• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Tutorial/Why You're "Fixing" Him Wrong

signor

Smash Rookie
This is a Little Mac Tutorial for people who want to get into him but don't know where to start. I feel that other people don't understand his character and use him correctly.

Little Mac is like the anti-Peach. Peach's moveset gives her incredible air control and aerials. Little Mac's moveset is similar but revolves around his groundplay the most. The one difference is that Peach's ground moves are all used to get the opponent in the air, where she wants them. Little Mac's aerials almost do this. You can use some of his aerials to lock an opponent on their way down and follow up with a grounded move once you land. Most people who want to "fix" Little Mac just completely redo his moveset. This is the wrong way to go. ONE buff can save him. Make his aerials come out faster. This makes moves like Nair, Fair and Bair way more viable for locking opponents. Uair would benefit the most from this. If Little Mac is on a stage that has platforms, and an opponent is on one of these platforms, his only two options are to Up Smash or Uair from underneath. These options are still bad and rarely help, but are the only moves that wouldn't be punishable.

Now for some tutorials on moves that you may be misusing.

Neutral Special: A lot of people will disregard this move, but I think it's incredibly good. Pay attention to the aura around Little Mac's fist. It will change colors from blue, to purple and finally to red, before punching. If the aura is blue or purple you can cancel out of the move with Shield, Roll, Spot Dodge or even grab. You can also hold the opposite direction to change the direction of your punch. The range on this move is incredible too. Think of it like a Falcon Punch or Warlock Punch but with 10x the range and almost no commitment.
Side Special: There are two versions of this move, a long version, and a short version. If you press B again after jumping you can punch faster and cut the move short. This is incredibly useful since you will not always have perfect spacing. This move is also integral to your recovery. Also a good kill move.
Up Special: This move is better than people give it credit for. It does suck as a recovery but a lot of people don't know that you can angle it. Very slightly, but enough to make a difference. If you input this move and then immediately hold to the left or right you will move in that direction WHILE RISING which will help tons with recovery and killing. Oh, did I mention that this is a kill move? An insanely good one at that. When used off the ground you go almost twice as high as you would when used off stage. This makes moves like UTilt kill confirm into it. It also covers slight DI since you can slightly angle the move.
Down Special: It's just a simple counter. I wouldn't recommend throwing this out too much but if you sit at the ledge you can mess up an opponents recovery if their Up Special has a hitbox.
K.O. Punch: You can get the K.O. Punch by either taking damage or damaging your opponent. Your opponent can knock it out of you so be careful. Honestly, I think it's better to get this knocked out than to whiff it. If you miss off stage, you die. This sucks even harder because the move has a smaller hitbox when you're not on the ground. Grounded K.O. Punch is the way to go. Especially since you have many moves that will combo into it.
FTilt: This is an amazing move for poking at shields. Also has outstanding range.
UTilt: One of Little Mac's best moves. You can chain these together at lower percents and, at higher percents, get kill confirms off of like Up-B.
DTilt: This is extremely useful at high percent. It kill confirms into K.O. Punch and Side Special. Also a good poking move/out of shield move.
UAir: If you play on a stage with platforms, this move is your best friend. When an opponent is above you on a platform, UAir is pretty much your only safe move. Good for pressuring and if you happen to land it you can follow up with Up-B and possibly get a kill. Just make sure you practice short hop fast falling with it.
NAir: This move is one of his better aerials, even though it only does 2%. It is very fast and locks the opponent in place if they are airborne. It's like a jab-lock in air if you catch them with it. Very useful to spam this move until you hit the ground, and then follow up on it. Also worth noting that UTilt combos into it.
DThrow/UThrow: Your go-to throws. These will combo into pretty much everything. One of my favorite things to do is to DThrow into UTilt into air-locking with NAir. You can chain that for a while before they start to get out of it.

TLDR: Read Neutral Special, Up Special, UAir and NAir.

Also my boys made a band called For Sure! I love them and their music. So epic. You should really listen to this bro. They got an album in the works and I love them all to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TdTlSbJDf4

Top Bottom