• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Living on the Ledge: A Ledge Options Guide for the Pits

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Through my experience with these characters and watching several Pit players at various skill levels, I’ve learned the different strengths and weaknesses of the Pits get up options. And they have a lot of options.

Get Up Attack
-Option most commonly favored by beginners
-Easy to punish by shield on it or charging a smash attack just outside of range
-Opponent can also jump or dash dance to bait it. It’s possible to hit them, just risky
-Best to use it when you’re opponent is charging too close to the ledge, or committed to anything within the attack range

Neutral Get Up
-More favored by skilled players, and skilled opponents will attempt to catch it
-Shield is the first option one usually goes for, for the overall safety. Opponents can quickly catch on and get grabby which leads to the next option
-Jab after neutral get up is a great option to punish grab, spot dodge can be used before the jab as a mix-up
-Side Special. It can be grabbed at startup, but most of the time if the opponent isn’t ready for it, this can close a stock at 110-120 with Pit and 120-130 with Dark Pit.
Grab- Catches those who shield on ledge too long, turns the tables
-Jump, roll, or any other attack may be used, but the above 3 I feel are most important

Jump Get Up
-Side Special can be used, won’t kill, safer on shield in the air than on the ground, a dash dancing or further back opponent can hard punish this option
-Aerials, mainly Dair and Nair can be used from jump to catch people off-gaurd when they try to catch the jump a little too late. Dair hits opponents beneath more while Nair has faster startup and catches opponents in front better.
-Air dodge. Haven’t extensively tested this yet but it’s an option for sure.
Down Special- Don’t use this that often, needs more testing
Bow- For opponent extensively dashing or far away

Drop Down
-It’s covered in depth in Izaw Smash training guide for Smash Ultimate, use that to learn the inputs
-Using Fair to get on stage is the most common, and overall a solid choice
-Nair can be used for faster startup
-You can hold away instead of down to pull of a Bair, when it connects at decent percentage they’re flying, this option doesn’t put you onstage though so it’s dangerous to whiff
-Uair can be used as well, its applications don’t seem very useful though in comparison to Bair, and Get Up Attack. It doesn’t put you on the stage but you can get on sooner than Bair

Roll- Mix Up Option, easily punishable if the opponent is prepared, not really if they’re looking to catch the variety of other options

That’s my Ledge Trap Guide for the Pits, feel free to teach me any other get up options I’ve missed or useful applications of ones I’ve listed.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried the Rolling Get Up option then immediately using Side-Special? In my limited experience it can sometimes be effective for reversing a situation or even netting a KO when the opponent isn't expecting it, especially with Dark-Pit.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried the Rolling Get Up option then immediately using Side-Special? In my limited experience it can sometimes be effective for reversing a situation or even netting a KO when the opponent isn't expecting it, especially with Dark-Pit.
Yes, works sometimes due to side Special Ledge cancel. Still not safe if they expect it, but a decent option if you’re desperate. Honestly, using side Special seems to just signal desperation for a kill. The move has such bad downsides the only thing it’s decent at is killing, which in Pit’s case it’s not even decent unless you’re facing lightweights. ‘The Patch Sucks’ thread makes more sense to the skeptical if they start to understand these problems. It’s not Pit only either. Several characters have awful moves that need reworks, like PP aerials, Little Mac recovery, Zelda aerial lag, Sheik damage output, Diddy Kong recovery, and more.

Last edited:

Vistra31

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vistra9000
3DS FC
4038-6222-6181
Switch FC
SW-2087-0604-7226
There's a couple drop down options. Here's my rank from best to worst.
Fair: Good for mid range from ledge.
Nair: Good for close range from ledge. Possible combo starter.
Uair: Good for defensive option from ledge. Doesn't regrab ledge so you'll need to jump.
Drop down jump away Upperdash for thirsty people who want you dead.
Dair: Good for close range from ledge as a possible mixup.

Still a solid option to mix up your ledge recoveries though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom