• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of potential characters w/ explanations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
So after the direct, my friend and I sat down and had a long discussion on what characters we could potentially see in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. I decided to sit down and compile a list of things we discussed! But before I begin, I'd like to first give a HUGE THANK YOU to Masahiro Sakurai and his team at Sora Ltd. They not only met expectations of everyone, but exceeded them too! Whether this is the last Smash Bros game or not, we all owe a huge thanks for them pouring their heart and soul into this amazing game.

So first I will have a quick list of the characters we would like to see or are predicting to show up in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. We also took into consideration that these characters could also very well show up as Assist Trophies instead. And I would like to make a point that it is better to have a character be an Assist Trophy than not be represented in the game at all. So, we made a scale of 1 to 5, showing our thoughts on how likely a character will show up as a playable fighter or as an Assist Trophy. Of course these are our opinions (it's a shame that has to be explicitly stated these days) and we would very much love to see what predictions you all have for characters. I know there are a lot of threads out there about this kind of discussion, but we'd love to have a clean conversation here and avoid all the flame wars.

A quick explanation of the list. The range is essentially what we believe the likely-hood of a character being present in the game is. I will also provide descriptions below detailing our thoughts on each character. Some may simply be costumes, others as fighters, and some just as Assist Trophies. But to keep the initial list short and simple, we will just be going off of likely-hood of the character being a fighter. If you want our detailed thoughts please check below.

0 / 5: We believe there will be no chance these characters will be represented as fighters in Smash Ultimate
  • Waluigi (Super Mario Bros)
  • Generation 8 Pokemon (Pokemon)
  • Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)
  • Any character (Octopath Traveler)
  • Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
  • Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
  • Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
  • Raiden (Mortal Kombat)
  • Kazuya (Tekken)
  • Jin (Tekken)
  • Doom Slayer (Doom)
  • Momohime (Muramasa: The Demon Blade)
  • Kisuke (Muramasa: The Demon Blade)
  • Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
  • Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
  • Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Rayman (Rayman)
  • Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
  • Gex (Gex: Enter the Gecko)

1 / 5: We believe there is a chance these characters will be represented as Assist Trophies or a very very small chance they will be playable fighters
  • Mr. L (Super Mario Bros)
  • Dry Bowser (Super Mario Bros)
  • Bowser X (Super Mario Bros)
  • Giovanni (Pokemon)
  • Black Shadow (F-Zero)
  • Deathborn (F-Zero)
  • Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
  • Heihachi (Tekken)
  • Goku (Dragon Ball Z)
  • Sans (Undertale)
  • Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
  • Amaterasu (Okami)
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins)

2 / 5: We believe there is a good chance these characters will be represented as Assist Trophies or a small chance they will be playable fighters
  • Fawful (Super Mario Bros)
  • Galacta Knight (Kirby)
  • Zeraora (Pokemon)
  • Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
  • Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  • Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles)

3 / 5: We believe there is a very good chance these characters will be Assist Trophies or a good chance they will be playable fighters
  • Buzzwole (Pokemon)
  • Porky (Earthbound)
  • Ninten (Earthbound)
  • Blood Falcon (F-Zero)
  • Medusa (Kid Icarus)
  • Hades (Kid Icarus)
  • Spring Man (ARMS)
  • Ribbon Girl (ARMS)
  • Twintelle (ARMS)
  • Madeline (Celeste)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

4 / 5: We believe these characters will be Assist Trophies if they are not playable fighters. Some may vary
  • Geno (Super Mario Bros)
  • Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
  • Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda)
  • Generation 7 Starter (Pokemon)
  • Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  • Zack (Final Fantasy)

5 / 5: We believe these will be playable fighters
  • Generation 7 Pokemon (Pokemon)
  • Shadow (Shadow the Hedgehog)
  • Ken (Street Fighter)
  • Akuma (Street Fighter)
  • Octoling (Splatoon)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Shantae (Shantae)
  • Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)

Potential Characters List
  • Super Mario Bros
    • Geno (4/5): Geno is a very very VERY popular character. He was a major plot point and a major character in the Super Mario RPG game for the SNES. Not only that, but his move set would be pretty cool! I personally, don't really care if Geno makes it in or not, but I will be VERY happy if he does. Geno deserves the love and recognition. I think there is a very good chance we could see Geno represented on the roster. And if not as an Assist Trophy!
    • Mr. L (1/5): If not as an alternate color or costume, potentially an Echo Fighter for Luigi. We don't really think Mr. L will make it and we think it's a pretty silly idea. But that's why we put him on the list, because it's silly. If Mr. L did make it into the game as an Echo Fighter....well I'd hope not. But it'd be funny!
    • Waluigi (0/5): To be completely honest, my friend and I are getting a bit worn out over this Waluigi meme. It was fine when Smash Ultimate was first announced, but now seeing Waluigi as an Assist Trophy, it's done. Please stop. Dark Samus is different as it hasn't shown up at all as an Assist Trophy since Smash Ultimate was announced. Not in the E3 Direct, not at the Invitational, and not during the E3 demo. So it makes sense for Dark Samus to be speculated as a character in this regard (and now it's actually a character). So, please. It's time to stop.
    • Dry Bowser (1/5): Similar to Mr. L. Would be cool to have as an alternate costume/color and maaaaaaybe as an Echo Fighter. Very unlikely, but would be silly if actually added in.
    • Bowser X (1/5): Similar to Dry Bowser.
    • Fawful (2/5): A Mario villain that's been there since the beginning of the handheld Mario and Luigi RPG games. He would make an amazing Assist Trophy and a wacky fighter if he were to be included into the roster.

• Donkey Kong
    • Dixie Kong (4/5): Personally, I feel it's right to have Dixie Kong as a Diddy Kong Echo Fighter. Would be really nice to see more Donkey Kong representation on the roster. There is a lot of love for Dixie Kong so it would make sense.

• The Legend of Zelda
    • Skull Kid (4/5): Similar to Dark Samus, Skull Kid was an Assist Trophy before but now he's mysteriously absent! Now with the Moon from Majora's Mask being an Assist Trophy, maybe the Skull Kid will be a playable character?

• Kirby
    • Galacta Knight (2/5): An obvious Meta Knight Echo Fighter here. Main reason we thought of Galacta Knight is there seems to be a heavy theme of heroes vs villains in Super Ultimate. Would be pretty cool to finally see Galacta Knight show up. Maybe as an Assist Trophy?

• Pokemon
    • Giovanni (1/5): To follow the theme of heroes vs villains, Giovanni as a playable character would be pretty cool. Most likely will not happen, but his Pokemon team could be a heavyset version of Pokemon Trainer's - Rhyhorn, Persian, and Nidoking.
    • Zeraora (2/5): It seems really obvious that they might include a Generation 7 Pokemon to the roster. Not entirely sure which one, but with the recent release of Zeraora, it would make sense for it to be included! Plus it'd be a pretty cool fighter.
    • Buzzwole (3/5): A heavy Pokemon like Buzzwole would be a great addition and would be the Gen 7 representation for Pokemon.
    • Generation 7 Starter (4/5): Between Decidueye, Primarina, and Incineroar, it would make sense to add in one of the starters.
    • Generation 7 Pokemon (5/5): It would make sense that they would add in a Gen 7 Pokemon to the roster. It kinda writes itself.
    • Generation 8 Pokemon (0/5): We came up with this idea that they might do something absolutely crazy and add a Generation 8 Pokemon to the roster to further hype up the new main series Pokemon game coming next year. Not gonna happen but just an idea.

• Earthbound
    • Porky (3/5): To be completely honest, my friend and I are not well versed in Earthbound so this is all we could think of as a potential Earthbound villain. Porky could be in the machine he's usually seen in (well what I usually see him in) and could be another heavy character. We thought about Giygas, but.....what would that even look like?
    • Ninten (3/5): Again, we don't know much about Earthbound, but I would LOVE to see Earthbound get some more representation on the roster with Ninten being Ness's Echo Fighter.

• F-Zero
    • Black Shadow (1/5): One of the main antagonists in F-Zero GX, Black Bull would be a pretty cool fighter. However, they'd have to make a completely unique moveset for him like they did with Captain Falcon and I think this close to release, there wouldn't really be any realistic way to make this happen, unless he was already designed from the beginning.
    • Deathborn (1/5): Similar to Black Bull, following the heroes vs villains trend.
    • Blood Falcon (3/5): Now, I can't remember if Captain Falcon's Blood Falcon color was selectable. If it wasn't, then we could potentially see Blood Falcon as an Echo Fighter!

• Kid Icarus
    • Medusa (3/5): Since Dark Pit is more of an anti-hero, it would make sense to include an OG villain from Kid Icarus. Medusa would make a great fighter and I am really hoping that Kid Icarus get's more representation on the roster.
    • Hades (3/5): The only reason I'd see Hades being picked over Medusa is due to exposure. Since Hades is from a more recent game, it would make sense to choose him as the villain representation for the Kid Icarus series.
    • Eggplant Wizard (1/5): Now this was a funny topic, but to be real, it would be pretty cool to see the Eggplant Wizard be the villain for the Kid Icarus characters! Most likely will not happen, but would be silly if it did.

• Metal Gear Solid
    • Liquid Snake (2/5): Only makes sense that the "evil" clone of Solid Snake would be his Echo Fighter. I mean, it kinda writes itself.

• Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Tails (4/5): If there has to be ANY character from the Sonic series that deserves a spot on the roster, it has to be Sonic's buddy Tails. Tails has been with Sonic since nearly the beginning and he definitely deserves some love.
    • Shadow (5/5): Similar to Dark Samus, Shadow used to be an Assist Trophy, but so far he has yet to show up in Smash Ultimate at all. And it would make sense too. Despite Shadow mainly being an anti-hero, he usually is against Sonic is some things as his goals usually conflict with Sonic's. I am REALLY hoping to get Shadow as Sonic's Echo Fighter.
    • Eggman (2/5): To keep with the heroes vs villains theme, it would be really cool to see Eggman in his Eggwalker. Probably not going to happen as Shadow would be a much easier pick, but if it happens to be that he shows up as a character or Assist Trophy, I'd be even happier.

• Xenoblade Chronicles
    • Rex (2/5): To be completely honest, we don't know much about Xenoblade. But we have heard talk about Rex wanting to be added. I personally think it'd be nice to get more Xenoblade representation on the roster since it is a very popular series. I don't know the likely-hood of them adding Rex, but it would be nice.

• Street Fighter
    • Ken (5/5): This is too easy of a pick. Ken as Ryu's Echo Fighter writes itself. In all Street Fighter games, they've been pretty much the same character except for a few different properties to set them apart. It would be an easy inclusion to the roster! It would essentially be Ryu being Fox and Ken being Falco. Same moveset, but different properties.
    • Akuma (5/5): Just as easy as Ken, Akuma would be an amazing pick. Fits in perfectly with the heroes vs villains theme AND would play very similar to Ryu, but also give him the Wolf treatment. Same moveset, but very different properties!

• Final Fantasy
    • Zack (4/5): Very very very easy inclusion. Cloud pretty much copies Zack anyway, so it'd be really cool to see Zack get some love in the Smash Bros Series as an Echo Fighter.
    • Sephiroth (0/5): As much as I'd LOOOOOOOOOOVE to have Sephiroth in the game, it probably won't happen despite the heroes vs villains theme. HOWEVER, if Zack is included as an Echo Fighter, then the chances of Sephiroth being added are higher. Plus with the recent addition of Simon and Richter Belmont, the idea of having a high range character is very realistic (for those who don't know, Sephiroth has a very long sword).

• Splatoon
    • Octoling (5/5): This is too easy to pass up as an Echo Fighter. With Splatoon 2 doing so well and the recent release of the Octo Expansion, it would only make sense.

• ARMS
    • Spring Man (3/5): To be honest, despite how well you think the game did ARMS made some waves. And because of that, it'd be nice to see a character added to the Smash Ultimate roster. We personally think it's very likely, but that is definitely up for debate.
    • Ribbon Girl (3/5): If not Spring Man then Ribbon Girl.
    • Twintelle (3/5): And if not Ribbon Girl then Twintelle. She was a very popular pick in the game.

• Golden Sun
    • Issac (5/5): YES PLEASE. Isaac hasn't shown up as an Assist Trophy yet, similar to Dark Samus and Shadow. I would LOVE so much to finally see Isaac playable in Smash Ultimate. He would have such a cool moveset!

• Octopath Traveler
    • Any character (0/5): With how well this game did and how popular it is, it would be cool to see a character make an appearance. Maybe even as an Assist Trophy! However, with the game being very new there is pretty much no chance of any character showing up. Maybe as DLC?

• Shantae
    • Shantae (5/5): Shantae is very popular and I would LOVE to see her added in some form or another. Either as a character or as an Assist Trophy!

• Celeste
    • Madeline (3/5): Probably won't see her as a character on the roster but would be awesome to see her as an Assist Trophy!

• Soul Calibur
    • Nightmare (0/5): Not gonna happen, but with everyone wanting Goku, why not just throw him on the list? But I mean, Link was part of Soul Calibur back in the day so maybe?

• Mortal Kombat
    • Scorpion (0/5): Same as Nightmare, why not right?
    • Sub-Zero (0/5): Personally, my favorite character in the entire series.
    • Raiden (0/5): Honestly, I don't think any other fighting game characters are going to make it into Smash Ultimate. And if there are, it's probably going to be one, maybe two.

• Tekken
    • Heihachi (1/5): So....the leak list that happened some time ago had a couple gold nuggets in it. There was some speculation that Heihachi would be a candidate, so maybe this will be that one fighting game character?
    • Kazuya (0/5): He's pretty cool!
    • Jin (0/5): More popular that Kazuya so maybe?

• Dragon Ball Z
    • Goku (1/5): With Dragon Ball FighterZ coming to the Switch, we can see how this could work out. Plus with Bandai Namco being part of the production crew of Smash Ultimate, the possibility is there! Now I personally love the Dragon Ball series and I love Goku, but I don't really think we need him in the game. Maybe as an Assist Trophy, that would be nice.

• Undertale
    • Sans (1/5): I feel like he'd show up as an Assist Trophy more than anything. With Shovel Knight being an Assist Trophy, there is hope to get some Undertale representation in the game!

• Monster Hunter
    • Monster Hunter (5/5): Rathalos? Monster Hunter stage? Almost a given at this point! HYPE!

• Kingdom Hearts
    • Sora (3/5): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! YES PLEASE! I would love so much for Sora to appear as a character and with Kingdom Hearts 3 right around the corner? It'd make sooooo much sense to include him. His moveset would be so diverse! But, to be real the chances are moderate. Square Enix has given us Cloud, but they might be stingy with other stuff.

• Doom
    • Doom Slayer (0/5): With Doom and Doom Eternal coming to the Switch, will there be some representation? Most likely not, but just a thought.

• Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    • Momohime (0/5): This is a far stretch, but Muramasa was a very successful game that debuted on the Wii. While it isn't widely known today, the moveset of the characters would be a very cool addition to the roster as they are very air mobile.
    • Kisuke (0/5): The other protagonist of the game. IF they do add a character from this game it will be either of these two or both!

• No More Heroes
    • Travis Touchdown (1/5): As far-fetched as it may seem, No More Heroes was a VERY popular game on the Wii and Travis Touchdown was a very popular character for his time. Plus with another No More Heroes game coming out soon, it would make sense to see the return of Travis Touchdown! And maybe Henry Cooldown as an Echo Fighter to be his "villain"?

• Okami
    • Amaterasu (1/5): I think it is VERY possible that Amaterasu could be part of the roster. With Okami doing VERY well since it's release, the sequel on to 3DS, AND Okami HD coming to the Switch it would be awesome to see more representation of the series in Smash Ultimate. Her moveset is so diverse that there would be an amazing amount of moves to pull from.

• Ninja Gaiden
    • Ryu Hayabusa (1/5): The OG Ryu Hayabusa is a good candidate for the Smash Ultimate roster. With his debut on the original NES, it would be cool to see the original Ninja Gaiden Ryu represented on the roster. If not, then maybe an Assist Trophy.

• Spyro the Dragon
    • Spyro (0/5): While we feel it is very very VERY unlikely to see Spyro make it into Smash Ultimate, we do think he would be a fun addition to the roster.

• Banjo-Kazooie
    • Banjo and Kazooie (0/5): Similar to Spyro. Would be an amazing addition, but highly unlikely.

• Crash Bandicoot
    • Crash Bandicoot (0/5): Again, similar to Spyro.

• Rayman
    • Rayman (0/5): Again, similar to Spyro.

• Conker's Bad Fur Day
    • Conker (0/5): Again, similar to Spyro.

• Gex: Enter the Gecko
    • Gex (0/5): Again, similar to Spyro.

• Ghosts 'n Goblins
    • Arthur (1/5): Unfortunately, Simon and Richter Belmont already do what Arthur would be doing. BUT, he is a very well known character and could be a fun addition to the game. I would mainly like to see him as an Assist Trophy, but if he showed up as a character that would be pretty cool as well.

So as you can see, we essentially think that characters in the 4 - 5 score range will have a good shot at being included into the game as either playable fighters, Assist Trophies, or alternate costumes. Maybe even DLC! And of course, this is also just a fun wishlist to see what else could make it's way into Smash Ultimate. Honestly, if the game just released with the characters it has now I'd be more than happy. Sakurai and his team have done way more than enough and honestly I'll take whatever they give me at this point. Again, I'd love to thank Sora Ltd for producing such an amazing game and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Last edited:
Wow! You and your friend sure have great discussion topics! Pretty exhaustive list.

Maybe you've already seen it but this thread compiles all the most wanted character. I guessed it would be interesting to compare your list to this one.

Although high number of supporters doesn't always correlate to the chances of making it into the game. I.e. Dark Samus only had 11 supporters and made it anyway.

Btw, i saw you included Liquid Snake, did you see any support thread for him by any chance? I was thinking about creating one.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Wow! You and your friend sure have great discussion topics! Pretty exhaustive list.

Maybe you've already seen it but this thread compiles all the most wanted character. I guessed it would be interesting to compare your list to this one.

Although high number of supporters doesn't always correlate to the chances of making it into the game. I.e. Dark Samus only had 11 supporters and made it anyway.

Btw, i saw you included Liquid Snake, did you see any support thread for him by any chance? I was thinking about creating one.
To be completely honest, I haven't checked the Snake threads about this. But so far, I haven't seen anyone mention it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd give this a more in-depth read if I wasn't already busy myself.

I do take issue with you saying Sephiroth and Nightmare have no chance, though. :laugh: (Also you didn't discuss Tifa, for shaaaaaame).

I should really get to making a Tifa Support thread, huh? I talk about her enough.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
I'd give this a more in-depth read if I wasn't already busy myself.

I do take issue with you saying Sephiroth and Nightmare have no chance, though. :laugh:(Also you didn't discuss Tifa, for shaaaaaame).

I should really get to making a Tifa Support thread, huh? I talk about her enough.
Ooooooooh! I can't believe we didn't think of Tifa! Good call. But the reason we didn't think Sephiroth is mainly because Square can get pretty stingy. We foresee Zack having a better chance because it'd literally be a Cloud Echo Fighter. But like I stated, if Zack is included I think Sephiroth's chances go up a lot. :3

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Medusa’s popularity is absolutely baffling me. I have to wonder how many of her supporters are kiu fans. Because while she was the original villain, she was a bit part in uprising. Everyone is talking about her like she’s THE villain of the kid series. Maybe it’s just cause she’s an easy echo.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Medusa’s popularity is absolutely baffling me. I have to wonder how many of her supporters are kiu fans. Because while she was the original villain, she was a bit part in uprising. Everyone is talking about her like she’s THE villain of the kid series. Maybe it’s just cause she’s an easy echo.
Oh really? I will be honest, I haven't played any of the Kid Icarus games outside the very first one. We just did a bit of research to figure out who we thought the good picks would be. Do you think Hades has more popularity? Or are you siding with Medusa on this one?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ooooooooh! I can't believe we didn't think of Tifa! Good call. But the reason we didn't think Sephiroth is mainly because Square can get pretty stingy. We foresee Zack having a better chance because it'd literally be a Cloud Echo Fighter. But like I stated, if Zack is included I think Sephiroth's chances go up a lot. :3
Yeah, Square is... weird. :laugh:

I think they might be holding off on more Final Fantasy music until Zack, Sephiroth and/or Tifa are revealed, though. Though this is just me speaking from a position of hopefulness.
Medusa was THE villain of Kid Icarus, at least the first one.

Medusa is in the same boat as Dr. Eggman circa 1999 to ~2014. Consistently hijacked by other villains, that doesn't take away from her status as the series main villain.

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Oh really? I will be honest, I haven't played any of the Kid Icarus games outside the very first one. We just did a bit of research to figure out who we thought the good picks would be. Do you think Hades has more popularity? Or are you siding with Medusa on this one?
Medusa was the villain for the first 9 chapters of uprising, only 2 of which had her as a major speaking role. Hades and viridi are consistently present from their character introductions till the end of the game. Either would be much better.

Hades is the main villain. Viridi goes between villain and allying with pit when a bigger threat threatens them both. She’s also, as of smash 4, to dark pit as palutena is to pit.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Surprised viridi is not on your radar.

(Before you tell me reset bomb forest look at duck hunt dog on duck hunt and toon link on spirit track)

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Surprised viridi is not on your radar.

(Before you tell me reset bomb forest look at duck hunt dog on duck hunt and toon link on spirit track)
The reason we didn't include Viridi is we saw her as more of an anti-hero than an actual villain. Shadow is also an anti-hero, but he is generally against Sonic in motives when he's around so they always clash. But I can definitely see you're point with Viridi!

KMDP

Smash Legend
The reason we didn't include Viridi is we saw her as more of an anti-hero than an actual villain.
Viridi is one of the most sympathetic Eco-Terrorists in fiction! :laugh:

Snake, Cloud and Tifa've also got histories of Eco-Terrorism
EDIT: Can't forget Sonic.

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Square is... weird. :laugh:

I think they might be holding off on more Final Fantasy music until Zack, Sephiroth and/or Tifa are revealed, though. Though this is just me speaking from a position of hopefulness.

Medusa was THE villain of Kid Icarus, at least the first one.

Medusa is in the same boat as Dr. Eggman circa 1999 to ~2014. Consistently hijacked by other villains, that doesn't take away from her status as the series main villain.
Comparing Medusa to Eggman is not even close to accurate. She wasn’t an ever present villain, she was just a final boss written into the nes games backstory. And in uprising, her role was tiny. She barely showed up even when she was the antagonist, having a major speaking part in just 2 chapters.

She’s just not a great ki rep.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Here are the one's I think are likely or have a chance:

Geno/Paper Mario: I guess it boils down to these two when it comes to the Mario franchise. Both were highly requested candidates for the Smash ballot.
Dixie Kong: A possible semi-clone for Diddy, but could most likely end up being his echo with DK attributes.
Skull Kid: Based on the most credible leaks, Skull Kid is rumored to be a newcomer in Smash. Plus the purple and yellow chairs behind Sakurai points at it possibly.
Impa: Can work as a Sheik echo
Bandana Dee: Highly requested for the Smash ballot, so he has to make appearance in Smash.
Incineroar: Don't know about Pokémon, its difficult to predict, but i'll go with Incineroar.
Black Shadow: Possible Capt. Falcon echo, but not as likely as others.
Isabelle: Likely as a new fighter, but also likely as an echo of Villager.
Pikmin rep: Possible Olimar echo.
Elma: Likely as a new fighter or maybe Sakurai will wait for DLC to bring Rex and Pyra.
Shadow: Most likely happening as a Sonic echo.
Heihachi: Namco is co-developing Smash bros so there's got to be another rep for them.
Banjo-Kazooie: I think he is more likely than many imagine. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history and Banjo was an important part of the N64 era. If he doesn't make it then he is guaranteed for DLC seeing how Microsoft and Nintendo have a good relationship currently.
Crash Bandicoot: Likely, but also a strong DLC candidate.
Sora: Very likely

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Here are the one's I think are likely or have a chance:

Geno/Paper Mario: I guess it boils down to these two when it comes to the Mario franchise. Both were highly requested candidates for the Smash ballot.
Dixie Kong: A possible semi-clone for Diddy, but could most likely end up being his echo with DK attributes.
Skull Kid: Based on the most credible leaks, Skull Kid is rumored to be a newcomer in Smash. Plus the purple and yellow chairs behind Sakurai points at it possibly.
Impa: Can work as a Sheik echo
Bandana Dee: Highly requested for the Smash ballot, so he has to make appearance in Smash.
Incineroar: Don't know about Pokémon, its difficult to predict, but i'll go with Incineroar.
Black Shadow: Possible Capt. Falcon echo, but not as likely as others.
Isabelle: Likely as a new fighter, but also likely as an echo of Villager.
Pikmin rep: Possible Olimar echo.
Elma: Likely as a new fighter or maybe Sakurai will wait for DLC to bring Rex and Pyra.
Shadow: Most likely happening as a Sonic echo.
Heihachi: Namco is co-developing Smash bros so there's got to be another rep for them.
Banjo-Kazooie: I think he is more likely than many imagine. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's history and Banjo was an important part of the N64 era. If he doesn't make it then he is guaranteed for DLC seeing how Microsoft and Nintendo have a good relationship currently.
Crash Bandicoot: Likely, but also a strong DLC candidate.
Sora: Very likely
Personally, I don't think Bandana Dee will make it nor should be a playable fighter. I'm totally down for him being an Assist Trophy though! Main reason is because he'd be too basic and uninteresting. All he has is a spear. As far as a Pikmin rep, they added Alph as a playable costume so is there anyone else?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Personally, I don't think Bandana Dee will make it nor should be a playable fighter. I'm totally down for him being an Assist Trophy though! Main reason is because he'd be too basic and uninteresting. All he has is a spear. As far as a Pikmin rep, they added Alph as a playable costume so is there anyone else?
Being "too basic and uninteresting" is often an issue until people actually see the character.

Examples include Bowser Jr. and "K. Rool would be a Bowser clone".

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
With the concern for pleasing fans, awareness of our memes, his major cultural significance, and his ties to video games made by Namco Bandai, we need to seriously consider goku as a slight possibility for the classic Sakurai wtf pick.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Shantae has no chance if Shovel Knight didn't get in. I doubt Shantae will even be an Assist.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Also I can't believe we overlooked Impa as a candidate! See this is why we post this stuff here, to share ideas XD

Being "too basic and uninteresting" is often an issue until people actually see the character.

Examples include Bowser Jr. and "K. Rool would be a Bowser clone".
I can see your point with that. I feel it's our personal bias coming into play when we considered Bandana Dee because in the game's he's a pretty basic character and we don't really think there is much of a want for Bandana Dee. We feel that Marx or Anti-Matter would get more love than Bandana Dee.

With the concern for pleasing fans, awareness of our memes, his major cultural significance, and his ties to video games made by Namco Bandai, we need to seriously consider goku as a slight possibility for the classic Sakurai wtf pick.
That's why we put Goku on the list. Personally, we couldn't care less if Goku made it in. Sure he's cool, we both love him as a character but honestly we would rather not. HOWEVER, as stated above we are not blind to the fact that Goku does have a huge fanbase and he would make a great addition to the roster. Plus as stated, with Bandai Namco working on Smash Ultimate, it's definitely a chance.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Also I can't believe we overlooked Impa as a candidate! See this is why we post this stuff here, to share ideas XD

I can see your point with that. I feel it's our personal bias coming into play when we considered Bandana Dee because in the game's he's a pretty basic character and we don't really think there is much of a want for Bandana Dee. We feel that Marx or Anti-Matter would get more love than Bandana Dee.

That's why we put Goku on the list. Personally, we couldn't care less if Goku made it in. Sure he's cool, we both love him as a character but honestly we would rather not. HOWEVER, as stated above we are not blind to the fact that Goku does have a huge fanbase and he would make a great addition to the roster. Plus as stated, with Bandai Namco working on Smash Ultimate, it's definitely a chance.
Oh, must've missed him on the list, my bad.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
All good my man. Yeah, the list is huge. I tried to make it as digestible as possible by separating everything into segments.

Shantae has no chance if Shovel Knight didn't get in. I doubt Shantae will even be an Assist.
Well Shantae is more synonymous with Nintendo than Shovel Knight is. Remember, Shovel Knight is a recent indie game that is inspired by old school classics from Nintendo. Shantae was present on Nintendo consoles back in the day. I do think that Shantae has a good chance of showing up in the game in some form or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom