• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking at DK as a secondary option

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Hello people. I main ganon, and see potential in DK to succomb the flaws that Ganon has. For one, DK is far better on FD, and it's one of his better stages. Ganon does very bad on FD. The second reason is that in light of recent DK/Sheik upsets(westballz vs kira, iori vs overtriforce), I'm looking at DK as a potential counterpick to sheik. Now yes, I'm sure the matchup isn't as great as it's hyped up to be, but I'm confident it's far better than Ganon-sheik. DK disjoints his bairs better than sheik, making it easier for DK to approach, whereas ganon must rely on hard reads to keep the pace of the match, keeping it high risk/medium reward many times. I'm looking at frame data, trying out his combos, and soon testing the waters with him in friendlies. I've had a pocket DK for a while, but I'm now looking to DK as a potential tournament character for me. If you guys can pass on any advice, that would be cool.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Can you link me to these matches? Also Imo DK has it that bad against sheik. I think DK falls a bit too fast for her to chaingrab with away DI and your tech roll is longer than falco's. Plus he has a solid punish game on her.

Last edited:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I think Ganon does better vs Sheik because of his Fair and chaingrab alone. Ganon also actually has an easier time recovering since needles can gimp DK at any % for a kill.

Me and GreenRanger agree Sheik isn't THAT bad for DK and have done this matchup a ton. But I feel that many Sheik players really just play incorrectly, respecting DK when they shouldn't. Westballs and Iori didn't even combo/punish correctly and still won.

The "noobier" the Sheik players the easier the matchup is. Watch GreenRanger vs Borp. When I played M2K, he did like 4 moves lol. I think picking up Falcon or Marth would be a better choice (both seem to be popular secondaries for Ganons).

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
Which matchups are you struggling the most with? I think vs Sheik and Marth, DK is a much better choice than Ganondorf, but Ganondorf does really well vs Icies (which with DK is a matchup so bad I just don't do it).

DK does far better vs Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon IMO than Ganondorf (PAL Dorf anyway).

I do personally think DK is a better character than Ganondorf in everything but the Icies MU, but I do think that you should maybe try a character than can better cover the Jigglypuff matchup.

Top Bottom