• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

looking for advice with a vertex edit problem (SOLVED)

microwavewitch

Smash Rookie
to work my way towards more complex brawl editing ive been doing a simple vertex edit of a mod for peach (mostly just replacing a hat and making the body less extreme). for the most part i have the skin working, but for some reason the mesh of RHandN flips 180 during every animation. it results in a weird sort of skeleton hand...

heres what ive determined so far
  • weight painting in blender is fine, everything moves as it should until you get to brawlcrate
  • despite the palm being broken the fingers seem to end up in the right spots for grabs/items/taunts/etc
  • the right arm hangs slightly limper than the left? im assuming this isn't a weird quirk of peach
  • flags on the bone match the original edit and peach "FixedScale, ScaleEqual, Visible, HasGeometry"
  • normalizing the weight painting in blender has made no difference
if anybody knows something i dont id really appreciate advice, tho i dont expect a lot of people to scour the brawl workshop to help newcomers with basic model edit questions. i feel like im missing something obvious?

yours forever and always,
me

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
There's an unknown cause to why the bones get corrupt, although the preset files are mostly working; I believe the one for Peach is one of the working preset files, so you can follow these steps, and it should fix the weird 180 degree flip:

1) Download the Peach preset file from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sdlRW6Rw8NmTPDlrPgGdaPgxg_FUes9l
2) Export your current Blender scene as a .fbx, and import that .fbx into the new downloaded .blend file (So that you have both the preset file's stuff and your stuff)
3) On your model, clear the parent of each object (If it asks, click "Clear and Keep Transformations")
4) On each model part, delete all the Modifiers (There should only be modifiers that are "Armature Modifiers" or something along those lines)
5) Delete everything but the skeleton that is named "Armature" specifically (Not "Armature.001", but "Armature" specifically), and your model
6) Parent your model to the armature with "With Empty Groups"

microwavewitch

Smash Rookie
There's an unknown cause to why the bones get corrupt, although the preset files are mostly working; I believe the one for Peach is one of the working preset files, so you can follow these steps, and it should fix the weird 180 degree flip:

1) Download the Peach preset file from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sdlRW6Rw8NmTPDlrPgGdaPgxg_FUes9l
2) Export your current Blender scene as a .fbx, and import that .fbx into the new downloaded .blend file (So that you have both the preset file's stuff and your stuff)
3) On your model, clear the parent of each object (If it asks, click "Clear and Keep Transformations")
4) On each model part, delete all the Modifiers (There should only be modifiers that are "Armature Modifiers" or something along those lines)
5) Delete everything but the skeleton that is named "Armature" specifically (Not "Armature.001", but "Armature" specifically), and your model
6) Parent your model to the armature with "With Empty Groups"
seems like this worked! thanks for taking the time to help, i was feeling discouraged.
your tutorials are super helpful btw! easily the best resource available for getting into brawl modding. :geno:

microwavewitch

Smash Rookie
a quick follow up, if you're still around - the hand on the model now appears as it should, but the umbrella spawns backwards now in much the same way. im not sure what bone thats even attached to since the umbrella doesnt come with each model. i cant find any other visual glitches though.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
a quick follow up, if you're still around - the hand on the model now appears as it should, but the umbrella spawns backwards now in much the same way. im not sure what bone thats even attached to since the umbrella doesnt come with each model. i cant find any other visual glitches though.
On the same Google Drive link, go to the bottom and look at "Brawlbox Bone Work"; Peach is one of the few characters that, since I recreated the bones in the preset files to fix the corruptedness, requires rearranging bone IDs in Brawlbox/Brawlcrate; so, this is a step that's after importing to Brawlbox, the parent/child relationships should be good, but on some bones, you have to "Move Up" and/or "Move Down" to have the bone IDs be the same as in vBrawl; in addition, you might have to manually enter each bone ID after moving the bones, or else Brawlbox/Brawlcrate might automatically revert it to unedited

microwavewitch

Smash Rookie
On the same Google Drive link, go to the bottom and look at "Brawlbox Bone Work"; Peach is one of the few characters that, since I recreated the bones in the preset files to fix the corruptedness, requires rearranging bone IDs in Brawlbox/Brawlcrate; so, this is a step that's after importing to Brawlbox, the parent/child relationships should be good, but on some bones, you have to "Move Up" and/or "Move Down" to have the bone IDs be the same as in vBrawl; in addition, you might have to manually enter each bone ID after moving the bones, or else Brawlbox/Brawlcrate might automatically revert it to unedited
that was it! everything is perfect now. thanks for helping me make my first little mod.

microwavewitch

Smash Rookie
Not a problem! Glad I could help! :)
im sorry for bothering you again, :facepalm: but do you know what could be causing the game to crash when this skin uses neutral b (toad)? im unsure if it's related as an issue. thanks again for all your patience, seems like no matter how thorough i am an error can be hiding in the most specific places TT_TT

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, dunno; I haven't had issues on my end with the Peach preset file, so could just be filesize, or something with the moveset, if you were attempting modifying that; but as I've said, I haven't personally had that issue, so I really don't know, unfortunately

microwavewitch

Smash Rookie
Hmm, dunno; I haven't had issues on my end with the Peach preset file, so could just be filesize, or something with the moveset, if you were attempting modifying that; but as I've said, I haven't personally had that issue, so I really don't know, unfortunately
no worries, youve already helped me a ton!

Top Bottom