• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of Characters Olimar can grab off of ledge

Kody910

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kody910
3DS FC
3737-9547-5239
Went ahead and did some testing with Olimar's grab to see just who all he can pluck off the ledge. As a trick that existed in Brawl, I figured it would no doubt still be around in Smash 4. It is, but it is a bit more involved with some characters.

Due to the nature of how the Pikmin move, some characters can only grabbed by White Pikmin. White Pikmin's faster movement give them an ever so slightly longer grab range, and they are the only ones who can grab specific ledge hangers. On top of this, some of the animations for characters on the ledge dictate when they can be grabbed, depending on when their head is poking out over the edge.

All testing was done on the Omega version of Garden of Hope using every type of Pikmin for the most proper results possible. Each test was done multiple times during different parts of the ledge hangers animations. I don't think that any ledges of other stages would affect the results, possibly barring sloping stages like Windy Hill Zone. I'll look into testing that later if there is discernible reason to.

All tests were performed with standing grabs and no custom moves (since apparently his customs can affect his grab range, as I've heard). I'll look into doing tests with dash grabs and pivot grabs if there is interest (and when it's not like three in the morning like when I'm writing this).

UPDATE: After some testing, it seems that neither dash grabs nor pivot grabs affect who can be grabbed. Slanting/sloping stages, such as Pilotwings and Windy Hill Zone, do not seem to change the results either. I'll look into trying out the shortened grabs with customs moves soon.

So, here are my findings.

Characters that can be grabbed by ANY PIKMIN during ANY POINT of their hanging animation:
Mario
Luigi
Bowser Jr.
Donkey Kong
Mr. Game & Watch
Zero Suit Samus
Duck Hunt
Kirby
Meta Knight
Pikachu
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Ness
Villager
Olimar
Dr. Mario
Mii Brawler*
Mii Swordfighter*
Mii Gunner*

Characters that can be grabbed by ANY PIKMIN during a SPECIFIC POINT of their hanging animation:
Peach (when she lifts her head above the ledge. Window of opportunity is quite strict)
Wii Fit Trainer (when she performs her pull-up. Window is very large)
Mega Man (when he lifts himself up a bit. Window is very large)

Characters that can ONLY BE GRABBED BY WHITE PIKMIN during ANY POINT of their hanging animation:
Yoshi
Wario
Toon Link

Characters that can ONLY BE GRABBED BY WHITE PIKMIN during a SPECIFIC POINT of their hanging
animation:

Zelda (when she lifts her head slightly above the ledge. Extremely strict timing, window is very small)

*All Miis were set to the default weight/size

Feel free to scrutinize my results, add onto it with things I didn't get good results for because I'm dumb, request other tests, etc.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Interesting test, I knew it was a bit different from Brawl, but I hadn't done any specific testing.

Top Bottom