• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of all the nintendo franchises without playable character.

Smashey

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but i wanted to have a "Nintendo Libary".

Pre- Smash 4 (2014)
Advance Wars
Another Code
Art Academy
And-Kensaku
Archaic Sealed Heat
Ballon Fight
Bass Fishing N.01
BattleClash
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Card Hero
Chibi-Robo!!
Clu Clu Land
Custom Robo
Captain Rainbow
Chosoju Mecha MG
Cuvibore
Dillon's Rolling Western
Doshin The Giant
Devil World
Disaster
Drill Dozer
Endless Ocean
Exitebiker
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Fluidity
Fossil Fighters
Freakyforms
FlingSmash
Golden Sun
Gumshoe
GiFTPiA
Glory of Heracles
Harmo Knight
Ice Hokey
Jam with the Band
Joy Mech Fight
Kururin
Kyle Hide (Hotel Dusk)
Kaeru no Tame ni Kame wa Naru
A Kappa's Trail
Kiki's Trick
Kurikin: Nano Island Story
Starfy
The Last Story
Line Attack Heroes
Mach Rider
Magical Starsing
Marvelous
Mole Mania
Monster Tactics
The Mysterious Murashame Castle
NintendoLand
Elite Beat Agents
Pilotwings
Pushmo
Panel de Pon
Pro Wrestling
Pandora's Tower
Project Hacker
Rhythm Heaven
Sin & Punishment
StarTropics
Style Savvy
Steel Diver
Style Savvy
Sakura Samurai
Sennen Kazoku
Short Order & Eggsplode
Slide Adventure: MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Spotto!
Sutte Hakkun
1080 Snowboarding
Takt of Magic
Time Twist
Tin Star
Tomato Adventure
Teleroboxer
Urban Champion
Wave Race
Zangeki no Reinglev
Zekkyo Senshi Sakebrain

Post Smash 4: (2015+)
Splatoon
Codename STEAM
BoxBoy!
Ever Oasis
Tank Troopers

I only add franchises that have at least one character.

Last edited:

MasterZaden

Smash Cadet
Uh... Nintendogs+cats? Tomodachi Life?

Or... maybe those series don't have "characters". I'm not good at this...

Last edited:

Smashey

Smash Rookie
Personally, even if i love a lot of franchises of the pre-smash 4 era i i think it's really unlikely that any of these obscure franchises/smaller franchises like freakyforms,fluidity,a kappa's trail,archaic sealed heat,flingsmash!,pandora's tower,harmoknight,hanna samurai,spotto!,tomato adventure,magical starsing,fossil fighters and a big etc will be featured in smash 5,since they will be even more obscue/more irrelevant when smash 5, so i doubt they'll get characters/Stages or even trophies, in the last case, they will be replaced by new IPs that originate of the Post-smash 4 era, so far we only have 5 of them, but we'll have more when the switch comes out, and even more when smash 5 comes out.
I think the most likely ones are the IPs that where/will be made beffore smash 4.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Personally, even if i love a lot of franchises of the pre-smash 4 era i i think it's really unlikely that any of these obscure franchises/smaller franchises like freakyforms,fluidity,a kappa's trail,archaic sealed heat,flingsmash!,pandora's tower,harmoknight,hanna samurai,spotto!,tomato adventure,magical starsing,fossil fighters and a big etc will be featured in smash 5,since they will be even more obscue/more irrelevant when smash 5, so i doubt they'll get characters/Stages or even trophies, in the last case, they will be replaced by new IPs that originate of the Post-smash 4 era, so far we only have 5 of them, but we'll have more when the switch comes out, and even more when smash 5 comes out.
I think the most likely ones are the IPs that where/will be made beffore smash 4.
Of those you mentioned, there could be one that has a chance, because it at least has some representation. There is one music track from FreakyForms that plays on the Miiverse stage.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Obscurity is irrelevant. Who the heck is Mr. Game & Watch?
Mr. Game & Watch is Nintendo's first video game character. He represents the era of Nintendo's entry into the video game world. He, along with Duck Hunt and ROB, may not be very familiar in modern gaming, but that doesn't make them any less relevant in Nintendo's history, or any less nostalgic to older gamers (a major reason for adding them).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So of all those, how many series realistically have a chance at getting a playable character for Smash?
In my opinion...

Art Academy - I'm iffy on this but it's one of the few post-Brawl new IPs that actually got several games (Vince)

Chibi-Robo - also iffy on this but it's one of the few Nintendo IPs that actually got an amiibo (Chibi-Robo)

Pushmo - also iffy on this one but it's one of the few post-Brawl new IPs that actually got several games (Mallo)

Puzzle League - Japan-only retro rep; also iffy on this one but it does get new games and cameos every now and then (Lip)

Rhythm Heaven - popular IP; character was planned or considered for SSB4 (Chorus Kids)

Splatoon - post-SSB4 new IP that's actually a big hit; also one of the few Nintendo IPs that got amiibos (Inkling)

StarTropics - Western-only retro rep; also relevant thanks to NES Classic Edition (Mike Jones)

StreetPass Mii Plaza - post-Brawl new IP that gets several new games to the 3DS app (Wandering Heroes)

Wandering Heroes are cats, dogs, rabbits, and humans with magic powers, swords, and shields from Find Mii. They could be custom fighters like Mii Fighters. All have same normal moves but different special moves depending on shirt color.

The Mysterious Murasame Castle - Japan-only retro rep; recently had VC release in the West; character was planned or considered for SSB4 (Takamaru)

World Class Track Meet - my wild card pick; retro rep who reps the NES Power Pad like how :4duckhunt: reps the NES Zapper and :4rob: reps the NES Robot; original game was bundled with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt for the NES (Track Meet)

Track Meet is the guy in white clothes here. The guy in purple clothes could be one of his alts.

Honorable mentions: Advance Wars, Captain N, Golden Sun, Mole Mania, The Legendary Starfy

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So of all those, how many series realistically have a chance at getting a playable character for Smash?
Golden Sun. That's about it, really, unless Sakurai gets over his inhibitions and decides to put Takamaru in.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Of all those the ones that hurt the most not having a playable character are Golden Sun, Advance Wars and Sin & Punishment, at the least the first two ones i don't think could be considered obscure but rather forgotten (hopefully not dead) more disappointing is the untapped potential is for those 3 to gain relevancy again.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Out of all the Nintendo series there Advance Wars makes the most sense to put in behind Splatoon. It's a series with so much history on Nintendo consoles and is important to the company's history.

Not only that but it's the only series left that started out in the NES era (that went beyond the NES) that isn't playable in Smash Bros.

Just look at the history this series has.

This isn't even including the two Battalion Wars games for the Gamecube and the Wii.

The fact that Andy hasn't been playable in Smash Bros yet is a joke.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Splatoon will get a character. Rhythm Heaven will probably get a character.

ARMS will probably get a character if it proves successful enough for a sequel. Too early to judge.

Golden Sun and Advance Wars will get characters should they receive sequels.

Starfy, S&P, Chibi-Robo and Custom Robo may get characters should they receive sequels.

Takamaru will get included if his series is properly revived.

The rest, excluding hard to predict retro inclusions, have quite a ways to go imo. Right now, only Splatoon and RH seem overly plausible.

In any case, that's how I see it. And of course, no accounting for how likely it is we actually receive sequels in many of these series.

Also, W101 is missing from the list.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I also think people might be sleeping on Startropics as a possible series that could get in Smash Bros.

Mainly because Sakurai loves his retro's and Startropics is a noteworthy series from the NES days. It could also lead to that series being revived.

D

Deleted member

Starfy, S&P, Chibi-Robo and Custom Robo may get characters should they receive sequels.
We had a new Starfy, a new S&P, and new Chibi-Robos between Brawl and Smash 4.

Don't kid yourself.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We had a new Starfy, a new S&P, and new Chibi-Robos between Brawl and Smash 4.

Don't kid yourself.
As if the bar doesn't lower with each consecutive crop of characters included. Nintendo doesn't replenish their heavy hitters that quickly. That's why in two games we go from getting the likes of Peach and Bowser to Rosalina and Bowser Jr. They're not all gonna be "Nintendo's All-Stars".

The barrel gets closer to the bottom, the series in question get larger, the popularity shoots back up as it does with new games, and Smash focuses primarily on what's happened since the last title, as the trend seems to be. Bear in mind I was hardly unequivocal about their chances, but I don't think it's as ridiculous as you seem to posit.

I also think people might be sleeping on Startropics as a possible series that could get in Smash Bros.

Mainly because Sakurai loves his retro's and Startropics is a noteworthy series from the NES days. It could also lead to that series being revived.
I reason if he's going to keep out characters like Takamaru for not being recognizable enough worldwide the sword cuts both ways.

D

Deleted member

As if the bar doesn't lower with each consecutive crop of characters included. Nintendo doesn't replenish their heavy hitters that quickly. That's why in two games we go from getting the likes of Peach and Bowser to Rosalina and Bowser Jr. They're not all gonna be "Nintendo's All-Stars".

The barrel gets closer to the bottom, the series in question get larger, the popularity shoots back up as it does with new games, and Smash focuses primarily on what's happened since the last title, as the trend seems to be. Bear in mind I was hardly unequivocal about their chances, but I don't think it's as ridiculous as you seem to posit.
It's not a matter of "scraping the bottom of the barrel". It's a matter of "why the hell would new titles help characters from non-character represented franchises cut when new games haven't helped them before"?

It's simple logic really.
As the series progresses, there's going to be less new characters included.
It's not a matter of "so and so is not an 'All-Star'" as starting with Melee, we've been getting characters that hardly qualify for such a title. No, it's a matter of "we've got too many characters to include and balance already, so we're not going to arbitrarily include characters solely because their series have yet to have characters and said series has a new game".

Animal Crossing, Punch-Out, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, and Duck Hunt were the only new Nintendo franchise additions this time around character-wise, with Rhythm Heaven almost being another.

We've had a bunch more games for franchises without characters between Brawl and Smash 4, yet those were the only 5/6. Not only that, but only Punch-Out and Xenoblade had any real support for their characters, with Animal Crossing being seen as "not going to happen" because of Brawl. A huge amount of the other relevant series not having a character had the same amount of support if not more depending on the series/character.

So tell me, how exactly would that change in the future for characters/franchises that didn't get chosen for characters on multiple occasions when they could have easily been chosen in favor of certain other picks?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So tell me, how exactly would that change in the future for characters/franchises that didn't get chosen for characters on multiple occasions when they could have easily been chosen in favor of certain other picks?
Bad timing?
Lower priority?
Not knowing how to handle the moveset?

Those are some ideas I can think of. I wouldn't say those series had no chance at all. Also the series in question were made too early before Smash 4's development which really hurt their chances over more recent series like Xenoblade and Animal Crossing. It's also the reason I suspect that Golden Sun didn't make the cut for the roster.

Then there's the problem of those series being really niche. The only ones that are known on a semi-wide level are Golden Sun and Advance Wars.
I reason if he's going to keep out characters like Takamaru for not being recognizable enough worldwide the sword cuts both ways.
That's true.

We have seen Sakurai change his mind on these kinds of things though so maybe he'll reconsider. Although Jones would have to compete with Takamaru for that spot and usually Japanese characters get preferential treatment.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Don't forget that Nintendo would need Camelot's approval for a Golden Sun character. Nintendo may have co-developed the series, but then again, they co-developed Super Mario RPG and still needed Square Enix's approval to get Geno as a Mii costume.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Don't forget that Nintendo would need Camelot's approval for a Golden Sun character. Nintendo may have co-developed the series, but then again, they co-developed Super Mario RPG and still needed Square Enix's approval to get Geno as a Mii costume.
Nintendo owns the right to the IP though.

Square Enix owns the right to Geno.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I noticed that this list is missing Famicom Detective Club.

That and the recently announced ARMS.

Top Bottom