• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little momentum glitch with Villager

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxSus62xQI&list=UUp7r5nfUmSwG5Rym0dnlEhg

This video was posted on GameFAQs not too long ago. Pretty much:

1. Throw an item that you can hold in your hand OFF OF THE STAGE IN EITHER DIRECTION
2. Quickly spawn Lloid in EITHER direction
3. Ride Lloid and jump off AT ANY TIME THAT YOU DARN WELL PLEASE, SO LONG AS IT IS BEFORE THE THROWN ITEM HITS A PLATFORM, CHARACTER, OR THE BLAST LINES OF THE STAGE

When you jump off you will travel in the direction that the item was thrown, regardless of whichever direction you ride Lloid.
As you can see, he went much farther backwards getting off Lloid than you're supposed to. What do you guys think of this? Any useful applications? I might be able to see it as a quick escape to the ledge.

Last edited:

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
I found out about this and his DACUS today. It was a good day. I think you might need this once every 1000 battles, but the point is, when you do need it, we'll know how to do it. Thanks for the info!

Hahaha holy **** it looks like Bouncing Fish

Anyway for some reason I can get it to work if I'm ejecting to the left, but not if I want to eject to the right.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Was about to make this topic but was beaten.

Its alright though, because I have done some testing and know more about this glitch:

1. Throw an item that you can hold in your hand OFF OF THE STAGE IN EITHER DIRECTION
2. Quickly spawn Lloid in EITHER direction
3. Ride Lloid and jump off AT ANY TIME THAT YOU DARN WELL PLEASE, SO LONG AS IT IS BEFORE THE THROWN ITEM HITS A PLATFORM, CHARACTER, OR THE BLAST LINES OF THE STAGE

When you jump off you will travel in the direction that the item was thrown, regardless of whichever direction you ride Lloid.

Hope this helps. :)

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Good stuff @ kyoskue kyoskue ! I went ahead and updated the OP with your info.

Thanks for testing this further. I guess the only reason I had to do this glitch so fast is because I always threw the item right at the edge lol.

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
Yo OP here, made a smashboards account like all the cool kids.
Nice to see someone figured out the specifics of this. I just wonder if anyone will actually get a use out of it in competitive play. If not oh well, at least Villager can pretend to be Sheik.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Yo OP here, made a smashboards account like all the cool kids.
Nice to see someone figured out the specifics of this. I just wonder if anyone will actually get a use out of it in competitive play. If not oh well, at least Villager can pretend to be Sheik.
Well, it definitely has some potential, seeing that it can be used in any match because the tree can leave a chunk of wood that the glitch can make use of.
Its also more useful than it could've been seeing that you can use it in either direction regardless of direction/height thrown.

I personally see some potential team shenanigans where Villager uses it to purposefully land on a character's spring recovery via Pac-Man/Sonic/Mega Man or to land behind a Shield Orbitar using Dark/Pit or a similar walling character.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It isnt TOO useful, but that might just come in handy XP Also not that hard to pull off, too bad it has to be done so quickly.

p0t.3nt

Smash Rookie
You could perhaps use this to position yourself behind a tree, provided you planted another one and pocketed the wood from the first Timber. A great many of the people I've faced will go great lengths to try and punish my dropping off the Lloid. If you chop the second tree and use the glitch as bait, you could use the glitch to set up a second chop. I can't say this would at all be effective, but it's a thought and something to play around with. Good find

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Well, it definitely has some potential, seeing that it can be used in any match because the tree can leave a chunk of wood that the glitch can make use of.
Its also more useful than it could've been seeing that you can use it in either direction regardless of direction/height thrown.

I personally see some potential team shenanigans where Villager uses it to purposefully land on a character's spring recovery via Pac-Man/Sonic/Mega Man or to land behind a Shield Orbitar using Dark/Pit or a similar walling character.
I concur. This is pretty damn dope for spacing particularly, especially for planting a new tree.

Tusca

Smash Rookie
Is this glitch still present? I wasn't able to perform it so I thought maybe it was patched

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Is this glitch still present? I wasn't able to perform it so I thought maybe it was patched
I'm not 100% certain its still in after the Wii U's 8-player stage update, I s'pose I can check in a few minutes.

Edit:
Its still in, I checked it very thoroughly.
To see it yourself:
-Go into Training Mode and select an Omega stage (it doesn't HAVE to be an Omega stage, but pick one just so that there's a 0% chance of the thrown item landing on a ledge or whatever).
-Stand near the center of the stage and spawn a Capsule.
-Jump and throw the Capsule to either side.
-Before the Capsule hits one of the stage's blast lines, activate and jump off of Lloid Rocket.
-----
If you follow the above then the Villager will pop off of Lloid with additional momentum in the direction that the Capsule was thrown, allowing you some extra spacing options in certain circumstances.
Please note that the item DOES NOT have to be a Capsule, it can be any regular item that is thrown with A (Pokéball, Masterball, Smoke Ball, most explosive items).
Just to better document this, I will now check with some of the more unique items. BRB.

