• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louisville KY s2d tournament a few times a monthly. 08/29/09

wangston

Smash Lord

So apparently Louisville does have smashing scene, just one that flys under the radar. Something2Do has a weekly tournament. They have it advertised on allisbrawl and I just happen to stumble across it. So KY smashers and nearby IN smashers Something2Do in the Oxmoor mall is having a weekly tournament. If you're new you're more than welcome to play and throw down with the rest of us. Please come out every week and support the local smash scene. We have been averaging 26+ players all summer, the smash scene in Louisville is looking strong. But now that school has started and people have gone to college the average turnout is looking to be around 20 give or take a few on some weeks.
address and info

IMPORTANT THE NEW START TIME IS 12:00
NOW A WEEKLY SATURDAY TOURNAMENT

Starts at 12:00pm
Ends around 5:00pm
Come early if you would like
Regestration is 5$
Top 4 players get prize money (amount varies on participants)

7900 Shelbyville Road
Oxmoor Mall
Louisville, KY 40222

502-425-5257

Something2Do is located on the second floor of the Oxmoor Mall near the food court.

The start time is 12:00pm you can show up to register as early as 10:00 which is when it opens and other people also show up that early so you can play friendlies. The last tournament lasted 4.5 hours or so but there were breaks between most matches so it was very leisurely passed. Also it is $5 to register. Bring your own controller, though there are a few GC provided. Bring your own especially if you use anything other than the GC.

RULES

3 stock, best of 3.
8 minute time limit
items off.
Double elimination.

Neutrals

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat

Counterpicks

Halberd
Delphino
Luigi's Mansion
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat
Pokemon stadium 1
Pokemon stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Pirate Ship
Jungle Japes
Norfair

Show up early for friendlies:bee:

If you have any questions just ask and I will try to answer them the best I can.

PS No Johns please.

we have chat now!!! http://xat.com/alaarcana come chat.

wangston

Smash Lord
Yeah every other Saturday and the next one is the 28th. The 14th was the first one I went to and only 14 people showed up, I thought there would be more considering the previous week w00tz had 35 people show up to their tournament. Also they have 3 set ups, last week it was over by 4:30 with 14 and only 2 set ups and there were breaks in between matches when people just played FFA. If your worried about the skill level don't be because there no Kens or anyone with god like skills present and most people were really evenly matched, games went right down to the wire, so show up and and have a good time. It's double elimination so you get at least 4 games in if you lose everyone of them. Plus it's a five dollar fee so it's no big deal.

Gorgapor

Smash Rookie
I'll probably be there. Stupid that you have to have only one character though. Maybe collectively we can convince the management to change it?

wangston

Smash Lord
Gorgapor I bet you know some more smashers in this area so please spread the word. I really want this tournament to turn into something big.

TonyTH07

Smash Cadet
I have two friends that play, but not competitively. I'm the only guy I know who plays competitively around all my friends.

So, any Sonic's there? What was the most used character?

wangston

Smash Lord
Characters used last time were

ROB
D3
2 as Ness
2 as Lucas
Falco
GW
Kirby
Random
Lucario which one it all
Snake

I know there were 14 people playing but that those are all the characters I remember.

wangston

Smash Lord
I like the way the tournament is shaping up. Things are looking good and it looks like this time we will have a big turn out and some good people there to play this time around.

Noveno

Smash Rookie
I've never done a tournament before for anything, but this is close by so I figure I'll give it a shot...

Few questions though,
What time does it start? (And is there a time frame on when it'd end?)
Is there an entry fee?

And this is probably a stupid question, but we do bring our own controllers, right?

wangston

Smash Lord
Noveno, I'm sorry I forgot to put the start time and the fee in the first message. I'm embarrassed. Please forgive me. It starts at 1:00 so show up earlier than that to register. It's $5 a person. Also last time it ended a little before 5:00pm but it will vary depending on how many people show up. Also last week they had 2 set ups, this time they are going to have all 3 set up so things will move faster.

wangston

Smash Lord
You can show up at 1:00 if you like to register but I get there at 12:30 to play some friendlies. So I would suggest 12:30 because thats when my friends and I will all be there. There are usually people there before 12:30 so if you would like to show up before then thats fine.

TonyTH07

Smash Cadet
People should put a name tags on their shirts from their names here or something.

That place got wifi? I can bring my laptop and just look that way too.

Noveno

Smash Rookie
Noveno, I'm sorry I forgot to put the start time and the fee in the first message. I'm embarrassed. Please forgive me. It starts at 1:00 so show up earlier than that to register. It's $5 a person. Also last time it ended a little before 5:00pm but it will vary depending on how many people show up. Also last week they had 2 set ups, this time they are going to have all 3 set up so things will move faster.
No need to be embarrassed. We all forget things. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be there.

Sorry to repeat myself, but do we bring our own controllers? I use a classic controller instead of the GC like most people do so I figure I'd ask...

wangston

Smash Lord
Yeah bring your own controller especially if it's a classic. Last time there were some GC there but idk if those were provided or not. I brought my own GC so I suggest you bring your own to be safe.

We should a sort of meet and greet while were there. I'm go with my group of friends and we just talk to each other but I'm willing to meet the other people. Also I would hate for some one to go by themselves and not know anyone and sit there all alone so if you want your more than welcome to hang out with us. Also putting names with faces would be good. I already now Gorgapor(Christian) and he is a cool guy, but aren't we all cool cause we play smash.

Strate

Smash Rookie
I think I might be in NKY this weekend for the 4th...so might have to wait for the next one! Bleh!

I did my first tourney last weekend at Dink's Cafe in Lexington and came in 3rd out of 20ish. I got the 2nd place guy down to his last stock with 150% damage and had a big brain fart. Maybe next time.

wangston

Smash Lord
This weekend is the 28th. The 4th of july is so far away, like 6 days. NKY can wait. Smash is the only thing that matters.

Noveno

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the heads up wangston.

I don't know if you saw me, but I was the red G&W. Didn't do extremely well, but was fun nonetheless.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I won da tourny. Good games all.
Seriously. You destroy with snake. I was like "OMG! Not Jiano!" when I found out that the first match was you xD.
I'm happy with second place though.

P.S. I was the lone peach player.

wangston

Smash Lord
P.S. I was the lone peach player.
And thats the wait it will always be until people realize that Peach can ****. You just proved to all 39 people there that Peach is a serious character, my hat goes off to you. At first my friends and I were like "LOL Peach, is he trying to lose." But then we all fought you and lost. I would have never though it a million years to float at the height of there head it's the perfect spot for peach to be, own with dair and fair. When ever I play peach I just float above the ground, thats why I suck with her. DraikRoan I have a new found respect for Peach, bravo sir, bravo.

Jiano thanks for owning everyone and showing us that snake is indeed a **** machine. I would have asked you to play me in a friendly but I had to go and you just won I figured you didn't feel like playing anymore. Next tourney you should pull out Falcon, sure he isn't to great in Brawl but you should give us a chance. How many games did you lose, I know you didn't lose a match but I think you lost a few games.

wangston

Smash Lord
Also I want to thank everyone for coming and making this week there biggest turn out yet(if I'm not mistaken) Please come back and play again. If you didn't come this week come next, it's a fun tournament to play in and the atmosphere is great, smashers every where it doesn't get much better than that. In case you're wondering what the results are they are as follows

1st Daniel: Jiano - Snake $100
2nd Mario: Rowan/DraikRoan - Peach $30
3rd Taylor: wangston - Falco $15
4th Tactical (not sure if he is on the boards or not) - Lucario $5?

Those were the top players and characters. In the tourney there were the following characters
Snake(4), Peach(1), Meta Knight(2), Lucario(1), Falco(3), Lucas(1), Pit(4), Marth(3), Wolf(4), Zelda(1), G & W(2), Sonic(2), Yoshi(1), Kirby (2), Toon Link(2) Random(2). I relize those numbers on 39 but those are all the people I can remember.

I know Jiano lost one game to another Snake(grayson), and I think he might have lost one to Tactical.

Also I want to give a shout out to anderson YOU ROCK ANDERSON!!!! w00t.

Popoi

Smash Rookie
Those were the top players and characters. In the tourney there were the following characters
Snake(4), Peach(1), Meta Knight(1), Lucario(1), Falco(2), Lucas(1), Pit(4), Marth(3), Wolf(4), Zelda(1), G & W(2), Sonic(2), Yoshi(1), Kirby (2), Random(2). I relize those numbers on 39 but those are all the people I can remember.
There were at least two MKs running around, because I was the bad one.

Pretty good tournament other than a few small details. It was pretty funny that in the 4th roud both of the guys I came with who were still in ended up matched up, and I was matched up against the only other guy I knew there.

Overall good fun, and well worth the money.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
Can I see a list of people that are going or could you give me some names that I might recognize? Or maybe roughly how many people you think may come to this? Interest is being sparked.

wangston

Smash Lord
There were 39 people last time, before that there were 14. But 39 were there because I promoted the tournament everywhere I could. So I'm thinking next time there will be 30+ people there. Everyone I talked to really enjoyed the tournament and can hardly wait for the next one.

TonyTH07

Smash Cadet
There still not doing weekly, are they? Didn't that guy say Something2do had a website too?

I was the other Sonic, didn't win a single match, friendly or tourny. I'm been working on my Mario Bros, so hopefully I can make some progress next time. Had a very fun time, losing a lot or not.

And yeah, never seen such an awesome Peach. The Lucario guy was pretty incredible too. It was worth 5 bucks, just for the show.

Hope I can do better next time, I'm sure I seemed like a joke. I look forward to fighting with you all again. And I really hope we can switch characters next time as well.

Beelzebozo

Smash Rookie
There were at least two MKs running around, because I was the bad one.

Pretty good tournament other than a few small details. It was pretty funny that in the 4th roud both of the guys I came with who were still in ended up matched up, and I was matched up against the only other guy I knew there.

Overall good fun, and well worth the money.
Yeah, I lost to the other MetaKnight. He was pretty decent. Wangston also forgot to mention there were two of us using Toon Link; not that either of us put up much of a fight. I remain undeterred though. Yeah, that was a fun event, and I think I will go to the next one now that they are revising the structure to make it move faster.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
39, nice :D If there are about that many expected on the 12th, I just may show my *** down there. It'll be nice to finally meet Jiano and also play against a lot of new players.

How many hours will the event last?

EDIT: So about 6 hours or so. I (or we) can get there at about 10AM if that's alright.

Top Bottom