• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Speaking of... This gave me a genuine laugh. I mean, unlike NoA Treehouse's usual attempts of beating old memes like a dead horse, this is actually somewhat funny.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

T-Rex Mario for Smash 5/6!!!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Despite Super Metroid which was one of the obvious expected titles, I'm sadly not as interested in the SNES Classic now with only the first DKC and not 2 & 3, along with some other games it lacks. The NES Mini had more games than this, when it should've been the other way around if anything with the SNES's monstrous library.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The NES Mini may have had more games, but quite a few of them didn't have much in the way of replay value. How many times are you going to play Donkey Kong Junior, Pac-Man, Ice Climber, Mario Bros, or Balloon Fight?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The NES Mini may have had more games, but quite a few of them didn't have much in the way of replay value. How many times are you going to play Donkey Kong Junior, Pac-Man, Ice Climber, Mario Bros, or Balloon Fight?
I can play the originals Pac-Man for days, bruh, but I see your point.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can play the originals Pac-Man for days, bruh, but I see your point.
Yeah, I was questioning whether or not I should include Pac-Man in there - it does get pretty addicting.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Galaga is my jam for retro games but I think the extra $20 is a bit much for less games, better or not. Have an NES mini and am happy with it, since I finally beat the original Zelda and got at least 20 hours so far out of it (doesn't sound like much but remember, shorter games). I won't go out of my way to get this but if I see one, I won't pass it up, for sure. Super Metroid alone is worth it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oh, hey, looks like we're still doing this.

Well, here's a newer version of the Smashified Ridley UI I had made several months back while I was trying to do all the characters they had made.

Ridley-character-ui-new.png

To be completely honest, I forgot this project had even existed because I was too busy focusing on my computer science and computer animation classes last spring. :laugh: That is a mistake I will have to correct.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oh, hey, looks like we're still doing this.

Well, here's a newer version of the Smashified Ridley UI I had made several months back while I was trying to do all the characters they had made.

View attachment 131123

To be completely honest, I forgot this project had even existed because I was too busy focusing on my computer science and computer animation classes last spring. :laugh: That is a mistake I will have to correct.
Late, but I can say nice job.

You did well like with the others.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Late, but I can say nice job.

You did well like with the others.
Thanks!

Here's the rest of the UIs in an 8-player Smash mockup.

Ridley-character-ui-8player.png

inb4Ridleyssobighecausestheframeratetogowaydownwhenthereseightofhim

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
The producer of Castlevania Netflix (GREAT show by the way) wants to do a dark Metroid adaptation next.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2849...ia-producer-says-season-2-scripts-are-done-wa

Will have to see if Nintendo delivers the ball from their court and lets it happen, or if they keep the ball and go home...
Sounds like an interesting idea, though it depends what they do for the series (Origins? New content? Mixture from games?).

They would need to make certain that they find the right voices for Samus, Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, etc. Samus' voice in Metroid Other M would have been fine if it wasn't monotone 90% of the time, or whiny for the remaining 10%.

I still think Ridley should speak in an alien language (with English subtitles underneath).

This is assuming Nintendo would allow it anyway.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sounds like an interesting idea, though it depends what they do for the series (Origins? New content? Mixture from games?).

They would need to make certain that they find the right voices for Samus, Ridley, Mother Brain, Kraid, etc. Samus' voice in Metroid Other M would have been fine if it wasn't monotone 90% of the time, or whiny for the remaining 10%.

I still think Ridley should speak in an alien language (with English subtitles underneath).

This is assuming Nintendo would allow it anyway.
When the now much despised Konami allows a wonderful Castlevania show to be done, it's hard for me to picture why Nintendo wouldn't allow the same to happen for one of their IP's which would only benefit them, though am not ruling anything out. But if Star Fox is anything to go by now, they're more open for animated things being done for their IP's, and maybe they'd have an involved helping hand in an animated Metroid being done.

For the Castlevania show, I believe it was a little mix of all three (origins, new content, mixture from the games), so I'd be open to whatever for Metroid as far as that. The first episode would most likely cover the beginnings of Samus's past with the pirates and Ridley (bound to be my favorite episode like the 1st episode of Castlevania with Dracula's story), while the next episodes would either show their own spin on what happened during some of the games (like how the beginning of Other M showed a cutscene of Super Metroid's Mother Brain) or some new content with Samus and take it from there.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the voicing, since even Other M Samus's voice would've been fine if not for the writing and direction that had been taken with it. That approach there with Ridley would be the safest option, though I don't doubt either that a good english voice could be found for him. Would have to see what they do if the desire and plans for doing a Metroid show takes off.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
When the now much despised Konami allows a wonderful Castlevania show to be done, it's hard for me to picture why Nintendo wouldn't allow the same to happen for one of their IP's which would only benefit them, though am not ruling anything out. But if Star Fox is anything to go by now, they're more open for animated things being done for their IP's, and maybe they'd have an involved helping hand in an animated Metroid being done.

For the Castlevania show, I believe it was a little mix of all three (origins, new content, mixture from the games), so I'd be open to whatever for Metroid as far as that. The first episode would most likely cover the beginnings of Samus's past with the pirates and Ridley (bound to be my favorite episode like the 1st episode of Castlevania with Dracula's story), while the next episodes would either show their own spin on what happened during some of the games (like how the beginning of Other M showed a cutscene of Super Metroid's Mother Brain) or some new content with Samus and take it from there.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the voicing, since even Other M Samus's voice would've been fine if not for the writing and direction that had been taken with it. That approach there with Ridley would be the safest option, though I don't doubt either that a good english voice could be found for him. Would have to see what they do if the desire and plans for doing a Metroid show takes off.
Since Nintendo seem to be more open to lending their IPs out these days, so they probably wouldn't mind allowing someone to make a TV series for Metroid, providing it's left in the right hands. I reckon Yoshio Sakamoto would be there to consult over the story line, portrayals etc, which would mean between him and the director, it should be fine (though people need to let the thing with Other M go, it has been 7 years, people need to get over it already...). We'll have to wait and see though, there's been plenty of times that people have said they'd do something and not follow through, or still keep us waiting (though sometimes it's Nintendo's fault, like with the Meta Ridley F4F figure).

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I just noticed that Smashboards started speculation again, so I had to go to the biggest thread around and say that I still support Ridley. Still hopin' for Ridley in Smash 5 to be playable. There's only 2 things I'm hoping to be shown in his gameplay. His speed (despite him being one of the bigger fighters), and his intimidation. I wonder how they'd go about doing that though. The easiest examples of being afraid of a character in smash are when a character has some temporary mechanic like Samus's charge shot, or Little Mac's KO punch. I love watching people panic and change up their gameplay style once I have a fully charged shot with Samus. I just hope that Ridley can produce the same sort of panic among players as well somehow.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
There's a new movement going on on twitter relating to the Metroid series.

Reddit user sums it up:
With the upcoming release of Metroid: Samus Returns, a Spanish speaking youtuber called Mighty Rengar came up with the idea of doing a movement about letting know as much people as possible about the Metroid franchise and trying to convince old Metroid veterans to buy this new game. The goal is at least 2 million copies sold but 3 million is also possible and that will be something incredible, because it will be the first Metroid game to reach 3 million. The thing is I'm only seeing Spanish people using the hashtag #OperationSamusReturns and we need more countries and languages to join the cause. We waited a lot of years and it's almost a miracle that Nintendo presented not 1, but 2 Metroid games, REAL Metroid games. We have to let them know that this is what we want so they'll make more Metroid games in the future and not let the franchise die or have to wait another 10 years to have another opportunity. That's why I'm writing this here, tell your friends and family about this movement, make videos, post images, fan art, whatever with the hashtag #OperationSamusReturns in every social media, each and every one of you count. This is the original video explained everything about the movement, it has English subtitles of course:

If the new Metroid games see success, then it'll show Nintendo that we're eager for more Metroid, and it might encourage them to make more games and content for the Metroid series in the future. Meaning there might be more appearances for Ridley down the line. Imagine Metroid in a new golden age.

D

Deleted member

There's a new movement going on on twitter relating to the Metroid series.

Reddit user sums it up:

If the new Metroid games see success, then it'll show Nintendo that we're eager for more Metroid, and it might encourage them to make more games and content for the Metroid series in the future. Meaning there might be more appearances for Ridley down the line. Imagine Metroid in a new golden age.
This is what I attempted to make with this, except named in reference to both Operations Rainfall and Moonfall.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Apparently, Metroid Samus Returns features some sort of storyboard like prologue that talks about the events from Metroid Zero Mission. I think it was mentioned that Mother Brain appears here, though it wouldn't be surprising if it shows Ridley there too, since he's a major part of the game. There was a rumour that it also mentions the events on the Prime Trilogy, but I can't seem to retrace where this rumour came from...

Also, there was a functionality list for the 2 Metroid amiibo and the 2 Samus Smash amiibo. In this list, there was a mention of a Fusion difficulty mode, and you get to control Samus in the Fusion suit (like you could in Metroid Prime). There's confusion on how to get it though: whether it unlocks naturally and you unlock it early using the amiibo, or if you have to use the amiibo to unlock it. Considering that there seems to be content from events that occur later chronologically in the Metroid timeline, having Ridley as an optional boss doesn't seem out of place now, though they'd need to make his appearance make sense.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Huh, this is interesting. I stumbled across this on pixiv recently and thought this was an interesting scenario to explore. It's basically Ridley adopting Samus after his conscience got the best of him during the raid on K-2L.

metroid-ridley-and-samus.jpg

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Suppose this kind of stuff is why I ought to visit pixiv more often, despite the lack of english making me shy away from it. That art is unique, let alone the concept. Wonder if someone will translate what's said in that image there into english. Regardless... Great find.

