on both of the GBA games, Zero Mission more so.

And I guess it goes without saying but in Samus Returns he's nothing to sneeze at on Hard or Fusion mode, especially if at the end of a speedrun where you don't have all the Aeion expansions and such. Other M's hard mode, most of his attacks kill you in one hit since that difficulty has no energy tanks, and so on... But yeah, for the base difficulty level of any game he's generally not that hard (with maybe an exception or two) since you tend to have about every power-up by the time you face him, as pointed out.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ridley sweeped the floor with me in Super Metroid when I played it the last time. The Ridley thread actually made me do that playthrough, didn't regret it in the slightest.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
there is also the option of leaving ridley as a boss and include a modified baby/adolescent ridley that looks more rike ridley as a fighter instead.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Ridley's difficulty is almost always tied to your item completion. Try fighting Ridley in Super with 5 energy tanks and 15 super missiles, not impossible, but way harder than most other bosses. Most late bosses become easy once you 100% unless a boss is like Dark Samus where it's more about gimmicks. Or if you do hard mode.

Meta Ridley in Corruption is the exception to this rule.

Proteus Ridley is on the harder side, his attacks hit hard, but he has obvious tells (like every boss in SR).

Ridley's generally a straight up sponge boss fight, no gimmicks (generally speaking), just deal as much damage as fast as possible. Zero Mission they really nerfed him though, although Zero Mission is an easy game in general.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Zero Mission was more designed for speedruns, sequence breaking, and low % runs with all the different endings that were attainable, which was kinda why all of its bosses were easier on the outset.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Just a few things.

Firstly, in the official guide, it says the following for Proteus Ridley:

Samus' greatest nemesis makes a return in this game to put a stop to her Metroid eradication. It was Proteus Ridley, Mother Brain, and the Space Pirates that harnessed Metroids for evil during Samus' first mission, and they clearly found it to their liking. Proteus Ridley's not about to allow Samus to wipe out such a formidable source of power and an equally devastating weapon - not without a fight.

Secondly, A Distant Demon A Distant Demon , I've updated the appearances list.

APPEARANCES IN GAMES
Year|Title (System)|Event / Mode / Series / Other (If applicable)|New / Re-release|Ridley|Role
1986|Metroid (NES)|N/A|NEW|Ridley|Mini-boss
1994|Super Metroid (SNES)|N/A|NEW|Ridley|Boss
1999|Super Smash Bros. (N64)|N/A|NEW|Ridley|Stage Background cameo
2001|Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)|N/A|NEW|Ridley|Intro cutscene
2001|Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)|N/A|NEW|Ridley|Trophy (WW) / Figure (JP)
2002|Metroid Prime (Gamecube)|N/A|NEW|Meta Ridley|Boss
2002|Metroid Fusion (GBA)|N/A|NEW|Clone| Frozen Corpse
2002|Metroid Fusion (GBA)|N/A|NEW|Ridley-X / Neo Ridley| Boss (Core-X mimic)
2004|Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)|N/A|NEW [1] |Ridley|Boss
2004|Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)|N/A|NEW [1] |Mecha Ridley| Boss
2004|Metroid (1986) (GBA)|Classic NES Series (NTSC) / NES Classics (PAL)|Re-release [2] |Ridley|Mini-boss
2004|Metroid Prime 2: Echoes|Bonus Disc|NEW|Dark Ridley|Concept Art
2005|Metroid Prime Pinball (DS)|N/A|NEW|Meta Ridley|Table boss
2006|Wario Ware Smooth Moves|Super Nostalgic Entertainment System|NEW|Ridley|Mini-game cameo (Cartridge art)
2007|Metroid (1986) (Wii)|Wii Shop Channel - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Ridley|Mini-boss
2007|Super Metroid (1994)|Wii Shop Channel - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Ridley|Boss
2007|Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)|N/A|NEW| Meta Ridley (2)|Boss
2007|Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)|N/A|NEW| Omega Ridley|Boss
2008|Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)|Sub Space Emissary, Boss Battles mode|NEW|Ridley|Boss
2008|Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)|Sub Space Emissary, Collectibles|NEW|Ridley|Sticker
2008|Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)|Sub Space Emissary, Collectibles|NEW|Ridley|Trophy (WW) / Figure (JP)
2008|Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)|Sub Space Emissary, Boss Battles mode|NEW|Meta Ridley|Boss
2008|Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)|Sub Space Emissary, Collectibles|NEW|Meta Ridley|Trophy (WW) / Figure (JP)
2009|Super Smash Bros.(Wii)|Wii Shop Channel - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Ridley|Stage Background cameo
2009|Metroid Prime Trilogy|Metroid Prime|Re-release [2] |Meta Ridley|Boss
2009|Metroid Prime Trilogy|Metroid Prime|Re-release [2] |Meta Ridley|Concept Art
2009|Metroid Prime Trilogy|Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|Re-release [2] |Meta Ridley (2)|Boss
2009|Metroid Prime Trilogy|Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|Re-release [2] |Omega Ridley|Boss
2009|Metroid Prime Trilogy|Metroid Prime 3: Corruption|Re-release [2] |Omega Ridley|Concept Art
2009|Wiiであそぶ メトロイドプライム (New Play Control! Metroid Prime) (Wii)|New Play Control! (Japan only)|Re-release [2] |Meta Ridley|Boss
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|N/A|NEW|Clone ("Mystery Creature")|Boss
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|N/A|NEW|Clone ("Ridley")|Boss
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|Gallery Mode|NEW|Clone ("Little Birdie")|ART 80
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|Gallery Mode|NEW|Clone ("Mystery Creature")|ART 81
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|Gallery Mode|NEW|Clone ("Mystery Creature" excuviae)|ART 82
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|Gallery Mode|NEW|Clone ("Ridley")|ART 83
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|Gallery Mode|NEW|Clone ("Ridley" corpse)|ART 84
2011|Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS)|Geothermal Power Plant (Stage)|NEW|Clone|Stage Hazard
2011|Metroid Zero Mission (3DS)|Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program|Re-release [4] |Ridley| Boss
2011|Metroid Zero Mission (3DS)|Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program|Re-release [4] |Mecha Ridley| Boss
2011|Metroid Fusion (3DS)|Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program|Re-release [4] |Clone| Frozen Corpse
2011|Metroid Fusion (3DS)|Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program|Re-release [4] |Ridley-X / Neo Ridley| Boss (Core-X mimic)
2012|Metroid (1986) (3DS)|3DS eShop - Virtual Console|Re-release [3][5] |Ridley|Mini-boss
2012|Nintendo Land (WiiU)|Metroid Blast|NEW|Ridley (Animatronic)|Boss
2012|Nintendo Land (WiiU)|Metroid Blast|NEW|Ice Ridley (Animatronic)|Boss
2013|Metroid (1986) (WiiU)|WiiU eShop - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Ridley|Mini-boss
2014|NES REMIX 2 (WiiU)|Metroid|NEW|Ridley|Mission Challenge
2014|NES REMIX Pack (WiiU)|Metroid|Re-release [2] |Ridley|Mission Challenge
2014|Ultimate NES REMIX (3DS)|Metroid|Re-release [2] |Ridley|Mission Challenge
2014|Metroid Fusion (WiiU)|WiiU eShop - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Clone| Frozen Corpse
2014|Metroid Fusion (WiiU)|WiiU eShop - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Ridley-X / Neo Ridley| Boss (Core-X mimic)
2014|Metroid Zero Mission (WiiU)|WiiU eShop - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Ridley|Boss
2014|Metroid Zero Mission (WiiU)|WiiU eShop - Virtual Console|Re-release [3] |Mecha Ridley|Boss
2014|Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (WiiU)|Pyrosphere (Stage)|NEW|Clone|Stage Hazard (boss)
2014|Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (WiiU)|N/A|NEW|Clone|Trophy (WW) / Figure (JP)
2015|Metroid Prime Trilogy (WiiU)|WiiU eShop|Re-release [3] |Meta Ridley|Boss
2015|Metroid Prime Trilogy (WiiU)|WiiU eShop|Re-release [3] |Meta Ridley|Concept Art
2015|Metroid Prime Trilogy (WiiU)|WiiU eShop|Re-release [3] |Meta Ridley (2)|Boss
2015|Metroid Prime Trilogy (WiiU)|WiiU eShop|Re-release [3] |Omega Ridley|Boss
2015|Metroid Prime Trilogy (WiiU)|WiiU eShop|Re-release [3] |Omega Ridley|Concept Art
2015|Nintendo Badge Arcade|Limited Time Promotion|NEW|Ridley|Badge (Usable)
2015|Guild Wars 2|Heart of Thorns (Additional Content)|NEW|Meta Ridley| Smash Brawler character trait icon
2016|Metroid Other M (WiiU)|WiiU eShop|Re-release [3] |Clone ("Mystery Creature")|Boss
2016|Metroid Other M (WiiU)|WiiU eShop|Re-release [3] |Clone ("Ridley")|Boss
2016|Metroid Prime Federation Force (3DS)|N/A|NEW|Ridley|Mech Suit paint job
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley|Mii Pet (Wearable)
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley (Cyan)|Mii Pet (Wearable)
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley (Black)|Mii Pet (Wearable)
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley (Red)|Mii Pet (Wearable)
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley (Green)|Mii Pet (Wearable)
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley|Super Metroid T-shirt - black sleeves (Wearable)
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley|Super Metroid T-shirt - green sleeves (Wearable)
2016|Miitomo (Android, iOS)|Metroid 30th Anniversary|NEW [6] |Ridley|Super Metroid T-shirt - orange sleeves (Wearable)
2016|Metroid (1986)|Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition (NTSC)|Re-release [7] |Ridley|Mini-boss
2016|Metroid (1986)|Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System (PAL)|Re-release [7] |Ridley|Mini-boss
2016|Metroid (1986)|ニンテンドークラシックミニ ファミリーコンピュータ (Nintendo Classic Mini: Family Computer) (Japan)|Re-release [7] |Ridley|Mini-boss
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley|Mii profile picture, Mii Pet (Wearable)
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley (Cyan)|Mii profile picture, Mii Pet (Wearable)
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley (Black)|Mii profile picture, Mii Pet (Wearable)
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley (Red)|Mii profile picture, Mii Pet (Wearable)
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley (Green)|Mii profile picture, Mii Pet (Wearable)
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley|Mii profile picture, Super Metroid T-shirt - black sleeves (Wearable)
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley|Mii profile picture, Super Metroid T-shirt - green sleeves (Wearable)
2017|Super Mario Run (Android, iOS, 2016)|Content Update (Compatibility)|NEW [8] |Ridley|Mii profile picture, Super Metroid T-shirt - orange sleeves (Wearable)
2017|Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)|N/A|NEW|Proteus Ridley|Final Boss
2017|Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)|N/A|NEW|Proteus Ridley|Credits image
2017|Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)|Art Gallery mode|NEW [9] |Proteus Ridley|Art Gallery concept art
2017|Super Metroid (1994)|Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Classic Edition (NTSC)|Re-release [7] |Ridley|Boss
2017|Super Metroid (1994)|Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (PAL)|Re-release [7] |Ridley|Boss
2017|Super Metroid (1994)|ニンテンドークラシックミニ スーパーファミコン (Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Famicom) (Japan)|Re-release [7] |Ridley|Boss

1 - Remake of Metroid (NES,1986)
2 - Physical port re-release on a different format to its original.
3 - Digital port re-release.
4 - Digital port re-releases only available for 3DS Ambassadors.
5 - Digital port re-release that was available to 3DS Ambassadors a year prior, for no extra charge.
6 - Limited time release items.
7 - Part of in-built software library, official emulation.
8 - Items worn by Mii compatible through linking Miitomo, Super Mario Run, and your My Nintendo account together. The Mii will be displayed with what they're wearing as a profile picture.
9 - Unlocked by scanning in the Samus amiibo (Super Smash Bros. series).

WW - Worldwide release
JP - Japanese version

APPEARANCES IN OTHER MEDIA
Year|Product / Company|Event / Chapter / Other|Format|Ridley|Appearance/Role
1986|Metroid Manga Strategy Guide|Wanpakku Comics|Manga|Ridley|Chapter enemy
1987|Famiken Ryu: The Adventure of Valkyrie and Metroid|N/A|Manga|Ridley|Chapter enemy
1987|Famiken Ryu: Metroid and Super Xevious - The Riddle of Gamp|N/A|Manga|Ridley|Chapter enemy
1989|Famitsu Comix: The Shape of Happiness|Metroid III|Manga|Ridley|Chapter Enemy
1989|Topps Card (US/Canada only)|Metroid|Print|Ridley|Topps Card design
----|Famicom Choco Keshi toy|Metroid|3D item|Ridley|Collectable toy (many variations)
1990|Nintendo Comics System - Captain N: The Game Master|Prison World - Breakout|Comic|Ridley|Chapter enemy
1990|Nintendo Comics System - Captain N: The Game Master|Garbage World / When Friends Fall Out|Comic|Ridley|Chapter enemy (Flashback)
1990|The Power Game Calendar|November|Print|Ridley|Calendar image
1994|Super Metroid (SNES)|N/A|Print|Ridley|Boxart cover, cartridge design
1994|Super Metroid (SNES)|N/A|Commercial (Japan only)|Ridley|Advertising for Super Metroid
1994|Shounen Oh Game Comic: Super Metroid - Issue 1: Round and Round|I Don't Wanna Work!|Manga|Ridley|Part of 4-Panel manga
1994|Shounen Oh Game Comic:Super Metroid - Issue 3: Find the Baby!!|New Summer Night's Dream|Manga|Ridley|Part of 4-Panel manga
1994|Nintendo Power (Comic) - Volume 57|Super Metroid - Red Alarm!|Comic|Ridley|Chapter enemy
1994|Nintendo Power (Comic) - Volume 60|Super Metroid - Samus' Story|Comic|Ridley|Chapter enemy
1994|Nintendo Power (Comic) - Volume 61|Super Metroid - The Final Battle|Comic|Ridley|Chapter enemy
1994|Super Metroid Player's Guide|N/A|Print|Ridley|Front Cover art, Screenshots / Artwork
2002|Metroid Prime: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide|N/A|Print|Meta Ridley|Screenshots
2002|Metroid Prime Official Strategy Guide (BradyGames)|N/A|Print|Meta Ridley|Screenshots
2002|Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games)|N/A|Print|Meta Ridley|Screenshots
2002|Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games)|N/A|Print|Clone Ridley|Screenshots
2002|Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games)|N/A|Print| Ridley-X / Neo Ridley (Core-X mimic)|Screenshots
2002|Metroid|Volume 1|Manga|Ridley|Antagonist
2002|Metroid|Volume 2|Manga|Ridley|Antagonist
2003|Samus & Joey|Volume 1, Chapter 2: Terrible Bioweapon|Manga|Ridley|Flashback Panel (Page 50)
2003|Samus & Joey|Volume 3|Manga|Greed|Antagonist
2004|Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)|N/A|Print|Ridley|Boxart cover design
2004|Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)|N/A|Commercial (Japan only)|Ridley|Advertising for Metroid Zero Mission
2004|Metroid EX: Samus and Joey|Chapter 9: Rescue Mission|Manga|Ridley|Flashback Panel
2004|Metroid EX: Samus and Joey|N/A|Manga|Greed|Main Antagonist
2006|Hasbro, Inc / Nintendo Co., Inc|Monopoly: Nintendo Collector's Edition|Print, Board Game|Meta Ridley| Ridley , an orange board space worth £180 / $180
2008|Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)|N/A|Print|Omega Ridley|Boxart cover design
2009|Metroid Prime Trilogy|Art Booklet|Print|Dark Ridley|Concept Art
2010|Metroid Other M (Wii)|TV Commercial :60 Spot|Commercial (US)|Clone|CGI advertising for Metroid Other M
2010|Metroid Other M: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games)|N/A|Print|Clone|Screenshots
2010|Hasbro, Inc / Nintendo Co. Ltd|Monopoly: Nintendo Collector's Edition|Print, Board Game|Omega Ridley| Ridley , an orange board space worth £180 / $180
2014|Nintendo Co., Ltd|Villains Takeover (promotion)|Nintendo eShop (US, 3DS)|Ridley|Villain Takeover promotion, advertising for Metroid (1986) [1]
2014|Nintendo Co., Ltd|Villains Takeover (promotion)|Nintendo eShop (US, WiiU)|Ridley|Villain Takeover promotion, advertising for Metroid (1986) [1]
2014|The Anatomy of Metroid Deluxe Edition|Metroid|Print|Ridley|Screenshot
2015|The Video Game Years - 1987 (Amazon Prime)|Metroid|Video (Digital Stream, purchasable)|Ridley|Part of Motion Graphic illustration for Metroid segment
2016|Super Metroid|Virtual Console (New Nintendo 3DS exclusive)|eShop card|Ridley|Super Metroid boxart illustration
2016|Super Famicom The Box Art Collection (Bitmap Books)|Super Metroid (Page 225)|Print|Ridley|Japanese Boxart design photograph
2016|Uniqlo Co., Ltd, Nintendo Co., Ltd|UT GRAND PRIX 2017 - Nintendo|Video (Youtube)|Meta Ridley|Advertising for the competition [2]
2016|Nintendo Co., Ltd|Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition (NTSC)|Website|Ridley|Website artwork advertising for the Mini console
2016|Nintendo Co., Ltd|Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System (PAL)|Website|Ridley|Website artwork advertising for the Mini console
2016|Playing With Power: Nintendo NES Classics (Prima Games / Nintendo Co., Ltd)|Metroid|Print|Ridley|Screenshots
2017|Nintendo Co., Ltd|Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Classic Edition (NTSC)|Website|Ridley|Website box art artwork advertising for the Mini console
2017|Nintendo Co., Ltd|Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (PAL)|Website|Ridley|Website box art artwork advertising for the Mini console
2017|The Walt Disney Company|ESL: Speedrunners (Disney XD)|Television channel|Ridley (Smashified)|Graphical decoration for programme in studio
2017|Metroid Samus Returns: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games)|Inhabitants & Eco System of SR388 - Bosses|Print|Proteus Ridley|Concept art illustration (Page 23)
2017|Metroid Samus Returns: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games)|N/A|Print|Proteus Ridley|Concept art illustration (Page 211)
2017|Metroid Samus Returns: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games)|N/A|Print|Proteus Ridley|Screenshots (Pages 211 - 214)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Forward|Print|Ridley|Super Metroid boxart cropped for "Forward" pages (Page 3)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Contents|Print|Clone|Fan Art cropped for contents page to represent "Super Fans" chapter (Page 5)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Realising the 16-Bit dream - Under the Hood|Print|Ridley|Screen shot of Ridley fight for "Graphics Comparison: NES VS Super NES" (Page 13)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Games|Print|Ridley|Cropped Japanese boxart used for "Games" chapter splash pages (Page 24)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Super Metroid box art (Page 146)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Screen shot (Page 155)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Concept Art (Page 155)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Screen shot (Page 158)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Metroid: Zero Mission box art (Page 164)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Fans - Artist Spotlight: Dan Cattell|Print|Ridley|Photo of Ridley acrylic on canvas (Page 300)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Fans - Music Spotlight: Dan CattellMetroid Metal|Print|Ridley|Artwork (Artist not credited) (Page 304)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Super Fans - Artist Spotlight: Joel Sousa|Print|Clone |Fan art (Clone Ridley replicating events of Super Metroid) (Page 317)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics|Note from the Author|Print|Ridley|Screenshot (Cropped) (Page 318)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Forward|Print|Ridley|Super Metroid boxart cropped for "Forward" pages (Page 3)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Contents|Print|Clone|Fan Art cropped for contents page to represent "Super Fans" chapter (Page 5)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Realising the 16-Bit dream - Under the Hood|Print|Ridley|Screen shot of Ridley fight for "Graphics Comparison: NES VS Super NES" (Page 13)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Games|Print|Ridley|Cropped Japanese boxart used for "Games" chapter splash pages (Page 24)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Super Metroid box art (Page 146)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Screen shot (Page 155)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Concept Art (Page 155)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Screen shot (Page 158)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Metroid|Print|Ridley|Metroid: Zero Mission box art (Page 164)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Fans - Artist Spotlight: Dan Cattell|Print|Ridley|Photo of Ridley acrylic on canvas (Page 300)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Fans - Music Spotlight: Dan CattellMetroid Metal|Print|Ridley|Artwork (Artist not credited) (Page 304)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Super Fans - Artist Spotlight: Joel Sousa|Print|Clone |Fan art (Clone Ridley replicating events of Super Metroid) (Page 317)
2017|Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics (Collectors Edition)|Note from the Author|Print|Ridley|Screenshot (Cropped) (Page 318)
TBC|First4Figures|Meta Ridley|Collectable Figure|Meta Ridley|Purchasable item
1 - As part of the promotion, alongside Bowser, Ganondorf and Dr. Wily (three iconic villains), and Wario (previously a villain in the Super Mario series).
2 - As part of the reel, alongside Bowser and Ganondorf (two iconic villains), and King Dedede (iconic Kirby character).
I keep updating it whenever I find something new, when something is confirmed, or if information needs editing.

It's a BIG list :troll:

Thirdly, apparently staff at First 4 Figures have mentioned that they might do t-shirts (and possible accessories) to do with their figures, as well as plushes. There's a possibility that there could be a Meta Ridley t-shirt, though I wouldn't assume anything yet. Let's wait and see. We still haven't had an update on the Meta Ridley figure yet, but they have said that it could be the size of the Link and Loftwing statue.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Man this beast is terrifying. Updated to OP. About to update Samus Returns info too.
I still update it now and again.

First 4 Figures info is on hold, since they haven't shown the actual thing yet (but the figure is still coming).

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
You just suggested the equivalent of adding a Hammer Bro.

Or in Kirby terms.

Bonkers.

A hard but unimportant enemy that isn't that special.
yeah the only Metroid that would work would be the Metroid Queen, or maybe Metroid Prime or Mother Brain

2/3 of those are mostly stationary, and all three of them really are, for once, genuinely too big

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dark Samus is the Metroid Prime, but she's gone and irrelevant now sadly. Yeah, Mother Brain is completely stationary despite the body she was given in Super, but the higher Metroid evolutions like Zeta, Omega, or Queen would be kinda fun to see movesets for with the new material they were given in MSR, but they're still minor characters/creatures; probably better suited for assist trophies or something. That just leaves Sylux depending on what Prime 4 does with him. Whatever happens, just glad Ridley's still trending too as it is.

I more or less laid down the groundwork for a Proteus Ridley moveset, but if someone ever writes up a full one, I think that should be added to the OP too.

Top Bottom