• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

StormC

Smash Hero
xD You really did? I mean, I posted just a few stuff of Rids there a while ago but now it is mostly hidden! But Glad you did!

^u^ Aw, thank you so much! I'm still as happy to keep drawing him as I was before the reveal! But now with a little bit of BOOST POWER! Haha! :p

Also, have you guys seen this?

xD I would have loved to be there!
BKupa666 BKupa666 recorded and posted that, lol.

Does anyone else find it creepy that Ridley doesn't have any visible irises?
The only time he's ever had irises was in Brawl and honestly it made him look kinda goofy.

EDIT: I guess he did have them on the Super Metroid boxart:

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Does anyone else find it creepy that Ridley doesn't have any visible irises?
I like how his eyes aren’t just fullbright but actually GLOW and cast light on his skull-like face during the trailer.

That said I wish this Ridley had irises like Bagan’s because it makes him look smarter, but that’s really just a Metroid problem, not a Smash one.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, I would have never suspected it and since I found out about it just some minutes ago, I couldn't stop chuckling at it. xD It's amazing.
I'm the guy people in the comments section are comparing to a heavy metal singer, heh. That was the most hyped-up crowd I've ever been a part of (minus the groans when Waluigi became an AT), and it was so, so fulfilling to get to heap a giant shovel of dirt over "too big" to help bury it once and for all after 11 years of wanting Ridley.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Didn't think I'd be saying this, but happy father's day to daddy Sakurai and not just for giving us our wish. :ultridley:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Something that dawned on me earlier.

Remember this little snot?

Guess he ran his mouth too much and is paying the price for it now.
It would've been hilarious if you could actually KO that snot-nosed little rodent during matches. Ridley would finally be getting his revenge after being ridiculed like that; nobody gets away from mocking the leader of the Space Pirates. :evil:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, something else entirely...

How does Ridley's weight rank up compared to the other heavies; Bowser and DK? Is he even a proper heavy weight or not?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm the guy people in the comments section are comparing to a heavy metal singer, heh. That was the most hyped-up crowd I've ever been a part of (minus the groans when Waluigi became an AT), and it was so, so fulfilling to get to heap a giant shovel of dirt over "too big" to help bury it once and for all after 11 years of wanting Ridley.
And Ridley of course needs his partner in crime. Our fan bases have been tight knit for a long time, and it’s only fair we both see victory in the end.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
xD Your voice is great, let me tell ya! Thank you for sharing this and lucky you for having this experience!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay, something else entirely...

How does Ridley's weight rank up compared to the other heavies; Bowser and DK? Is he even a proper heavy weight or not?
It's difficult to say as of yet, guys like ZeRo has said that he's definitely heavy, but from some of the videos it doesn't seem like he's quite Bowser or DK heavy. Maybe he's like Charizard heavy? Either way it's all subject to change.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I had a thought,

Ridley has his own victory theme, but it's not his signature theme. It sounds very ominous though, could only fit a villain. But what if it's not his theme because he's actually sharing it with another villain.

It would tie in well with the idea that Dark Samus is an echo fighter

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So I had a thought,

Ridley has his own victory theme, but it's not his signature theme. It sounds very ominous though, could only fit a villain. But what if it's not his theme because he's actually sharing it with another villain.

It would tie in well with the idea that Dark Samus is an echo fighter
Wait, he does?

So is the Dorf now the only villain sharing the hero’s theme?

I really want every character to get a unique theme - each series should still be the same melody, but have differences unique to each character. Sort of like MK’s or Bowser’s rock remixes of their respective themes

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Wait, he does?

So is the Dorf now the only villain sharing the hero’s theme?

I really want every character to get a unique theme - each series should still be the same melody, but have differences unique to each character. Sort of like MK’s or Bowser’s rock remixes of their respective themes
I want every character to have unique themes, but I'd them all be different melody's too. Like Rosalina and Dark Pit

Also Wolf and King Dedede (while often helpful these days, he's Should still be considered the main antagonist)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
that video is great, I love that ppl can get excited over shared things rather then fight over differences NOT TO BIG, NOT TO BIG

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Was talking with Max Ketchum who got to play Ridley at E3. He should have some good thoughts on the character when he publishes Part 2 of his Ultimate breakdown, but I figured I'd share with you what he said to me last night regarding the character:

>"he's like FULLY a gimmick it seems LOL"
>"basically like he has mad moves that do 20+ damage and you just have to hope that you can set up into them cause he's a big body with subpar recovery"
>"his nair is crazy though"
>"and when i can use tilt stick and do dashing tilts mmmmm"
>"funny how he has m2's dtilt (I play Mewtwo so he thought this was a 'throw to me' being a big Ridley fan and Mewtwo player lol)"
>"he's more of a gamble than a gimmick"
>"you have to get the yung side b command grab for a solid 25 or like fair does 18 LOL or down b to win half the game and then not get juggled for 50 afterward"
>"he also def has legitimately good moves. nair like i said"

He said he wasn't sure how he'd rank him in the demo bc big bodies are hard to learn on the fly and he doesn't play that type of character. Also seems like he obviously would be better to use if controls were editable, like they will be in the final product and aren't in the demo. Also seems like Ridley is pretty hard to use without any lab time bc no one knows how to set up into anything he can do, if it's possible at all. But that's to be expected.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Was talking with Max Ketchum who got to play Ridley at E3. He should have some good thoughts on the character when he publishes Part 2 of his Ultimate breakdown, but I figured I'd share with you what he said to me last night regarding the character:

>"basically like he has mad moves that do 20+ damage and you just have to hope that you can set up into them cause he's a big body with subpar recovery"
>"funny how he has m2's dtilt (I play Mewtwo so he thought this was a 'throw to me' being a big Ridley fan and Mewtwo player lol)"
>"you have to get the yung side b command grab for a solid 25 or like fair does 18 LOL or down b to win half the game and then not get juggled for 50 afterward"

He said he wasn't sure how he'd rank him in the demo bc big bodies are hard to learn on the fly and he doesn't play that type of character. Also seems like he obviously would be better to use if controls were editable, like they will be in the final product and aren't in the demo. Also seems like Ridley is pretty hard to use without any lab time bc no one knows how to set up into anything he can do, if it's possible at all. But that's to be expected.
I mean. Of course he's hard without lab time, he's a brand new character who we only know the moveset of for a little less than a week

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I mean. Of course he's hard without lab time, he's a brand new character who we only know the moveset of for a little less than a week
Obviously. I was just qualifying the preceding statements. That's not really the salient point I was making with posting that information lol. That's also why I said "But that's to be expected."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Obviously. I was just qualifying the preceding statements. That's not really the salient point I was making with posting that information lol. That's also why I said "But that's to be expected."
I know but I had to laugh at that. It's fun seeing so many perspectives on Ridley but from what I can gather he's a big target who's easy to combo but if he gets in you're ****ed and better pray that he can't connect with a kill move. Ridley's point is to do damage and lots of it

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I know but I had to laugh at that. It's fun seeing so many perspectives on Ridley but from what I can gather he's a big target who's easy to combo but if he gets in you're ****ed and better pray that he can't connect with a kill move. Ridley's point is to do damage and lots of it
Yeah of course. Hopefully he can connect reliably though. This game is going to be way more about speed and pressure than the previous game, so I hope Ridley has the tools to box with other characters and has quick enough buttons on the ground to not get sauced in close quarters. But stuff like run canceling is going to be super helpful for him in doing so.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah of course. Hopefully he can connect reliably though. This game is going to be way more about speed and pressure than the previous game, so I hope Ridley has the tools to box with other characters and has quick enough buttons on the ground to not get sauced in close quarters. But stuff like run canceling is going to be super helpful for him in doing so.
Ridley's Fair screams "USE ME AS A WALL OF PAIN" to me. What I also want to know is if you can get his recovery to go up diagonally as if he's too far from the ledge to go straight up but can't reach it, he'll dive under it

