• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for help with movement

moooo

Smash Rookie
hi
i need help with being as fast as possible when playing
any tips?
(i know how to wavedash but i cant find uses for it on captain falcon)

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Speed isn't always the best strategy

Look at the GOAT - Hbox is actually more methodical with his movements, which often takes people by surprise

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
It’s more important to have clean inputs than to simply be “fast”.

moooo

Smash Rookie
Speed isn't always the best strategy

Look at the GOAT - Hbox is actually more methodical with his movements, which often takes people by surprise
I like hbox but I hate his style of play as it is unfun to play against

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Having techskill is one thing but knowing when to use it is another. If you're good at wavedashing but don't know where to use it, what is the point of knowing how to wavedash? What is the point of being fast if you don't know how to use being fast? Look at your gameplay and find weak points in it. Some of those weak points will be solved by moving fast. Practice moving fast in those situations. Tech skill practice is really useful when starting off.

notrami

Smash Rookie
if you can't find uses for falcon's wavedash maybe you're just not doing the perfect wavedash
you use it for movement mixups, oos, platform movement and techchasing

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
hi
any tips?
Play more against real players and things will start clicking for techniques you've learned but have not been played out of practice.

Wavedashing by itself on CPUs with easy to hit comboes won't help you become more fluid like you'd think.

Also watch players like n0ne.

GhostM

Phantom
hi
any tips?
It’s not all about having fast inputs in Melee. Sure you can wavedash all over the stage quickly but if you don’t use it as a tool to fake out your opponents, but rather focus on it as a movement option,then what’s the point? It’s not all about being fast, as sometimes you have to play passively instead of playing aggressively. I will say that you should practice against real humans rather than bots, as they won’t help you progress your skill further. It’s better to wavedash and do other techniques with a purpose rather than because of speed. If you focus too much on speed, you’ll make more mistakes on your inputs.

TheGreatEchoes

Smash Rookie
Are you maining Falcon? This has probably been said before as this is kind of a late reply but I guess it depends what you mean by speed. You're trying to be unpredictable and as such you want to being playing faster than your opponent can adapt, but I think whether or not that actually means moving quickly depends on your character and playstyle. For example, a character like Puff doesn't really move as fast as other characters but you can still plan your moves faster than your opponent can read you.

I'm a Marth main myself but from what I know some good stuff you can work into your game are dash dancing and tech chasing. As far as actually moving fast and unpredictably dash dancing is a great skill and isn't hard at all to implement. It makes it way harder for your opponent to predict when your grabs will go out. I think I know what you mean about having trouble finding uses for wavedashing. I find most techskill takes a while to actually implement into your playstyle after you learn how to do it. When I first learned how to wavedash it took me a couple months before I actually learned how to use it in real situations. You could try using it to back up away from incoming attacks, or combine it with a ledge hop for an advanced ledge option (ledgedash).

Not sure how new you are to Melee but I hope this helps.

Top Bottom