• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking back, are you disappointed that certain characters didn't take (more) from their recent games (e.g. Odyssey, BotW, Samus Returns)?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I feel like we have the same idea but we want it to be done in different ways. I agree that the "vanilla" Link shouldn't have been BotW Link; that's why I said OoT/TP Link needs to be the "vanilla" Link with the usual Link moveset, while Wild Link should have mostly the same normals but a few attacks using a claymore or spear.

Do you want BotW Link to be the vanilla Link? Because I don't think that idea really worked out for Ultimate. Either people would complain that BotW Link is left-handed and has the hookshot and regular bombs, or people would complain that Link's moveset is too different, so they just compromised.

I could see it having the same frame data as Luigi's Poltergust grab, though. Just cut out the twirl before throwing and it could work.

I guess following your logic, a nice specialset for Toon Link would be this:
  • Neutral-B: Deku Gust: Charge move that shoots a windbox. Leaf's hitbox does minor damage. Also indirectly references Korok Leaf from BotW.
  • Side-B: Grappling Hook: Works like Isabelle's fishing rod and can tether.
  • Up-B: Deku Gale: A whirlwind appears out of nowhere and lifts Link while holding the Deku Leaf. Works like Peach's Up-B.
  • Down-B: Skull Hammer: Slams Skull Hammer in the ground and releases a shockwave. Shockwave pops opponent in the air, while hammer hitbox breaks shields and buries. Meteors if aerial.
I personally would keep the neutral-B as Bow, since that is more recurring than any other Zelda item short of the sword. I see hookshot as a bit more disposable that the Grappling Hook can replace it as a grab.
Frankly, I don't care as much about which Link is Vanilla so long as he's actually vanilla-ish (though I'm admittedly not a big BotW fan and that certainly influences things). To that end, OoT adult Link would probably work the best as his skills really kind of set the stage for the 3D Link's that followed and he himself is iconic. Not to mention he still looks and dresses like Link. However, whichever one is basic should be #04. In other words, Wild Link in this instance would likely be an echo.

Honestly, I would be okay with Hurricane Spin as his up special where it can move left and right on stage with much more horizontal movement in the air. Or essentially give him the option to glide with the Deku Leaf after the spin.

Also, why not just give him Ice Arrows to complete the elemental set? Getting hit with those offstage could also be devastating.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
[Arthur97, post: 23144201, member: 362681"]The Links could at least draw from their specific games for some normals. At least the specialized ones. Like, I would love for Toon Link's down air to be his counter helm splitter. Also, they could make Young Link's jab actually match one of the actual strings from OoT and MM. Unfortunately, Young Link has too little to pull from as far as sword attacks and Toon Link's mostly aren't that applicable.

I am against the grappling hook though. At least as his grab. Maybe as a fishing rod like attack.[/QUOTE]
I can imagine Toon Link having the Skull Hammer as down smash, in WW he's able to do a swipe around him which would fit as dsmash very well, slow but powerful.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
[Arthur97, post: 23144201, member: 362681"]The Links could at least draw from their specific games for some normals. At least the specialized ones. Like, I would love for Toon Link's down air to be his counter helm splitter. Also, they could make Young Link's jab actually match one of the actual strings from OoT and MM. Unfortunately, Young Link has too little to pull from as far as sword attacks and Toon Link's mostly aren't that applicable.

I am against the grappling hook though. At least as his grab. Maybe as a fishing rod like attack.
I can imagine Toon Link having the Skull Hammer as down smash, in WW he's able to do a swipe around him which would fit as dsmash very well, slow but powerful.[/QUOTE]
Could work. Honestly, don't know why they changed his down smash from how it used to work.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I can imagine Toon Link having the Skull Hammer as down smash, in WW he's able to do a swipe around him which would fit as dsmash very well, slow but powerful.
I think Skull Hammer would work better as a down-special. Like a mix of DK's side-B and down-B where the shockwave from the hammer pops enemies into the air, while the hammer itself does heavy shield damage, buries, and meteors airborne enemies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If there's one thing that still bothers me, it's this...

How come Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still sound like real world beasts?! And yes, I'm looking at you too King K. Rool.

Quillion

Smash Hero
They're cooler that way. Also, DK and Diddy sounded that way in DKC.
It was cooler in Melee and Brawl where the aesthetic was edgier and everyone was darker.

But now that Smash 4 and on has reverted to the bright aesthetic... it doesn't really work anymore.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They're cooler that way. Also, DK and Diddy sounded that way in DKC.
Times have pretty much changed since then, especially since after Melee, Bowser and Donkey Kong finally began to have notable voice actors. Of course, Brawl's dark, edgy, and more realistic approach pretty much warranted keeping the real life beast roars (and having Diddy sound like a real world monkey).

However, when Smash 3DS / Wii U switched over to a brighter and more cartoonish vibe, the beast roars just felt way out of place for characters who came from cartoonish universes. And the ordeal is made even more baffling when you remember that Yoshi, Bowser Jr., AND the Koopalings have all kept their usual voice clips.

Smash Ultimate continued to maintain the brighter aesthetics, and as Quillion Quillion had mentioned already, the real world beast roars just no longer work in such an environment; even seeing K. Rool sound like a real world crocodile doesn't feel right, since he's from the same cartoonish universe as Donkey Kong.

Ridley, however, can get away with sounding like a realistic beast, since he follows a dark and edgy tone (something that the rest of Ultimate's roster lacks, or does not utilize at all), and is from a more realistic franchise.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
If there's one thing that still bothers me, it's this...

How come Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Bowser still sound like real world beasts?! And yes, I'm looking at you too King K. Rool.
I wish DK had his voice clips from Mario spinoffs and DKCR/TF because is the same person who voices OoT Ganondorf and having him voice the King of Evil himself and the King of the Jungle in one game would be hilariously perfect.

Top Bottom