• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of New Remixes

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Really? No SMW music on the SMW stage?

This sounds like something they really should patch. I don't care if the stage is recategorized to Mario or the SMW overworld themes are recat to Yoshi, but that is now the only one of the returning stages that can't physically have the songs it used to. In fact, the only song it can play that it did in any of the previous games was that SSB4WiiU gave it Yoshi 64 music.

My music on the whole is starting to look imposing. I'd have liked if I could assign songs to stages and then go through and set their frequencies, but it seems that I'll be scrolling through almost a hundred Mario songs on any of the Mario stages to set them up. I'm the kind of person who doesn't want songs on more than one stage, so this'll be a nightmare of classifying things.

Is there a full list of songs by series (and what stages count, in the case of the others) that I can use to start planning?

But seriously, people need to start making noise about the SMW thing. It seems like all they need to do to fix it is just change the category of one stage or a handful of songs, so it could be an easy fix. They just need to know about it.

splat

Smash Lord
I've been looking through the files and realized there were TWO tracks named Electroplankton... One of which being the ambient sound we had on the stage in Brawl. Maybe we will still have the option to have no music on the stage apart from the one made by the Hanenbow themselves, like in Brawl?
Someone in the YouTube comments noted that the music version was needed for the Omega or BF version of the stage. I have no doubts the regular version of the stage will feature the 'ambient music, produce the sounds' gimmick.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Wanted to chime in that out of all the composers hired to do new arrangements, I personally feel the likes of Akihiro Honda, Takeshi Kuramochi, and of course ACE all did the most of stellar job with their contributions!

Also wanna give a shout out to Masafumi Takada, Yoko Shimomura, Keiichi Okabe, and Hideki Sakamoto as well!

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Yoshi's Island Melee is stuck with Yoshi Music, other than its original Melee theme

How terrible. It doesn't even get the SMB3 medley it's always had
It's a real shame. At least now we know. I do think it should have been rebranded as a Mario stage so it could keep its music. Now I need to go to the list of Yoshi songs and decide which would be appropriate. Any suggestions?

On a related note, I wish Mushroom Kingdom II had been retitled as Subcon.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yoshi's Island Melee is stuck with Yoshi Music, other than its original Melee theme

How terrible. It doesn't even get the SMB3 medley it's always had
Hold on - it’s at least getting its Melee theme? That’s a bit of an improvement. Are we sure of this so I don’t get my hopes up?

I thought the Melee theme also got rebranded as SMW, and then became a Mario song

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's subtle, but definitely not the original.

and here's the original for comparison.

Oh I see! Considering how close they are, it's definitely better to keep Melee's version.

Hold on - it’s at least getting its Melee theme? That’s a bit of an improvement. Are we sure of this so I don’t get my hopes up?

I thought the Melee theme also got rebranded as SMW, and then became a Mario song
Considering the track is listed as a Melee track and not a Mario / Yoshi track in the files it's hard to know. We should probably try to find gameplay on that stage to know.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh, and I never voted my favorite new remixes.

I love Zelda and all of its music, so my winner is the BotW Trailer theme. I actually did prefer the version that was just the ported theme, but I'll take the remix since it's so godlike.

Second - We all thought that Gangplank was good, but then Crocodile Cacophony came in. That song is beautiful, unfortunately there's not really a good matching stage for it. I'll make it work on Jungle Japes.

Third - I'll go back to BotW for the main theme remix. Loved it since I heard it back at E3.

Also, if the rumors of BotW porting in Calamity Ganon boss music and Hyrule Castle music are true...:love:

JaredG

Smash Apprentice
They're only "other" songs in the internal folders but otherwise they're officially Fighter Series songs just like almost everyone else's, not actually "Other".

For the record, Xenoblade, Wii Fit and Punch-Out! were also internally grouped with Other songs in Smash Bros Wii U. They just didn't bother changing this because it doesn't really effect the game's categorization.

AFAIK, Ice Climbers, Gyromite and Duck Hunt are the only Universes with fighters thats officially considered "Others" for the soundtrack.
Exactly, they already have series that are represented by fighters in the "other" category so the whole organization of it is arbitrary and there's no reason they couldn't make more exceptions. It's a dumb rule imo that Summit gets access to like 100 songs, but because Game & Watch was a series of games and not just one game, it only gets access to two.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Also, if the rumors of BotW porting in Calamity Ganon boss music and Hyrule Castle music are true...:love:
This is not a rumor, we have Calamity Ganon's second phase as well as the exterior of Hyrule Castle :p

Exactly, they already have series that are represented by fighters in the "other" category so the whole organization of it is arbitrary and there's no reason they couldn't make more exceptions. It's a dumb rule imo that Summit gets access to like 100 songs, but because Game & Watch was a series of games and not just one game, it only gets access to two.
I didn't thought of it like this... I thought of Flat Zone as "only G&W music should go on it" personally. Which is no less arbitrary

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Anybody else not really feeling the new Mother remixes? :/

Its a shame that there's only two, and especially that they are repeats of songs that have already been remixed. There are so many other worthwhile songs the series has to offer! Another version Fourside I'm fine with, but I don't feel that Magicant was particularly screaming for another rendition.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't particularly care for the remixes themselves, either. They're a bit all over the place.... Fourside is the better of the two, IMO, but I still can't really get into them. Nothing against Motoi Sakuraba, I like his music a lot and he's done some fantastic remixes for Smash in the past. I just don't think his style works for EarthBound. I don't know. Maybe they'll grow on me.

Its also a bit sad to see that of all the composers they had brought on board for Ultimate's soundtrack, only one thought that something from Mother would be worth remixing. It really feels like this series is gradually being more and more neglected in Smash; we went from 6 new songs in Brawl, to 3 in Smash 4, and now only 2.

On a separate (and less negative) note, I really like the Yuyuki Medley, especially after digging into the origin of each component. Makes me want to check out the original game and hear these catchy melodies in their original context!

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

Its a shame that there's only two, and especially that they are repeats of songs that have already been remixed. There are so many other worthwhile songs the series has to offer! Another version Fourside I'm fine with, but I don't feel that Magicant was particularly screaming for another rendition.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't particularly care for the remixes themselves, either. They're a bit all over the place.... Fourside is the better of the two, IMO, but I still can't really get into them. Nothing against Motoi Sakuraba, I like his music a lot and he's done some fantastic remixes for Smash in the past. I just don't think his style works for EarthBound.

I don't know. Maybe they'll grow on me.
For the remixes I think it's a question of habits. While the Magicant theme is fine to me, I have troubles getting used to the Fourside remix too. Maybe it's too... Grand? To track is still cheerful, but it gives me some "You call this an Utopia?" vibe during some parts (slightly), and considering both are for City backgrounds...
Also, the fact that both are arranged by Motoi Sakuraba gives them slightly less personality I believe. I really love this composer, and he can do great things with the right sounds and instruments, but it's easy to grow tired of his style.

I think it will be okay with some time though!

On a separate (and less negative) note, I really like the Yuyuki Medley, especially after digging into the origin of each component. Makes me want to check out the original game and hear these catchy melodies in their original context!
This medley is really nice indeed! It's a shame we don't have an "other" stage with an japanese / oriental theme, such as a "The Mysterious Murasame Castle" stage, many songs could fit on it.

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't particularly care for the remixes themselves, either. They're a bit all over the place.... Fourside is the better of the two, IMO, but I still can't really get into them. Nothing against Motoi Sakuraba, I like his music a lot and he's done some fantastic remixes for Smash in the past. I just don't think his style works for EarthBound. I don't know. Maybe they'll grow on me.

Its also a bit sad to see that of all the composers they had brought on board for Ultimate's soundtrack, only one thought that something from Mother would be worth remixing. It really feels like this series is gradually being more and more neglected in Smash; we went from 6 new songs in Brawl, to 3 in Smash 4, and now only 2.

I totally know whatcha mean man.

I guess Sakuraba wanted to do a more blood pumping rendition of the Magicant theme compared to what Yoko did...at least the only real reason I can think of.

Maybe it does have to do with Keiichi Suzuki after all or that most of the songs from say Earthbound use a ton of sampling.

We will probably never know the true answers but those are just personal theories from me.

Probably boils down to Mother not being all that active...even though F-Zero got a plentiful amount of additions here despite them mainly being from the first game.

I don't mind each of them since I feel both are intense and still retain some of quirkiness of the source material.

Still bummed we didn't get any legit battle themes but I've gotten over that.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
I feel the new Fourside remix doesn't fit a nighttime stage.

Also, can the new Electroplankton remix be used on other stages besides Hanenbow?

SmashBasher123

Smash Cadet
For the remixes I think it's a question of habits. While the Magicant theme is fine to me, I have troubles getting used to the Fourside remix too. Maybe it's too... Grand? To track is still cheerful, but it gives me some "You call this an Utopia?" vibe during some parts (slightly), and considering both are for City backgrounds...
Also, the fact that both are arranged by Motoi Sakuraba gives them slightly less personality I believe. I really love this composer, and he can do great things with the right sounds and instruments, but it's easy to grow tired of his style.

I think it will be okay with some time though!

This medley is really nice indeed! It's a shame we don't have an "other" stage with an japanese / oriental theme, such as a "The Mysterious Murasame Castle" stage, many songs could fit on it.
I actually have the opposite opinion myself. I like the Fourside remix well enough as a more upbeat rendition that's even closer to the original track in a way, but the Magicant one I'm still not really gelling with. It feels like it's trying a little *too* hard to force itself to be an upbeat battle-ready song, in a way, and personally the drum beat used throughout the entire thing can get a little grating after a while, at least for this particular arrangement. Just not my jam, I suppose, which is fine! I might get used to it actually hearing it ingame, since to be fair I'm also just partially biased towards 4's beautiful arrangement of the Magicant theme.

And I fully agree, it's a bit of a shame there's not really any "oriental" themed stage to go with songs like those, Glory of Heracles, Sakura Samurai's Boss 1, etc.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman

I agree with you, I like the old remixes of Fourside and Magicant a lot more. This is my biggest dissapointment with the soundtrack. But I think the love the series got in other areas makes up for it.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
A Murasame Castle stage would be perfect for songs like the Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley, Sakura Samurai Boss Theme, Shin Onigashima Medley, and Yuyuki Medley.

That's the thing for me, some of the songs are great but I really can't think of a stage they'd fit on!

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I actually have the opposite opinion myself. I like the Fourside remix well enough as a more upbeat rendition that's even closer to the original track in a way, but the Magicant one I'm still not really gelling with. It feels like it's trying a little *too* hard to force itself to be an upbeat battle-ready song, in a way, and personally the drum beat used throughout the entire thing can get a little grating after a while, at least for this particular arrangement. Just not my jam, I suppose, which is fine! I might get used to it actually hearing it ingame, since to be fair I'm also just partially biased towards 4's beautiful arrangement of the Magicant theme.
I do agree for Magicant even if the track doesn't bother me. It does try a little hard to be dynamic. I'll probably use the Smash 4 version more, as it's indeed beautiful.

And I fully agree, it's a bit of a shame there's not really any "oriental" themed stage to go with songs like those, Glory of Heracles, Sakura Samurai's Boss 1, etc.
Definitely not the best fit, but I pointed out that Wuhu Island's FD and BF forms uses the Kendo arena, and the Kendo games used japanese instrumentation in Wii Sports Resort, so... Maybe it slightly works?
wuhu.png

A Murasame Castle stage would be perfect for songs like the Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley, Sakura Samurai Boss Theme, Shin Onigashima Medley, and Yuyuki Medley.

That's the thing for me, some of the songs are great but I really can't think of a stage they'd fit on!
Yeah, a Murasame Castle stage would be awesome. We need a stage with cherry blossoms for all these japanese tracks!

Personally, the track where I'm questionning myself the most must be Marionation Gear. I love that track so much, yet I don't really see where it could belong. Pilotwings, probably...

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

I like Fourside since it is closer to the original track, but Magicant doesn't seem like the kind of track that needs to be faster paced. The whole point of that track was to be slower and more dreamlike. That being said, I think both are great tracks, but would've preferred actual battle themes for once.
A thought I had prior to all of this was for the Magicant track to be be based on the EarthBound Magicant theme then transition into the Kraken battle theme (as I believe you fight the Kraken in Magicant there).

And about Mother recieving less and less love in Smash since Brawl, it's probably because in Brawl we got a new stage and Mother 3 had released during the prime time of development. With Smash 4 we got much less love since it had been 8 years since Mother 3, but we got a new stage (otherwise I think all we would've gotten was the Onett remix), and with Ultimate we got no new stages and it was 10 years since the last Mother game.

Last edited:

JaredG

Smash Apprentice
I agree 100% when it comes to the Mother remixes. Those are the two most disappointing for me, they're just... too much. Sakuraba is pretty hit or miss for me, he seems to always go really hard and stuff his songs with as much as he possibly can and sometimes he ends up with amazing tracks like Valedictory Elegy and sometimes he ends up with stuff that just sounds like a mess of noise and Magicant and Fourside unfortunately fall into the latter for me. :( Maybe they'll grow on me with time. It's just a shame cause Mother has traditionally had some of my favorite songs in each game's soundtrack, and now my reaction to Mother is pretty lukewarm while the rest of the game's new remixes are phenomenal.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
This is weird, after giving a second listen, I feel that Magicant (SSBU)... Can actually fit well on Fourside, way more than on Magicant itself. Fourside (SSBU) feels to fit better on New Pork City too (although both NPC and Fourside works for this one).

Last edited:

JaredG

Smash Apprentice
As long as we're talking about how we'll organize all the Other music, here's my how my spreadsheet for it looks. :p I might switch some songs around later, but I think I'm mostly satisfied with this arrangement for now.

SmashBasher123

Smash Cadet
Dang, I should've been more proactive with downloading the soundtrack when I had the chance, Nintendo ninjas are doing a pretty good job of slowly scrubbing any trace of them off easily available locations. Curse my being busy most of the weekend... Oh well, worst case scenario I just wait till it's officially released anyway.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
As long as we're talking about how we'll organize all the Other music, here's my how my spreadsheet for it looks. :p I might switch some songs around later, but I think I'm mostly satisfied with this arrangement for now.

Man, I really want to get mine started, but I don't know if the song lists are complete - and now a lot of the music's being scrubbed...

I'm just not looking forward to scrolling through 90-100 Mario songs to assign each stage differently right now. Especially when a handful of Mario songs need to be recat as Yoshi ones...

Also the lack of a villain-y looking Mario and DK stage are really crimping my style here. Croc Cacophony is so beautiful, and we don't have a nice Krocodile Isle stage for it...

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Last edited:

JaredG

Smash Apprentice
Man, I really want to get mine started, but I don't know if the song lists are complete - and now a lot of the music's being scrubbed...

I'm just not looking forward to scrolling through 90-100 Mario songs to assign each stage differently right now. Especially when a handful of Mario songs need to be recat as Yoshi ones...

Also the lack of a villain-y looking Mario and DK stage are really crimping my style here. Croc Cacophony is so beautiful, and we don't have a nice Krocodile Isle stage for it...
Unless they plan on patching more music in on day 1 (which is super unlikely), the song lists we have are definitely final.

No Bowser's Castle stage is a huge bummer. Crocodile Cacopohony works pretty well on Jungle Japes I think with its dark mood lighting... not perfect but not a bad fit either.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So seemingly, the Yoshi's Island (Melee) stage do lack the Super Mario World music: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77239349/913032796

We saw it coming but eh, still a bit dissapointing. But that's not really a stage I love, and the FD / BF form is a bit bland too so that's not really a big loss for me.

Oh and that spreadsheet, that's some dedication!
Athletic Theme is the Melee song...so that's on it at least. Ok, then I don't have to be too mad. As long as something SMW is there.
Unless they plan on patching more music in on day 1 (which is super unlikely), the song lists we have are definitely final.
Cool! Is the Wiki list the full version? If so, I'm off to start planning.

JaredG

Smash Apprentice
Athletic Theme is the Melee song...so that's on it at least. Ok, then I don't have to be too mad. As long as something SMW is there.

Cool! Is the Wiki list the full version? If so, I'm off to start planning.
Looks accurate to me. A couple things to note are that, aside from Trouble Brewing II, the Codename STEAM songs appear to be grouped with the Fire Emblem stages since they're arrangements of Fire Emblem songs. Also, the 6 K.K. ports from Animal Crossing are what K.K. plays on Saturday nights and probably won't be available in My Music.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh right. I was so focused on searching for "Melee" that I actually didn't noticed the Super Mario World track. I was afraid for a moment that the original song for the stage was gone.
3ff.gif

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
It's probably still early atm, but since I did it, was wondering if anyone else wanted to share which composers here stuck out to them the most based on the work they contributed?

JaredG

Smash Apprentice
It's probably still early atm, but since I did it, was wondering if anyone else wanted to share which composers here stuck out to them the most based on the work they contributed?
Yeah I'd need to listed to everything some more and also have a list of every remix organized by the composer to say much about that lol. I know Yoko Shimomura knocked her two remixes out of the park but that's not much of a surprise.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord

This is a great idea, I should do this too.

I'd say that Noriyuki Iwadare contributed the most remixes I personally enjoy, everything he arranged in this game is great. Kumi Tanioka did some pretty pleasant orchestral arrangements. Both of Yoshino Aoki's arrangements I really like. Shota Kageyama, Hideki Sakamoto, Masafumi Takada, and Akihiro Honda also had very solid contributions.

And of course I have to hand it to Yoko Shimomura, as usual. While she didn't contribute as many songs as she usually does, both of her arrangements are stellar.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Wow, I should not have clicked on that Smash Wiki music list. The first thing that appears are major adventure mode spoilers.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really a fan of Mr. Sakuraba, personally. No offense to the guy, but I feel that a lot of his music either sounds way too similar (Mario Tennis) or is fairly forgettable in terms of melodies (Tales, Golden Sun). While I'm glad Mother at least got two new remixes thanks to him, I feel that Magicant in particular was really unnecessary after SSB4's beautiful rendition.

I do feel a bit warmer to the Fourside mix. As much as I love Melee's soundtrack, I thought its rendition of Fourside was a huge miss. Gone was the brassy, big band approach that made the song so enjoyable in its original form, replaced with a really generic-feeling techno beat. I'm glad that this new mix at least feels a bit more faithful to the original, even if I'd kill to have a full jazz band version of it.

It's too bad we didn't get more Mother music across the series, but considering it's a fairly niche series, I'm pretty happy with the selection we ultimately ended up with. My top picks are (Melee alt) Pollyanna, Smiles and Tears, SSB4 Magicant and Humoresque of a Little Dog.

Last edited:

JaredG

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, they're saving all the Mother music for when Porky is added as DLC to coincide with a Mother 3 rerelease/localization. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom