• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking Back At What Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Has Given Us

Lower_title_Smash_Ultimate.jpg

Last Thursday’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct confirmed Incineroar from Pokémon and Ken from Street Fighter as the final base newcomers along with Piranha Plant from Super Mario Bros. as the first DLC newcomer. Despite the mixed reception of the Direct, anyone who takes a step back will see that Sakurai has filled Ultimate's glass to its brim.

Just look at the stage count. Right now, Ultimate has 103 stages, not counting the Battlefield and Omega modes and the upcoming DLC. All but fifteen stages have returned, including the much-anticipated Fountain of Dreams stage from Super Smash Bros. Melee. While not every stage could make it back, the amount of effort taken to return the vast majority of them shows Sakurai’s dedication towards exceeding the fan base’s ravenous expectations.

Most fans predicted sixty to sixty-five playable characters, few if any returning veterans, and several cuts. Keep in mind that at the start of this decade, most would have never imagined sixty playable characters in a Super Smash Bros. game. Here comes Ultimate with an incredible seventy-six characters on launch.

Sakurai not only cut no veterans from Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U, he also brought back everyone that was previous playable. They fixed the technical issues plaguing the Ice Climbers and returned Snake, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link. One of Smash fans’ biggest request was to see their favorite veterans come back for the next game, and on this front, Sakurai deflated no spirits.

Of course, it would not be a Super Smash Bros. game without the ember inquiry of “who’s going to join the roster?” Ultimate boasts a fantastic selection from its six unique newcomers and five echoes. Ridley from Metroid goes without saying, given the nearly two decades worth of fan support culminating in his brutal playable debut where he kills Mario and Mega Man. Simon Belmont and his echo Richter Belmont hail from the esteemed Castlevania series, the franchise that started the innovative “Metroidvania” style of games with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Neither should anyone overlook Inklings from the breakout Splatoon franchise on the Wii U, Nintendo's worst selling console. Many thought that they should have been DLC last game, but one has to pick which wars they win, right?

King K. Rool from Donkey Kong also debuts as a newcomer in his magnificent August debut. Considered by many to be dead, K. Rool made a triumphant return through Ultimate, featuring a humorous trailer that established the long-standing rivalry between Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong versus K. Rool. Sakurai lovingly crafted his move set, beyond that of K. Rool fans’ wildest dreams from games like:

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble!
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • and even Donkey Kong Land

K. Rool is the only newcomer so far to have Sakurai mention the ballot as a factor for his inclusion. Hyle from DK Vine showed more that there's more to the story than what Sakurai leads on, noting that this caused Sakurai to call dibs on reviving K. Rool. It's incredible how a band of dedicated fans under the Kremling Kampaigner not only saved a beloved character from extinction but also changed the direction of the Donkey Kong franchise.

A decade ago, fans dreamed of an incredible Super Smash Bros. game with all of Nintendo's greatest characters. Nintendo has given its fans exactly what they want and so much more in what will go down as gaming's greatest crossover.

Who will you be playing as in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Fellow Lucas main here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

You forgot the most important aspect of Smash that's back:

An actual Adventure Mode.

Also, :ultlink: all the way.

This is my highlight of the Smash Ultimate pre-launch speculation: the return of this BOY :ultkrool: (BEST NEWCOMER TRAILER IN SMASH HISTORY). :love:

Me positive : 10/10 for the game
Me Salty : I love it but the exclusion of Waluigi and Issac is the only one that pulls meh back 9.8/10

Last edited:
I recently spotted a video that claims that Smash Ultimate is racist.

Anyway, I am kind of wondering if Smash Ultimate's shortcomings (so far) could have some fans going back to Smash Wii U; the mechanic changes could be distasteful to those fans.

I have no doubts that this will be the epitome of the series when the game releases.

I don't know how they will be able to top this game, but I'd love to be surprised.

As for mains, :ultpichu::ultkrool: and Incineroar, in addition to my Smash 4 mains :ultkingdedede::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultdk::ultpacman::ultduckhunt:. Will also be picking up Piranha Plant when he releases.

