• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of moves that are safe on shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
For Ike

N-Air is -2 on shield, it's safe when spaced.
Jab 1 and 2 are safe on shield.
Up-Air is -2 on shield but would be hard to space so maybe unsafe.
D-Tilt is safe when spaced out, as is f-tilt.
B-Air is safe when spaced and can be retreated.
I'm finding it hard to believe that up Smash and D-Smash are 'safe'. They aren't.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Since the last time I commented on this thread, I've learned quite a bit more about shields... I've also tried to make a complete categorization of frame advantage on shield. My conclusion? This is far from a trivial problem.

Firstly, there are 3 places you can hit a shield that produce 3 distinct results.
  1. Perfect shield
    • Frame 1-3; allows for instant action. So, powershield to ZSS jab is likely the quickest shield response in the game with a minimum response time of 4 frames. (I forget if shield stun applies to power shielding).
  2. Shield, High Shield Lock
    • There are 8 shield lock frames. You can't drop your shield, but you can jump or roll out of them. If you want an attack response and your foe is not in shield grab range, you'll have to wait this and your shield drop frames (7) to do so. So you'll have a minimum response time of 16 frames plus shield stun.
  3. Shield, Low Shield Lock
    • If you have been in shield for at least 11 frames, your perfect shield window and your shield lock window are now gone, meaning any non grab, non jump cancelled response must only wait through shield drop frames. This yields a minimum response time of 8 frames plus shield stun.
This only gets more complex from here. Electric moves and moves with high hitstun multipliers cause your foe to lag a little more than you, producing some easier shield responses. Autocancel windows are all over the place... some moves benefit from landing immediately and eating the landing lag, and some moves benefit from waiting for the autocancel.

These are only response times. This doesn't account for spacing, shield push (which is negated near ledges), and the moves each character possesses as a retaliation. For instance, most characters can't really respond to... say... a spaced ZSS back air. Mii Brawler's 2nd up B can though (or was it the 3rd upB?)

So... ah... yeah. I'm still working on that complete categorization, and am attempting to make it automate updates for patches. We'll see how that goes.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Shield stun still happens when you perfect shield, but you no longer get shield push back, and can buffer things into what'd normally be your shield drop frames.

Reflex has a video on it. I'll see if I can find it.

edit:

Found it~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID4xD5rPjbQ

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Mewtwos safe on block moves:

dtilt - mid to max range
dsmash - mid to max range
dair - retreating
confusion - :)

Shadowball obviously.

piikaa

Smash Rookie
NNID
pikajamz
Lucas - F-Smash (Comes out crazy fast, and has little ending lag), Z-Air (Need I say more?), and probably his F-Air.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
For Ike

N-Air is -2 on shield, it's safe when spaced.
Jab 1 and 2 are safe on shield.
Up-Air is -2 on shield but would be hard to space so maybe unsafe.
D-Tilt is safe when spaced out, as is f-tilt.
B-Air is safe when spaced and can be retreated.
I'm finding it hard to believe that up Smash and D-Smash are 'safe'. They aren't.
Nair and uair are ~-4 on shield drop and true.

Dtilt should be safe.

Backwards hit of usmash and 2nd hit of dsmash have similar safety, but they are punishable. Not as punishable as you think, though, but enough for most quicker characters to just dash grab I believe. They may only be kinda safe near half+ charged.

I don't think dair is safe even when retreating, but I guess it depends? It'll be difficult to be in such a situation, since you'll rarely ever land with the hitbox on someone.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The idea and effort with the thread is good.
But there are a lot of variables that are capable of change if safe or not on shield.
I'm expecting this was tested in the middle of Final Destination.

Good info, I will try to remember what I should not try to punish with grab, as a Sheik main.
I'm kind of uncertain about how much is reliable to one person test this for every character and if Megaman as the perfect punisher is a great notion.
(It was frame tested ? I mean, only in theory with mathematic.Considering the best timing possible. Maybe is the best way.)

I will try to import this to Sheik's thread, so we can explore more about it with Sheik against all characters, in order to build something more usefull to us.
I highly recommend people to do the same with the help of your character community.

Thanks for the effort, and mainly about the idea.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Where is Mewtwo?

Uair is -1 on shield, but it's range and KB make it safe.

Fair is +2 on shield

snizz14

Smash Rookie
Lucario' bair,dair,fair,nair,fp and aura sphere are all safe when spaced right

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Zard sweetspot bair is definitely safe on shield, and possibly spaced dtilt (depending on character)

Spaced fair (autocanceled) will be also be safe depending on the character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom