• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
One of the things I've noticed that at least our group has a bit of a problem with is conflating an entire group with a bit of a smaller opinion. Granted AM2R is a bit of a bad example given that it was a widely liked fan-game among the Metroid community but overall I've seen a couple times when we took the opinion of a few and considered it to be the de-fact-o "this is what that group of people thinks". For example there was a time that I remember in this group where someone talked about figuring out how popular Metroid really is in Japan just to be sure, and when we somehow managed to ask one Japanese guy he said something like "Yeah he's popular here", and to an extent, we bought it even when in reality that was just one guy and that guy could have either lied or just happened to know some of the few Metroid fans in Japan.

Point of the story is, careful when you talk about such a nebulous group of people, since just because there is something related to that group that would make sense in your mind for almost everyone in that group to believe in, doesn't make it true. You could fool others and yourself with that and in the case of some members of this group (me included actually), you could let yourself down really badly when you off those false premises.
It's a learning experience, when you speak to limited Japanese people on a subject, you're bound to take their word for something. I do agree people should wait for more information before claiming things to be fact though.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
It's a learning experience, when you speak to limited Japanese people on a subject, you're bound to take their word for something. I do agree people should wait for more information before claiming things to be fact though.
Yeah, at this point for me, unless there's an outright confirmation from Sakurai himself that Ridley will be playable in Smash then I'm not holding my breath at all. I want Ridley in Smash but I know how unlikely it is. I'm just here to converse with fellow Ridley fans about stuff and see what someone else here can think about in terms of how we'd want to see Ridley in Smash and all that fun stuff.
Granted I won't be as involved in this community as I was in the Smash 4 days (mainly because looking back on it I think I was a complete idiot) but I'd come around when I'm bored and just see how things are going, kinda like my Discord groups.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Who'd win in a fight?

Ridley or Charizard with access to Mega Stones?

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Who'd win in a fight?

Ridley or Charizard with access to Mega Stones?
Hmmm, interesing question. My bias says Ridley but I think it'd be something to really think this through...

I'll start with what I know in Ridley. He's big, durable, and is able to lift Samus in her full powersuit effortlessly, and that thing would most likely weigh a LOT, given that Samus needs an upgrade to be able to walk around in water without issue. For attacks he's got his fireballs, claws, and his spike-tipped tail. He's able to survive harsh temperatures such as Norfair effortlessly and in fact he seems at home there. So I think it's safe to say Charizard's fire attacks wouldn't be all that powerful on Ridley.
With Charizard he's got access to plenty of fire moves along with some coverage depending on which Mega use (since I assume he doesn't get both at once since that isn't something that I am aware has ever happened), so he'd have plenty to use to hit Ridley. Main problem I see with Charizard though is unless there's a trainer involved, he's just a wild animal with more instinct than strategy, which gives Ridley the upper hand. Also if we're going by canon sizes Ridley is actually a lot bigger than Charizard so he'd have a much harder time dealing with Ridley.
Maybe it's just my bias but I still think in the end Ridley would tear Charizard apart, dude's absolutely crazy with what he can survive and while Charizard could most likely hit him hard with his mega form, Ridley would more than likely figure a way around it and just decimate him.
Thanks for the fun question though!
One I've always had personally that I would think would be really cool to see would be Ridley and Kraid vs Ornstein and Smough (Dark Souls). A purple space dragon versus a dragonslayer, with two fat guys duking it out on the side =P

Last edited:
Ridley would probably win as long as we use reality.

For example, A macargo would lose to most fighters in reality, but if you read the pokedex, in which case it beats everything (which is unrealistic).

Ridley, with his ability to take supercharged plasma* and much more, is probably able to beat charizard from his immense durability alone. Only thing I can give Charizard is speed, and any silly things like pokedex entry stuff.

*I dont remember if it's actually that but you know where im going with this

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Isn't Ridley faster than light at his fastest?

As for durability, he has Charizard beat, even with Mega Stones.

Even going for the slowest Ridley (Regular form) would make this a tough fight for Zard.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Isn't Ridley faster than light at his fastest?

As for durability, he has Charizard beat, even with Mega Stones.

Even going for the slowest Ridley (Regular form) would make this a tough fight for Zard.
Is he really that's nuts. Lol Nintendo with their ridiculously overpowered characters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is he really that's nuts. Lol Nintendo with their ridiculously overpowered characters.
Samus has enough FTL speed feats with the ship and without it (but mostly with her newest suits). And Ridley is fast enough to tag her and outspend her ship (as seen in Prime's intro).

Base Samus can reach supersonic speeds with the Speed Booster under gravity that's far more stronger than that of Earth's. So her speeds would be far faster than any weapon or plane ever produced if she ran on a planet like ours.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Samus has enough FTL speed feats with the ship and without it (but mostly with her newest suits). And Ridley is fast enough to tag her and outspend her ship (as seen in Prime's intro).

Base Samus can reach supersonic speeds with the Speed Booster under gravity that's far more stronger than that of Earth's. So her speeds would be far faster than any weapon or plane ever produced if she ran on a planet like ours.
Samus faster than Sonic confirmed. Sakurai please fix this.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thread with the 5th most replies. Seems Ridley still gets the chatter going.

I'm thinking Ridley would have terrible plodding ground speed but near Jigglypuff level air speed. Maybe even Brawl's gliding for extra distance.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Eh, I was more of the idea of Ridley being a Glass Cannon, personally; it fits more to his personality to be lightning-fast both on the ground and in the air. He'd be big and light, but strong.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Assuming that Ridley has the body part resizing that was already mentioned, the idea of him being a glass cannon might work without much opposition. I just think it depends on how much disjoint on his attacks are we willing to go along with in combination with his speed.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
He doesn't really need to be light. Even after resizing, he's going to have a huge hitbox. That makes him combo bait regardless if he's light or heavy. Even if he has many disjointed attacks, top 3rd of the roster in speed, multiple jumps, is 'floaty', and has some fast attacks that grant intangibility, he still probably won't be OP because just like every other large character, he's big, and there's a lot to hit.

I don't know if everyone here really wants Ridley to be a glass cannon or not, but if people are worried that he needs it be balanced, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Regardless of how his hitbox would affect how much he can be comboed, floatiness would still make it slightly easier to escape. Not to mention if Ridley being faster than Sonic goes past being a pure joke, it would make it kinda difficult to deal with him soaring around at the speed of sound.

Jokes aside, the properties of his attacks would affect him the most on how good he is whether he becomes something like a midrange zoner or wall archetype. Can't take advantage of a combo weight character if you can't touch him. But really, I think he could fit as a midrange character or a bait and punish depending on his speed to take advantage of his attacks.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I imagine Ridley would play like a Smash Adapted Gargos but with portals and minion stuff replaced by tail and fireball attacks.

The idea of him summoning Zebesians or some kind of space pirates seems amusing though like Gargos with his little demons, but yeah, it'd be out of left field.

Since it was brought up, I've always been mixed on the idea of Ridley being in a Mobster Hunter. I mean it could work and would be cool to see in hindsight, but beyond that, I don't know...

Always said Charizard (base form) would badly lose to him in a real fight, but with mega stones I admit he'd might have the advantage in some areas. Hard to sugarcoat it as far as that...

I wouldn't care for a glass cannon Ridley personally, but you know most of us would take anything by this point.

EDIT: Wanted to say this in another reply but so as to not get penalized for double posting... Just wanted to get this off my chest real quick, though kind of an afterthought, but regarding the poster from the previous page and anyone who might still want to paint us in a negative light because of how the whole SSB4 speculation went, look, we're not the only ones ever whose acted in denial or played some mental gymnastics about something initially when evidence has been stacked against us. Yes, it was overly desperate (and stupid perhaps) to still hope for Ridley in any way after that Pyrosphere shadow tease, but IsmaR and some (from what I remember) kinda encouraged others to still support him to the bitter end, to lessen the flames being fanned I guess, and I just went along with it so as to not be a debbie downer for those still pulling for him, even though I always knew in my mind since then that he was gonna be a hazard and nothing more. It was a lose-lose situation no matter how we all would've ended up taking it initially.

Hell, when K. Rool's Mii costume came about, I figured that would've been it for him (which turned out it was), but others still pulled to have him as a full character and fought to the bitter end, stubborn as it may have been, not unlike some of us with Ridley, but hey. It's just kinda the nature of fanbases at times. :/

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He doesn't really need to be light. Even after resizing, he's going to have a huge hitbox. That makes him combo bait regardless if he's light or heavy. Even if he has many disjointed attacks, top 3rd of the roster in speed, multiple jumps, is 'floaty', and has some fast attacks that grant intangibility, he still probably won't be OP because just like every other large character, he's big, and there's a lot to hit.

I don't know if everyone here really wants Ridley to be a glass cannon or not, but if people are worried that he needs it be balanced, I wouldn't worry about it.
Not necessarily light but midweight would work fine I feel if he has the strengths to back himself up

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
dunno, i think that ridley will probably have huge hitboxes (almost akin to a swordie), and have a decent/good mobility, a little akin to charizard. I also dont picture him with a bad recovery..

So like mewtwo, being huge AND light would be a good designed weakness.. maybe to simulate the fastness withouth breaking it, he could have very fast startup smash attacks with tons of lag afterwards. it would simulate also a little the usual 2d boss mechanic when you have long windups before attacking where you are vulnerable.

This means that ridley would be very scary on neutral. but have a weakness to patient players i guess ?

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
I like my Smash fighters like how I like my women. :101:

Also hi guys great to be back.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
According to a member of First4Figures, the Meta Ridley statue/figure's going into 3D print soon. Hopefully we'll get to see what the final product will look like soon. I'll post a picture of it here when it does get posted online, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Supah Metroid and fighting Ridley on the SNES Mini hype!

Hopefully something more of us will be able to do than the lucky few who got the NES Mini. :( If I manage to get the mini-SNES, I'll be glad I didn't get the N3DS just for portable Super Metroid which I was tempted.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Alright, you guys are gonna kill me for this but... I don't think Ridley should be in smash.
It's not because he's too big. It's not because he's from who many consider a "dead" franchise.
I think his character design is a bit off. Most to all smash 4 characters have smooth transitions, and generally simple character designs. When you take a design like yoshi or Dedede and put it next to Ridley, it just seems like he doesn't fit.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Alright, you guys are gonna kill me for this but... I don't think Ridley should be in smash.
It's not because he's too big. It's not because he's from who many consider a "dead" franchise.
I think his character design is a bit off. Most to all smash 4 characters have smooth transitions, and generally simple character designs. When you take a design like yoshi or Dedede and put it next to Ridley, it just seems like he doesn't fit.
Don't think anyone's gonna fault you for thinking his design doesn't fit, that's subjective after all, but I (and likely most other supporters in this thread) are going to have to respectfully disagree.

People felt the same way about Snake, and some of his detractors still site this as a reason for why they hope he never returns. Some currently feel this way about Bayonetta. A lot of people even make the argument against Shulk, Cloud and the entire FE cast, because "anime" styled characters "don't belong" in Smash.

Ridley's design is more monstrous that your average Nintendo character, but with some adjustments, he could still fit in quite easily. The major issue holding him back is the technical side of design rather than a visual one.

And that being said he could still work given some adjustments to his proportions, which we've seen happen to Ridley before. Currently, a big problem is Sakurai's seeming reluctance to do so and take a bit of creative liberty despite already doing so with so many others. Though at the end of the day, we don't really know what he has or hasn't tried, and I doubt it's something he'll being sharing in detail anytime soon.

And overall, if Ridley's design were "too off" to be seen alongside other non-Metroid characters, they wouldn't have bothered putting him in the games multiple times now.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't see how characters' designs "not fitting" is an issue. Even from day one, there was a huge contrast between Pokemon and Metroid, or Kirby and Zelda, or Mario and F-Zero. None of those franchises look like they could co-exist, but Smash makes them work.

I see that brought up all the time for third party characters, but it especially doesn't seem to make sense when you're talking about a character from a franchise that's already in Smash.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ What Kirbeh said, basically. And I can respect your opinion Victory, which I do as it's easy to see where you're coming from. I don't think it'd be that hard either though to touch him up in a way that could make him work, but when you import something like the Other M model (whose design was already polarized itself) and make minimal changes to it, you'll get something like the ugly mess that was his SSB4 hazard model. Whatever makes some things easier on the dev's though I guess; I know something like a stage hazard wasn't nearly as important to touch up or improve details on as other things in the game, but it still looked/felt half-assed, much as I wanted to like it. Had some cooler attacks though, more than Brawl Ridley, but the latter's designs were definitely better there, even if the regular form in Brawl wasn't the best received rendition of the Super Metroid version, but hey, it fit more with the art style of the game compared to Hazardly imo.

Opinions and stuff.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That's a nickname it was referred to since forever; force of habit still calling it that.

You're welcome though I guess. :u

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
even if the regular form in Brawl wasn't the best received rendition of the Super Metroid version, but hey, it fit more with the art style of the game compared to Hazardly imo.
And funny, Bagan got to wonder one time how is that despite me getting based from the Brawl model the most, I made Ridley still not look EXACTLY like it, other than by adding expressions to him (personality aside), and I had never analized it myself, but when I was learning to draw him back in 2006, the proportions caused problems for me, but after I learned instead from an artist's doodles of him a long time ago, I started to give him different ones, in this case I think the most noticeable ones being that his lower jaw is longer, but not exaggerated like Other M's Ridley, and make his head smaller/ body a bit bigger/longer when it comes to the limbs, and I'm not even 100 percent concistant with that even.

It is honestly a shame that instead of being a combination of styles like Zero Suit Samus is, Hazardley just added texture and a bit of model details that his concept art showed, and that's it. But I guess like you said, since it's just a hazard, they really didn't wanted to bother much with it.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They had a deadline/schedule to meet with the game, unlike fans who have all the time in the world with character mods in comparison, so it's understandable...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
They had a deadline/schedule to meet with the game, unlike fans who have all the time in the world with character mods in comparison, so it's understandable...
Yeah, at least they taking their right time to work with the game is better than rushing things (Ubi and now this Bioware being the best examples of rushed game releases). The only thing to "hope" for now is the reveal of an actual Smash game from the ground up for the Switch, and not a port, that most people definitely doesn't want I think, but who knows?

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Not that I'm a Ridley hater. In fact, I think it is a wonderful idea to bring Meta Ridley back as a Giga-bowser esk final boss, where he can be as big as he pleases. It can also make event 51 hype again, where I think Brawl's and sm4sh's lacked in both challenge and excitement.

D

Deleted member

I still say Meta Ridley should be the playable Ridley.
535862_379363855429268_2121128422_n.jpg

In Meta We Trust.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I still say Meta Ridley should be the playable Ridley.
View attachment 128254

In Meta We Trust.
Too much meta characters. First Meta Knight then Meta Ridley, if we keep this up, soon we'll get a Meta Mario who just sits there making in-jokes and being self aware.

Is that what we really want?

Vanilla Ridley is the best flavor.

D

Deleted member

Too much meta characters. First Meta Knight then Meta Ridley, if we keep this up, soon we'll get a Meta Mario who just sits there making in-jokes and being self aware.

Yes. :V

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Vanilla Ridley is the best flavor.
Only if we get Vanilla Sagat as a second SF rep.

Top Bottom