• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Here's a random question that popped in my head: what would Ridley sound like if he laughed?

I ask due to thinking of Subspace Emissary Bowser and how they did it with his monster noises.
Imagine if it was Parasite X's scream, but as a laugh. Yikes!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here's a random question that popped in my head: what would Ridley sound like if he laughed?

I ask due to thinking of Subspace Emissary Bowser and how they did it with his monster noises.
It actually sounds like this.
...yeah, it's not very threatening. That's why he doesn't do it very often.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
It is absolute canon that anyone who has ever heard Ridley laugh hasn't lived long enough to tell anyone else about it.

Head canon is still a type of canon.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's weird, because it's only about 6 months between when the game and how exciting it is was formally unveiled and when it releases, yet it feels so long. Especially compared to Brawl and Smash 4, which both had about a year and a half between their announcement to their release. And then Brawl got delayed twice, though I didn't even know it got delayed when it happened, and I still picked it up on release day.

But I wasn't nearly as excited for Smash 4 as I am for Ultimate. The only character I was even kind of excited for in Smash 4 was Mega Man. I thought all the other characters were interesting and cool, but not characters I wanted to play as. My main concern about Smash 4 was that R.O.B. might get cut. But with Ultimate, there are no cuts, and Snake and Young Link are coming back. And RIDLEY, finally.

Though my hype for Smash Ultimate is mostly due to how much time I ended up putting into Smash 4 with my family. All the fun balance, gameplay, and quality of life improvements are exciting, the returning characters finish what Smash 4 started, and finally there's a new character that I'm really excited for. Also, it's on the Switch, so I'm going to be able to put so much more time into it for a variety of reasons.

Only 5 more months to go, but it already feels like the longest 6 months ever.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I’m at SDCC right now and I managed to play as Ridley!

He’s really fun! He’s a bit on the heavy side though, but it helps because his size makes him really subject to a lot of stray attacks.

He’s a bit similar to Charizard in some aspects, but on the whole he’s a pretty different beast. So people who like Charizard or Bowser should be able to enjoy Ridley.

I’ve only played a few matches with Ridley so far, but I’m pretty confident he’s going to be main material for me.

Also, I got visual confirmation on Ridley’s alias for Boxing Ring:
E48DF08E-B110-48A3-832F-5601743C4DB3.jpeg

It is indeed Cunning God of Death. ;)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

He’s really fun! He’s a bit on the heavy side though, but it helps because his size makes him really subject to a lot of stray attacks.

He’s a bit similar to Charizard in some aspects, but on the whole he’s a pretty different beast. So people who like Charizard or Bowser should be able to enjoy Ridley.

I’ve only played a few matches with Ridley so far, but I’m pretty confident he’s going to be main material for me.

Also, I got visual confirmation on Ridley’s alias for Boxing Ring: View attachment 153689

^ XD Something to examplify my reaction to this being an ACTUAL thing.

x3 I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! I never thought I would get to see that title of his being actually addressed.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
DAMN. That's the most hardcore title for any character in Smash. Even Ganondorf seems weak compared to that. Can't wait to surprise people with that.

AndreaAC

It's surprising because it mentions death.
I know, that is why I like the fact that from all the things they could have come up with for his ring title, they took that one straight from where it came from, with death and all.

Staarih

Smash Master
Also, I got visual confirmation on Ridley’s alias for Boxing Ring: It is indeed Cunning God of Death. ;)
Thank you, I was starting to think Ridley's boxing ring title was just a myth since I couldn't find any footage of it no matter how hard I tried haha!

Also awesome to hear Ridley is fun to play as! Though I guess that goes without saying after seeing tons of footage of him :)

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Also, I got visual confirmation on Ridley’s alias for Boxing Ring: View attachment 153689

It doesn't get anymore fitting than that. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying Ridley thus far. I'm definitely looking forward to getting the game and playing as Ridley when it is available.

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
It might have taken a lot of years and drum beating, but how well everything about Ridley is portrayed is so on point, I feel it was well worth the wait. Its all so amazing and good.

AndreaAC's reaction to his ring title probably sums up a fair few our reactions. ^-^

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Got some more Ridley footage from Comic Con. It would be better if the player didn't randomly pause at certain points, but it still has some good stuff.

Two things:

First off, someone landed the sweetspot on Kirby. Was probably luck, but still cool to see regardless.
Second, holy crap, did Ridley's infinite jab seriously cancel out Little Mac's Final Smash?!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Got some more Ridley footage from Comic Con. It would be better if the player didn't randomly pause at certain points, but it still has some good stuff.

Two things:

First off, someone landed the sweetspot on Kirby. Was probably luck, but still cool to see regardless.
Second, holy crap, did Ridley's infinite jab seriously cancel out Little Mac's Final Smash?!
I think the Mac player just whiffed, he went through a whole shrinking animation. The Kirby was also buried by Inkling.

Also saw Ridley up b bouncing off a solid surface again, and Bunny Hood Ridley.

Edit: Not related to Ridley, but it seems that Boss Galaga causes the background to go black when it catches someone.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Wait, that sweetspot landed while Kirby was buried by Inkling's paint roller. That could be insane for doubles games, because Inkling (or Villager and anyone else that can bury) can immobilize a character can set it up, and Ridley can come in for a free sweetspot hit. Mewtwo's Disable would also be good at that. Interesting.

Boss Galaga turning the background black is a nice touch. Not just for the neat effect, but because there've been many times I've witnessed people not notice they were trapped and get confused by what's happening. So it communicates a bit more clearly that the player is in trouble, that way they can respond.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wait, that sweetspot landed while Kirby was buried by Inkling's paint roller. That could be insane for doubles games, because Inkling (or Villager and anyone else that can bury) can immobilize a character can set it up, and Ridley can come in for a free sweetspot hit. Mewtwo's Disable would also be good at that. Interesting.

Boss Galaga turning the background black is a nice touch. Not just for the neat effect, but because there've been many times I've witnessed people not notice they were trapped and get confused by what's happening. So it communicates a bit more clearly that the player is in trouble, that way they can respond.
Tell that to the Beetle...

You know, I've always considered Disable to be pretty close to what Ridley's down b is like, so seeing them work in concert would be funny.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Another point in favour of the Inkling Ridley team up, is that the ink apparently increases all damage taken by a multiplier. That means increased damage on the buried opponent being tail impaled.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Tell that to the Beetle...

You know, I've always considered Disable to be pretty close to what Ridley's down b is like, so seeing them work in concert would be funny.
Well, the Beetle is shot by a player in a straight line, while Boss Galaga flies around at the top of the screen for a bit and then descends. If you're watching your opponent(s), the Beetle is easy to notice and avoid, but you can lose track of the Galaga, since it moves on its own.

Another point in favour of the Inkling Ridley team up, is that the ink apparently increases all damage taken by a multiplier. That means increased damage on the buried opponent being tail impaled.
Funny, these two went from being bitter enemies (going by all the Inkling vs Ridley matches we've seen) to possibly being one of the best tag teams in the game. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
God Ridley's title is amazing compared to everyone else.

Even Ganondorf and Bowser can't claim to be gods, merely kings.

AndreaAC

God Ridley's title is amazing compared to everyone else.

Even Ganondorf and Bowser can't claim to be gods, merely kings.
^ This.

xD I was going to make a comic out of the title reveal, but I need some time to inspire myself. It is just TOO GOOD.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something else about Galaga, it continues to carry you into the background until you become a star.

The ink multiplier caps out at 1.8x apprently. If Ridley's sweetspot damage remains the same, that means it can do over 100% in a single attack.
Chances are the roller's bury duration will be nerfed in the full release, however...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
My post from Resetera.

Ok sorry for the ultra late update. I just wanted to be a little cautious even though everything I'm about to mention is more or less known or could be inferred by everything we've already learned about Smash development. This was not an interview, I'm not apart of any gaming organization or anything of the sort. It was just 2 Nintendo fans chatting it up and everything I'm about to mention is super simplified from our half hour conversation.

So today at the San Diego Comicon I ran into Nintendo Treehouse's JC. Super duper nice guy. You can tell he loves working at Nintendo and is absolutely proud of it. One of the first things I did was tell him to thank Sakurai for Ridley. I mentioned how I am married with children, I mentioned my profession and that I was well adjusted mentally(allegedly). I told him I waited 17 years for Ridley to be playable and I cried real tears of joy during the direct. I showed him the video I posted last month and he sure got a kick out of it. He more or less told me those are the types of reactions he and Sakurai loves from the fans and thats when we got into Ridley discussion.

- The Treehouse folks have been very aware of the constant Ridley debates for years. How could they not right?
- Treehouse tentacles are all over the net.
- Naturally Sakurai gets feedback from Treehouse and wonders who would be a big deal.
- Apparently a lot of characters are discussed but even the treehouse guys don't know who ultimately gets picked.
- Ridley is brought up as the big deal but over in Japan it's hard for Sakurai and the team to understand, he wants to know why.
- People aren't talking about Ridley and Metroid over there like we do.
- Metroid doesn't sell so well out there and even over here in the west it doesn't exactly light up the sales charts.
- It gets explained that Metroid carries a prestige with it and the fans who love it they really love it.
-There were other talks about Sakurai's comments regarding Ridley after Smash 4 released, like the too big stuff but I don't really remember.
- Sakurai in the Direct basically said he hopes we don't expect too many newcomers this time around. I'm not quoting JC but man when I heard him say it the way he said it in his own words there was some clear cut weight to the statement.
- Balancing all 60+ characters is very difficult and it takes a ton of work. Thats a big reason why there will probably be less newcomers than we are used to.
- Getting everyone back was a huge priority.

You look at my posts since the Direct I didn't really believe Sakurai and have been thinking 10 total including 2 or 3 echos. Now I'm taking Sakurai's words seriously. I'm just assuming all of this of course.

We didn't discuss the possibility of DLC at all but after that exchange my personal guess is the majority of our newcomers will come from DLC.

- We talked about what it was like working for Nintendo and that there are certain people who just fit right in with the Nintendo work place culture.
- Nintendo is extremely small compared to other developers.
- Iwata was very familiar with all of those Treehouse guys and his passing was difficult for everyone. Not just guys sitting at the very top.
- I told him Dixie is my final request.

Let me think of what else we talked about. The topics of newcomers and Ridley stood out the most by far.

Sorry if you expected some major news revelation.

Top Bottom