D
Despite the mixed reception to the direct.

The game is perfect great speed smilar to Melee amazing roster, including returning veterans' fan favourites, plus Samus deadly and sadistic archenemy Ridley, and the malevolent and unhinged King K. Rool. Also the vampire hunting family members Simon and Richter Belmont, plus the animal adorable secretary Isabelle among others.

Tons of great stages and music.

This was a massive undertaking and I'm stocked for the game.

Thank you Masahiro Sakurai and team, excited for the game.

I totally agree and believe that many people got spoiled in the first few directs and expected too much, myself actually included. I don't think that the biggest issue with the direct was the few amount of newcomers, It was just a bit messy tbh.

If you take a step back and realize how much Sakurai has done in order to create this massive and beautiful game you'll understand that we're just greedy. Just remember what he said in the direct: "I wonder if I'll ever get to take a break" ;)

I totally agree and believe that many people got spoiled in the first few directs and expected too much, myself actually included. I don't think that the biggest issue with the direct was the few amount of newcomers, It was just a bit messy tbh.

If you take a step back and realize how much Sakurai has done in order to create this massive and beautiful game you'll understand that we're just greedy. Just remember what he said in the direct: "I wonder if I'll ever get to take a break" ;)
yep, i'm impressed with the whole game and i'm glad he's having a break after this, I also heard Sakurai's underweight so he deserves the break after this
https://twitter.com/Antonio01672275/status/1057956516370833408
Overall all roster is great besides the exclusion of 2 characters but eh they're still in the game

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, this game is insane...

No cuts whatsoever
Fan favorite additions like Ridley and K. Rool
Castelvania finally getting it's due in Smash
Echoes make it so more characters can join without too much development time
Fun extra additions like Isabelle and Incineroar
103 Stages...
Spirits looking like a really fun mode

This might go down as the greatest Smash game ever created

We don't deserve Sakurai or his team.

We don't deserve Sakurai or his team.
Then Sakurai has initiative to make us the best game even when people would harass him or send death threats but he pushes on and ignores them even though we don't deserve him. Sure he could just relax but he won't that's what makes him a great game developer/director in my eyes, he strives hard to deliver something that many people would turn a blind eye on because "oh Waluigi isn't in" or "Spirits are just stickers" but he doesn't care about those people, he cares about the ones that loves the game since there were young/something like that.

Now i feel like i'm talking something gibberish, no offense but I do, i really didn't think this comment out

Last edited:
Then Sakurai has initiative to make us the best game even when people would harass him or send death threats but he pushes on and ignores them even though we don't deserve him. Sure he could just relax but he won't that's what makes him a great game developer/director in my eyes, he strives hard to deliver something that many people would turn a blind eye on because "oh Waluigi isn't in" or "Spirits are just stickers" but he doesn't care about those people, he cares about the ones that loves the game since there were young/something like that.

Now i feel like i'm talking something gibberish, no offense but I do, i really didn't think this comment out
You're just speaking your mind, dude. And trust me, none of us mind that considering we're getting the ULTIMATE Smash.
(Gosh, the amount of puns/catchphrases you can come up with from SSBU... the advertisements write themselves)

It amazes me how people can angry at all the work in this game, just because it doesn't fully cater to them. Yes, the direct may not have given you what you wanted, but it still had so much new stuff, and the game has so much content already. Sakurai had to block people who were posting inappropriate content, blaming him for leaks being fake. Stop expecting everything you want and appreciate this masterpiece for what it is.

Also, I'm playing Isabelle.

Last edited:
:ultdarksamus: and :ultchrom: were my two top picks back when Smash 4 was coming out and neither of them made it in (and one got memed to death over it)... then they were revealed as fighters in Ultimate within sixty seconds of each other and I am hyped beyond reality for this game. Thank you Masahiro Sakurai, now you go take a very, very, very well-deserved break.

Also my old Brawl main :ultwolf:, welcome back to the fight pupper

Last edited:
The game is so jam-packed with content that I don't any future game in the series is ever gonna surpass it. It'll be nice to finally play an online Smash Bros after the mess that Brawl had.

Last Thursday’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct confirmed Incineroar from Pokémon and Ken from Street Fighter as the final base newcomers along with Piranha Plant from Super Mario Bros. as the first DLC newcomer. Despite the mixed reception of the Direct, anyone who takes a step back will see that Sakurai has filled Ultimate's glass to its brim.

Just look at the stage count. Right now, Ultimate has 103 stages, not counting the Battlefield and Omega modes and the upcoming DLC. All but fifteen stages have returned, including the much-anticipated Fountain of Dreams stage from Super Smash Bros. Melee. While not every stage could make it back, the amount of effort taken to return the vast majority of them shows Sakurai’s dedication towards exceeding the fan base’s ravenous expectations.

Most fans predicted sixty to sixty-five playable characters, few if any returning veterans, and several cuts. Keep in mind that at the start of this decade, most would have never imagined sixty playable characters in a Super Smash Bros. game. Here comes Ultimate with an incredible seventy-six characters on launch.

Sakurai not only cut no veterans from Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U, he also brought back everyone that was previous playable. They fixed the technical issues plaguing the Ice Climbers and returned Snake, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link. One of Smash fans’ biggest request was to see their favorite veterans come back for the next game, and on this front, Sakurai deflated no spirits.

Of course, it would not be a Super Smash Bros. game without the ember inquiry of “who’s going to join the roster?” Ultimate boasts a fantastic selection from its six unique newcomers and five echoes. Ridley from Metroid goes without saying, given the nearly two decades worth of fan support culminating in his brutal playable debut where he kills Mario and Mega Man. Simon Belmont and his echo Richter Belmont hail from the esteemed Castlevania series, the franchise that started the innovative “Metroidvania” style of games with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Neither should anyone overlook Inklings from the breakout Splatoon franchise on the Wii U, Nintendo's worst selling console. Many thought that they should have been DLC last game, but one has to pick which wars they win, right?

King K. Rool from Donkey Kong also debuts as a newcomer in his magnificent August debut. Considered by many to be dead, K. Rool made a triumphant return through Ultimate, featuring a humorous trailer that established the long-standing rivalry between Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong versus K. Rool. Sakurai lovingly crafted his move set, beyond that of K. Rool fans’ wildest dreams from games like:

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble!
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • and even Donkey Kong Land

K. Rool is the only newcomer so far to have Sakurai mention the ballot as a factor for his inclusion. Hyle from DK Vine showed more that there's more to the story than what Sakurai leads on, noting that this caused Sakurai to call dibs on reviving K. Rool. It's incredible how a band of dedicated fans under the Kremling Kampaigner not only saved a beloved character from extinction but also changed the direction of the Donkey Kong franchise.

A decade ago, fans dreamed of an incredible Super Smash Bros. game with all of Nintendo's greatest characters. Nintendo has given its fans exactly what they want and so much more in what will go down as gaming's greatest crossover.

Who will you be playing as in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Fellow Lucas main here.
Im actually fine with the roster and stages, I just wanted Snake and Adventure Mode, and Sakurai made my wish true.

Hope as a DLC we get DoomGuy and his glorious music.

There's a lot of things I can say I dislike about this game. Since DLC was announced, I guess I want it, but other than that it's been a disappointment for me.

There's a lot of things I can say I dislike about this game. Since DLC was announced, I guess I want it, but other than that it's been a disappointment for me.
Could you please tell me why it's a disappointment for you?

If any of the others weren't disappointing to you, then this one shouldn't be anywhere near as disappointing as them. It literally brought back every fighter, with 11 new ones, brought back nearly every single stage and gave us a few new ones, tons of customization options, a full-on adventure mode, and various other QoL changes.

Only thing this game really did differently than others that I can see as people taking negatively is the removal of trophies and has an extremely large unlockable roster. Which aren't very big problems when you look at the bigger picture.

I, like many others, weren't too pleased with the final direct, but to say this game is a disappointment? You have to be extremely arrogant or ignorant to believe this.

Could you please tell me why it's a disappointment for you?

If any of the others weren't disappointing to you, then this one shouldn't be anywhere near as disappointing as them. It literally brought back every fighter, with 11 new ones, brought back nearly every single stage and gave us a few new ones, tons of customization options, a full-on adventure mode, and various other QoL changes.

Only thing this game really did differently than others that I can see as people taking negatively is the removal of trophies and has an extremely large unlockable roster. Which aren't very big problems when you look at the bigger picture.

I, like many others, weren't too pleased with the final direct, but to say this game is a disappointment? You have to be extremely arrogant or ignorant to believe this.
I wanted a game more like Sm4sh. More newcomers in the base roster, and then the DLC brings in a few more of them along with popular cut veterans. I don't like the idea of having to buy half the newcomers (echoes don't count).

Last edited:
I wanted a game more like Sm4sh. More newcomers in the base roster, and then the DLC brings in a few more of them along with popular cut veterans. I don't like the idea of having to buy half the newcomers (echoes don't count).
I wouldn't say 1/2 of the newcomers since Piranha Plant is a special preorder bonus but other than that ?

Sakurai explicitly stated at E3 that the game would lack newcomers.

However, it only has 6 less newcomers than base Sm4sh. That's not a huge gap.

Paid DLC is a tried and true process that provides extra content over the course of time to players to keep things fresh while also paying devs for their extra work. Expecting free content after the game's release would only result in microtransactions anyway, which nobody realistically wants to see.

Also they brought back every single cut vet, so you're disappointed by such a small margin. I still don't understand how just a small difference in newcomer count can overthrow everything else the game has to offer and lead to it being a disappointment to anyone.

Echoes very much DO count as newcomers. Are they playable fighters? Yes. Yes, they are. They're just easier to develop compared to other characters. Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, Richter, and Ken are all new characters to the series. Even the main site treats/treated them as such. When they were initially revealed they'd appear across the fighter screen's background stating 'New Fighter'.

Sakurai explicitly stated at E3 that the game would lack newcomers.
Doesn't make me any less disappointed.
However, it only has 6 less newcomers than base Sm4sh. That's not a huge gap.
It's literally half. Also, you forgot the Mii Fighters (which I count as separate characters).
Paid DLC is a tried and true process that provides extra content over the course of time to players to keep things fresh while also paying devs for their extra work. Expecting free content after the game's release would only result in microtransactions anyway, which nobody realistically wants to see.
Not saying they can't do DLC, but I would've preferred if being the way we got back the cut veterans, so there could be more newcomers on the base roster.
Also they brought back every single cut vet, so you're disappointed by such a small margin. I still don't understand how just a small difference in newcomer count can overthrow everything else the game has to offer and lead to it being a disappointment to anyone.
You don't understand. I could've played as any of the veterans before. Veterans don't hype me anywhere near as much as new fighters do. Especially since the vast majority of veterans were already in Sm4sh.
Echoes very much DO count as newcomers. Are they playable fighters? Yes. Yes, they are. They're just easier to develop compared to other characters. Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, Richter, and Ken are all new characters to the series. Even the main site treats/treated them as such. When they were initially revealed they'd appear across the fighter screen's background stating 'New Fighter'.
They are technically new, but not anywhere near the same level as the other newcomers. Their movesets aren't new at all, save for tiny differences.

It has givven us a heck of a lot, and yet people will still complain and be dissapointed. It is human nature to be an ungrateful *******, and the sad thing is negative people are a lot more vocal. Makes me sad about the developers pouring their hearts and souls in developing games.

I have no doubts that this will be the epitome of the series when the game releases.

I don't know how they will be able to top this game, but I'd love to be surprised.

As for mains, :ultpichu::ultkrool: and Incineroar, in addition to my Smash 4 mains :ultkingdedede::ultbowserjr::ultdoc::ultdk::ultpacman::ultduckhunt:. Will also be picking up Piranha Plant when he releases.
Most of your smash 4 mains are low tier. You have my respect

The addition of piranha plant might mean we get piranha plant's lullaby from mario 64, or more likely a faster paced remix

Top Bottom