D

Deleted member

Huh, this is interesting. I stumbled across this on pixiv recently and thought this was an interesting scenario to explore. It's basically Ridley adopting Samus after his conscience got the best of him during the raid on K-2L.

View attachment 132068
Honestly, I would love to see a "What-If" story where Samus was raised by Ridley and the Space Pirates rather than the Chozo.

And either Samus later learns about the attack on the homeworld and turns on them for vengeance or she has become so warped by that point that she doesn't care; only the strong may survive, and her homeworld was weak.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Honestly, I would love to see a "What-If" story where Samus was raised by Ridley and the Space Pirates rather than the Chozo.

And either Samus later learns about the attack on the homeworld and turns on them for vengeance or she has become so warped by that point that she doesn't care; only the strong may survive, and her homeworld was weak.
I could easily see Ridley acting sort of as a paternal 'evil counterpart' figure to Old Bird and Grey Voice. Whereas Old Bird and Grey Voice acted as surrogate father figures to Samus, with the former trying to give Samus a happy and peaceful life on Zebes and the latter donating his DNA to make her 'part-Chozo', Ridley is perfectly willing to throw her straight into battle at a young age in hopes that war will make her strong enough to survive as a Space Pirate. Like Grey Voice, he could presumably act as a 'distant' father figure, believing that open acts of love and kindness are shameful but at the same time wishes that she could get strong enough to succeed him as the Space Pirate leader.

Good god, now I really wish Nintendo was willing to allow writers to create non-canon 'what-if' stories for their various franchises.

D

Deleted member

I could easily see Ridley acting sort of as a paternal 'evil counterpart' figure to Old Bird and Grey Voice. Whereas Old Bird and Grey Voice acted as surrogate father figures to Samus, with the former trying to give Samus a happy and peaceful life on Zebes and the latter donating his DNA to make her 'part-Chozo', Ridley is perfectly willing to throw her straight into battle at a young age in hopes that war will make her strong enough to survive as a Space Pirate. Like Grey Voice, he could presumably act as a 'distant' father figure, believing that open acts of love and kindness are shameful but at the same time wishes that she could get strong enough to succeed him as the Space Pirate leader.

Good god, now I really wish Nintendo was willing to allow writers to create non-canon 'what-if' stories for their various franchises.
And when they do eventually clash in a battle to the death for control, he'd be proud of her while at the same time not just letting her kill him.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Well, if she can be "brainwashed" in one game, then being warped in an alternative timeline wouldn't be a surprising thing at this point XD

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

View attachment 132068
I adore how Ridley looks in this. However, i have read this scenario a couple of times way before, the authors adding something that makes it unique in their own ways. Pretty interesting indeed.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla

View attachment 132068
The translation of this is actually pretty funny.

(Remember it's read from right to left)
Samus: Are you Ridley?

I am Samus...

Will you be my friend...?

Ridley: Hmm...

Sorry, but...

That's not possible.

Samus: Why...?

Ridley: Because from now, you are my wife!!

(bottom panel)

Ridley: We have a new pirate member.

She's going to be our future leader. So show respect.

Space Pirate: Wah, she's cute.

Or at least this was how it was translated on another website.

Last edited:

TooBadWaluigiTime

Smash Apprentice
*Insert obligatory 'Too Big' post here.*

But hey, I'm down for Ridley. I mean, Metroid has more assist trophies than actual playable characters, so more characters would be great.

D

Deleted member

I am Samus...

Sorry, but...

That's not possible.

(bottom panel)

.....so it's not Ridley "adopting" Samus, it's Ridley basically pulling a Bowser.....on a little girl.....?

I am Samus...

Sorry, but...

That's not possible.

(bottom panel)

I refuse to believe this is the actual translation and someone is ****ing with you.

Because the alternative is gross AF

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
.....so it's not Ridley "adopting" Samus, it's Ridley basically pulling a Bowser.....on a little girl.....?
I refuse to believe this is the actual translation and someone is ****ing with you.

Because the alternative is gross AF
The artist used to ship Samus and uh... Rundas together so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the actual translation. Granted, it seems more like a "well that came out of left field" joke, but, you never know.

xD I tried so hard to not laugh at this...but I couldn't...this is extremely weird.
Oh, believe me, finding out the translation of that part was quite the experience indeed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I laughed, but then felt awkward for doing so minutes later... So that's a thing huh? Still incredible art, so that'll remain a favorite recent image of mine, but simply at a loss for words as to the writing behind it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I laughed, but then felt awkward for doing so minutes later... So that's a thing huh? Still incredible art, so that'll remain a favorite recent image of mine, but simply at a loss for words as to the writing behind it.
I second that feeling, funny but awkward later...I wonder if the artist is going to make more of it...at least not surpassing limits, because the implications that sentence had scares me quite a bit.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley has been reading Twilight too much.

Top Bottom