• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low GSP Alts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Curious as to what you guys experience on your low GSP alts while playing online. I'm talking like alts in the dumpster, below 500k, while you have mains at or near elite. I've been grinding a low GSP character lately just to get better at it, and it raises a lot of questions as to wtf is going on.

My experience
-Rarely get items or weird rule sets even at low gsp
-No noticeable difference in connection quality on average
-Occasionally get potato players but not any more often than other rankings
-Opponents don't feel any different than running games on my mains
-Barely gained any ranking for beating players over 3 mil in comparison to beating another low ranked player

In summary, when I play low GSP alts, I can barely tell the difference between playing at any GSP up until elite smash. Opponents seem to be quite competent. For example, I got parried 6 times in one round last night, and not like accidental parries. These were parries into punish from a 150k gsp Lucina... I would not think any thing of it if i ran into the same player at 3.4 mil.

My theory
-Players with higher GSP mains are somehow segregated even when playing low GSP characters. In other words, the game prefers to match me into players of similar skill also doing badly on their alts
-The above causes a downward vacuum when you play alts that you are bad at. Like rather than dropping and stabilizing, the match making will keep your win rate below 50% until you directly improve (as opposed to down ranking and going 50% against worse players)

What have you guys seen on your low GSP characters?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I haven’t been below 1 million with any character for a while, but my Mii Brawler is in the dumpster as my lowest GSP character. I don’t do well with it.

I have seen a lot of 2 stock, 5:00, Omega preferred rules with people who teabag a lot. That’s about it, rarely get items or crazy stages.

KatKit

Smash Lord
All of my hardest matchups have been with a character who's GSP is higher than characters I've never used, but lower than my mains/secondaries who are all in Elite Smash. For whatever reason, when I pick that character, they make me seriously earn every victory. I get matched up against players who probably play professionally. The difference between my GSP and theirs is huge, but I still have to fight them anyway almost every time. Occasionally I'll run into someone with a noticeably low GSP who's an absolute beast. Maybe they just got the game, or they're smurfing, or they prefer Arena battles, or they improved after a bunch of losses, IDK. But it's never easy. That's interesting, and it goes to show that GSP means little in the grand scheme of things.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
All of my hardest matchups have been with a character who's GSP is higher than characters I've never used, but lower than my mains/secondaries who are all in Elite Smash. For whatever reason, when I pick that character, they make me seriously earn every victory. I get matched up against players who probably play professionally. The difference between my GSP and theirs is huge, but I still have to fight them anyway almost every time. Occasionally I'll run into someone with a noticeably low GSP who's an absolute beast. Maybe they just got the game, or they're smurfing, or they prefer Arena battles, or they improved after a bunch of losses, IDK. But it's never easy. That's interesting, and it goes to show that GSP means little in the grand scheme of things.
I think a good portion of the "good" low GSP players just ate a few losses because they just took the character online for the first time. That'll sink you very quickly below 1M. And while its all relative (skill), I'm just seeing things that I know are hallmark of a competent player. Like I ran into a wolf somewhere around 200k that could b reverse his laser, and knew how to SHFF his aerials with spacing. You don't see noobs spacing falling SHFF aerials. They just mechanically can't do it... This is also in addition to just clearly being at least a somewhat cerebral player. Like I'm entirely mediocre, but I have control of my character and I participate in the mental and strategical part of the game. When i see other players doing this at low GSP, it makes me wonder where the millions of inexperienced players that just play offensive jank are at. Maybe they just dont play online because they can't land a single win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom