• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

low tier ssb64 characters

who is the worst low tier ssb64 character

• Total voters

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I heard it was impossible to get more than a 2 hit combo as samus. Maybe it was 3 but I'm pretty sure it was 2. Idk I may me way off base

M4TT

Smash Cadet
I heard it was impossible to get more than a 2 hit combo as samus. Maybe it was 3 but I'm pretty sure it was 2. Idk I may me way off base
you can get some decent combos with samus's forward air on platforms

If you tech chase you can get some insane combos too

bomb combos are also a thing, but difficult

Yoshi-Fan GM

Smash Cadet
Link is definitely the worst IMO. He's like the character that I've had less trouble to play against specially since Dream Land is now the only available stage in competitive play.

Luigi at least has a much better recovery, and can KO lightweights at low %.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Link is definitely the worst IMO. He's like the character that I've had less trouble to play against specially since Dream Land is now the only available stage in competitive play.

Luigi at least has a much better recovery, and can KO lightweights at low %.
I disagree. I think Link is minimally better. For one, he actually has decent projectiles. He can thus camp, zone, and put up walls a bit easier. Link doesn't have such awkward jumps, combined with awful traction, poor mobility, and slow air speed. Luigi suffers from all this.

Granted, yes, Luigi is better off-stage. But on-stage, Link has better tools to dictate the pace of the match and play on his terms. Luigi is a sitting duck. He cannot realistically approach safely, control the area around him, pressure, and keep up with faster, more dangerous characters. I agree with the current tier list placement of both Link and Luigi.

:144:

Crooked Crow

Jiggs is by far the worst IMO. The other three played at high levels can be crippling to play. Given Jiggs CAN be annoying if the player is highly experienced.
Have you ever watched Wangera play? Jigglypuff is a very rounded middle tier, with a decent match-up spread. She has, obviously, great aerial mobility and a DownB that's honestly quite broken, can be combo'd into, and provides invincibility frames until her eyes close.

Additionally, her attacks, with a few exceptions, provide low knockback, come out fast, and have decent frame data. She's good at securing those kills through her extensive aerial based combo game. Jigglypuff has decent hitboxes on all of her essential moves. UpSmash? Ow.

So, Jigglypuff has:

1. Good mobility.
2. Combo game is strong; allows her to combo into DownB.
3. Gimps, gimps. Gimps! Nair. Bair. Fair. All very deadly off-stage.
4. She's floaty. Not many things are true confirms on Jigglypuff. She's the lightest character by far in an engine that rewards lightweight, mobile characters.

However, Jigglypuff can be killed at ridiculously premature percentages. I would also argue her neutral is a bit bare-you really need to mix up your approach and play to her strengths.

Jigglypuff is not the worst character. She has no problem dealing with the actual low tiers, plus a more versatile and functional toolkit. She is a solid middle tier character and belongs there, although I personally think Mario is better.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
Have you ever watched Wangera play? Jigglypuff is a very rounded middle tier, with a decent match-up spread. She has, obviously, great aerial mobility and a DownB that's honestly quite broken, can be combo'd into, and provides invincibility frames until her eyes close.

Additionally, her attacks, with a few exceptions, provide low knockback, come out fast, and have decent frame data. She's good at securing those kills through her extensive aerial based combo game. Jigglypuff has decent hitboxes on all of her essential moves. UpSmash? Ow.

So, Jigglypuff has:

1. Good mobility.
2. Combo game is strong; allows her to combo into DownB.
3. Gimps, gimps. Gimps! Nair. Bair. Fair. All very deadly off-stage.
4. She's floaty. Not many things are true confirms on Jigglypuff. She's the lightest character by far in an engine that rewards lightweight, mobile characters.

However, Jigglypuff can be killed at ridiculously premature percentages. I would also argue her neutral is a bit bare-you really need to mix up your approach and play to her strengths.

Jigglypuff is not the worst character. She has no problem dealing with the actual low tiers, plus a more versatile and functional toolkit. She is a solid middle tier character and belongs there, although I personally think Mario is better.

I have, and this argument in my opinion is the equivalent of "Have you ever seen Isai play (insert character here?)" I tried to preface what I said by noting that at a very high level jiggs can be extremely aggravating, easily taking stocks in a few seconds with stupid little combos into down b. I think her mobility is decent, not good. Her gimps do not set her apart at all in that category, her gimps are mostly common, not OP and across the board for the most part IMO. And the floaty part seems like more of a general info type of thing than an actual solid bullet point for her pros... obviously in some situations it's advantageous to be light/floaty. Personally I see this more as just a character trait that must be adjusted to when playing or playing against, not necessarily a pro or con. Also, these are all just opinions.

Crooked Crow

Well. I don't see how you could argue Link or Luigi being better than Jigglypuff. Her design is better complimented by her physics and moveset.

Many would disagree. She's pretty average but definitely not terrible. Isai is also the exception to a generally well understood rule; Wangera is solo Jigglypuff and places well.

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
Well. I don't see how you could argue Link or Luigi being better than Jigglypuff. Her design is better complimented by her physics and moveset.

Many would disagree. She's pretty average but definitely not terrible. Isai is also the exception to a generally well understood rule; Wangera is solo Jigglypuff and places well.

She's pretty average, but definitely not terrible. For sure.
All I meant by the player comment was that you can't take one character's best solo main and say for example "Have you seen aMSa play Yoshi?"
Yes, the best main of a certain character is obviously going to be godly and make the character look playable.

jadster12

Smash Cadet
definitely samus by far shes slow clunky and her blaster is to slow 2 charge or releese by the time you do the foe has already dodged you her up air isnt that great and down spike leaves much to be desired luigi on the other hand i can argue for being at least mid tier he's not as good as mario but his combos still flow together and his up is deadly when used right also hi recovery isnt have bad if you time it right not 2 mention if you play doubles his and mario's grab combo is downright op (ever played a fun game of pass d falcon) anyway i can confidently say tho he may not be the best character he's nowhere as bad as per say dk or samus he should at least me mid-tier

Crooked Crow

definitely samus by far shes slow clunky and her blaster is to slow 2 charge or releese by the time you do the foe has already dodged you her up air isnt that great and down spike leaves much to be desired luigi on the other hand i can argue for being at least mid tier he's not as good as mario but his combos still flow together and his up is deadly when used right also hi recovery isnt have bad if you time it right not 2 mention if you play doubles his and mario's grab combo is downright op (ever played a fun game of pass d falcon) anyway i can confidently say tho he may not be the best character he's nowhere as bad as per say dk or samus he should at least me mid-tier
This is all wrong.

jadster12

Smash Cadet
not its not to prove my point im going to play today if u can 2 then play and then we'll share how each character worked better for u :luigimelee: or :4samus:

Crooked Crow

not its not to prove my point im going to play today if u can 2 then play and then we'll share how each character worked better for u :luigimelee: or :4samus:
I'd probably 5 stock you.

*edit*

But since you asked so politely, sure, I'll expand.

definitely samus by far shes slow clunky and her blaster is to slow 2 charge or releese by the time you do the foe has already dodged you
Yes, her frame data is rather average, and so is her mobility. But Samus can cover vertical platform options extremely well. Her Dair covers a lot of space, you can Dair through platforms for mix-ups, and Dair pops the opponent up so that you catch them with Bair or Charge Shot. They can't circumvent the hitstun; it's going to connect providing you position yourself correctly.

Her Dair is probably Samus' best move- it leads to tech chases and spikes super early. Especially considering Dreamland 64 is the only viable stage, Samus has no difficulties making use of the symmetrical platform layout.

luigi on the other hand i can argue for being at least mid tier he's not as good as mario but his combos still flow together and his up is deadly when used right also hi recovery isnt have bad if you time it right not 2 mention if you play doubles his and mario's grab combo is downright op
Luigi is probably the absolute worst character in this game. Luigi has awful speed, traction, mobility, a sub-par projectile, a very awkward short hop (makes approaching and shield pressure, also tech chasing, very difficult) and overall just gets shut down by quicker characters with better physics, and who's physics compliment their toolkit better.

UpB is Luigi's crutch option. It's all he has. Down B is good out of a combo, too, but it's tricker to land the last hitbox. Both Luigi and Mario have predictable, linear recoveries in the grand scheme of things.

Mario has better mobility, traction, speed, combo game through his Uair and better short hop and falling speed, a better projectile that covers space and cuts opponents options off, and has considerably more potential as a result.

anyway i can confidently say tho he may not be the best character he's nowhere as bad as per say dk or samus he should at least me mid-tier
Donkey Kong and Samus are better than Luigi- Mario is mid-tier and is better in every manner. Both Luigi and Mario also lack range, and this hurts them.

Last edited:

jadster12

Smash Cadet
lol very funny i respect your humor but i rly have entered real tournaments for example long island retro gaming expo which is one i did this year dont believe me look it up i did doubles and singles

jadster12

Smash Cadet
also nice summary but we each have our own opinions u stick to yours and i'll stick to mine yes luigi is viewed as the worst character in the game but i personally believe from my own experience thats he's not im ok with having an unpopular opinion but in time playing with the game i dont see him as bad as others do as i see dk being the worst (sorry dk mains) but its just from all the playing people that i ind thats he's not that bad and yes mario is much better but there are certain properties from luigi that i see makes him a worth while investment to try to play i like i said we have our opinions and this is just mine

Crooked Crow

lol very funny i respect your humor but i rly have entered real tournaments for example long island retro gaming expo which is one i did this year dont believe me look it up i did doubles and singles
https://smash.gg/tournament/long-island-retro-gaming-expo-2018/events

There were only 2 teams, and this is hardly super major level. This is akin to a local. I doubt you compete at top levels, because your understanding of Smash 64 is rudimentary at best. I realize you have an opinion, but what I'm saying isn't opinion, it's fact.

jadster12

Smash Cadet
just so you know the link is kinda wrong but after 2 weeks they took down most of the teams now its your choice to believe or not but thats what happened besides that thats all i have 2 say for now

XX-Saber Lincoln

Smash Rookie
Well, considering how things are right now, I would still vote for Luigi. Unless you know how to pull off his Up-B while at the same time reducing risks, use Mario. The reason why I didn't vote for the others? Well, for starters, Jigglypuff is no longer a low-tier character; Samus can be a great zoning character (especially against characters who lack a projectile game); and Link can rack up damage if you are tactical enough. Despite maining DK for a while now, I believe that he is one of the worst characters in the game simply for the reason that many of his moves have incredible ending lag. If you are fighting a crowd of agile players, you are toast.

Perfect Garret

Smash Rookie
I voted jigglypuff, he's so fragile, and all my friends, and me sucked at using him. Link has such strong moves, good zoning, his biggest flaw is his poor recovery but, besides that he's very versatile I think he's underrated. Don't underestimate a good Samus main they can hit you with a charged blast at the best times from so far away, my brother taught me how deadly she can be. Luigi I got little opinion on he seemed ok.

Eeeyah911

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArkGod123
Switch FC
SW-6879-3932-9767
For me, it's Jigglypuff.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying Link, at least he can kill stuff.

If I could say one negative about Link though, it would be his Recovery

Edit: But then again, almost everyone in Smash 64 had crappy recovery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom