• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Wall Jump

ShadowsAsgard95

Smash Rookie
Have you ever found yourself jumping off a wall after using your second jump with Mac? It happened to me some times, and Nairo did it at the Grand Finals of the last TLOC 3DS Tournament, at minute 6.31 (I can't post the video because I don't have enough message, though you can write "little mac wall jump" and there's a low quality video of less than 2 minutes that shows it)

The question is, how the hell do I do that? I tried so many times but nothing happened... Do I have to time the jump at the same exact moment I touch the wall? :v

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Wall Jumping DOES NOT REQUIRE a jump input at all. Simply push away from a wall when you are adjacent from it, and characters that can wall jump, will. It does not matter if you have any midair jumps remaining or not, but if you wall jump while you still have a jump remaining, you will retain that jump. In short, wall jumps have nothing to do with Midair jumps.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
It's weird that he even can. He's supposed to have an awful air game, and he doesn't jump in his own games at all for the most part except hopping in celebration an a very small hop for the Star Punch.
So why wall jumping?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Only Sakurai knows why he chooses to give characters the tools he gives them. If you're asking me to speculate:

1) Mac is meant to reward skill, and wall jumping is has always been considered a skillful and useful tactic, well suited for a character like Little Mac. His recovery options aren't stellar, but this creates some unique situations where he gets an extra tool to work with. It's still far from giving him a major recovery buff though, but it at least helps him play the game on stages with walls, just for the purpose of traversing.

2) Little Mac is a not a wrestler, but he plays in an arena similar to a wrestler, and it is common for wrestlers to be seen jumping off of things, so it somewhat fits his theme.

3) From a physical perspective, Little Mac should be able to wall jump. He's a strong, fit, physically endowed, humanoid character.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I find that Wall Jump + side B towards the stage is the best way to save a vertically-falling Little Mac, who usually struggles (as Mac's side B is better than his up-B for recovery)

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Walljump to sweetspotted Up B is Mac's safest recovery option overall, and it can be done from as deep as the magnifying glass on Omega stages with the right timing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Dude's pretty athletic. If anyone could walljump, I'd expect it to be him.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Mac's UpB is a better tool that his SideB for recovery at higher levels of play. I avoid using Jolt Haymaker at all costs, including recovery, only as a serious mindgame mix-up.
Doesn't his side B take him further though?

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
Wall Jumping DOES NOT REQUIRE a jump input at all. Simply push away from a wall when you are adjacent from it, and characters that can wall jump, will. It does not matter if you have any midair jumps remaining or not, but if you wall jump while you still have a jump remaining, you will retain that jump. In short, wall jumps have nothing to do with Midair jumps.
Thanks for this, I was unsure if I could retain the jump. This will help my recovery

Top Bottom