• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for a good listen? Here's the album review thread.

T

Thisisnotthespot69

I forgot the name of it, but the most recent Airs album is, so far, aoty for me.

also im not Yodery wtf omg

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
My 2013 in a nutshell:

God Tier:
Autechre- Exai
And So I Watch You From Afar- All Hail Bright Futures
Inspectah Deck, 7L & Esoteric- Czarface
Föllakzoid- Föllakzoid II

Pretty good:
Steven Wilson- The Raven That Refused To Sing

Meh:
Mice Parade- Candela
Atoms for Peace- Amok
MBV- mbv
Iceage- You're nothing

Bad:
Mystical Weapons- s/t
clppng- midcity

Need to listen to:
This Town Needs Guns- 13.0.0.0
Mogwai- Les Revenants
Riverside- Shrine of New Generation Slaves
Tomahawk- Oddfellows
Fen- Dustwalker

Hyped for:
Kvelertak- Meir
Boris- Präparat
Deltron 3030- Deltron Event II (SHUT UP AND LET ME PRETEND)
Probably others

T

Thisisnotthespot69

man i went through the same transformation. first you get into the flaming lips and the next thing you know you're in a dark alley with a needle in your arm and three male reproductive organs in your bumhole. but THEN I FOUND JESUS AND HE SAVED ME!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Frameworks - Small Victories (2013)

http://frameworks.bandcamp.com/album/small-victories

Post-hardcore/screamo

A fantastically beautiful EP from one of the best independent local bands in Florida. I've always been fond of Frameworks, having played a few shows with them and enjoying their first EP 'Every Day is the Same" well enough...but this one is a very noticeable and exciting step forward for the group and converted me into a fanboy.. The vocals are more savage, the lyrics more desperate and honest, and the musicianship is more ambitious and tasteful than ever. The songs sway on a tightrope edging from razor-sharp rock rhythms to twinkling and melodic interludes. This band also never falls into the bad tropes that many post-hardcore groups do. I don't think they have a single breakdown, gang chant or two-step section. It's so ungimmicky, so sincere and genuinely strong songwriting that makes this EP very powerful and something I'm going to keep coming back to for years to come.

recommended tracks:

listen to the whole thing, it's four songs.

but if not, listen to "Old Chokes" or "Ida"

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
seen them live 3 times, u jelly. Also, you recommend any emo? I've listened to Tigers Jaw, Dads, Capn' Jazz, Grown Ups etc
me too! they're the best live band i've ever seen. not in terms of playing their music perfectly, but energy and showmanship.

i like emo/ screamo (mostly screamo), i recommend Pianos Become the Teeth, Pastime, Lighthouses, Gillian Carter, Henrietta, Frameworks, FERO LUX, Touche Amore , La Dispute, Ghost Cat, The Number Twelve Looks Like You

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
earlier in this thread I reviewed Gillian Carter's ...Having Lost

well their f ollowup album Lost Ships Sinking With the Sunset is out (streaming) on bandcamp and it's really good though I had to get used to the big change in vocal styles. This album is much more screamier than their debut. I'm gonna write a real review later but I'm gonna post the link here to remind me and get other people to hear it

http://dogknightsproductions.bandca...rter-lost-ships-sinking-with-the-sunset-10-lp

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
MUSIC REVIEW TIME
Conditions – Full Of War (released 3/26/13)
Label: Good Fight​
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Alternative Rock, Pop-Punk.​
For Fans Of: Saosin, Hoobastank, Taking Back Sunday, Thrice, Jimmy Eat World​

FOR STARTERS
Richmond, VA band Conditions has been scraping from the bottom of the rock scene for quite some time, it seems. Having formed in 2006, the band has toured quite a bit in support of their two EP's and full-length. Their last release, the full-length “Fluorescent Youth” (also on the Good Fight label) was pretty well received overall, though did get some comments from critics about having some key repeating points when songwriting came to mind.

Seven years have passed since their inception, and they’re still going strong, having recently finished a tour with Sleeping with Sirens and Danger Kids, as well as releasing their 2nd full length, titled “Full Of War.”

This release, though done as a four-piece due to the loss of their rhythm guitarist, is still chock full of the catchy choruses, heartfelt lyrics, and upbeat rhythms that they are most known for. Songs like “Skeleton”, “Every Day Is A New Life”, and “Not Giving Up... Not Yet” have singer Brandon Roundtree using his range to great effect, while the guitars and drums push forward into an almost cathartic blend of rock and post-hardcore not unlike Thrice or Saosin at their prime. At the same time, there are some slower, more calm pieces (look to “Open Eyes” or “Wonderful Lie”) that are more so relaxing, yet still contain a high level of emotion.

INSTRUMENTS

Guitars did a decent job of mixing up their sound each song, and it was much appreciated. There isn’t too much to them from a technical standpoint, but there was a pleasant change between songs that you could definitely feel, something that most bands in this particular field (especially in the realm of pop punk and post-hardcore) don’t even think about. Whether it was in the effects or tuning of the guitars, or by simple changes in chord progression, they performed more than adequately.

Bass, I feel, wasn’t as well represented as it could’ve been, considering the loss of a guitarist. The bass parts tended to follow the trend of post-hardcore, keeping to simple progressions and not doing much to stray from the path. Because of this, it was kept rather low in the mix. I would chalk this error up to songwriting, mostly because it wouldn’t really do much to the song even if it was louder in the mix.

Drums, though simple at times, are solid all around. The mix could’ve been better for the cymbals at times (look to “Every Day Is A New Life”), but aside from that, overallthe drums are adequate, but not very memorable aside from songs like “Descent Of Man” or “Skeleton.”

Lyrically, I actually feel this album took a step back from “Fluorescent Youth” in a similar way that Circa Survive did from “On Letting Go” to “Blue Sky Noise”. The lyrics were made a little more generic in places to become easier to understand. But in that process, the lyrics also lost their meaning and, consequently, their power. Some songs just feel flattened by the simplicity, and sometimes it throws the listener off of a good roll right when you’re getting into the song (see “Open Eyes”, “Love Elusive”, and “What We Wait For”).

CONCLUSION

Is this album good? Yes. Is it great? I wouldn’t say so. Several songs throw their potential away because of bad lyrics or just flat out over-simplicity. This album doesn’t have the same edge that “Fluorescent Youth” had, and though the goal was to seem more mature and to diversify their sound a little bit, “Full Of War” is, I feel, Conditions tamed. If this album is your first time listening to Conditions, I think you may greatly enjoy it. It has some fantastic songs, and it still shows glimpses of potential to be as big as Jimmy Eat World or Yellowcard at times. It just seems to lack the consistency throughout its tracks to elevate itself to true greatness.

RATING: 8/10

NOTABLE SONGS:
Skeleton
Love Elusive
Every Day is a New Life
Long Division
Not Giving Up... Not Yet

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
I forgot who posted about Cloudkicker, but I thank you. I am smitten. Being a Dream Theater lover, it instantly clicked with me.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman

Lykke Li - I Never Learn
Genre: Chamber Pop, Singer-Songwriter.

Lykke Li is a singer-songwriter from Sweden who's caught the attention of many ever since 2007 with her very somber music and frequently sad lyrics. I have admittedly not listened to her 2008 debut album Youth Novels and I have only listened to a bit of her 2011 sophomore release, Wounded Rhymes. Speaking of Wounded Rhymes, I'd recommend that. From what I have heard, it's solid. Far more happier sounding than I Never Learn. But as for this album, all I can say is that it's alright. I'm not that much of a reviewer. So I'll do a track-by-track deal here and share my opinion.

I Never Learn - This is such a strong opener, in my opinion. It's really like a landscape of sounds with such gorgeous lyrics. Possibly my favorite on the album. Everything about it is kinda majestic, I'd say. I would even say that it sounds like something PJ Harvey would have written in the White Chalk era. My only complaint with this is that it's a bit too short. But then again, short & sweet is sometimes best rather than dragging it out for the sake of length. I also feel that it could have been a bit better if they cut back a little on Li's vocal effects. Overall rating: 9/10.

No Rest for the Wicked - I can safely say this was a bit of a grower for me. I originally thought it was kind of too whiney. But then I listened to it when I was in the proper mood and then I really understood it. The songwriting is ****ing amazing on this one, in my opinion (I can't stress that enough). Maybe the "quiet verse, loud chorus, quiet verse, etc." thing does get old, but I haven't listened to the radio in awhile, so I'm not as sick of it as someone else may be. As for the negatives, Li's vocals can be sort of annoying on this track. Regardless of that, it's still solid. Overall rating: 8/10.

Just Like a Dream - Sometimes when I let this album play through, I hardly notice the change between No Rest for the Wicked and Just Like a Dream. I really feel that this shouldn't have been after No Rest for the Wicked. Maybe that's just me, though. It's also sort of like a subpar version of No Rest for the Wicked. This album suffers from songs sounding too similar to each other as well. The chorus gets too damn repetitive. It really runs its course after the first few times. All in all, it's good, but could have used some more work. Overall rating: 6.5/10.

Silverline - At this point, you grow a bit tired of Li's vocals. Especially when the lyrics she sings aren't all that interesting. This song drones on a bit and I'm aware there is a certain appeal behind repetition in music, but I feel like it doesn't necessarily work here. It's a bit too slow for its own good, kind of like a Red House Painters song. It wouldn't be as bland if Li took a more organic approach to her vocals. I know that she enjoys doing that and always has, but the reverb does get a bit overwhelming quickly. That entire false atmosphere grows very thin. At least what goes on instrumentally sort of helps save the song, but it just doesn't help that much. Sometimes you just wish she'd go acoustic... Which does happen at some point! Overall rating: 4.5/10.

Gunshot - Although the lyrics remain sad, it's a bit more happier-sounding here. It grabs your attention when you play through this album. LIke I said, this album does drone on a bit and even when the songs over and it goes onto the next, it sounds the same. But I suppose you really do need to be in the mood to appreciate what's going on. Even then, as a person who has depression, it just doesn't really do it for me. I can at least appreciate the effort they took to differentiate this from Silverline and Just LIke a Dream. Overall rating: 4/10.

Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone - Here it goes... The moment everyone has been waiting for. A song where it's not slathered in reverb and obnoxious vocal effects. This song DOES feature vocal effects, but not to such an extreme. This is by far the best song on the entire album. It makes up for the boredom caused by the 3 previous songs. This song is PACKED with emotion. It's minimalistic compared to everything else on the album, as well. Just Li and her guitarist. The acoustic is incredibly sorrowful. It's simple and effective, which is something the album needed. But the lyrics and Li's singing are the true stars of this song. These lyrics are some of the most mournful I've ever heard and I say that as someone who considers themselves to know a thing or two about music. I know a ton of people who'd agree with me on that. Even if you're not going through a breakup, you'll still feel sad. It's pretty much unavoidable. This song is sung to perfection, in my opinion. There's a real wave of emotion going on in Li as she sings this and it becomes apparent towards the end when her voice cracks. Whether or not that was intentional, I can't really say. If it was fabricated for the sake of emotion, she's a great actress. If this song doesn't become a popular breakup song throughout the years, then there is no justice in this world. Overall rating: 10/10.

Never Gonna Love Again - The album picks up from here, but never retains the quality that Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone has. But then again, it'd be hard to sustain that quality. I would say that Stone should have been the final song, but if I recall correctly, this album is the ending of a trilogy in Li's discography. Apparently it all started with Youth Novels and ends here with I Never Learn, but I don't really care that much. Even if that's not true, it only seems appropriate that this song would come after Stone. I say that because it seems like Li is pleading to a boyfriend to stay with her throughout that entire song. This one seems to be like her response to that apparent rejection. Never Gonna Love Again is a bit underwhelming after hearing Stone, but I think listening to this at random would be good if you could somehow forget the quality of Stone. My critique of this song is basically, it's not Stone. Setting the bar pretty damn high. Overall rating: 6.5/10.

Heart of Steel - We're back to the obnoxious reverb at this point. Bland songwriting and uninteresting singing. The only thing that makes this song different from Silverline is the fact that there's a chorus singing with Li occasionally throughout the song. That's my entire problem with the album. Some of the songs sound the same and this song is definitely one of them. Love Me LIke I'm Not Made of Stone, I Never Learn, No Rest for the Wicked... All great songs. Why? It's because they hardly sound anything alike. This song is bull**** and is interesting for at least 4 seconds. Overall rating: 3/10.

Sleeping Alone - This one is actually alright. Sleeping Alone is a piano ballad. This song could have been much cheesier than it is. But I still just think it's alright. That's pretty much the only thing I have to say about it. It's alright. But it's like a pile of **** that smells better than another pile of ****. It's still a pile of **** that smells like the scent of after rain, which is pretty cool. Overall rating: 6/10.

Overall: This could have been a much better album if she put more time into it. But if you look at history, you'll notice that Wounded Rhymes (her sophomore album) came out in 2011. This is 2014. There is no excuse she couldn't have put more effort into the songwriting. I know the world couldn't have possibly handled this album if every song was on par with Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone, but still. It's ridiculous. Though I would still recommend this if you are suffering from a breakup considering this IS her most heartbroken release yet, but it's just so subpar. It tricked me into thinking this was gonna be great, but after the first 2 tracks, I got mediocrity. Then it came around and hit me with Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone and fed me nothing but **** until the very end. If you want heartbroken music that's actually interesting throughout the entire album, try out Unknown Rooms by Chelsea Wolfe. I'm really hoping for consistent quality from Lykke Li next time. Overall rating: 5.5/10.

Last edited:

B1gBandJazZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp4464
3DS FC
0903-3227-6508

An Endless Sporadic
Artist: An Endless Sporadic
Genre: Progressive Metal
Released: 2009
Rating: 9/10

This is one of my favorite albums ever. Especially as a big fan of Progressive Rock Bands like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and Yes, there's something in this album for everyone. You've got jazz motifs throughout "Treading Water." You've got heavy riffs and breakdowns in "Point of No Return." You've got soft piano work and intricate bass lines in "Shell." And like AES is known for, the solo guitar work is great throughout the entire album, like in "Eternal Bloom" and "From the Blue."

Unlike their previous EP, An Endless Sporadic decided to take a more progressive take on the Prog Metal genre. It's still technically intricate and all, but this album focuses on making Prog Metal sound more musical. Just listen to the penultimate track "Subliminal Effect." Probably the most progressive-sounding song on the album, this song utilizes mellow tones and dramatic buildups to highlight the very bright, interesting overall sound.

While the mixing of this album is very well done, there are some problems. In the song "Shell," you can hear scraping during the piano sequences. While it may be percussive in nature, I don't necessarily think that this was intended during the composition of this song. That being said, this album is put together very well. As you'll notice throughout the album, there is a specific musical theme (or motif) that exists in different forms within all nine tracks of this album. This makes the album sound much more interesting to listen to.

TL;DR: Overall, this is a great sounding track. If you love Prog Metal, and are interested in exploring a more technical, jazzier sounding side of the genre, this is the album for you. I highly recommend.

Some highlights:

"From the Blue"
Fast-paced, very energetic song. I actually work out to this track. Lots of rapid guitar licks and overarching themes.

"The Triangular Race Through Space"
This is probably the most "AES" sounding song in the entire album. You got lots of keyboard work, heavy bass lines, and intense guitar licks. Definitely a great track.

"Eternal Bloom"
This is probably my favorite track. Beautiful acoustic guitar work in the beginning with interesting usage of fretless bass. This then shifts into a mellow, energetic rock section with stylistic drum work and masterfully-blended rhythm guitar work.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Heat Wave
I'm ****in' You Tonight

Genre: Chopped N' Screwed/Soul/Plunderphonics
Rating: ★★★★½

Review Summary: I don't owe you nothing, you don't owe me nothing. Know what I'm saying?

Album titles are known to occasionally draw listeners into checking the music itself. Take the extremely relevant album, Yeezus for example. Publicity and advertisement for the release is through the roof due to the fact that it could possibly be a mockery of one of the most practiced religions since the beginning of our time. Sure, the album could be a gimmick (or on the flip side an acclaimed masterpiece) but the fact stands that it brings in listeners which should be a goal of any musician who wants to spread their art globally. Normally recommendations from friends or critics precede album covers (artwork) or what the album is named itself - but every so often when hit with a drought of fresh and unique sounds fans of music will check out practically anything that throws up a few colored flags to get their new fix. Heat Wave's I'm ***in You Tonight doesn't put up one or two flags, but an entire array - and follows up with throwing them all in it's audience's face at once. The title holds such a direct and blatantly aggressive yet somewhat jesting impression upon the public that it's almost impossible to not want to check out.

The album opens with a welcoming tone in contrast to a perception of anger or spite that the word "***ing" usually derives and it's almost immediately understood that "***ing" is missing the "g" for good reason due to how smooth and relaxed it feels. Heat Wave invites the listener in with a deep incomprehensible voice that slowly fades away accompanied by various crackles and a lush loop that has the power to mesmerize it's audience within the first thirty seconds. Wind chimes start to echo in and the noise levels of various instruments are brought up and down with a in sound to supply a unique psychedelic listening experience that would take an ample amount of time to replicate. Very reminiscent of any screwed Houston mixtape you would find in Texas (i.e. DJ Screw, Michael Watts, Swisha House) but much more interactive and enjoyable which boosts the replay value tremendously. Down the line out of left field Heat Wave drops an absolutely gorgeous melodic vocal line that carries the piece for a good five minutes. Within those five minutes (and the next twenty eight) the entire atmosphere becomes Heat Wave's playground to tinker with and put his stamp on. Melodies are stopped, compressed, repeated, cut, reversed, sped up, spun. Bass lines sneak in and provide the perfect groove to vibe behind the vocals. Chimes are scattered perfectly throughout - providing just the right amount of psychedelia to where it doesn't become too overbearing. Tin sounds are dropped in the strangest (but best) tempos and synths are put in the absolute perfect spots to illuminate the music entirely. The whole thing just has this incredible amount of bliss and it's engulfed with so many ideas at first it may seem as though all it possesses is a great amount of repetition, but when examined closer with a keen ear it's very apparent that although minute changes are being made it's these additions (albeit small) that really stand out and give the tape such an unprecedented/unique sense of musicianship.

I'm ***in You Tonight is soulful, sexy (in a lighthearted way), funky, warm, flowing, tropical, drugged, liquidy, and even comical in a strange kind of way. Despite all of this, even these these descriptions don't provide enough justice to depict what the artist here has created. Perfect to relax, sleep, and yes - even *** to, it's an overlooked and unparalleled testament to the incredible images and emotions we're currently able to depict through sound all while having a great amount of fun.

Last edited:

z00ted

Arthur Russell
World of Echo

Genre: Experimental/Art-Pop/Improvisation
Rating: ★★★★

Review Summary:
An empty canvas is full.

Directions and my mind don't work. Name any significant edifice that most of us spend a majority of our time in over the course of our lives and I can almost guarantee you that I've been lost in it. Churches, schools, homes, offices, gyms - if it's remotely average in space chances are I've been caught going around in circles within it's doors. Teachers would ask me to bring papers or roll calls to certain locations in my schools and I would reply back honestly informing them that I wouldn't be back to class within a good thirty minutes due to my lack of sense when it came to directions. And of course, driving usually triggered immediate despondency without a GPS to anyone riding in company. Almost to the point where if I haven't been to the location at least ten or so times before I won't attempt in travelling to it without meticulous directions or a map out of respect to the passenger.

Friends and family have obviously noticed how horrible my direction is and some have had the displeasure of accompanying me in my "adventures". They've also had their fair share of opinions or laughs on my level of intelligence regarding navigation and although many have said that it should, my sense of direction has never bothered me. Nothing about being constantly lost has ever frightened or startled me - I've never felt insecure or threatened from being uneducated on my location, never hopeless on finding a way out. I say this because I believe music to be heavily instinctual. No one can put their complete faith into what sounds or what notes will proceed after the current being played - they just find a way of knowing from living through it, enjoying it's craft and exploring it's depth. Up until finding Arthur Russell's World of Echo I never sat down and thought of music in that light, I just felt as though somewhere within myself I always understood the kind of presence music possessed and hoped others did as well.

The expressions within the sounds of music, the way the notes were mapped out and placed in different areas, how you could always look at ideas presented in a different perspective - all of it gave me joy while listening. The honesty shown through music, all of it just resonated within me in a way that gave the mapped out sounds meaning - the emotions alone were enough of a reason to commit absolutely everything to memory.

However, every so often I would listen to something I wouldn't understand. Instead of having that sense of certainty or direction within the sounds presented, I felt as though I was right back in the hallways of my freshman year in high school. Completely lost and enamored by that sense of being astray. These were the sounds that yielded true potential and eventually became my favorite. What could this possibly possess that I haven't yet understood? I had whatever amount of time I chose to understand it - I couldn't arrive early or late due to being lost, and I didn't have to submit to anyone in apologies if I did. Every sound presented was completely laid out specifically for my curiosity... exploring them which way I chose, without the baggage of laughs or negative opinions at that current moment's lack of direction. It became an addiction. I always desired more, the strange sense of certainty and direction that music endowed me with.. I was constantly searching for new places in sound to explore. Despite being almost always lost in the real world, when thrown into the environment of music I almost always felt adept and familiar with what surrounded me.

When I first played World of Echo I was so lost that I started laughing, it seemed as if the entire thing was a joke. Nothing made sense or sounded like anything I had ever heard before and I loved it. Tone Bone Kone had the strangest sense of charm but ended so quickly that I could barely remember all the things going on within it. Like a type of testing ground to proceed into the album because the songs which followed held a completely different mood. As if Arthur Russell purposely put it as the introduction to the album to ward off anyone not willing to approach it with the right mindset. This album as a whole is the essence of curiosity through music. An enigma, it's purpose is to be initially misunderstood, re-listened to, and genuinely felt. It encourages you to become shrouded in it's intricate layering yet simplistic songwriting and to question every note brought forth. Completely original and primitive - like an artist doodling on a scratch piece of paper, then finding some small spark of an idea and immediately taking off with it in the most honest way possible.. creating an abundance of emotion. As if the creator himself purposely made difficult or trying sounds to become immersed in, just to come out with something that has been thoroughly deserved, thought-out, and undeniably beautiful. So bold in soul but quiet and frail in nature, as if it could just lay down to rest at any moment and be at complete peace.

Tones and pitches presented that you wish to completely engross your entire body in; being caught within four walls enveloping themselves around you - growing louder and pulsing as each second of reverb passes by. Alive with the texture of a fog or mist as the album cover represents, wrapping around it's listener with it's glowing warmth and comfort, healing both the mind and the soul. Each song is consistently brilliant and feels like it's after a specific moment or purpose exploring every option and idea until it reaches it. Not one note is ever wasted and if you were to exclude anything written from it, the entire collective piece would fall apart. Nothing can make me feel the way this does, and it's almost impossible to describe properly through words. Pure innocence - creative brilliance, absolutely perfect for what it sets out to express and achieve. Clearly an artist with an almost insurmountable amount of diligence and positive conviction in music. World of Echo truly is in a world of it's own, and it invites it's listeners to become lost within it.

My family tells me I'm lost in life, I tell them I'm becoming a musician. My friends tell me I'm lost in the girl I love, I tell them I don't mind. Because being lost to me doesn't put you down a set path, it takes you down multiple roads - not just one. Examining everything and everyone around you in a curious nature, creating an emotional connection to the people and things you directly interact with. Diligently understanding your decisions by backtracking on the choices which were incorrect. Branching out and learning from others when need be, instead being too prideful to go on without advice. Basing decisions off of self instinct and your own driven emotion instead of another's direction or influence. I don't know exactly how or why but when I needed to understand it the most World of Echo revealed to me that being lost can be a beautiful thing, especially in the field of music or love. It's curiosity doesn't dismiss any possibility or any emotion, but instead considers them all - sifting through each one until discovering the choices best fit. My family and friends are right. I am more lost than I've ever been before, and I've never been more excited in my entire life.

z00ted

Hyacinth
Our Naivety

Genre: Ambient/Glitch/Drone
Rating: ★★★½

Review Summary: (Free Download ! : http://jakehollis.bandcamp.com/album/our-naivety)

It's a somewhat funny thing when someone you personally know presents you with material that they've put a good deal of effort and time into. How does one go about approaching it? Do they stay honest to their judgment, diving into it like any other newly discovered work? Or do they cast off amounts of bias subconsciously (or perhaps knowingly) towards it out of respect and admiration? Most importantly, does this even matter outside of their own thought? It's impossible to detect whether or not an individual's authenticity of their own enjoyment is genuine. So why do people care to bother in knowing so?

Our Naivety has struck me in such a strange manner that these questions don't need to be personally asked. Through unraveling and interpreting these sounds it's almost as if they've become my own. How Natch depicts the album art perfectly, thoughts of laying on a beach, eyes fixed on a blue sky with waves encompassing my entire body, visiting me every so often in an attempt to keep a perfect equilibrium between warmth and cold within myself from the sun and water. Hearing new and old friends playing games and holding conversation on a busy sidewalk behind me, closing my eyes and feeling my body lift off the ground into the sky itself then watching them from that distance in comfort, slowly becoming smaller as smaller in sight from where I left like a lost balloon.

How Enter Andromeda initially gives a sense of something that once was good turning to evil, similar to the sounds presented when first entering The Great Deku in Ocarina of Time. It's mood greeting it's listener with instant desolation, then swarming in quickly with small parasites jumping from every direction insisting you to fall or give up and only showing a slight hint of hope within all of it's noise. How Momentum has this healing/lucid property to it, as if you're watching vibrant/glowing sea creatures jet around near the ocean's surface while sitting inside an air bubble next to a small fissure emitting heat for warmth and being transfixed entirely by all of it. And finally, how Euclid just drops you in the middle of the sky, and leaves you there floating to eventually choose in succumbing in agony to your own mental peril or venturing around and enjoying your last few moments in all of the sky's vastness and beauty.

Would it matter if upon asking the creator of these sounds what the original intent was? Would my perspective or stances on them instantly change? I doubt it. Regardless of what the initial purpose was of how this work was created this is what I have drawn from it and can say with utmost confidence I honestly enjoy. For these moments, this is my reason. And maybe that's why people care so much in bothering to know, it sits within an individual so comfortably and undoubtedly just when an individual's opinion is entirely faithful. People desire for others to reciprocate that new found trust in their reasoning because it brings along a great sense of self enjoyment. Coincidentally, my attempt at connecting to and understanding Our Naivety; as individuals in this society constantly casting out judgment upon anything confronted has shown me just that.

z00ted

some great posts going on in this thread! decided to bump it w/ some reviews i wrote last year on albums that inspired me a ton since I've been banned for a while huehue. nice to see all of you guys still going at it though, a lot of places i used to frequently visit are entirely dead (i.e. peach boards) so seeing this holds a pretty fond sentiment

@ Nkguy01 Nkguy01 that's sick! would have loved to tag along w/ you in that, i've watched their vids + documentaries on youtube and was totally in love with their thoughts/vibe they were giving off. such an impressive band, tons of fun. in regard to the recommendation thing, i'd suggest checking out the brave little abacaus' - just got home from the discomfort, we're alright (http://youtu.be/Wr6Xtbs0c7c), pat the bunny's - burn the earth, leave it behind! (http://youtu.be/FSa9cNQYR6k) and the max levine ensemble's - ok smartypants (http://themaxlevineensemble.bandcamp.com/album/ok-smartypants). if you dig those, i'll definitely give you some more recs. i believe there's a free self-sponsored download for brave little abacus somewhere on the internet, but if you can't find it just shoot me a message and i'll throw it your way

@ #HBC | Dark Horse #HBC | Dark Horse your finds from 2013 rock, dug autechre a ton as well 8)

saw some posts a few pages back on how this should be transitioned over into more of a review/discussion thread rather than a straight review kinda thing and i strongly agree cause i'd love to chat w/ you dudes on what's up in the music world on here. on top of all of this stuff i think you guys should peep i also sent dark horse this write-up/documentation of my musical discoveries on various releases i've found throughout my life. if any of you guys are looking for new music and/or are bored and wanna kinda take a looking-glass approach to my thought process or how i'd casually/informally rec music to someone last year, you could read this: ♫♫♫

ratings for various albums that have impacted me are on there too, i recommend anything listed - oh, and yodery.. pretty sure you'll eventually come across these posts cause of your relentless love for music from before. try to get unbanned/come back on an alt yo or just pm your fb / something

:190:

Last edited:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami

z00ted

i've heard all those jazz ones along w/ ulaan pesserine but i'll definitely check out the rest, thanks! :')

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice

World's End Girlfriend- Hurtbreak Wonderland

Genre: Modern Classical, Glitch, a touch of post rock

Background:

World's End Girlfriend is the musical solo project featuring Katsuhiko Maeda from Japan (currently resides in Tokyo). His earlier work on albums, such as Ending story and Farewell Kingdom, comprised of glitchy electronics that focused more on IDM. There wasn't much of any instrumental variety and the project sounded much different compared to later records. It wasn't until albums like Dream's End Come True and, especially, The Lie Lay Land, that I would say that World's End Girlfriend found "it's sound." World's End Girlfriend was making music that combined the glitchy sound they had with modern classical beauty.

Actual review

Focus:

The focus of the album this time around definitely favored the modern classical side of things. World's End Girlfriend tends to get their hands on every instrument they could find; varying between strings, sax, upright bass, electric guitar, harp, and pretty much any other instrument you can think of. Accompanying all of these instruments is the glitched out type of sound that they've experimented with in the past. Some songs emphasize glitch a bit more than others, but the modern classical elements take center stage. The goal of the album is definitely to attempt to pull your heart strings. If it doesn't do that, the album failed you.

My opinion:

I feel like Hurtbreak Wonderland is one of the most beautiful pieces of music composed in recent years. One of the reasons I think this is because the songwriting is completely on point. Some songs, like Birthday Resistance, completely overwhelm you with the emotion it's trying to bring out. This isn't to say that the song is cluttered with way too many instruments or anything like that. The instruments are well placed and continue to bring out whatever emotion it tries to reach. When you listen to Birthday Resistance, you get this overwhelming sensation of hope, bliss, and optimism. The strings in particular on this track are powerful.

However other songs, like 100 Years of Choke and Bless Yourself Bleed, slowly build to a climatic finish. During this build, I feel like tension is masterfully composed. The songs keep your attention for the duration of the songs because of the added detail. Since World's End Girlfriend uses so many instruments, this "build" can last for a long time and still be interesting. An example of this is 100 Years of Choke. The song starts with this melancholic and bleak harp solo. The song builds with strings, electric guitar, and keys. Eventually the song changes mood and becomes triumphant and empowering. The groove at the end of this thing is killer and the percussion samples help drive the song home.

The album doesn't always follow the "build" formula. The Octuple Personality and Eleven Crows, probably my favorite song, teases with a back and forth type format. One minute the song will sound huge and larger than life. The next minute the song will become reserved and shell like; as if it was a person withholding their emotion from the rest of the world. Other songs, like Grass Ark and River was Filled with Stories, are completely calming and focus on the prettier side of things. Even without a build, these types of songs keep your attention with enough detail and shifts in mood.

As far as the production goes, it's pretty much top notch. Every detail can be made out and, because of this, makes the album worth revisiting. The sax is vibrant, the strings are warming, and the electric guitar is clean with reverb (I could go on for awhile). Each instrument definitely adds to whatever vibe it goes for. Most songs have a "focused" instrument, where it is very much present. An example would be "Ghost of a Horse under the Chandelier" where the sparkling key and harp melodies are definitely the main focus for much of the song.

The moods definitely very from empowering to melancholy to maddening. There's only one song that goes the "insane" route. Dance For Borderline Miscanthus starts with these battle like string melodies and grimy distortion. It then transitions with very heavy percussion samples. It almost sounds like black metal blastbeats and mean that in a good way. It's absolutely hectic and then proceeds into this cacophony of noise and manic laughter. It's definitely the stand out track of the album.

Overall I definitely love this album. It's one of a kind and is an album I could personally listen to for years to come. The goal was to pull at my emotions and it definitely succeeded. Perhaps some people might think the melodies are simple or something like that, but I think the amount of sonic detail makes up for it. Some might find it a bit overwhelming at first as well. If you like albums that are beautiful or emotive, you owe yourself to listen to this (even if you end up not liking it).

9.5/10
TL;DR: If you like emotive modern classical music, this is the album for you.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
My turn

Sho Baraka- Talented Xth
Label: Indie
Genre: Conscious rap
Release date: January 13, 2013
My Initial thoughts when I first heard this: This was, and is, still my favorite album I've ever heard. This is the album that introduced me to quality music that can last for years. I could the creativity and hard-work that went into this album, as Sho was spitting incredible wordplay, similes, metaphors, alliterations, and more poetic sound devices and figurative language. Most importantly, it was heavily educational. The album's topics was nothing such of diverse yet very relatable with stuff like Marriage, Success, Faith, Racism, Greed, Self-Awareness, and Hope. Sho communicated all this w/o any rough edges or blunders. It was a smooth experience and very eye-opening. My thoughts after my 18th listen: This album is still showing long-lasting quality with it's hidden theme of African-American inspired topics and samples with bluesy singers and old spiritual hymns. Lastly, the messages behind each track will definitely last as these topics have extremes amounts of longetivity and depth in and of themselves.

Chapter 1: Bethesda
This chapter is basically an introduction to the problems Blacks face in America past and present such as poor living areas, Black and white exclusive public services, Lack of father figure, and more. As a black person myself, I can feel this track through and through. Additional to that, The chapter includes a old spiritual hymn promising God would trouble the waters 5/5 plus with amazing flow from Sho

Chapter 2: Michael
This chapter is 100% black-related and is absolutely breath-taking in its topic. The song ranges from Lack of Father Figure, Success in a young african american's mind, Young Black Girls misguided by media, And power-hungry suffering people. In all of this torment, Sho claims his "culture is going down" due to the suffering of black people in horrendous living conditions and ignorance. 7/5 for me

Chapter 3&4: Get happy, Mahalia
In this chapter, Sho expresses his Goal,"to be like the bible, not a bad verse in him." This chapter contains The best verses Sho has written yet, with such lines like," How long these clowns gon' wear a mask try to distract us, halloween is a scary day for the rappers." Duce Banner comes on here and delivers a flow like no other, even with some wordplay of his on 4.5/5

Chapter 5: Mrs.
Sho expresses his love for his wife and vows in a playful nature with a eccentric beat. Even the hook is strange at the very least. but, it's pretty catchy, with some witty play-on words by Sho. J.R, sings here and if you know him, you know he's always delivering something weird, but good. 3.5/5

Chapter 6: Ali
This chapter is on success with Sho expressing his dream to be successful in the rap game and even life in the grand scheme of things. He also gives advice to those who are looking for success to rely on God for help and to never give up. He also sites greats who accomplished in their fields such as muhammad ali, Tolstoy, Martin Luther King, and more.

Chapter 7: Denzel
This chapter is dedicated to have class and not swag since "real men will last"and "let them boys have swag" (pay attention to the use of "men" and "boys."). Sho expresses his longing to be a godly example to children. His friend Suzy Rock, also showed this desire as well as calling out those females who show too much skin. Lastly, Sho explain what class means in context of what they were talking, "class is that one-night stand, that took place after that bride and groom dance." 5/5

Chapter 8: Madoff
This chapter is on Greed and hypocrisy. "Rich man lies and he rises. Poor man lies and he dies." Sho paints a colorful brush of gray in this song as he saids," the person who is addicted to caffeine likes to look down on the person who is addicted to smoke weed." Lastly, Sho says," we do it all for the money." 5/5

Chapter 9: Jim Crow
If you know anything about American History, you probably know about this system. If you do know about this system, then you probably know what this chapter is talking about; Racism. Sho is at his all-time conceptually high at this one. He talks about racism on tv shows, government, self racial-value, Being taught that blonde hair and blue eyes is beauty, cultural brain-wash, and so much more. This song has been the most controversial when it released and it's not a surprise why. however, it was this song that taught me alot and opened my eyes to real-life issues. 110000/5

Chapter 10: Peter Pan
If this album was a story, then we're at the falling action. The chapter is more relaxed, has a more jazzy feel, and a more conversation-like vibe to it. Sho talks about hip hop in the mid 90's in his childhood. Basically,he heard a song that said," if you got money, get your hands in the air!" He said, he was blown away when he heard it. However, He talks about being in college also demonstrates a change in person as he finds God and now his views are switched. He finds his fav artists is shallow and not very smart. Finally, he talks about being a grown man, and how he now very dislikes that type of music. He also go's to say that his music promotes irresponsible man that never had a father to walk through the content. 8/5 for reliability

Chapter 11: Cliff and Claire
This is a marriage chapter. It basically talks about the hardships of marriage and always give a 100% and expect 0. However, this song really shows Sho's storytelling and his skill in rap. Additionally, this song is a excellent teacher to those who are not marriage to know what to expect. 4/5

Chapter 12: ME!
this chapter is about longing to change yourselves to be a better person. the singer lee green sings repair multiple times to get the point across. Sho talks about his flaws such as sexual weakness, selfishness, struggle to battle his thoughts on believing god isn't real, and more. he then ends it with," I'm just looking for a change." Theory hazit, the featured artist, talks about wanting to get buff, lusting to get approval, and spoiling his children. 5/5 this expresses me alot especially the vocals (very playful with the blues, yet kinda sad at the same time).

Chapter 13: King
This talks about a dream similar to MLK Jr.'s dream of peace, equality, and such. However, Sho flips this and talks about people wanting God and not Good, hollywood and hip hop not exploiting evil, God being savior and lord not a name agenda, platform, and such. Tedashii really killed his verse, with the best bars on the entire album imo. "born to crawl, walk run, walk, then crawl" is still spine- chilling to this day for me. 16/5

Chapter 14: nicodemus
The last chapter. This chapter is so emotional as Sho talks about God. This chapter is so beautiful as Sho paints the beautiful picture of God in his rhymes. Simply beautiful. 999999999/5​

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Miracle Of Sound - Level 5
Label: Indie, Video Games
Genre: Various
Release Date: December 2014

Indie music never really appealed to me until I discovered this guy last year. My love for his geek culture music spreads across all of his albums, but for now I'll focus on his latest: Level 5. Given that this year's album is massive, clocking in at 30 songs, I'll be giving an individual and brief review to every song of this album that I truly enjoy and listen to frequently, which is about 8 songs. Note that oftentimes I haven't played the game the song is inspired by, but I like it regardless.

1. Messing With The Best(Bayonetta 2)

I'll be honest, I saw this in my subscription box and thought "Bayonetta song? It's gonna be hard rock." Not only was I wrong instantly, but the upbeat instruments that wouldn't sound out of place in Rayman 1 instantly got me hooked on it. The lyrics also complement Bayonetta's character quite well. I haven't played Bayonetta 2 myself, but I'm considering it when I get a Wii U.

2. Cataclysm(Destiny)

After being wowed by the previous song MoS made for a Bungie game(Reclaimer, Halo 4), I was eagerly awaiting a Destiny song, expecting the same techno beat that Reclaimer had. Instead you're blasted with rock mixed with a vocal chrous in the background. I play this song at times when playing Destiny myself and it feels really good.

3. Resistance(Wolfenstein: The New Order)

Here's a song that, going with the theme of The New Order, gives subtle commentary on war and issues such as equality. It quickly grew on me with said commentary and the unique style of rock it has. Some trivia: this song originally came out on the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

4. Fires Far(Dark Souls 2)

Unlike the more humorous You Died(Dark Souls), Fires Far goes the more serious route. It captures the atmosphere of darkness and uncertainty present in DS2 in a style that goes between peaceful music to hard rock and back again. And it's a good ringtone, too.

5. Digital Shadow(Watch Dogs)

Man, is this catchy. I could imagine a hacker singing this. Cyber-rock is something I'd never heard prior to this; it's certainly worth listening to. Interestingly, Ubisoft themselves commissioned it to him.

6. Every Time You Look Around(Original)

Here's something you wouldn't expect: a motivational song. The wordplay basically amounts to "find your own truth in life and don't give up", a nice message to give. It's good for a listen if you're actually feeling down; it works for me.

7. Shadows Of The Ash(Shadow Of Mordor)

I haven't played SoM nor do I plan to, and I'll admit to not understanding the concept very well, but the instrumentals drag me in. I'm sure that someone who's played SoM will immerse themselves more than I did, but it's a good song regardless. There's two versions of the song: the normal one and a second version with aggressive vocals. I based this opinion on the latter.

8. All As One(Dragon Age: Inquisition)

Saving the best for last. It came out shortly after DA:I was named Game Of The Year at Game Awards 2014, and out of curiosity I listened to it. The reason I like it may be puzzling to some: in the right context, it's a perfect Fire Emblem song to me. Of course, as with Shadows Of The Ash, those familiar to Dragon Age can associate it easily, but I like it regardless of the game. Easily my favorite song in the album.

Just a sampling of all the songs in the album. Check it out for yourself, there's likely to be a song based on a game you like :)

Prawn

Smash Master
me too! they're the best live band i've ever seen. not in terms of playing their music perfectly, but energy and showmanship.

i like emo/ screamo (mostly screamo), i recommend Pianos Become the Teeth, Pastime, Lighthouses, Gillian Carter, Henrietta, Frameworks, FERO LUX, Touche Amore , La Dispute, Ghost Cat, The Number Twelve Looks Like You
If you like Pianos/La dispute you might be into my band, we just released 2 songs that are a little poppier but our stuff that's coming out in the next month or two is more like that

Rend666.bandcamp.com

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039

Nas - Illmatic

Genre: Oldschool Rap
Release Date: April 19, 1994
Label: Columbia
Rating: 10/10
''I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death''
Background:
Nasir Bin Olu Dara Jones was raised in the Queensbridge Houses, Queens, NY. Being born in 1973, he witnessed and experienced the creation of Hip Hop as a movement, as well as the growth and sophistication of rap music (he was a young adult during the golden age of rap). He started rapping while still a child, mainly for fun with his friends. He got serious about it when he was a teenager, and created a duo with his best friend Willie Graham, who got shot in an altercation in 1992 (the album name is partly an honor to him). Nas dropped out of school in eight grade (around 14 y-o). His father (Olu Dara Jones) was a Jazz musician, and you can see the influence of 1960's Jazz and Soul music in the record.

Nas got a lot of recognition in his neighborhood due to his rap skills, and that landed him a deal with Columbia Records. He started recording Illmatic in 1992, when he was 19 years old. He would sometimes disappear for several days, going in a secret apartment in Long Island to write lyrics.

The Album:
The album is really short, at a mere 39 minutes, because it was rushed. It contains 10 songs, including the intro. The only guest appearances are a verse by AZ, on the third song (Life's A B*tch), as well as a trumpet solo by his father on the same song. The album featured many different producers, which was almost never seen at the time, and is majorly responsible for this trend in past-Illmatic rap albums. These are DJ Premier (3 songs), Large Professor (3 songs), L.E.S. (1 song), Q-Tip (1 song), Pete Rock (1 song), and Nas himself (1 song). Bar Nas, they were all well-known and respected producers who agreed to put together their efforts in creating the best album possible, recognizing Nas' talent. They were all in a friendly competition while making the beats, which affected the results in a positive way, since everyone of them wanted to give to Nas better beats than the others.

The album as a whole is usually regarded as a top ten rap album (of all time), and is regularly placed at number one by a large number of critics. Its influence in rap music past 1994 is undeniable, ranging from the way beats are made to the way lyrics are written. It was universally aclaimed after its release, but did not sell well.

It was praised for its atmospheric and clean, but still complex beats, as well as the lyricism (both the story-telling and the technical aspect of it). Subjects vary, but they all are connected to life in the projects and how poor social-economic conditions affect individuals living in the ghetto, more precisely Nas' community.

Illmatic and I:
When I was younger I hated rap music. I couldn't stand it. I'm not exactly sure why, but it might be because I did not understand the lyrics: too complex, too fast, too many metaphors and other literary techniques I wasn't aware of, and my general lack of understanding of english (not my first language). I believe not understanding sampling and the complexity, work, creativity and genius required to make instrumentals is also a part of it. Anyway, Nas is the artist who made me LOVE rap music. The song that really got me hooked was Nas - The Message, from his second album It Was Written, if anyone's interested. Then, I started to listen to more rap (Wu-Tang Clan at first, for those who know), and got more interested in Nas. I was still young, and I still did not understand english perfectly or the cultural depht rap music had, but I liked it.

I listened to the album from time to time, and as years passed, I listened to it more and more. Now, I listen to it several times a week, almost every day. This really shows how much I love it. Yeah, that's a lot, but it's just 39 minutes.

My opinion:
It's without a doubt my favorite album of all time. There's other albums that I really like, and not only rap albums (The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy & the Lash, Muse - Supermassive Black Hole, The Clash - London Calling, or Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles, to name a few), but Illmatic is simply on a different level. It's the only album that I consider to be perfect on absolutely every aspect, from start to finish.

With that said, it's still not for everyone. If I had to choose one album to represent oldschool hip hop, it would be Illmatic. This album IS oldschool hip hop. It's dated (in a good way), raw, powerful, but chill at the same time. It's a particular style of music. Some people can also get offended by the lyrics (lol), since Nas talks without censure about the kind of life people around him live. There are bad words. There are references to drugs and violence, but it's not ''glorified'' in the way it is in today's rap. It's more about Nas telling his own experiences as a poor black teenager in the US, and letting everyone know what kind of things he and the people he knows go through. Nas doesn't necessarily talk about things he does himself, and he plays a role on some of the songs. Also worth noting, there is A LOT of 90's NY slang in it. This means you probably won't understand everything Nas is talking about if you're not familiar with rap.

It's the kind of album that you can listen to in different ways. You can listen to it casually while doing other stuff, or you can listen to it with the door closed, a good heaphone set on, and while reading the lyrics. Both of these are great, and you'll get completely different experiences.

What makes the album so memorable is that you feel like you're there. It's a hard feeling to describe. When you listen to it attentively, you really get the impression of BEING with Nas. You get the feeling you're the one Nas is talking about: you're actually living in the projects, either trapped in a gunfight, playing dice games on a street corner or taking part in freestyle battle with your crew in the park. You get that feeling as soon as the album begins, and it lasts until the very last sound you hear. This is due to Nas' amazing way of describing life around him, with such vivid details and imagery, and the beats that create this weird nostalgic atmosphere. That's what makes Illmatic so amazing. It's not only good music, it's also a journey into Nas' life.

I can't describe the instrus with words, but I can try to show how well written the lyrics are. Take the end of Nas' verse on Life's A B*tch, for example:

I switched my motto; instead of saying ''f*ck tomorrow''
That buck that bought a bottle could've struck the lotto
You have a repetition of the ''s'' sound: Switched, Saying, Struck
You have a repetition of the ''b'' sound: Buck, Bought, Bottle
You have rhymes in ''o'': mottO, tomorrOW, bottLE (because of how he pronounces it), lottO
You have rhymes in ''uk'': f*UK, bUCK, strUCK

This is just one example. There are plenty of great rhymes, when you take the time to look at them. Almost every line, actually, is constructed in such a way. That's why it's a completely different experience when you analyze everything and listen carefully.

I could talk more about it, but you really have to listen to it to understand.

The Songs:
(I have chromesthesia, so I ''see'' sounds and songs in a certain color. For fun, I wrote the name of the songs in the color I associate them with.)

1. The Genesis:
The name is clever; it's not only the first song (the begining, the genesis) of the album, it's also a medley of everything that lead to it. You have a sample of Nas' first verse recorded on an official song (Main Source - Live at the BBQ, 1991), but also a dialogue taken from the first film concerning Hip Hop culture (Wild Style, 1983), a sample of Grand Wizard Theodore, one of the men responsible for the birth of Hip Hop music (Subway Theme, 1983), and a dialogue between Nas, his brother, and AZ. If there's one thing I usually hate about rap albums, it's the intros, but I never skip this one.

2. NY State Of Mind:
The first song of the album, and perhaps the hardest one. The beat by DJ Premier is absolutely terrific, you get a sense of paranoia straight from the start. Nas goes on to tell his first tale of the album, about violence in the hood and how he dreams of a better (arguably?) life. It's widely regarded as one of the best hip hop songs of all time. Fun fact: when Nas says ''I don't know how to start this sh*t'' at the begining of the track, it's because he literally said that when he recorded the song. The ''Now'' you hear is DJ Premier telling him to start rapping. It's the first song he recorded specifically for the album, and he did it in one take.

3. Life's A B*tch:
This time the beat is much happier, credits to L.E.S., but the lyrics are just as dark. Weirdly, I always get the feeling of a sunday morning when I listen to it, but my friend says it reminds him of a sunset. To each his own I guess. The first verse is by AZ, who takes the first and only guest appearance by another rapper on the album. It's probably the closest Nas ever got to being ''destroyed on his own song'', it's an amazing verse and it landed AZ a record deal after the release of Illmatic. Yes, he got a deal based on this verse alone. Nas doesn't waste his time either, his verse is just as good if not better. The trumpet at the end is a nice addition by Nas' father, who freestyles something that goes well with the instrumental. It's probably the least conventional song of the album, but it's still great.

4. The World Is Yours:
The title is a Scarface reference, for those who forgot their cinema classics. This is my favorite beat on Illmatic, and it's also the only one that Nas got from Pete Rock. The lyrics are more abstract here than on the other songs, Nas doesn't really talk about anything, but he also talks about everything at the same time. The piano loop is crazy, the scratches are crazy, the flow and lyrics are crazy, it's one of the better songs of the album. Not much else to say here.

5. Halftime:
This song came out in 1991, and it's the oldest on the album. It's really more a bragging song than anything else, but it's done in an intelligent manner. The beat by Large Professor is simple but efficient.

Unrelated, but this is my morning alarm, and I still love the song. That's actually a problem because I let it play instead of getting up sometimes.

My favorite lines on the album are on this song:

I won't plant seeds, don't need an extra mouth I can't feed
That's extra Phillie change, more cash for damp weed
Wheter you believe in Nas' way of seeing things is up to you, but you can't deny it's killer wordplay.

6. Memory Lane:
The second DJ Premier beat on the album, it's a much more mellow one than NY State Of Mind. On this track, Nas reminisces about how things were when he was younger, and about everything he went through in the short 20 years of his life. There's debates on wheter or not this is the best song of the album, but it's up there with The World Is Yours and NY State Of Mind.

7. One Love:
The almost supernatural and mystic atmosphere is brought to you by Q-Tip. This song had an interesting concept, as each verse consists of a letter Nas sends to a friend in prison. Apart for being a generally great song, as every other on Illmatic, the third verse is the climax of the album. It's Nas' story telling at its best.

8. One Time 4 Your Mind:
The second beat by Large Professor. This one is different from the others, it's a lot more calm. You'll notice it immediately in Nas' flow too. The topic is not as serious as other songs: he simply explains what he does in his free time. The opposition between this teenage/careless side of Nas and the one you see on songs like NY State Of Mind really adds to the album as a whole; not everyting is lost for Nas, and there are moments where he doesn't have to care about all these problems. Some people see it as ''the worst'' song of the album; this is not true, it's simply different, but as brilliant as the others.

9. Represent:
The last beat by DJ Premier. Nas invites the whole neighborhood in the studio for the hook, and that adds to the overall energy of the track. The title says it: he's ''representing'' his hood and talking about what goes on there. Pretty straightforward song. You have the obligatory rap album shoutout at the end, but it's done in a funny way and it's the theme of the song, so I'll let it pass.

10. It Ain't Hard To Tell:
Last song on there, already. Beat by Large Professor. It's a great one, but some people find the Michael Jackson - Human Nature sample annoying. I personally like it. It ressembles Halftime in subject matter, but it's more mature. Some of the best lines are spoken here:

I drink Moet with Medusa, give her shotguns in hell
From the spliff that I lift and inhale, it ain't hard to tell
Speak with criminal slang, begin like a violin
End like Leviathan, it's deep well let me try again

TL;DR:
Illmatic is an amazing album, if that wasn't clear enough during my review. Nas' lyricism and story-telling coupled with the instrumentals is what makes the album what it is. It's arguably the best rap album of all time, so you should definitely give it a try. You most likely won't be disapointed.

Other:
Here is a link to the full album. Here is a website with the correct lyrics, as well as explanations for almost every line, so it's always useful because Illmatic is such a complex album. You should listen to it in one go. Sure, you can listen to each song individually, but it's much more coherent as a whole album, especially on a first listen. And it's a short one too, so it won't take much time anyway.

Last edited:

Franck'd

Smash Rookie
NNID
EirikFranck

Day of the dead is the fourth album from hollywood undead. the album does not fall under one genre but multiple ones like Rap rock, nu metal, electronic rock,hip hop, alternative rock, alternative metal. Hollywood Undead also try augmenting dubstep into their rap metal, and it's much more fitting. The blends found in "Usual Suspects" and "Does Everybody in the World Have to Die" thrive quite well on the album, and show a more industrial metal side to Hollywood Undead. The industrial inflection also sprouts up in "Day of the Dead" and "Live Forever," sprucing up the rap metal tracks nicely. so if you are in to that i would recomend this album for you.

Pumpkin Spice

Smash Rookie

Cry Baby - Melanie Martinez
Release Date: August 14, 2015
Label: Atlantic
"Tears fall to the ground, you'll just let them try"

Background:
Melanie Martinez was born and grown up in Baldwin, New York. She started off uploading videos of herself singing on Youtube, but fame started for her on The Voice. She was on Season Three of The Voice and ended at 6th place. After, she started to write her own independent music. She released her EP Dollhouse. After it's success, she began to work on her album. Cry Baby was released and had high ratings and peaked at 6 on Billboard's Top 200.

The Album:
The length of the album is 46:38 with a total of 13 songs. It was a mix of Alternative and with few hints of Pop in there. The album was generally upbeat with cutesy titles, but the lyrics had a dark and deep meaning to them making the album very unique.

Cry Baby was a whole story based off of this girl named Cry Baby. Cry Baby was the dark side of Melanie Martinez. It was confirmed that the track listing tells a story about Cry Baby. Some songs on the album were based off of her real experiences while some were made up scenarios. The album also came with a storybook about Cry Baby with illustrations and was written by Martinez herself.

The Deluxe Album came with 16 songs and the length is 57:01. The Deluxe Album can only be digital bought.

The Songs:
(I'll go by the track listing)

1. Cry Baby
This song has an creepy and minor vibe to it. It talks about Cry Baby, taking things too hard then falling apart. It is very catchy and has great vocals.

2. Dollhouse
This was her first single and was also on the EP Dollhouse. This song talks about Cry Baby's family like how her dad is constantly with a **** and how her brother comes home stoned. The beat to this song is very unique and adds a doll vibe to the song. It is upbeat and very catchy. The verses are depressing and the theme of the song is that families may seem perfect, but every family has their problems even if you don't see them.

3. Sippy Cup
This song is one of her very unique songs and also a single. It talks about Cry Baby's mom and how she always drinks to hide the pain from her husband always sleeping with another woman. The beat of the song is very nice and appealing. The lyrics are very dark and meaningful. The song sounds primarily in a minor key for the most part.

4. Carousel
It was also on the EP Dollhouse and was also a promo for American Horror Story: Freak Show. It talks about Cry Baby's first relationship. It was very toxic and one-sided. She compared it to how she felt like she was stuck on the carousel, spinning round and round never being able to reach him. The beat and instrumental of the song sounds like an actual carnival making it perfect.

5. Alphabet Boy
This is one of her most well-written songs. It talks about Cry Baby finally realizes that the boy did not deserve her love and dumps him. It also shows that she isn't a little kid anymore and can make decisions for herself. In the verses, it has heavy alliteration going A, B, C, D matching the alphabet theme. It has a catchy beat and tune. It has lots of imagery as well. It is a great break-up song.

6. Soap
This song is one of her singles. It talks about how Cry Baby likes a new guy, but finds herself continuously saying dumb things in front of him wishing that she never spoke. The tone of the song is very relaxing and calming. This song showcases her vocal ability very well.

7. Training Wheels
This song is a calm and slow love song. It compares Cry Baby and the new boy's relationship to a bicycle. Wanting to take off the training wheels is a metaphor to wanting to take their relationship to the next step. It's slow and her voice is this is very soft. It's a very soothing lullaby like song.

8. Pity Party
Pity Party is Cry Baby's first single. It is about Cry Baby throwing a Birthday party and her friends including the boy she likes, but no one shows up so she goes insane. This song sounds bubbly and much like a song that would be played at a kids party. The chorus "It's my party, I can cry if I want to" is a sample from Leslie Gore's song "It's My Party. It is very upbeat.

9. Tag, You're It
This is one of her most depressing and visual songs. Cry Baby gets kidnapped. Some lyrics suggest that she was r*ped. This song starts very slow off and you can hear the emotion very clearly in the vocals. She changes the softness, volume, and tone in her voice many times. This song shows lots of imagery. It is very dark and depressing.

10. Milk and Cookies
This song is the sequel to "Tag, You're It". Cry Baby poisons the kidnapper with poisonous Milk and Cookies. She slowly starts embracing her insanity. This song is based off of "The Freddy Kruger Song", especially the bits where she sings "1,2...""3,4...""5,6..." etc. It is slow and very much like a lullaby.

11. Pacify Her
Cry Baby no longer cares about the boy she liked, but she gets rid of his girlfriend just for fun. This is where she becomes completely insane. This song starts slow like a lullaby, but the chorus shifts into a catchy tune.

12. Mrs. Potato Head
This song is very descriptive and uses a large amount of imagery. Cry Baby becomes more confident in her skin. She sees a woman getting plastic surgery on TV with the lady thinking that pain is beauty. Cry Baby disagreed and realized that you should be yourself. It is full of figurative language and deep. The lyrics have such meaning and the song is bubbly and upbeat.

13. Mad Hatter
Listening to this song, you will find many "Alice in Wonderland" references. Cry Baby accepts her insanity and lets her go insane. This song is a loud song showcasing insanity.

14. Play Date
This is the shortest song on the album. It talks about how Cry Baby's new lover only loving her for sex and nothing more. It really peeves her and wishes that he had her on his mind. It is very playful and bubbly. The bridge of the song is "Ring Around The Rosie. The lyrics are filled with clever similes and metaphors.

15. Teddy Bear
This song talks about a worldwide social issue, abusive relationships and domestic violence. Cry Baby's lover whom she has loved deeply tries to kill her. The beat of the song is very catchy. The lyrics of the song are filled with detail.

16. Cake
This song talks about Cry Baby's boyfriend only using her for sex and discarding her like a piece of cake right after. It is filled with similes everywhere and throughout the whole song. It is one of her most catchy songs.

TL;DR:
Cry Baby is a very strong and amazing album. You should give it a try even if you don't regularly listen to Alternative.

Pendulum.

Banned via Warnings

LP1 - FKA Twigs
Release Date: August 14, 2015
Label: Young Turks
"So lonely trying to be yours"

Background:
Tahliah Debrett Barnett was born and grown up in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. She started writing music at age 16, but fame started when she became a professional dancers for Artists like Ed Sheeran and Jessie J. After, she started to write her own independent music and made her stage name FKA Twigs. She released her EP, EP1. After it's success, she released another EP named EP2. She later began to work on her album. LP1 was released and had high ratings and peaked at 30 on Billboard's Top 200.

The Album:
The length of the album is 40:46 with a total of 10 songs. It was a mix of Electronic and with few hints of R&B in there. It is generally considered Experimental or Trip Hop. It had a very extraterrestrial and elemental sound, due to its unique instrumentals and whispery vocals.

LP1 was based off of Twig's own love life. It kept that very theme outside of the song, Video Girl. It is filled with many lovely ballads and with each song comes a story.

Afterwards, another EP was released titled M3LL155X (Melissa).

The Songs:
(I'll go by the track listing)

1. Preface
This song contains a nice beat and repeats the line "I love another, and thus I hate myself" (Barnett). Twigs in an interview has stated that this quote can apply to many different things

2. Lights On
The song starts of with a very interesting tune from an instrument I can't detect. It has great xylophone and that tune in the background noise accompanying Twig's nice vocals. This song is a metaphor comparing turning on the lights to uncovering that dark and disturbing side of others.

3. Two Weeks
Two Weeks is the album's lead single. This song is very silken R&B. This song has demanding raw sexual power. It has a strong bass and powerful instrumental. It really showcases her strong voice. It shows how the one she admires is with a lover and she knows that she can supply his needs and he's better off with her. She is often compared to a drug in this song showing how she is what he wants and needs.

4. Hours
This song is very aesthetic and very dream-like. It incorporates soothing lyrics with a nice bass. It shows his lust and her sexual desire of him. Desiring him so much that she could kiss him for hours.

5. Pendulum
This is her Second Single on LP1 and acclaimed by Twig's her favorite song on the record. This song contains pattering drums with a thrumming heartbeat accompanied with Twig's ethereal vocals. You can feel the sorrow mood in the song portrayed by lyrics like "So lonely trying to be yours" (Barnett). It talks about how she feels tired of trying to please her lover and how miserable he makes her. She feels it as a toxic relationship.

6. Video Girl
This is her Third Single on LP1. This song has very strong notes of R&B with the beat and use of falsetto. This song goes in depth with career. It shows how she feels like how people will always think of her as that girl in the Price Tag video and she wants them to appreciate her as her own individual. In the end of the song she sings "I can't recognize me" (Barnett). It clearly shows how she can't foretell how she sees her career going in the future.

7. Numbers
It has complex instrumental sound and the little explosive bursts. It shows her dreadful emotions with the sobbing sounds in-between the verses. She asks her lover if she was merely just a number to him. A girl he used for pleasure that he dropped when he was done.

8. Closer
This song has strong angelic vocals and futuristic instrumentals. She talks about how she wants to get closer to that significant other.

9. Give Up
This is another one of her more R&B songs with mellow tone and light vocals. It talks about how her lover wants to give up on their relationships, but she doesn't want to let that happen. She understands that she can be a pest at times, but her intentions are pure.

10. Kicks
With the use of symbols and soft vocals, it gives of a very calm mood. She finally gives up on her relationship and starts pleasuring herself. She realizes she doesn't need anyone else to be happy and starts appreciating herself.

TL;DR:
LP1 is an amazing album. I very highly recommend this album to people of all types of genres.

Top Bottom