• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Tier City- PREREG IS UP! Link in 2nd Post! July 27th-28th Grapevine, Tx

Which N64 Mario Party should we run for a side event?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Smash Master
LOW TIER CITY
Project: M Only
Presented by Sethlon and Oracle
Dates: July 27th and 28th
Traveling:
USE MEGABUS IF YOU CAN!! By far the cheapest and simplest way to travel. LTC is far enough in the future that you should be able to get cheap tickets. I will be able to give people rides to and from the station. Post here and coordinate trips to make it easier! The Downtown Dallas stop is the best stop to travel in to, but there is also Grand Prairie stop that isn't too far away.

Events and fees:
Venue Fee: $10 (50% discount if you bring a setup)
Project: M Singles- $15 Entry
Project: M Doubles- $20 per team
Mario Party 2- $3
Amatuer Bracket- Free (uses 7.5% allocation of the pot)

Ruleset
1. 4 Stocks

2. 8 Minute Time Limit

3. Items set to “Off” and “None”

4. Buffer set to OFF

5. Modified DSR: The same stage may not be played on more than once per set, unless agreed upon by both players.

6. In the event of a match going to time/sudden death, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whoever has more remaining stock left.
b. If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by whoever has less percent.
c. If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters and same stage.
d. In the event of going to sudden death because of suicide kill move (such as Ganon's overB or Dedede's inhale), the player initiating the move will be declared the winner.

7. Sets will be best out of 3 games. Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best out of 5.

Addendum for Doubles

1. Team Attack set to “On”

2. Life stealing is allowed. (Note that lifestealing in Project: M is done by pressing A+B, rather than Melee's start)

3. In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whichever team has more remaining stock.
b. If both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.

Character/Stage Selection Process

1. Blind Picks character selection.

2. bottom row is neutral stages, strike in 1-2-2-1 to decide which stage to play on for the first round
3. Legal counterpick stages will be the front row, minus ps1 and norfair, plus lylat and delfino. Winning player gets four bans.
4. Winner picks character
5. Loser picks character
6. Repeat until set is finished
Modified Modified DSR: no stage may be played on more than once per set

Other Rules
1. The Tournament Organizer is the arbiter of all disputes.

2. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.

3. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.

4. MikeHaze rule: No intentionally disrupting players, whether physically or vocally. This applies to EVERYONE, players and spectators. Simply talking to the players (and Hype moments) are exempt.

5. Gentleman's Clause: Any change to the rules is permitted if agreed upon by both players, except for the 8 minute time limit.

6. Textures are Cool Clause: We're usually pretty lenient with textures/custom music. You're welcome to bring your set up to the tournament with them, but please do not have any disruptive music, hard to see textures, or dramatically altered character models. If you have a problem with the set up you're playing on, notify the TO and we'll get it resolved ASAP.

Mario Party 2 Ruleset

1. 16 entrant cap. There will be four qualifying rounds on day one with four players each, the winners of which will move to the final round on day 2.

2. In the qualifying rounds, each player can ban one board from the five starting maps (note: bowser land is not a selection), or the players may simply agree to a board. Final round will be played on bowser land.

3. Games are set to 20 turns, with bonus stars TURNED ON. Automatic saving is encouraged to be turned on, since n64s are kind of unreliable.

4. Stalling Clause: There are a handful of minigames that have no time limit (chance time, hot rope jump, etc.), so there is technically potential for stalling. If any minigame lasts too long, any player can call a TO to start a 1 minute clock for the game. When the clock is up, there will either be an intentional draw or a random input to determine the winner, depending on the game. Really, just don't be that asshole who sits there for five minutes trying to time chance time perfectly.

5. The Superstar at the end will be the winner!

Payouts
Singles:
(Normal pot plus $50+ Pot Bonus, plus $50 Bonus for highest OOS placer)
40 or more entrants
1st=45% ($100 extra if this isn't sethlon, $200 for OOS and not sethlon)
2nd=22.5%
3rd=12%
4th=8%
5th(x2)=2.5%

Current pot bonus is projected to be $50, but this will likely increase

Less than 40 Entrants
1st=45%
2nd=25%
3rd=12.5%
4th=10%

Doubles:
20 or more Teams
1st=45%
2nd=25%
3rd=14%
4th=8%
5th (x2) = 4%

Less than 20 Teams
1st=50%
2nd=25%
3rd=15%
4th=10%

Amateur Bracket
1st -5% of normal pot
2nd- 2.5% of normal pot

Mario Party 2
1st -70%
2nd- 30%

Schedule
Be at the venue at noon, since thats when it opens! I run a tight ship, so don't expect much sympathy if you're late or too busy messing around to get there on time.
Day One:
12:00- Signups Start
1:30- Doubles Pools Start (if necessary)
3:00- Singles Pools Start

5:00- Food Break
6:00- Doubles Bracket Starts
7:00- Amateur Bracket Starts
8:00- Singles Bracket Starts
10:00- Exhibition Matches/Mario Party Round 1

Day Two:
12:00- Venue Opens
12:30- Doubles Bracket top 8

2:00- AM bracket top 8
3:00- Mario Party Finals
4:00- Singles Bracket Top 8

Mario Party Finals

Venue
Address: 201 N Barton St, Grapevine, TX 76051
Phone (817) 416-2595
Very spacious venue. The last time this was used for a tournament, there was a 40+ man melee tournament running alongside a large Brawl event. This time we will have the whole venue for ourselves, as well as two full days to run the tournament.

Setups
Bring Setups!!!! We have so many PM players in Texas that there should be zero problems with setups. Post if you have a setup here so I can start a list and confirm you for the discount. If we don't have enough setups, this'll be a long ass tournament.
Oracle- One full setup
Problemo- One full setup.
Xeven- One Full Setup
Zachattack- One Full Setup
Hamyojo- One Full Setup

Darkgun- One Full Setup
Exhibition Matches
We've got some hype exhibition matches planned to be streamed, but these are TBD. Stay tuned!

Recording/Streaming
We will have at least one stream available, possibly two. Sethlon also has a non streaming recording equipment. Streams will be located at twitch.tv/oracletx and or twitch.tv/tkxhotsauce. Videos will be uploaded to youtube.com/sethlon and youtube.com/zoushu. Make sure you subscribe to stay updated!

Housing
There is plenty of free housing throughout the Dallas Ft Worth metroplex. Mostly floor space so bring a sleeping bag/blanket. Contacts:
Oracle- 214-914-2134
Sethlon- 832-482-5588
Infinity- 817-210-7311

Oracle

Smash Master
7/9- DOUBLE UPDATE:

1. Pre registration is up! Use this link to enter your information.
I'm not taking money at this time, but the tournament will still go much much muuuuuuuch smoother if you enter in everything now, so I don't have to spend time on the day of entering a ton of pool data and whatnot. If you're thinking that you will attend, pre registration is a must

2. THE OCHO CHALLENGE
"The Ocho" also known as the DFW path to manhood, is when in a teams match, you take all the stocks off of both your opponents, netting you 8 total kills. Achieving The Ocho is a legendary accomplishment, and will make you a god among mere video game nerds. If you go up to any woman in Dallas and whisper into her ear "I have procured The Ocho", she will be yours forever.

Anyone who earns The Ocho at Low Tier City will be rewarded a prize worthy of such an accomplishment: free homemade cookies courtesy of yours truly. I'm a versatile baker and will prepare many flavors to choose from, so make sure you're the first one to get the Ocho so you get your first choice!

7/7 UPDATE- Rat, Fly Amanita, and Arizona all confirmed!
With Arizona and Fly coming, there are going to be more than five regions represented at the tournament! Get hype!

6/19 UPDATE- REFLEX AND STRONG BAD CONFIRMED
Strong Bad and Reflex are definitely coming to this event! This means its time to unveil the 1st exhibition match:

Strong Bad (DK) vs Oracle (GW): The Salty Runback

For some context, the last time I played Strong Bad was at Sakurai Can't Save You Now 5, my first OOS tournament. In losers semis, which was best 3/5, I absolutely wrecked him first two games, like buttdevastated. He took a break to go get some water/cry in the bathroom (IDK I didn't follow him) so i decided to talk with oro, when he said "No character in this game is bad, except game and watch." I foolishly took this as a challenged and decided to try and prove how good gw was by beating Strong Bad with him, even though my game and watch is not nearly as good as my Rob. I performed valiantly (even getting a 9!), but it just wasn't enough, and SB took the set. Now, having received training from the legendary Dakpo Sensei high atop the 29 Mountains of Bacon, it's time for me to redeem myself.

6/11 UPDATE- $200 BOUNTY ON SETHLON'S HEAD
i'm gonna make this, but i have prior commitments saturday night, so i won't be free then.

however, i'm totally upping the ante: if someone besides sethlon gets first place, i'm throwing an extra $100 to their prize. beyond that, if said person isn't from the dfw area, they get ANOTHER $100.

so, if you're not from dfw, and you get first, you get another $200 on top of whatever you would win.

but, i ain't even worried.

shots fired. come take my money.

6/10 UPDATE- MARIO PARTY RULESET FINALIZED AND POT BONUS ANNOUNCEMENT
The game for the side event has been set for Mario Party 2 (SUCK IT STEVE). OP has the final ruleset, comment if you find any problems. In addition, the trailer has been released!

As of today, the pot bonus goal of $100 has been met! That means that at the future dfw tournaments, all money raised will increase the size of the pot bonus! I will post here with updates.

5/28 UPDATE- 1ST SIDE EVENT ANNOUNCED-MARIO PARTY
As we all know, mario party 64 is the most competitive game in existence, but there are no tournaments for some reason. Now we will know who the TRUE SUPER STAR is! Or you can just watch people get salty, either one works.

Format will be 16 entrant cap with 4 20 round games run on the Day 1t. Winner advances to the final round on Day 2.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hmm...

If I can't end up going to the thing in Kansas, maybe this will be doable.

D

Deleted member

Might go to this, its only 30 minutes away. I might get housing though because its 2 days so I don't get 4 rides from my parents.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Not me. However, seeing as this is the weekend of my 30th(literally, my birthday is that Monday) I should squeek by and go.

Sergio, mind if I hitch a ride with you if I give you gas money?

Oracle

Smash Master
It looks like you can bus into KC MO, which isn't too far from Hylian and SB. You could feasibly bus down there and drive with them

COUGH COUGH HINT HINT

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll see how ****ing broke I am after EVO, but it's not looking likely. Jordan is willing to drive for tourneys, but IDK about 30 hours of driving within a month.

D

Deleted member

hamyojo and I will probably ride here. Still working it out though. I think I can take 1st in amateur bracket.

Oracle

Smash Master
I disagree but that seems to be the prevailing opinion haha. Ill close the polls in a few days.

Remember to rsvp with the thread tool!

D

Deleted member

My current CRT got a 2 inch scratch in the middle of it, should I still bring it? I know I'll bring my recording stuff.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I'm considering going if I can catch a flight. It'd also be much more likely if someone would be willing to house me and pick me up from the airport.

Oracle

Smash Master
I'm considering going if I can catch a flight. It'd also be much more likely if someone would be willing to house me and pick me up from the airport.
Done; I have space and live right by the airport. Anybody else from AZ coming?

cough cough axe cough cough

Burnsy

Smash Lord
If I end up going and there is space on the flight for one more, I might be able to convince someone to accompany me.

Oracle

Smash Master
I would suggest you guys drive to get more people, but it is a pretty good ways so w/e. Just let me know when I need to get you from the airport

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
oro gimme a ride pls (can bus to st. louis or chicago first)

D

Deleted member

**** you Xeven, 2 is dabess
How the hell are we doing mario party? what would the bracket be like?

Oracle

Smash Master
16 entrant cap, random seeding into 4 separate 20 turn games, winner advances to final round

Keys

Smash Cadet
I'll be at this. Might can house 2 people or so as well. Can also stream if needed. Just let me know Seth/Oracle.

D

Deleted member

Oracle is trying to do his own stream. If he wasn't, I'd stream.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sweet, I'd like to come to this. Only live 14 mins away, so this will be no problem to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom