• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement Looking for judges for an upcoming stage contest.

D

Deleted member

You may or may not be aware. But a couple of years back another user who used to be on Smashboards did a stage contest for stages that could have been in the (at the time unreleased) Smash Bros. games on Wii U and 3DS. In the contest she would have various rounds with each one consisting of a category for stages to fall under. People would submit their entries within a time frame and from there a series of judges would award points with the stage that got the most points being the winner. Here's a link in case you're interested
And with the rumors and possibilities of a Deluxe Port of that game coming to the Switch I decided I'd like to try to do a contest like that for the idea of the port as well.

The only problem I'm really facing with it right now is finding judges. I'll obviously be a judge. And I tried to get some Smash fans on some discord groups I'm a part to see if they'd be interested as well. But only one of them was. That being the current 2nd judge who goes by the username of PROmape.

But I was hoping to have 5 judges in total so I'm still 3 short. If anyone is interested in being a judge let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Just be aware of some guidelines to keep in mind:

1. The Stages will be scored based on 3 categories. Those being:
- Iconic Status (1 to 5 points): How impactful the location is to it's source game.
- Originality (1 to 10 points): The unique elements the stage could have
- Playability (1 to 10 points): Based on whether the stage is fun to fight on like, say, Gerudo Valley. Or annoying to fight on like, say, Orbital Gate Assault

If you feel like you can be a decent judge of those kinds of things than you're welcome to try. If not, sorry but I'll have to seek someone else.

2. When a round is over people will need to be able to get their grades in sooner rather than later. I won't hinder anyone who may need a few days or a week or so to figure it out or just have the time to do it but if you're someone who's schedule is so busy that it could potentially take you about a month to get your grades in then I'll need to bring in someone else.

3. I'm capping it at 5 judges including myself. So I'll likely need to deny some people if I get too many requests. There won't be any malice behind it so I hope no one will take it personally if it happens. But I feel that having too many judges would make things too complicated. I may be convinced to have a little bit more than 5 if someone can give me a good enough reason as to why they think that should be the case. But I'd like to keep the amount of judges in the single digits.

If none of that is a problem then go ahead and ask to be a judge. I want to get started on this contest sooner as opposed to later so I'll probably be deciding the judges tonight unless this thread needs more than one day to get enough activity.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If you can't fill all of the slots, I will volunteer. But don't hold a spot open for me in lieu of choosing someone else.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd like to be a judge, but I'd also like to be a contestant :p

I loved using the stage builder in Smash Wii U AND Brawl

In both games, I made a stage to tie in with each playable character

But in the end, I'd rather be a judge I think

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd like to be a judge, but I'd also like to be a contestant :p

I loved using the stage builder in Smash Wii U AND Brawl

In both games, I made a stage to tie in with each playable character

But in the end, I'd rather be a judge I think
Noted. With me, you, and PROmape in the picture now we have a total of 3 judges (4 if Cyndane ends up helping out). But if you change your mind for any reason and decide to be a contestant instead just let me know.

D

Deleted member

I think I could be a judge for this.
Sweet. I'll put you down then. So that's 4 judges now. 5 if we count Cyndane. But I think I'll give this a little more time for people to ask to be a judge before I close it off. Thinking I might finalize everything somewhere between 4-5pm Pacific Time on January 28th.

D

Deleted member

I'd be up for it.
Noted. That brings us to 5 total for sure. Hm. I know I said I'd wait till tomorrow to close this off. But we're at the point now where I'd have to exclude people if someone else wanted to judge. I'll need a bit to make a decision here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Seems like I'm late to the party.

Well, if someone can't be a judge for whatever reason, I wouldn't mind being their understudy. I used to upload a bunch of custom stages on Miiverse, and they all seemed to be well-received for the most part. Quite a few of them even managed to make it to the top of the popular posts. I know from experience that making complex and enjoyable stages can be difficult due to the limitations put in Stage Builder. At the very least, I'll be able to tell how much effort went into each stage.

D

Deleted member

AHHHHHH!!!!! I have missed this so much!

I can't judge, I gotta be a constant contestant

@TheMarioaddict we might have a return of G L O R Y
I'm glad you left this message. I was under the impression that I didn't need to announce here that the contest has started because I thought people would notice it anyway.

Starting to think I might have been wrong on that. In any case, thanks for showing interest in the contest. Here's the thread for it.
https://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch-stage-creation-contest.452851/

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm glad you left this message. I was under the impression that I didn't need to announce here that the contest has started because I thought people would notice it anyway.

Starting to think I might have been wrong on that. In any case, thanks for showing interest in the contest. Here's the thread for it.
https://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch-stage-creation-contest.452851/
I tend to overlook the pinned threads, I did find it though. I'm writing up mine now. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom