• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of New Remixes

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Nice to finally hear a Yoshi track!
Yoshi's New Island isn't the best Yoshi game, and honestly has a pretty poor soundtrack if you ask me... but this is quite a pleasant remix!

Thank goodness for no kazoos, eh?

BlueDrgn

Smash Cadet
Wellllllllllllll

At least it's better than nothing that he got a song?

God damn it I hate that game

(for reference, it's a yoshi's new island remix)

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Listened to it a few more times, I really quite enjoy this remix actually.

The acoustic guitar in the background kind of reminds me of a few other Yoshi songs!

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Leave it to Shota Kageyama to take a rather unremarkable and mediocre track and just do a 180 spin on it.

It ACTUALLY sounds like a track one would hear from a proper Yoshi title!

Then again he did do obstacle course previously so guess it comes with the territory.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The Ultimate versio of that melody is better than the 50 remixes of it that Yoshi's New Island has.

If They wanted a real challenge though, they should try to make THAT kazoo song in the game's intro sound good.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
I may have not been the only one to notice this but ever since Snake Eater Sakurai has been putting more info into the blog descriptions of music updates.

This was not the case with the likes of Bomb Rush Blush, Noisy Notebook, City Trail, and Megaman 4 Medley.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
A bit late for this but wanted to bring up something I've noticed and not sure if anyone else has.

During the showcase of new pokeball summons in the direct, that killer remix of the Gen 7 trainer battle sounds very distinctly like another awesome Jun Senoue rendition!

I say this cause if one listens very closely, it sounds like something ripped right out of the first stages of either the likes of Sonic Adventure or Sonic Heroes.

Has that incredibly recognizable guitar work from him not to mention the back-up keyboard synth sounds I wanna say?

Said insight makes me very happy all things considered since it's always nice to see composers like this work on more than one track as well as having him tackle stuff that isn't related to the blue blur!

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Hopefully we get EarthBound or Xenoblade music today. Worst case scenario is we get miscellaneous music but that's fine still.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
You know I was initially worried about there not being a whole lot of remixes compared to Brawl or even Wii U but then just got a small glimmer of hope in said regard when on the website under the About tab, it mentioned there's gonna be tons of new arrangements when it got to the music in addition to making it clear about how there are well over 800 tracks.

BlueDrgn

Smash Cadet
At this point, we have mario, Star fox, pokemon, mother/earthbound (not even gonna think of game and watch, ice climbers, or rob; none seem to have any), kid icarus, wario, pikmin, sonic (pleaaaaase), animal crossing, wii fit, punch out, xenoblade, duck hunt (at least an extended version of the trailer theme), pac-man, or miscellaneous

I'm hoping for earthbound/mother or sonic, I'll be pretty good with mario, star fox, pokemon, pikmin, or wario.

And it's dropped!

SMB3 Fortress boss

Part of me sorta wonders if this could perhaps transition into the final boss theme, but I doubt it

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Sounds awesome. I love all of the different instruments used, and I like how you can hear the classic SMB3 drum sample throughout.

Part of me sorta wonders if this could perhaps transition into the final boss theme, but I doubt it
I'm wondering about that too. Could be part of a medley with the song we heard in Bowser's trailer. It's definitely possible... but since "medley" isn't in the title I'm going to keep them listed as separate.

If they are separate songs, the fact that we are getting two new remixes of Bowser/fortress songs makes me hope the long-awaited Bowser's Castle stage is on the way.

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Another case of a tune that was remixed before but MAN I loooooooooooooove the direction this one took!

Also it's interesting it being it's own arrangement rather than being mashed up with another one.

Really glad Akihiro Honda is back, making him the second composer to return from Brawl after Jun Senoue after skipping a title.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully we get EarthBound or Xenoblade music today. Worst case scenario is we get miscellaneous music but that's fine still.
Well, I'm not too sure we're even getting a Xenoblade track sample just yet (depsite me wanting to see XC1 to get some music justice!). Every unique newcomer so far have had their series sample uploaded after we have known about their existence &, whist this isn't a concrete science (Bandarea Dee), it would definitely damper the chances of a series newcomer in the eyes of plenty of fans.

Like why already upload a Xenoblade sample if we're going to be getting, like (for example), Elma in Smash anyway. Wouldn't it make sense to have the sample correspond with/after her reveal, plus to have it also originate from Xenoblade X aswell?

Anyway, sorry about that, just wanted put that out there. Like you, I do really want to hear a Xenoblade arrangement (music justice for XC1!) soon but it is best to not get our hopes up until we know for sure if we're getting a Xenoblade Newcomer or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well then, that's an unexpected but whole-heartly welcomed arrangement in my book Time to dance!
https://media.giphy.com/media/pa37AAGzKXoek/giphy.gif

*Edit* I find it fascinating that both the Super Mario Bros 3 & Super Mario World Fortress Boss Themes were originally both arranged into a track in Brawl, then Sm4sh proceeded to give the SMW's one the full-on singular treatment, & now it's the SMB3's one turn around to receive the privilege! What a lovely musical story!!!

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I really like the SMB3 boss theme. I just wish there were a “darker” Mario stage to go with it. Why do we not have a full Bowser’s Castle stage yet?

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It was a very minor part of the medley accompanying the remix of SMW's Castle theme. I wouldn't consider it as "done justice before."

Personally I'm stoked, Akihiro Honda does amazing work with Metal Gear tracks (he made the MGS4 Love theme Brawl remix, which I'd assume is also returning).

Here's hoping if we get anything Smash related tomorrow it'll give us more sneak peeks at some new remixes (or show off more parts of ones that we haven't heard)

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
So Source Gaming just translated a fascinating Famitsu Column written by Sakurai about Smash Ultimate's soundtrack.

There's a lot of good insight, but what interests me the most is that this time, the composer's requests were prioritized for which songs get new remixes. Sakurai reached out to tons of famous composers from the video game industry, presented them with a list of thousands of songs, and let them choose which ones they wanted to arrange.

This is why the music selection has been very eclectic so far, and the entire soundtrack will probably continue to be this way. It will probably have remixes of a bunch of unexpected songs simply because somebody on the sound team thought it was a cool song!

A couple implications:
  1. As Sakurai notes, there will probably be a fair bit of imbalance in terms of the distribution of new songs per series. He specifically mentions Castlevania, Mega Man, and Fire Emblem as being very popular among the composers, and thus they have a lot of new arrangements.
  2. No song is really a "safe guess" or a "shoe-in" anymore. Just because a song is popular with fans doesn't mean it will necessarily be remixed or even be included at all. For example, songs like "Jump Up Superstar" from Odyssey or "Calimari Inkantation" from Splatoon are fan-favourites among fans, but if nobody on the sound team chose to remix them, we might just not get a remix.
Now I'm even more interested in what the final soundtrack will be like. I'm hoping some hidden gems and more obscure songs and games will get some attention!

Its cool that the composers are getting so much freedom to choose what they want to arrange, but the downside to this is that there is some clear bias/preference towards certain franchises, making for a rather lopsided distribution. I'm hoping that some steps were taken to make sure that smaller series like EarthBound, Pikmin, Xenoblade got their fair share of tracks.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
With that news of Fire Emblem being a favorite among some of the composers, I can only hope that love will be spread out a little more than what we’ve seen so far. I know it’s wrong to complain when your series is already getting preferential treatment, but the fact that 3 of the 5 remixes we have are from AwakeFates, and another from the mobile game.
That’s all fine and dandy, but there are so many amazing tracks from older games in the series, and it would feel like a waste of potential to only hear new versions of 3DS FE tracks.

I love that article, though. Puts a lot of unseen depth to the process of Smash music, and it’s interesting to hear that Sakurai is pushing for more “exciting” remixes.

BlueDrgn

Smash Cadet
Interesting how they pretty much all but said Final fantasy, Sonic, and bayonetta don't really get much due to rights. I do wonder if at least modern sonic songs have less red tape given i believe Sega has more control over them compared to the genesis and CD, and I don't see them being quite as stingy. Also, I think I can sorta see why some existing songs might have gotten re-remixed now: the new composers want to take their own cracks at them regardless of being done before, which, while it still bothers me slightly, does put it in a better light.

Now though, I am sorta curious about how some parts operate

A) Are there any songs where they were basically required to be remixed, regardless of if anyone wanted to (for some reason to me, what first comes to my mind is a pokemon battle theme remix if somehow no one wanted to do Sun/Moon trainer)

B) is there at least some sort of quota for certain franchises: e.g. "we need at least one new yoshi remix, one new star fox remix, ect." or could they conceivably be left bare?

C) how are direct port songs chosen? is it "no one touched it, we really should have it in?" Do one of the composers say "look, this song is too great to be remixed, you need to put it in as is?"

D) Is there any sort of thought process behind older remixes, or was it just "let's bring pretty much all of them in, leave out a small number from brawl and 4"

EDIT: I looked closer, i think the direct port thing/required to be in was sorta half answered with "some of them would be implemented as is."
Also, now I'm trying to think what other songs could be tricky to touch. I can imagine at least some earthbound/mother songs are a no-no with their constant sampling, maybe some of the games made by more "outside" developers (e.g. the capcom made Zelda games or maybe Rare DK songs even with how much the jungle theme gets used?)

Second Edit: Given how it's likely all the composers are once again Japanese, I wonder if perhaps that's why there aren't any remixes from Prime outside a song already in brawl, given how in general Metroid prime isn't popular especially (metroid isn't in general, but like Prime especially), and if that's at all meant other franchises more popular in America like Sonic or Punch out don't get much music as a result? And also, given how composers were chosen about March of 2017, which is seemingly when most characters would be finished, I wonder if at least one piece of music is designated specifically for a new character on that list (a metroid prime song for dark samus, some more awakening for Chrom, the new ridley remix, gangplank galleon) or if the composers happaned to pick songs which worked enough (given daisy so far has been associated with either a brawl remix or a direct port, which possibly suggest lack of new music suiting her such as from mario land or a spin off)

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Darn.

I reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally wish I could read said translation but source gaming is currently down.

I figured he'd just let the composers do what they want so if certain franchises don't have much compared to others, then so be it.

Did they explicitly say to not expect any new arrangements from either Sonic or Bayonetta?

BlueDrgn

Smash Cadet
Not quite

more just some songs can be a lot harder to get/pay for with having to talk to another company

Sonic, bayonetta, and FF all come to mind

(also, bayonetta has the same number of songs as smash 4 so there's a decent chance unless one was replaced, Sonic I think has a chance)

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm overjoyed that the music team seemed to take a liking to a lot of Mega Man tracks. As a massive fan of the series, one of my longtime complaints was that great songs in the later games weren't given much attention, so this is great news for me. :grin:

Hoping for some solid new additions and replacements to the Sonic selection this time around as well. I'm skeptical on if we'll see anything remixed after getting nothing of the sort in 4, but who knows. A Mania track and a Forces track are a definite shoe-in, though, in my opinion.

DragonKent17

Smash Rookie
While i'm still not happy over the lack of FF music (seriously One Wing Angel should be added there forreal), While im happy some composers has bee given free liberty to compose a song from a franchise with the exception certain franchises for being off limits. (*cough*Final Fantasy*cough*, *cough*Sonic the Hedgehog*cough*).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not related to confirmed music, but we know Sega and/or Sakurai can’t be fully blamed for Sonic music not getting remixed bu other composers...we can just “blame” them for not wanting to do Sonic music

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not related to confirmed music, but we know Sega and/or Sakurai can’t be fully blamed for Sonic music not getting remixed bu other composers...we can just “blame” them for not wanting to do Sonic music
yeah thats probably also the reason why we keep get remixes of the same song

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
In light of this, I am no longer worried about what new arrangements there are as I would rather have high quality remixes with real heart and passion put into them rather than obligated ones due to the fandom that a composer would have little care or interest in working on.

Last edited:

BlueDrgn

Smash Cadet
yeah, It did at least put off some of my concern with how we got a few "redudnant" remixes so far (fire field in the f zero medley, luigi's mansion, mario 3 boss battle, ect.) though I still am a tiny bit miffed for when it applies to series that don't have too many songs from certain games (e.g. I would love some more DKC2, 3 and 64 music as oppossed to DKC1, though at least I doubt jungle theme will get more than one new remix).

As for Sonic, while I understand his lack of popularity in Japan might partly affect his songs, I feel like his soundtracks are still pretty well regarded, so I feel like he would get at least one new remix or two. To my knowledge, the bigger problem would be that the genesis soundtracks have some rights issues (sonic 1 and 2 were by some other band, sonic 3 has Micheal Jackson likely, and I think CD apparently had a problem or two prior to the re release).

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
As for Sonic, while I understand his lack of popularity in Japan might partly affect his songs, I feel like his soundtracks are still pretty well regarded, so I feel like he would get at least one new remix or two. To my knowledge, the bigger problem would be that the genesis soundtracks have some rights issues (sonic 1 and 2 were by some other band, sonic 3 has Micheal Jackson likely, and I think CD apparently had a problem or two prior to the re release).
As far as I know, Sonic 1 and 2 generally don't seem to have many issues with rights since Green Hill and Chemical Plant remixes are aplenty even nowadays in the series. 3 has always been ambiguous due to SEGA never coming out and speaking on the matter, but what is known is that the & Knuckles half is pretty much free for them to use. Only problem with CD that I'm aware of is that You Can Do Anything's original vocal version isn't up for use anymore ever since the singer passed away (I think, I could be wrong but this is what I've heard).

Still, I don't think Sonic's lack of popularity should play a part in him lacking in an amount of songs. He is still by far the most important third party to have been included in Smash as a result of the 90s console wars. More than likely SEGA is just being stingy.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Hey everyone, I thought it would be fun to make a poll to find out what is the most popular of the new remixes!

VOTE HERE!

I figured it would be too cruel for me to make you pick just one, so I've allowed you to vote for your top 3! Of course, we don't know the full soundtrack yet - every time a new song is added to the website I will update the poll, and you can freely edit your response if you want to change your selections!

Feel free to share your top three picks and why you like them in this thread!

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Had to go with Vega’s theme for starters. I’m not sure if that piano flourish at the beginning is from a classical piece or the game music itself but I got the vibe of the former. And the whole arrangement is just so Vega :)

Can’t wait to hear more songs!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey everyone, I thought it would be fun to make a poll to find out what is the most popular of the new remixes!

VOTE HERE!

I figured it would be too cruel for me to make you pick just one, so I've allowed you to vote for your top 3! Of course, we don't know the full soundtrack yet - every time a new song is added to the website I will update the poll, and you can freely edit your response if you want to change your selections!

Feel free to share your top three picks and why you like them in this thread!
breath of the wild theme, bomb rush blush and gangplank galleon

Top Bottom