• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Live Streaming Q&A

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Hi everyone, sup? Undoubtedly, streaming is what digital media with video games is all about now. It's about pushing your 30 person tournament to having 200 spectators and your 500 person tournament to having 10,000 spectators! Not to mention with live streaming often comes production value, commentary, all the works. While it is going you, most programs also offer simultaneous recording/archiving, so you can be recording while you stream, perfect for YouTube so people can watch later.

I have extensive knowledge about live streaming and video production. I've been live streaming my tournaments since 2008 with no signs of slowing down, and improving every single stream I do. I've also been studying various aspects of digital media since as early as 2001, and want to share my knowledge with all of you.

In helping boost the onslaught of streaming in the competitive gaming community, I will be writing a full fledged guide to streaming... soonish. I need to do a little more research and it will be a long process anyway. In the meantime, I want to do some Q&A. Help you guys out with what you have problems with.

So go ahead, ask some questions. Anything related to streaming video games actually. It doesn't have to be just Smash, I also often stream from HD consoles and have done some PC streams as well. Smash may be the general focus here (Smashboards!) but I'm open to anything. Ask away, and I'll try to answer it in detail promptly.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Just a quick question, but, where did you get the picture for the header/set count for your stream?

I've noticed that you used the same one for a while now, and it used to be a transparent black, similar to Jaxel's. Just want to know if you got a template somewhere and integrated it into your stream, or made it yourself in Photoshop, as I would like to make one for my stream.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The background image seen there is made in Paint Shop Pro (Photoshop clone that I prefer, same thing basically). I then take that image and use Jaxel's Xsplit panel writer to put the text on it and update it during the tournament. It's also split into three different images, one for the bottom stuff, one for score, one for top stuff. For instance, here is the blank image without text for the bottom stuff before the panel writer makes good work of it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10362936/match.png

Roxas M

Smash Master
Ah, I see. I have panel writer myself, but I just didn't know if everyone custom made their images for it, or used a main template and just edited it. Most of one ones I see on streams now and days look similar, haha.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
i said this in the other thread but i have a recording setup (dazzle). how do streaming?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Sorry, but I would prefer to only answer somewhat more specific questions before delving into making a full guide. All I can say now is that you should look up tutorials for using Xsplit and learn that program to stream with it.

Atrain

Smash Cadet
As I'm new to recording/streaming from consoles, I was wondering if it matters which capture card I use?

I've been researching the ones used here, but there are so many from the low end EasyCAP to the high end Dazzle.

Does the type of capture card used matter when it comes to streaming?

joY

Pot splitter
I'm looking to upgrade my streaming set-up right now and have a few questions.

Is there a noticeable difference in on-stream quality when switching from the Wii composite to the Wii component cables?

I am currently using a DVC170 which was sufficient for streaming my NES/SNES etc (where 30 frames was sufficient), but now I would like to reliably run a 480p @ 60 frames set-up.

Also, I would like to use my laptop (for tournaments, mobility and so on) so most internal and USB 3.0A/B capture cards are out of the question.

Can I just get a PVR and stream Smash at 480p / 60 frames with composite cables?

I hope this was specific enough.

Boxman X

Smash Ace
Look here steakhead, I didn't ask for your 2 bit
As I'm new to recording/streaming from consoles, I was wondering if it matters which capture card I use?

I've been researching the ones used here, but there are so many from the low end EasyCAP to the high end Dazzle.

Does the type of capture card used matter when it comes to streaming?
Just trying to get the information out there.

VGBootCamp, Chibo and I use the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle

When I first bought an EasyCAP in 2009 it was nothing but a hassle to get it to work right and look good so I don't have much experience with how far drivers/quality have come since then. I've used a Dazzle and I'd say that it's a fine capture device for the quality you get. The quality of the capture device used when streaming really just comes from how the device handles 360p/480i and in the case of BMIS, 480p+

If you can get good enough quality out of an EasyCAP or Dazzle you already have, you won't get much better quality unless you spend $160+ on a Intensity Shuttle.

I'm looking to upgrade my streaming set-up right now and have a few questions.

Is there a noticeable difference in on-stream quality when switching from the Wii composite to the Wii component cables?

I am currently using a DVC170 which was sufficient for streaming my NES/SNES etc (where 30 frames was sufficient), but now I would like to reliably run a 480p @ 60 frames set-up.

Also, I would like to use my laptop (for tournaments, mobility and so on) so most internal and USB 3.0A/B capture cards are out of the question.

Can I just get a PVR and stream Smash at 480p / 60 frames with composite cables?

I hope this was specific enough.
I replied to you in the other thread that you posted the same question, but I'll offer a comparison of the two video formats. These were during tournament streams.

360p Composite

vs

480p Component

The first was a local recording and the second was uploaded straight from Twitch.tv

joY

Pot splitter
Haha yeah I saw that. I've moved in a different direction since, but thanks!

Top Bottom