• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Q and A You got questions I have answers!

D

Deleted member

I expect this to be on a cringey title list
But I'm pretty sure I am one of the only if not the only active Little Mac main so if you have questions I will answer them

D

Deleted member

My brother says "Little Mac is the best". What's the best way to murder, and how do I get away with one?

That was just a joke, what I actually want to know is what's the best way to fight a Lucas

D

Deleted member

My brother says "Little Mac is the best". What's the best way to murder, and how do I get away with one?

That was just a joke, what I actually want to know is what's the best way to fight a Lucas
According to my analyzation the best way to play against Lucas is to stay in his face and do not let him space you with projectiles running up and throwing up a upsmash proved the most effective I next tested this on Battlefield and Omega stages Battlefield made it a little bit easier to stay in his face because of all the platforms and if Lucas does end up in the air stay on the ground and avoid what he throws at you something a bit more psychologically stationed is if he is under a platform hang on there for a second and then hop off chances are he will up smash a move with insane startup lag so go to the edge of the platform go down through it and punish accordingly probably with up smash also a really good combo that's not very talked about probably because the lack of Little Mac mains a guaranteed combo is down thrown to up B on an Omega stage it kills at 111% in a Battlefield stage the lowest platforms it kills at 96%, these numbers might sound underwhelming but here's the Whopper on the tallest platform it kills at 69% and it's guaranteed it's pretty ridiculous tbh its a pretty good tool to keep him from trying to fight you on a top Platform

Omega is pretty much the same thing getting in his face and it becomes way easier to cancel Dash into Up smash because he can't Retreat onto a platform

That took longer to write than i wish to admit lol hope i helped!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

According to my analyzation the best way to play against Lucas is to stay in his face and do not let him space you with projectiles running up and throwing up a upsmash proved the most effective I next tested this on Battlefield and Omega stages Battlefield made it a little bit easier to stay in his face because of all the platforms and if Lucas does end up in the air stay on the ground and avoid what he throws at you something a bit more psychologically stationed is if he is under a platform hang on there for a second and then hop off chances are he will up smash a move with insane startup lag so go to the edge of the platform go down through it and punish accordingly probably with up smash also a really good combo that's not very talked about probably because the lack of Little Mac mains a guaranteed combo is down thrown to up B on an Omega stage it kills at 111% in a Battlefield stage the lowest platforms it kills at 96%, these numbers might sound underwhelming but here's the Whopper on the tallest platform it kills at 69% and it's guaranteed it's pretty ridiculous tbh its a pretty good tool to keep him from trying to fight you on a top Platform

Omega is pretty much the same thing getting in his face and it becomes way easier to cancel Dash into Up smash because he can't Retreat onto a platform

That took longer to write than i wish to admit lol hope i helped!!
I'm going to be 100% honest with you, I'm using this to beat my brother (plays Lil. Mac), and now I (Lucas main) know what to do against him, thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to be 100% honest with you, I'm using this to beat my brother (plays Lil. Mac), and now I (Lucas main) know what to do against him, thanks for the help!
So you told him my advice and you're deliberately countering it or are you taking a shot at me?

D

Deleted member

So you told him my advice and you're deliberately countering it or are you taking a shot at me?
oh yeah, I would have to tell him that to counter it...

How to be smart and think ahead 101

Norkim

Smash Rookie
I have a kind of an open-ended set of questions:

1. What would you say are the most essential things to know as a Little Mac main? I.e. the fact that the whole defensive strategy of shielding and punishing is severed I've heard people on the Little Mac discord say that his play style is completely different... So I'm not sure how much I should try to leave behind from experience in Sm4sh.

2. What are the best tools for neutral and in general how do you play a good neutral as Little Mac?

3. Let's be frank, Little Mac's combo game has dropped off hardcore, but even so what are some bread and butter must-know true combos?

Please take your time with your responses and thank you in advance for your time, Badrat sir!

D

Deleted member

I have a kind of an open-ended set of questions:

1. What would you say are the most essential things to know as a Little Mac main? I.e. the fact that the whole defensive strategy of shielding and punishing is severed I've heard people on the Little Mac discord say that his play style is completely different... So I'm not sure how much I should try to leave behind from experience in Sm4sh.

2. What are the best tools for neutral and in general how do you play a good neutral as Little Mac?

3. Let's be frank, Little Mac's combo game has dropped off hardcore, but even so what are some bread and butter must-know true combos?

Please take your time with your responses and thank you in advance for your time, Badrat sir!
Yes I was taking my time and definitely not slacking off
Question 1 answer I assumed your asking how different Little Mac plays Smash 4 you just kind of rolled with the punches [no pun intended] and punished when they make mistakes in ultimate he is probably the second most techie characters Most is Olimar
He feels actually a lot like a boxer Guard punch guard punch it honestly feels like 3 stock or be 3 stocked honestly sometimes it feels like I'm living life on the run something different from Smash 4 to ultimate is you need to be so aggressive if you're not pushing that joy stick right or left you're not doing it right

2. Jabs tilts and smash attacks are all REALLY good the only one i wouldn't use is down smash its fine on its own but pretty out classed Usmash Juggling and Jab1 ledge intercepting standing at the ledge and jabbing extends your arm slightly over the ledge so people with recoveries they can get hit out of like King k rool the Animal Crossing crew and Snake to name a few also Forward tilt carrying is a thing probably will make a post going really in debt with this type of stuff

3. combos hmmmmmm.... Down throw to up B is all i use kills nice and early i have calculations and how early for Lucas in an earlier post on this thread I guess you can call up smash juggling a combo as one as i said in the answer to question 1 just beat him senseless strategically until you launch them to there death so little mac doesn't really need combos tbh

So hope a helped

And K Kiechi maybe..

Norkim

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much Badrat, this really did help a lot! I would like to know more about this techy side of Mac, as this is the first I'm really hearing that so I'd like to know what more I could do. Are you talking about stuff like Straight Lunge Canceling to get to the ground or absorb damage with the heavy armor? Because that's really the only tech I can recall using with my boy L Mac... And from what I can tell Gazelle Punch doesn't work on stages universally so that's out of the picture imo. I look forward to your response!

(P.S. You've played in tournaments -- I remember seeing your name -- but can you direct me to some of your smultimate gameplay??? I don't get useful results when I Google "Badrat Smash Ultimate" :c )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thank you so much Badrat, this really did help a lot! I would like to know more about this techy side of Mac, as this is the first I'm really hearing that so I'd like to know what more I could do. Are you talking about stuff like Straight Lunge Canceling to get to the ground or absorb damage with the heavy armor? Because that's really the only tech I can recall using with my boy L Mac... And from what I can tell Gazelle Punch doesn't work on stages universally so that's out of the picture imo. I look forward to your response!

(P.S. You've played in tournaments -- I remember seeing your name -- but can you direct me to some of your smultimate gameplay??? I don't get useful results when I Google "Badrat Smash Ultimate" :c )
Hm weird i have never actually played in a organized tourney but when i have a extended amount of time i wll put together a in depth analysis of little mac so be looking for it!!!

Norkim

Smash Rookie
Hmm I thought I heard your name before watching something... I might be misremembering then. Lol now I look dumb!

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Feel kind of stupid asking this, but I have no clue.

Against a K. Rool, if your opponet stands at the edge of theplatform and just holds the vacuum, is there a way to approach that dosen't punish you? It happens all the time against K. Rool that they just stand there sucking away and I can't find a way to get in.

D

Deleted member

Feel kind of stupid asking this, but I have no clue.

Against a K. Rool, if your opponet stands at the edge of theplatform and just holds the vacuum, is there a way to approach that dosen't punish you? It happens all the time against K. Rool that they just stand there sucking away and I can't find a way to get in.
If your referring to his linear recovery unfortunately not really but they severely nerf his ability to do that usually to avoid it you go over it but Little mac can't do that and he can't stall his recovery to wait it out but I think a correctly placed air dodge can maybe get away from it while snapping the ledge but Side b unless precisely paralleled with the ledge will always get swallowed up.
So pretty much no...

TheRocan64

Smash Cadet
1: What are the properties of the 3 variations of FSmash?
2: Uses for Little Mac's arieals?

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
If your referring to his linear recovery unfortunately not really but they severely nerf his ability to do that usually to avoid it you go over it but Little mac can't do that and he can't stall his recovery to wait it out but I think a correctly placed air dodge can maybe get away from it while snapping the ledge but Side b unless precisely paralleled with the ledge will always get swallowed up.
So pretty much no...
Actually not quite his recovery (although thats a problem too.) More like a K.Rool can just hang out by the ledge, even if you are center stage and hold his neutral b and suck away nonstop. There seems to be no way to deal with this and the King Rool player can just keep this up and run the clock.

D

Deleted member

Actually not quite his recovery (although thats a problem too.) More like a K.Rool can just hang out by the ledge, even if you are center stage and hold his neutral b and suck away nonstop. There seems to be no way to deal with this and the King Rool player can just keep this up and run the clock.
That's what I'm saying his recovery is what let's that happen

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
I am also a Little Mac main. I'm kind of new to Smash Bros., but I'm getting good. I was just wondering how to do gooder when I'm playing. Also, what tier would you think he is?

P.S. A pretty good combo at low %s is probably d-tilt, d-tilt, up-b.

Ryoksos

Smash Rookie
1: What are the properties of the 3 variations of FSmash?
2: Uses for Little Mac's arieals?
1. The down-tilted FSmash does quite a bit more damage than non-tilted or up-tilted but does very little knockback. The non-tilted FSmash does an average amount of knockback and damage and that knockback is more to the side than anywhere else. And the up-tilted FSmash does the same damage as the non-tilted variation, it just does quite a bit of knockback and that knockback is directed nearly straight up. Plus you might decide to do different variations because of their different hitboxes; for example, they're above you and although you'd rather send them to the side with a non-tilted FSmash, the hitbox won't hit them unless you tilt the FSmash upward.
2. They're relatively useless. You can use them to try to beat out other people's aerials in a pinch if you don't have many options, or you could use them to do an attack with little knockback if you want to keep the opponent close, for say, a combo. Or you could use them if they aren't approaching and they're staying in the air and attacking you from above or something and you want to quickly poke them for some reason. Honestly, the biggest possible use I can see for them is really just a mix-up. Even then, try to do your best with what you have, but don't rely on them being good moves.

Last edited:

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
dtilt can combo into a Fair at mid % (40-60 sometimes you can get it at 80 with bad on a heavy), witch in Turn can tech chase, and if mac gets a tech chase its a free fsmash
Dair and Nair can both jablock should the situation arise (like out of down fsmash)
mashing nair can *sometimes* combo break, but up-B is more reliable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom