• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(LOL) TETRIS! For Smash Bros.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Basic costumes? Each costume comes with 7 colors. I guess they are like patterns on Pac-Man’s gloves.

For example, you are playing as Tetris and you choose the standardized colors. You start the match as the cyan I block. This block changes colors (only the standardized colors) whenever it changes its shape. Best analogy I can think of is Mr. Game & Watch changing his form whenever he uses a move and Piranha Plant changing its color whenever it uses its Side Special move.
I'm just confused on how you mean it. So every main costume is separated via patterns instead of colors like your typical alt, right?

I completely get what you mean by changing colors during a move used. I am just lost about how the costumes for the character are done. They have 8 of 'em, and all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm just confused on how you mean it. So every main costume is separated via patterns instead of colors like your typical alt, right?

I completely get what you mean by changing colors during a move used. I am just lost about how the costumes for the character are done. They have 8 of 'em, and all.
Oh, well... the way I pictured it, it is like this.

Tetris has 8 alts. Each alt has their own colors/patterns for each tetromino.

Tetris is actually the 7 tetrominoes in one. Each tetromino has its own color/pattern.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming up with a moveset for Tetris is so challenging but I think I came up with something that might fit Tetris. It might seem dumb but what the heck, we are making a character that is more bizarre than :ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultpiranha:.

Basic Moves
  • Neutral A - rotates 90 degrees clockwise
  • Side + A - same
  • Up + A - same
  • Down + A - same
  • Dash + A - rotates 360 degrees clockwise
Smash Moves
  • Smash Side + A - bombs appear on its blocks and it rotates 90 degrees clockwise and explodes
  • Smash Up + A - same
  • Smash Down + A - same
Aerial Moves
  • Aerial Neutral A - rotates 360 degrees clockwise
  • Aerial Forward + A - rotates 90 degrees clockwise
  • Aerial Back + A - same
  • Aerial Up + A - same
  • Aerial Down + A - Soft Drop; meteor smash
Grab & Throws
  • Grab - telepathically grabs opponent
  • Pummel - rotates 90 degrees clockwise
  • Forward Throw - rotates 360 degrees clockwise and then throws the opponent forward
  • Back Throw - same and throws the opponent back
  • Up Throw - same and throws the opponent up
  • Down Throw - same and buries the opponent
Special Moves
  • Neutral B - Tetris Blast
    • Tetris gets bombs on its blocks.
    • Useful for dealing more damage whenever using non-Smash moves.
    • Also useful for placing bombs on the tetrominoes it places on the stage.
    • Bombs deal more damage when clearing lines.
  • Side + B - Counter Clockwise
    • Tetris rotates 90 degrees counter clockwise.
    • Useful for deflecting projectiles.
  • Up + B - Next Queue
    • Inspired by Hold Queue.
    • Recover by swapping places with the next tetromino from the Next Queue box.
    • The Next Queue box is located where Tetris appears at start of match.
    • Your current tetromino falls offscreen and you start playing as the next tetromino without losing a stock.
  • Down + B - Hard Drop
    • Never use it when you are off the stage. It will instantly KO you.
    • This instantly places your current tetromino on the stage and you start playing as the next tetromino from the Next Queue box
    • Useful for burying opponents when landing on them from above.
    • Necessary for setting up rows of blocks to clear lines.
  • Final Smash - Tetris Plus
    • Tetris sends opponents to a Tetris Plus playfield.
    • Tetrominoes rain from above, forcing opponents to climb up.
    • Spiked ceiling drop on opponents, launching them.

Size and Weight
  • A tetromino is made up of 4 blocks. A block is about as big as Kirby... so Tetris is about as big as four Kirbys.
  • Tetris is very heavy, possibly heavier than Bowser. It's made of blocks, obviously.
Animation Style
  • Tetris has something like a choppy, frame-by-frame animation when it moves around. Almost like Mr. Game & Watch and Pit's hammer animation.
  • It moves around like this.
Fighting Style
  • Tetris is really bad at fighting. Really, really bad. All it does is rotate and drop and clear lines. Therefore, Tetris fights by rotating and dropping and clearing lines.
Jumping and Landing
  • To make up for the fighting style, Tetris is really good at jumping. It can stay in the air for a long, long time. Hold the jump button and Tetris will float in the air like Peach.
  • When Tetris jumps or floats, you will see its Ghost Piece directly below Tetris. This will help let you know where Tetris would land should you use the down special move Hard Drop.
    • For information on Hard Drops and Soft Drops, visit here.
  • When you land on the ground via Hard Drop, you will leave that tetromino in place and you will start playing as another tetromino from the Next Queue box. That's how and why Tetris is actually the 7 tetrominoes in one.
Clearing Lines
  • To deal serious damage to the opponents, Tetris need to clear lines.
  • 1 line deals 10% damage with knockback
  • 2 lines deals 20% damage with knockback
  • 3 lines deals 30% damage with knockback
  • 4 lines deals 40% damage with knockback if the opponent has 99% or below damage
  • 4 lines deals Instant KO if the opponent has 100% or above damage
How to Clear Lines
  • I said earlier that a tetromino is made up of four blocks.
  • To clear a line, Tetris needs to line up 10 blocks in a row. Why 10? Because that's how big the playfield is in Tetris games.
  • It doesn't matter how many tetrominoes are scattered on the stage, just line up ten blocks in a row to clear a line.
  • Tetrominoes left on the stage will remain on the stage for 15 seconds before disappearing.

I guess playing as Tetris in Smash could be like playing as the actual Tetris game. That's the mindset I had when coming up with Duck Hunt Dog's moveset… that playing as Duck Hunt Dog would be like playing as the actual Duck Hunt game... which is why it has the NES Zapper shooting from the fourth wall. So that's how my just-pulled-out-of-my-@$$ moveset for Tetris came to be.

TreeChopperVillager

The Rubber Man Himself...
Switch FC
SW 1611 0712 3143
I first thought of this idea, as a joke, when I heard Duck Hunt Dog was going to be a playable character. (Though I now realize he's there so you can beat the crap out of him and vent all the anger you had lingering from childhood) I thought, "Wow DUCK HUNT somehow got into Smash? What's next a Tetris block?"

Then I got to thinking and I realized it was actually a viable idea. The way I dream it up is...the Tetris block combos hover together to make up a humanoid shape. The legs are 2 straight-shaped pieces, the pelvis is a T-shaped piece, the torso is two L-shaped pieces with the bent parts at the top to form shoulders, the arms are made of the pieces that resemble x^3 functions and -x^3 functions (I guess you could call them s-shaped or lightning bolt shaped), and lastly the head is made of a square piece. So each kind of piece is used in the build of his body. His moves would take advantage of the fact that he's made of pieces by giving extra reach like Dhalsim from Street Fighter. Maybe with his down-B move, you could even turn him upside down to change his stance (like the crazily complex Voldo), and have him walk on his hands with his legs up, giving him extended melee reach.

What do you think? Am I nuts for even thinking of this?
No joke, The Tetris Blocks could make a boss for ultimate in my opinion.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Unrelated to Smash Bros, but Tetris Friends, and all other forms of online Tetris on the web browser, are sadly shutting down on May 31, 2019. Not sure if this affects Tetromino's chances or not, but all of my alt skin suggestions came from Tetris Friends. It's also one of the most popular Tetris games, and is home to extremely high level competitive play. It's a shame, because I had great memories of playing it, and recently got back into it once I realized it was unblocked on my school laptop. It's like Club Penguin all over again.

Last edited:

OrangeJuice23

Smash Rookie
It doesn’t really feel like Tetris to me if it’s in humanoid form. You can make a full moveset with a Z block as default by having it change from block type to block type with each moveset. I know because I have. You just have to be creative.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Tetromino in Smash is something I have mixed feelings on, but do support overall. I think I'd prefer it if it was a single tetromino and not anthropomorphised in any way, just sorta sliding around like it does in the game.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i was thinking how Tetromino newcomer trailer should be like

i was thinking this being the reference on the trailer would be amazing it will start off with :ultdk: :ultbowser::ultpit::ultpeach::ultlink::ultsamus: playing music instruments of Tetris one by one then :ultmario::ultluigi: would start dancing to it then they all start to look at the sky one by one and Tetris blocks falls on each of them one by one then the splash screen shows up on the last Tetris block that fell then it shows the smash gameplay of it.

i also realized something interesting about Tetris its that it was one of the first 3rd party representation in smash in some form as far as brawl alongside :ultsonic::ultsnake: with the Tetris music being included in that game to this day but it still have yet to get a playable character.
I think in the next Smash game we are likely to see more Tetris content as there has been a progress regarding the Tetris content we got during the Smash ultimate DLC era back in 2019

However it does not stop here but I think when the official Tetris twitter posted this after Steve reveal back in 2020
They might have realized that there is an actual way that it would be possible for a playable Tetromino in a future smash game which they may never have thought of it before seeing Steve playstyle.
So I think next time Nintendo approach Tetris to include the Tetris contents in the next Smash game its gonna be more interesting
lets not forget the fact that Tetris is as in the same level as Minecraft and Mario and Pokemon which is a big deal and had alot of crossovers during its history including stars wars.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Having played Tetris Effect, at the very least we need a stage based on any of the levels from that, because damn if the art in those aren't amazing.

Alsorash

Smash Cadet
I support this idea. Like Space Invaders is a bold and unexpected choice that totally fits smash!

Top Bottom