• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing Second Jump

B33b3

Smash Rookie
So I have this happen a lot, I thought I knew the general mechanics for losing your second jump but it just seems to happen far more often and at random times in this game. The amount of times I've chased off ledges only to find I didn't have a second jump is too damn high. I've always been very sure to jump off the ledge, no run off then jump, and to only jump once. I used to do this decently often in past smash games with no issues but I just lose my second jump too often in this game, and it seems to happen to the friends I play with locally as well. So do some attacks eat your second jump? Is the pro controller that buggy for inputs? I'm not really sure, but it causes me to lose stocks quite a lot.

L337m0j0

Smash Cadet
I am always aware of the state of my jumps in this game. Sorry to say but your 2nd jump will never disappear on its own, EVER.

Sometimes you may jump just as you get hit which will result in you losing your jump, I do this sometimes but very very rarely.

Best I can say is keep practicing and maybe remove the 'tap up to jump' feature.

Good luck!

EDIT: I also use the pro controller. Wii adapter all sold out where i am :(

Last edited:

B33b3

Smash Rookie
I have tap to jump turned off. I pay attention to my jumps and how many I have, but many times the second jump just doesn't come out and I die. I've never had this issue until this game, which leads me to believe it's faulty controllers. Which shouldn't be the case because I use a brand new Pro Controller and Gamepad, but it happens with both.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I'm feelin' you brother, but I have to agree with the man above you. It happens to me all the time even though I watch my jumps. Sometimes your first jump off the stage is actually an air jump right as you step off. I would just suggest practice, that's how I'm hoping to solve the problem.

D

Deleted member 269706

I know what the OP is referring to. If you go into training mode and run right off the ledge, you will have 1 jump remaining while in the air (and then a recovery of course). If you jump before you get to the end of the ledge, you will also have 1 jump remaining. Makes sense so far, right? Now, here's where it gets weird: For some really stupid reason, if you jump on the VERY end of the ledge, you will not have a second jump anymore, which is what the OP is referring to. I've noticed this in the past, and I think I've figured it out: When you jump off the VERY end of the ledge, the game already thinks that you're already off the ledge; in it's data, you're already airborne, even though visually it seems like the player hasn't left the stage just yet. So technically, when the player is running and reaches the ledge, they lose their first jump. I figured this out while playing the 3DS version of the game, so I can assure you, it's not faulty controller design, it's how the game is programmed. You're just gonna have to get in the habit of jumping a little sooner, or get comfortable running off the stage.

B33b3

Smash Rookie
I know about that, I actually jump off ledges a pretty decent distance from the actual ledge. I sprint off the ledge, with about a ledge roll's distance from it. I might still be too close at times, not sure. Which doesn't quite explain times I get knocked off the stage and then lack a second jump, which although rare, has happened in every smash game I've played, and every person I have played with. The reason why I think it's controller malfunction is because there are times when I input commands and my character will stand there and do nothing, I'm not stunned, I didn't get hit, I'm in a neutral position and try to do a tilt or smash and nothing happens, or I'll attempt to go into a quick dash and then into dash attack very quickly and my character will just stand there. Again, rare occurrence but not as rare as I would like it to be. Likewise there are times when I use UpB and it register the input until spamming it several times and already too low for it to matter even though I wasn't stunned. My personal favorite is when I hit UpB, control stick straight up and then my character does a sideB, or I flick the C-stick to the left or right and it does a NAir which happens every other time I try to do a fair or bair. This game is full of input errors, and since I don't have access to using GCube controller I can't trouble shoot it to say, oh it's the controller or the game itself. Again, this happens with both the pro controller and the gamepad. I know very well the issues you guess are talking about, and there are little things that happen in which I know my second jump was already used so I didn't have it, but there are times when I very much should have it and I don't. It's very frustrating when it costs me a game and I have no idea why it happened to begin with.

L337m0j0

Smash Cadet
The game is not 'filled with input errors' you are simply not inputting it correctly or at the wrong times.

I have never once had the game not work

'The reason why I think it's controller malfunction is because there are times when I input commands and my character will stand there and do nothing'

Ummmm when I press a button my character reacts and does not stand and do nothing. Do you drop your controllers constantly? If the buttons don't work while you are standing still your controller is broken.

Last edited:

L337m0j0

Smash Cadet
Also, you mention that you had this issue in past smash games just not as bad.

The fact you had this issue in past games just means you are carrying over bad habits from the old games.

I never had this issue with past games, maybe only when I first started playing smash 64 when i was 10?

Just practice and even watch your replays to see what your doing wrong.

Last edited:

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
I know what the OP is referring to. If you go into training mode and run right off the ledge, you will have 1 jump remaining while in the air (and then a recovery of course). If you jump before you get to the end of the ledge, you will also have 1 jump remaining. Makes sense so far, right? Now, here's where it gets weird: For some really stupid reason, if you jump on the VERY end of the ledge, you will not have a second jump anymore, which is what the OP is referring to. I've noticed this in the past, and I think I've figured it out: When you jump off the VERY end of the ledge, the game already thinks that you're already off the ledge; in it's data, you're already airborne, even though visually it seems like the player hasn't left the stage just yet. So technically, when the player is running and reaches the ledge, they lose their first jump. I figured this out while playing the 3DS version of the game, so I can assure you, it's not faulty controller design, it's how the game is programmed. You're just gonna have to get in the habit of jumping a little sooner, or get comfortable running off the stage.
This explains why using Din's Fire at the edge of the stage makes me fall off and die.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
I've never had the issue of losing second jump after running or jumping off the ledge, but I have had a problem where I get launched by an opponent off the stage, and then can't use my double jump to get out of the falling animation, leading to a lot of deaths. Anyone know what this is? I've had this happen every once in a while in every smash game, not just 4.

Shulkamania

Smash Rookie
NNID
thatguy13
I have the adapter and GC controller (from bundle) and there have been times that I used the C-stick for attack/tilts and when I flick the C-stick my tilts occasionally do not come out. It's not often but it is very frustrating to experience.

Caveman777

Smash Rookie
You're not crazy and you are not missing inputting. I have this same issue playing Terry. I have found the using Terry's neutral, down, and side special will inconsistently eat his jumps. I also found a clip of this happening to pro player riddles on live stream. Start the video at 18:30 and watch at 1/4 playback speed. You can see clearly that he doesn't use his second jump, and when he does go to use it, it's gone. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/903845597

Top Bottom