Edit:
Okay, so here're some specifics:
-The momentum added to the Villager's fall is based on the speed of the thrown item. This means that most explosive items, Monballs, Freezie, etc. are probably the best items to throw, compared to something slow like the Fire Flower. This also means that "Smash Throwing" is better than a light toss.
-The thrown items CAN touch down on the ground, so long as they continue their momentum, like the bounce of a tossed Baseball Bat.
-The Bumper and non-dud Smart Bombs stop/explode too quickly for them to work.
-Unira and a few other items fall very fast and require you to throw the item and jump off of Lloid from very high in the air to be used at all.
-The ground momentum of Rolling Crates, Barrels, and Hotheads activate the glitch at all times. This means that for the entire duration that a Hothead is sliding around the stage that you can pull off the glitch, although its momentum will change depending on whether its currently heading left or right. For some reason Bombchu do not.
-Even a crate tossed casually over the edge will activate the glitch if done fast enough.

I'm now going to see if it works with throwing players and reflected items, as well as procketed projectiles.

Edit:
-MOST character projectiles DO NOT work, they do not activate the glitch.
-Character-specific items such as Link's Bombs, Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit, and Peach's Turnips DO work.
-Reflected items no longer count as yours, and thus do not activate the glitch.
-Thrown characters do not work.
-Galaga and the Boomerang work but are very weird, as their current momentum when jumping off of Lloid is what matters. This means that you can throw the Boomerang one way but ride its momentum in the opposite direction because of its return path. It also means that you can leap off of Lloid when Galaga starts chasing a character to beam them away and you'll get the glitch to happen from that as well, but not from when its just floating there.

So, if you just want to see it, do my first point at the top, but substitute the Capsule for a Hothead.
Hope this helps people. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This technique could be really useful! And even easier to pull off in certain matchups! You can use the momentum to somehow glide forward or back, gliding forward can give your opponent a gyroid to deal with as you escape to the ledge or just get some space, and the glide forward can act as a substitute to a roll or set you up perfectly for a follow up after your opponent gets hit with the gyroid!
This tech could seriously be amazing, after pulling it off and experimenting with it in training mode I know Im ganna try to utilize this in some matches, it's too stylish not to!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This technique could be really useful! And even easier to pull off in certain matchups! You can use the momentum to somehow glide forward or back, gliding forward can give your opponent a gyroid to deal with as you escape to the ledge or just get some space, and the glide forward can act as a substitute to a roll or set you up perfectly for a follow up after your opponent gets hit with the gyroid!
This tech could seriously be amazing, after pulling it off and experimenting with it in training mode I know Im ganna try to utilize this in some matches, it's too stylish not to!
I think you're overrating it. It earns style points, but due to the fact it puts you in special fall, its mostly situational, at best.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I think you're overrating it. It earns style points, but due to the fact it puts you in special fall, its mostly situational, at best.
Well of course it's situational, most things are, I don't recommend just throwing this out often, but it could be a great surprise, and...yeah, I'm very into the stylish stuff. But after landing a gyroid it can be difficult to follow up at higher percents. I need to try to utilize this in actual fights, but getting that momentum boost and landing nearly as your opponent gets hopefully hit, you should be in a great position to follow up and get the kill!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well of course it's situational, most things are, I don't recommend just throwing this out often, but it could be a great surprise, and...yeah, I'm very into the stylish stuff. But after landing a gyroid it can be difficult to follow up at higher percents. I need to try to utilize this in actual fights, but getting that momentum boost and landing nearly as your opponent gets hopefully hit, you should be in a great position to follow up and get the kill!
Maybe this can work with trip sapling for positioning.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Maybe this can work with trip sapling for positioning.
Sure, I believe it could be used in a number of creative ways. Maybe you can use pushy lyoid and propel yourself forward and then be able to follow up while your opponent is still being pushed behind you. I want to test it, but I'm at college right now... I can only imagine you could definitely follow up with slingshot but maybe a smash or grab too? And I wonder how lift-off lyoid would effect things. And if it works based on the item's momentum after you through it, id love to see what happens after throwing ...what was it...one of Pac-Man's custom fruits, was it lazy or the other? But when you throw the ship it spins around and around for a while. Would Villager be stuck in midair spinning? Maybe not, but what if? :D

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Sure, I believe it could be used in a number of creative ways. Maybe you can use pushy lyoid and propel yourself forward and then be able to follow up while your opponent is still being pushed behind you. I want to test it, but I'm at college right now... I can only imagine you could definitely follow up with slingshot but maybe a smash or grab too? And I wonder how lift-off lyoid would effect things. And if it works based on the item's momentum after you through it, id love to see what happens after throwing ...what was it...one of Pac-Man's custom fruits, was it lazy or the other? But when you throw the ship it spins around and around for a while. Would Villager be stuck in midair spinning? Maybe not, but what if? :D
HAHA if it worked with Pacman's fruit, I'd be rolling on the floor laughing, lol.

Like the bell, he jumps from the lloid, then just freezes in midair for a couple of seconds.

IDK if it works with character projectiles tho. >:

Also DOES it work with other lloids? O.o

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
HAHA if it worked with Pacman's fruit, I'd be rolling on the floor laughing, lol.

Like the bell, he jumps from the lloid, then just freezes in midair for a couple of seconds.

IDK if it works with character projectiles tho. >:

Also DOES it work with other lloids? O.o
I haven't checked with Pac-Man's alternate Fruits, but I can guarantee that Villager spinning in place would NOT happen.

The only momentum that matters is what is happening AS you jump off of Lloid.
If the item is going left then you will go left, right and you will got right. Up and down vertical item momentum do not affect the exploit either.
The only thing that the spinning ship bonus Fruit would accomplish is randomness:
You'd have approximately a 25% chance of either having forward or backward momentum (50% total) and a 50% chance of having no momentum change while the ship loops up or downward.

@ Darklink401 Darklink401 , projectiles that become grabbable items (Link's Bomb, Peach's Turnip, Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit, possibly others) DO work.
I also haven't checked the alternate Lloids with this yet, its possible that they are affected by the glitch differently.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I haven't checked with Pac-Man's alternate Fruits, but I can guarantee that Villager spinning in place would NOT happen.

The only momentum that matters is what is happening AS you jump off of Lloid.
If the item is going left then you will go left, right and you will got right. Up and down vertical item momentum do not affect the exploit either.
The only thing that the spinning ship bonus Fruit would accomplish is randomness:
You'd have approximately a 25% chance of either having forward or backward momentum (50% total) and a 50% chance of having no momentum change while the ship loops up or downward.

@ Darklink401 Darklink401 , projectiles that become grabbable items (Link's Bomb, Peach's Turnip, Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit, possibly others) DO work.
I also haven't checked the alternate Lloids with this yet, its possible that they are affected by the glitch differently.
Aww, so it only affects left and right?

Is it always the same amount, or does it differ by item?

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
The 12th post in this topic goes into more detail about it, but basically the speed of the tossed item changes the amount of momentum that the Villager gains.
For example, "Smash" throwing a Bob-Omb will affect your momentum significantly more than if you had lightly tossed a Fire Flower.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
What stages have people found this most useful?
I doubt that there's any real hard data, but I will say this:
The glitch is more useful on stages with a variety of different features, especially moving platforms. On stages like Town and City and Smashville you can use the glitch to land on the moving platforms, and also transforming stages like Pokémon Stadium 2.

Besides that, its easier to pull off in team matches where you and your partner can rely on each other. Its easiest to pull off in matches with items on, although if Link/Toon Link/ Peach/Mega Man are in the match then you can make use of their Bombs/Turnips/Metal Blade to pull off the glitch pretty easily.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I doubt that there's any real hard data, but I will say this:
The glitch is more useful on stages with a variety of different features, especially moving platforms. On stages like Town and City and Smashville you can use the glitch to land on the moving platforms, and also transforming stages like Pokémon Stadium 2.

Besides that, its easier to pull off in team matches where you and your partner can rely on each other. Its easiest to pull off in matches with items on, although if Link/Toon Link/ Peach/Mega Man are in the match then you can make use of their Bombs/Turnips/Metal Blade to pull off the glitch pretty easily.
Or you can use your trusty timber :D

I imagine Metal blade would be super good for this tho.

kyoskue

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyoskue
3DS FC
4468-0977-7278
Or you can use your trusty timber :D

I imagine Metal blade would be super good for this tho.
Yes, using it in conjunction with Timber should work fine, but having a teammate should help with settling it up considerably.

As for Metal Blade, it vanishes kind of quickly and I haven't checked it out yet, but in theory it should work alright. Don't forget that if you're going to try doing this that you can make use of Pocket to use your regular attacks for a bit before pulling the item back out to attempt it.

Top Bottom