• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for potential secondary's

QuinnLaskowski5

Smash Rookie
I currently main Marth and am new to sm4sh but not the franchise looking for a secondary for my Marth cause a good capt falcon just wrecks me and I can't do much lookin for ideas ?

IAmHorse

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-3124-0028
Honestly man, theres not much we can do if you're asking for characters that play similar to Marth. Things do really work like that. You just need to take an hour or two and play all the characters until you find who clicks with you. I know it sounds tedious, but it works. I, for example, play a very in-your-face Marth but i started to dual main ROB a few months back; two pretty different characters. On the other hand, i tried to play Lucina the other day and it didn't feel right, so i didn't mess with her for long.

Now, if you're looking for just overall good characters who can cover for Marth's weaknesses, i would suggest going for either a character with good projectile game like Toon Link or Pit, or go for rush-downs like Zero Suit and Falcon himself. Or just go and play Sheik :p

Honestly though, i really think you should take your time and explore the characters the game has to offer. You might even end up picking up more than one secondary.

Last edited:

QuinnLaskowski5

Smash Rookie
Yea thanks man I kinda found a couple characters I like playing and cover his weakness of fast paced charcter I like greninja and shiek although I'm not a good shiek I'm progressively getting better lol but I kinda picked up corrin as well I can't really remember if I played a falcon with her but I'm really liking her so far

IAmHorse

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-3124-0028
Yea thanks man I kinda found a couple characters I like playing and cover his weakness of fast paced charcter I like greninja and shiek although I'm not a good shiek I'm progressively getting better lol but I kinda picked up corrin as well I can't really remember if I played a falcon with her but I'm really liking her so far
Great to know, man. I myself play corrin when im playing friendlies with my friend, and she is so much fun! Glad to know i helped you.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Not that I use him, but I feel that Diddy would work, especially for Falcon. Falcon likes to start off his combos and approaches with notably, a Dash Grab. Diddy having a Banana out on the field can outright force Falcon to change his tactics, which you can capitalise on. He also does pretty well against other characters that can give Marth trouble.

Mario is also a pretty decent choice. He has a projectile in Fireball that can give Falcon some trouble approaching if you do Full Hop Fireball, or even do that retreating. Mario combo's Falcon really well, and easily (Uthrow to Dair, and the famed Dthrow into Utilt/Uair etc). Mario is also very hard to punish, due to having good overall speed and low lag approach options (Bair and Nair are very hard to punish). Mario's Nair also comes out on frame 3, meaning it can sometimes break you out of some of Falcon's aerial combos.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
I play both characters and I don't think the matchup is bad for Marth at all. But if you're looking for someone to counter Captain Falcon specifically:

• Pikachu is one of his hardest matchups due to how tiny he is and how hard he edgeguards Falcon
  • Ryu bodies Falcon very hard for many reasons, one of which is how easy it is to chain utilts on him
  • Shiek does well against Falcon, don't think I need to explain this one
  • Mario destroys Falcon. Kindergarten combo, nair, cape, fireballs, and FLUDD are all very effective against Falcon.
  • I feel like Toon Link should do well against Falcon too due to being small and having tons of projectiles, but I haven't played against enough good ones to say for sure.

Top Bottom