• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of which games can transfer to each other?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
So I have found myself craving some nostalga.. and Pokemon has come to mind. I have not played anything post generation 1 so please assume I know nothing.

Is there a list of which games can transfer to which others? (If you are willing please include game names, as generation blank would be something that I wouldn't know.) I heard there is a place where a trainer would need to start over with newer games?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Generations 1 & 2 (Gold, Silver, and Crystal) are the only Generations that can't connect to Generations 3 (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emearld, and the Generation 1 remakes Fire Red and Leaf Green) through 6 (X, Y and Gen 3 remakes Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire) currently..
though Generation 3, 4 (Diamond, Pearl, platinum and the Generation 2 remakes Heart Gold and Soul Silver), 5 (Black and white and their sequels Black 2 and white 2), and 6 can transfer Pokemon but it's only one way transfer. You won't be able to place a Pokemon back into the previous Generation it was previously in.

So far with Gen 7 (Pokemon Sun and Moon) the storage service called Pokemon bank that was released during Generation 6 can't connect to generation 7 but it will eventually be able to early next year along with the Generation one Virtual consoles on the 3ds. Items however will need to be regained since they are not transferable in any Gen to Gen transfer.

There are a few side games that are able to connect to the main series. The main two being the Gamecube games called Pokemon Coliseum and XD Gale of Darkness. Although these two games can only connect to Generation 3 with a certain GBA-to-Gamecube cord but the Pokemon obtained from them can be transferred into generation 6 and eventually 7.

That should be everything with the connectivity between the Pokemon games and the generations unless I'm forgetting something lol

Currently the connectivity looks like..
Gen 1 -> Gen 2 -/> Gen 3-6

Gen 3 (XD and Coliseum are "Gen 3" games) -> Gen 4 -> Gen 5 -> Gen 6

But it'll look like..
Gen 1 (through Virtual console) -> G7
And Gen 3 all the way up to G7

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
That one way transfer that is through the old DS with a GBA slot right? (something I happen to have)

Also can the DS games trade with the 3ds ones without pokemon bank?

I was thinking of picking up fire red or leaf green for nostalgia's sake if I can find it cheap and possibly going through there.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
That one way transfer that is through the old DS with a GBA slot right? (something I happen to have)

Also can the DS games trade with the 3ds ones without pokemon bank?

I was thinking of picking up fire red or leaf green for nostalgia's sake if I can find it cheap and possibly going through there.
Yeah and you need to go to the pal park in pearl, Diamond, Platinum, Heart gold, or Soul Silver to transfer the Gen 3 pokemon into Gen 4 then from Gen 4 to Gen 5 through the poke transfer lab (you need 2 DS' iirc).

No the DS games can only get to Gen 6 through the poke transporter which is obtained for free when the Poke bank is purchased and Poke Bank is mandatory in order to get them in the games and into Gen 7 once Game Freak updates it to work with Sun and Moon.

Starting back with the Gen 3 Fire red, Leaf Green games will probably take a bit of work, and time to get them into Pokemon bank and into Gen 7. You would need to beat a Gen 4 (preferably Heart Gold or Soul Silver because the Pokemon transfer in Diamond, pearl and Platinum has a 24 hour wait period), and a Gen 5 game to be able to transfer them up to Gens 6 & 7 Though you'll probably be able to skip Gen 6 since its through Pokemon bank..

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Thank you... one final question. I here that pokemon that are banked can't enter certain tournaments? Is that true? If so which ones?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Thank you... one final question. I here that pokemon that are banked can't enter certain tournaments? Is that true? If so which ones?
That would be VGC (Video game Championships) format and the Global link tournaments that are held on Pokemon-gl.com. the battle spot is sometimes the same way but not always..

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
That would be VGC (Video game Championships) format and the Global link tournaments that are held on Pokemon-gl.com. the battle spot is sometimes the same way but not always..
Thanks... stinks that only the most recent games monsters are able to enter.. Hate when cheaters ruin things for everyone.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Thanks... stinks that only the most recent games monsters are able to enter.. Hate when cheaters ruin things for everyone.
Np
Though it does add for a bit of a challenge not being able to rely on what you previously had but it's still rather annoying since most of my Pokemon I've used will need to be recreated once the "only those in the Alola (sun moon region) pokedex can only be used" rule expires..

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Np
Though it does add for a bit of a challenge not being able to rely on what you previously had but it's still rather annoying since most of my Pokemon I've used will need to be recreated once the "only those in the Alola (sun moon region) pokedex can only be used" rule expires..
Recreated? How?

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
ooooh man is it a huge pain to transfer pokemon from Colosseum and XD all the way up to Gen 6!

Bright side is you can get the Shadow Lugia that knows Psycho Boost, which is the only way to get a Lugia that has that move.

(Also, they retain the National Ribbon, which is Aesthetically awesome)

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Recreated? How?
Through breeding. It wouldn't take me too long to have them remade in the Alola region since I have about 10 or so boxes with competitive Pokemon in AS
(moon and Final Fantasy XV have been taking up too much time lol)

Top Bottom