• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Local Player Profile: North Carolina's Savestate

local-player-profile-savestate-rev1.png

Most low-tier mains have heard something along the lines of, “You’ll probably want to switch soon; he’s real bad” when telling others who they play. While such responses can be discouraging, they can also light a fire in a player, inspiring them to show their character’s true capabilities. The latter has been the case for Link main Joseph “Savestate” El-Khouri—when someone told him that he’d probably want to switch mains due to Link’s ranking, Savestate became determined to prove them wrong. Formerly known as McNuggets, Savestate joined the competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee scene in early 2015. Other players welcomed and supported him, so he brushed off the negative comments about his main. Shortly after getting involved with UNC-Asheville’s scene, Savestate began regularly attending Asheville weeklies. Seeing all of his character’s abilities ignited the self-proclaimed Link fanboy’s desire to become “the coolest Link main of all time.” He thus began studying framedata, the Melee engine and other stats to gauge Link’s potential.

14249694_1147909288581644_5492490799326224686_o.jpg

A fellow player congratulates Savestate after he won a close set at Super Smash Con 2016. Photo courtesy of Chapel Hill Melee's Facebook page

Savestate made a quick come up within the North Carolina Melee community. Shortly after his introduction to the Asheville scene, he took on the roles of community streamer and graphic designer for the Facebook group and its events. In late 2015, he managed to take a set off of a fairly well-known local Falco, Tyler “Tyro” Crews, which stirred up conversation in the North Carolina Melee Facebook group. Who the hell was this Link main? Additionally, Savestate’s streaming experience led him to create smash.LIVE, North Carolina’s premier Smash tournament streaming service, so news of his existence began travelling fast.

Geeks Stream.jpg

Savestate running the stream at NC Melee's Arcadian in 2017. Photo courtesy of Chapel Hill Melee's Facebook page.

Savestate’s first major was Super Smash Con 2016. He ended up knocking out his pool’s second seed and secured himself a spot in losers’ finals, where he faced a PR’d West Virginia Falco player to whom he’d dropped a set earlier in the bracket. This time around, though, he clutched out the set by channeling the powers of a hookshot gimp and the cheers of the North Carolina players rallying behind him.

14207637_1147909165248323_2388625628313073237_o.jpg

Savestate consoling his opponent after a close set at Super Smash Con 2016. Photo courtesy of Chapel Hill Melee's Facebook page.

Although he immediately lost his first set of round two pools, Savestate was ecstatic about his performance, shocked that he had made it so far at all—“[It] was more than I ever could have asked for.” His performance at Super Smash Con impassioned him, and he began sharing any sort of Link trick he could manage.

In early 2017, Savestate really began to make breakthroughs with his play. He made it into grand finals at a SmAsheville weekly for the first time and placed fifth out of 78 players at ETSU-Con in Johnson City, TN. He also beat a PR’d Georgia Luigi at Function(1) in Atlanta and got fourth at Star KO in Clemson. It was around this time that he began hosting weekly friendlies sessions at his apartment and contributing graphics, videos and streaming services to the greater North Carolina Melee group.

As Savestate’s love for the community grew, so did his love for his main. He continued to make technical discoveries, such as the possibilities behind chain dancing aeriels into their IASA frames and the dimensional arrow. He demonstrates Link’s strange and previously-unknown abilities in his video, Let’s Get Weird: A Link Tech Skill Demonstration, which had “an average of five hours put into each routine’s development and recording.” Throughout the year, Savestate explored the Hero of Time’s frame data and made numerous discoveries—Link’s late down-air into down-smash, jab, or up-B on shield beating shine out of shield along with a rest punish, a strategy against stalling Peach bombers and arrow stalling on Pokémon Stadium are just a few of his findings.

14138581_1147910101914896_6228158244277321018_o.jpg

The NC Melee group at Super Smash Con 2016. Photo courtesy of Chapel Hill Melee's Facebook page.

At both Super Smash Con 2017 and 2018, Savestate took tournament sets off of Josh “Fendrick Lamar” Fendrick. Shortly after Super Smash Con 2017, he started going to weeklies in Greensboro. At one of these events, Savestate and his doubles partner managed to land an infinite on Pokémon Stadium despite a transformation occurring mid-way through. All of his practice led him to taking sets off well-established local players like Chris “Bl@ckChris” Nicholas, Peyton “Kackame” Boyd, Collin "Timebones” Benoit, Chris “Tylenol” Pobee-Mensah and Weilin “Weilin” Zou.

Savestate’s insatiable thirst for knowledge once again led him to more discoveries, some of which include Link’s anti-sweetspot edge guard and bomb launching. This new tech yielded excellent bracket results: Savestate placed fifth out of 61 players at North Carolina Melee’s latest New Year’s regional along with beating Anthony “Slime” Bruno—who argued that Link is actually “pretty good” after his defeat—and having a close set with Armand “ARMY” Del Duca at Noods Noods Noods. He heard through the grapevine that even the legendary Kevin “PPMD” Nanney was impressed by the latter. It seems that Savestate is developing a tendency of impressing top players:

In February of this year, Savestate released his second video, Equipped. After unfortunately moving to a Melee deadzone, he began using Action Replay codes in order to use Link on other characters’ target tests. In April, his efforts paid off when he beat Link’s 14-year-old, 3.55 second Break the Targets record:

He plans on getting the time down to 3.50 seconds and will release a video compilation of all the target tests completed with Link.

To stay up-to-date with the latest wacky Link shenanigans, be sure to follow Savestate on Twitter and YouTube. You never know what he’ll share next, like the recently-discovered “deca-grab" or Adam “Armada” Lindgren’s frozen turnip glitch from their set at Super Smash Con 2018. Whatever it is, you won’t want to miss it.

EmaLeigh "$$$$" O'Neal

Comments

This is the story of Smash. Somebody gets determined and figures out new things, and those new things make a character better and further the knowledge of the game. Maybe Link will move up in the tier list in the long run because of this guy?

Savestate is ****ing amazing. I saw his pools match against Armada at SSC (IIRC?). Even with the frozen turnip glitch happening everywhere, he kept his composure and brought it very close against my favorite GOAT of Melee. Truly inspirational.

Keep it going, brother!

Last edited:
This story is very inspiring to those who are determined to do their best with characters that some in the community would say are terrible and should be skipped. For me, it's Charizard. For a good friend of mine, it's King Dedede. Great read!

This is so good holy cow. Thank you so much !!!! ;_____;
No, thank YOU for finding so many awesome things about Link. Link mains are few and far between, unfortunately... I refuse to play other characters in Melee because he just feels so fun.

No, thank YOU for finding so many awesome things about Link. Link mains are few and far between, unfortunately... I refuse to play other characters in Melee because he just feels so fun.
You should at least give Pikachu or Captain Falcon a try :p

You had me at "Link main". It's always amazing to see what great dedicated players can do with low tier characters. Melee top 8's are usually pretty stale being littered with Fox, Marth, Sheik and an occasional Captain Falcon here and there. Hopefully one day I can see this guy in top 8. I always love rooting for the low tier heroes.

You definitely won't see these kinds of low-tier heroes in Smash 4. Just another reason why Melee's balance is the best of the series.

You had me at "Link main". It's always amazing to see what great dedicated players can do with low tier characters. Melee top 8's are usually pretty stale being littered with Fox, Marth, Sheik and an occasional Captain Falcon here and there. Hopefully one day I can see this guy in top 8. I always love rooting for the low tier heroes.
this is objectively untrue and has been for some time

the current top 10's mains include pikachu, yoshi, jigglypuff, marth, captain falcon, fox, falco, peach, and sheik

and that's even disegarding when players like duck or abate or whatever mke top 8 as well

the current top 10's mains include pikachu, yoshi, jigglypuff, marth, captain falcon, fox, falco, peach, and sheik

and that's even disegarding when players like duck or abate or whatever mke top 8 as well
TBF, there was a long era (about 2007-2014) where it was Fox, Fox, Fox, and it defines most people's perceptions of Melee today.

But it seems that Melee players in general are diversifying in character choice quite recently.

I certainly wouldn't say that it is objectively untrue. Character diversity in Melee is still nothing compared to SSB4 and even 64 (Brawl is kind of ruled by MK unless it's a low-tier tourney) I certainly didn't mean to offend any Melee fans, I love Melee it was the game I grew up with, but I've seen enough Melee top 8's and I completely stand by my statement, and literally the only Jigglypuff and Peach players are Hbox and Armada respectively

I still think Young Link has the most potential of any mid tier to actually end up in the high tiers. Either way, I'm glad that Link has a dedicated main that's been expanding his options. Lots of characters don't have enough tournament representation.

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't say that it is objectively untrue. Character diversity in Melee is still nothing compared to SSB4 and even 64 (Brawl is kind of ruled by MK unless it's a low-tier tourney) I certainly didn't mean to offend any Melee fans, I love Melee it was the game I grew up with, but I've seen enough Melee top 8's and I completely stand by my statement, and literally the only Jigglypuff and Peach players are Hbox and Armada respectively
you evidently haven't been watching very much melee

up and comers such as michael41000 and 2saint have been flying up the ranks as far as puff goes

and players like llod, a resurgent kalamazhu, and trifasia are all chomping at the bit for that second best peach ranking

i bet if you broke down the character representation in top 8s at majors over the last year or so you'd be surprised at just how outdated many peoples opinions of melee's balance really is

This guy is amazing~ I wish I could bomb tech consistently like that! I'm really glad someone has come along to up the meta for my main Link!

Top Bottom