• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for Koo-pa details

NWA Villan

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am NWA Villan, an Arkansas Bowser. I've been doing well, but one thing that noticeably holds me back is the koo-pah percents. I have done a lot of digging in the forums, and I have found a lot of great tips, and most notably, KingKong's Koo-pa percents. This is helpful, but there is a lot more to the move. I would really really appreciate information on the following:

How does rage affect the Koo-pa percents?

How does DI affect the koo-pah percents?

How do I do the Koo-pa? (That might give you the impression that I'm a noob, but nah I do great it's just that there's times when statistically I should have a confirm, and maybe the way I jump or the way I move messes it up)

When is the Koo-pa first airdodgeable?

If you have any answers I'd love to learn. Also, just as a smashboards noob I think it would be cool to get a sticky dedicated to the combo, as it's such a key part of playing bowser. But, what do I know. Thanks for your help.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Rage:
From Discord user, Event51: "... in the back of your head, you should be looking at your opponent's percent and subtracting 3.5% for every 25% that Bowser has over 50%"

DI on UThrow:
DI up and down does nothing, only left and right. The kill% does not change from left to right DI since they cannot move far during the hit stun. All it does is create a situation where you can fumble.

On Timing:
Be sure to note when characters tuck themselves in with their launch animation. This influences how early you should be using rising UAir. Double jump greatly affects your timing, and is the #1 cause of fumbles. Practice double jump timing at the % you think will require it.

Air Dodging out of hit stun:
The % listed where the kill confirm ends is when they can air dodge out. You will always be able to air dodge out of hit stun earlier than you can jump or input attacks. This is included in the testing process.

Last edited:

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure DI up actually does work. In the Bowser ditto it's actually really good at minimizing the window where up air works.

NWA Villan

Smash Rookie
Air Dodging out of hit stun:
The % listed where the kill confirm ends is when they can air dodge out. You will always be able to air dodge out of hit stun earlier than you can jump or input attacks. This is included in the testing process.
Hey thanks so much, Ill practice my double jumps specifically, and start to keep that rage in mind. Now as to the listed % where the confirm ends, is that on KingKong's spreadsheet? Because the way I was reading it, it only told starting percents. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But thanks so much for the info, it's a huge help I can't tell you how much this will change my results.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
For the upper ends of the UThrow kill confirm, try using this spreadsheet by 1PokeMaster.

Also, Event51 supplemented his explanation on rage UThrow today:
"A better rule of thumb is to know that at about 80% it's 10% less, and at 150% it's 20% less"

Last edited:
Top Bottom