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Ridley's Fair screams "USE ME AS A WALL OF PAIN" to me. What I also want to know is if you can get his recovery to go up diagonally as if he's too far from the ledge to go straight up but can't reach it, he'll dive under it
I hope they just improve his recovery, idk why they gave him a worse Firefox it seems. For a character that's all about being volatile in the air his recovery is a bit unimpressive. I hope they just give him all 8 directions instead of prescribed routes for up-B.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I hope they just improve his recovery, idk why they gave him a worse Firefox it seems. For a character that's all about being volatile in the air his recovery is a bit unimpressive. I hope they just give him all 8 directions instead of prescribed routes for up-B.
I think it's a cop out answer for balance, the guy's got some weight, hits like hell and is pretty speedy

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Yeah, he definitely doesn't seem that easy to use, his only setup move from the demo seemed to be d-tilt from what I've seen, and people obviously weren't familiar enough with him to make the most of it. He seems very much subject to change, I expect him to be quite different in the final product (as I do with every character, as everyone only seemed to have one or two setup moves, which would be quite one dimensional), especially if overall gameplay mechanics are changed.

I hope we'll get a legit setup for his side-b, because being able to get an edgeguard situation from the center of the stage and at any percentage would be really strong, especially if recoveries and ledges aren't as safe as in Smash 4 as some pros mentioned.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I think it's a cop out answer for balance, the guy's got some weight, hits like hell and is pretty speedy
Yeah for sure, it's just odd from a character perspective, but for balance it seems necessary. At least his recovery has a hitbox unlike some characters lol

Yeah, he definitely doesn't seem that easy to use, his only setup move from the demo seemed to be d-tilt from what I've seen, and people obviously weren't familiar enough with him to make the most of it. He seems very much subject to change, I expect him to be quite different in the final product (as I do with every character, as everyone only seemed to have one or two setup moves, which would be quite one dimensional), especially if overall gameplay mechanics are changed.

I hope we'll get a legit setup for his side-b, because being able to get an edgeguard situation from the center of the stage and at any percentage would be really strong, especially if recoveries and ledges aren't as safe as in Smash 4 as some pros mentioned.
I hope we can get something out of jab 1. All of his tilts seem decent to good, which is nice. Though tbh he definitely seems like an aggro rushdown character than one who relies on setups. Get a big hit, corner carry, snowball into edgeguard. Although low-percent combos off dtilt definitely seem possible.

Also his dash attack looks pretty solid at covering landing options but seems like a lot of characters have improved DAs in this game.

I'm not sure how much he'll change though until launch. But I'm confident patches would rectify any issues we have with him at launch anyway. I don't think Sakurai intends for him to be a weak character, but I'm also wondering how well they'll be able to address what makes him weak in the competitive meta versus the rest of the game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Not that you're wrong, but funny you say that when you have an avatar of an MK character. :p

Those who felt emotionally validated by Sakurai before with those statements must be feeling it now huh?

*test reply to see if Ridley appears in my background post
edit: Wasn't at first, but now he is. :)
Its amazing that you recognize the character.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a fifth direction for the Up B: diagonally forward and up, at an angle that's perfect for recovering. But it's very rare to see anyone use it, unlike the other four directions. I don't think most people know what to do to fly that direction. As I understand his Up B, it'll fly you one of four different angles depending on which of the four cardinal directions you push the stick before he flys off. This leaves this fifth direction as a bit of a mystery.

My theory is that if you up b, but don't input a direction, that might be the angle he goes. Regardless of however its done, just the fact he has that direction will make a difference for recovering.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I've seen a fifth direction for the Up B: diagonally forward and up, at an angle that's perfect for recovering. But it's very rare to see anyone use it, unlike the other four directions. I don't think most people know what to do to fly that direction. As I understand his Up B, it'll fly you one of four different angles depending on which of the four cardinal directions you push the stick before he flys off. This leaves this fifth direction as a bit of a mystery.

My theory is that if you up b, but don't input a direction, that might be the angle he goes. Regardless of however its done, just the fact he has that direction will make a difference for recovering.
Is this fifth route more horizontal or vertical? As in, is he going more forward than he is up or up more than he is forward?

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
By memory, more forward than up, but it's close to a 45 degree angle. If I get a chance, I'll try and relocate a video that has the angle in it.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Just want to say.

You guys friggin earned this. Congrats.

That is all.

:ultridley:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
After Ridley getting in, and ganondorf being a clone again my top 10 is now
1. Pig ganon
2. King K rool
3. A zora rep
4. A goron rep
5. Dixie Kong
6.Simon Belmont
7. Waluigi
8. Twintelle
9. A Rito rep
10. A female Gerudo rep

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
After Ridley getting in, and ganondorf being a clone again my top 10 is now
1. Pig ganon
2. King K rool
3. A zora rep
4. A goron rep
5. Dixie Kong
6.Simon Belmont
7. Waluigi
8. Twintelle
9. A Rito rep
10. A female Gerudo rep
At least Ganondorf has some new Smashes. I was expecting him to be exactly as he was in the previous games with no changes at all lol.

Now that we have Ridley, for me it's:

-Funky Kong
-Captain Toad
-Mipha
-King K. Rool
-Cooking Mama
-Decidueye
-Waddle Dee
-Rex + Pyra
-Spyro
-Crash
-Rayman
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Spring Man
-Shovel Knight
-Travis Touchdown
-Simon Belmont

Out of these, I think Funky, Rayman, Spring Man, Simon, Travis, and Mipha are likely.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My top 10 would be:

1. K. Rool
2. Skull Kid
3. Porky
4. Shovel Knight
5. Crash
6. Dark Matter
7. Bandana Dee
8. Dark Samus
9. Spyro
10. Geno

Some of them are very unlikely, I can only see one or two of K. Rool, Bandana Dee and Geno happening for the base game, Dark Samus being an echo character at most, and Crash would only have a chance as DLC.

K. Rool used to be around 5th or so, but with Ridley's inclusion I just really want to plug the last few notable gaps, which is why Geno also snuck his way in.

StormC

Smash Hero
1. K. Rool
2. Decidueye
3. Dixie Kong
4. Bandana Dee
5. Ganon
6. Dr. Eggman
7. Kamek
8. Zero
9. Lip
10. Dillon

After the first 5 or so I stop feeling particularly strongly about these characters, but hey. I'd mention Bomberman but... y'know.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
personally with Ridley in, the other character I strongly want is Simon Belmont.... and thats it. maybe Solaire.

if i need to go for a list though

Strongly want:
1-Simon Belmont
Would be very happy if they get in, but wouldn't bummer if not.
2-Solaire of Astoria (or Chosen undead)
3-Lycanrock
4-Shovel Knight
5-Urbosa
6-Mimikyu
7-Mipha
And the last ones I woulf find them very interesting additions, but not breaking any sweats...
8-Ashley
9-Lyn
10-Bomberman

Honorable mention, Dk Rep, Dixie Kong.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
My new top 10 would be:

1. King K. Rool
2. Simon Belmont (very closely with K. Rool in terms of want)
3. Elma
4. Dixie Kong
5. Dragonborn
6. Dark Samus
7. Paper Mario
8. Isaac
9. Captain Toad
10. Mimikyu

Like Masterofknees, I didn't start to really want K. Rool until after Ridley was added in, so now I'm gunning for his inclusion so that we can at long last have the Hype Three be playable in the same game.

Honestly, it's so weird to not have Ridley at the number one spot for me anymore. It's surreal, like having to dust off something that's been there for an extremely long time because it hasn't been picked up or used.

Top Bottom