• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Links to the Past - A P:M Link video & discussion thread

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Here's some recent games of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql9TbtO3TO0 (vs Bullet Bill, MMR3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN-0gJAKJno (vs Swizzy, SoDI2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaOHY7pjcA0 (vs Luigimitsu, SoDI2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkgt5KvK5Lw (vs VA, SoDI2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDyic1Ji5NQ (vs Professor Pro, SoDI2) [Game 2 Prof could have won, Game 4 I won legit, Game 5 I could have potentially won but he wanted to troll.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bRuD_wOTI (vs Fuzzyness, SoDI2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5a4lNSqXI (vs Professor Pro, SoDI2)

D

Deleted member

I know this sounds stupid, but he lost 2-0 so maybe its not a good resource for link players :s

D

Deleted member

My teeth hurt because the wire on my braces was changed

I'm on that ice cream life.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I discovered recently another trick that could be quite useful with Link. Some may deem it as unnecessary tech. I think it's a fun trick none the less. Pull out a bomb, jump, and near the peak of your first jump drop the bomb with z, afterwards use your double jump to do a backflip, and finally use the Zair to knock the bomb away. It's an aerial bomb punt! You need to space it correctly in order to perform it correctly. I see it as useful because you could arc a bomb at many more different heights than Link is limited to with the original bomb punt. It's a very neat trick. I've used it in play before. I wish I had a better demonstration but this will do as an example. You can see it at 2:32 in the video. Aerial Bomb Punt sounds like a good name for it. http://youtu.be/Rx6qmtdPins

Also another neat trick I haven't seen used enough is a trick I like to call the Bomb Hover. The Bomb Hover provides constant shield pressure. By throwing a bomb down from above onto a shielding opponent below you or jumping above them and simply dropping it with Z from above, the bomb with bounce on top of the shield whittling down their shield, giving shield pressure, and forcing them to act quickly with limited options. You can see it used effectively at 6:50 in this video. http://youtu.be/j2v7tHi_8bQ

I'd like to know what any of you think. Have you seen these tricks before? Do you think they're useful?

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Note the date of this video :p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wohXeAz-A&t=30s

And yes, throwing or Z dropping a bomb onto the top of someones shield is common tech.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if the bomb drop or bomb hover was common tech. I rarely see Links' use it.

@ NickRiddle NickRiddle I've only been able to do that a handful of times. Do I move away after I Z drop and then hit Zair? Also the backflip bomb punt is unnecessary like I said earlier. I just thought it looked flashy and feels fun to mess around with. Bomb tricks are so much fun!

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Bomb tricks are indeed fun. I saw you doing a lot of my stuff on stream last time I watched and it made me hype hah. I never see other links do my riskier bomb tricks.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Bomb tricks are indeed fun. I saw you doing a lot of my stuff on stream last time I watched and it made me hype hah. I never see other links do my riskier bomb tricks.
Thanks man! I learned it from you papa :) I need to up my fundamentals. I think my tech is pretty solid where it stands. I had some nervous flubs last week. But normally my tech is solid. I learned all the tech I know from Smashboards, this thread, you, your vids, watching countless styles of other Links play. I've seen you, Lazarond, Nick Riddle, AeroLink, and the list goes on. All the Links' I see in tournament just make me want to become a better player. I practice 30 minutes 3-5 times a week at minimum(job keeps me tied down too much).

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I learned it from you papa :)
I will say though that you do them more than I do in tournament matches and that probably isn't a good thing haha. Don't over-do it with the flash unless that is just your goal in general. You can still style on people and play pretty optimally :p. You want to use bomb tricks as mix-up options, not BnB options.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I will say though that you do them more than I do in tournament matches and that probably isn't a good thing haha. Don't over-do it with the flash unless that is just your goal in general. You can still style on people and play pretty optimally :p. You want to use bomb tricks as mix-up options, not BnB options.
The thing with my playstyle is that I have too much fun with the bombs to stop. The main reason I do the tricks is for mind games. They'll hear the bomb drop and then it'll be flying towards them all of the sudden. I don't over do it too much though. I like to do things like re throw the bomb at their shield to intimidate them of the item tech I can do so they better not throw items at me lol. Also, I enjoy using the AGT to re throw my bomb down a few times and the last throw I re grab the bomb into a waveland on stage. It's far less predictable then fast fall Dair. AGT is just so good for movement in general.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
The Hylian bomb techs are turning heads big time here in Aus. "Pugnator knows a thing or two about Link!" The commentators say.

I learned it all from you, Hylian! <3

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
The Hylian bomb techs are turning heads big time here in Aus. "Pugnator knows a thing or two about Link!" The commentators say.

I learned it all from you, Hylian! <3
Dude. Bomb tech is so great. It gives you such an advantage on characters that can rely on item games like Diddy Kong with his bananas, Peach with turnips, etc. People love bomb tech. Using it for movement is the most fun for me.

Renth

Smash Hero
pretty sure you were the LAST person I expected to see in here.

<3 Renth
I went to a melee tournament darrell, PM had a much larger attendance so I gave it ago. I hadn't played pm in 5-6 months before entering this either.

<3 themeleeguy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What do you guys think of my Link? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgEDTHUF-pM

I'm trying to have the speedy style like AeroLink's Link since he's my favorite Link player. I still need to work on my bombs and zair though. I still have so much I need to improve with my Link though before I feel confident with him.

D

Deleted member

AeroLink is speedy and has good tech skill but his matches aren't speedy :awesome:

D

Deleted member

AeroLink is speedy and has good tech skill but his matches aren't speedy :awesome:
holy **** it's lunchables! I saw your guys match, he was doing some intense camping, but that's not the style I want to go with my Link. Maybe that's why I'm bad with bombs? His match with Sethlon that I watched was much faster paced and is more my style of Link that I'm trying to work towards.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
holy **** it's lunchables! I saw your guys match, he was doing some intense camping, but that's not the style I want to go with my Link. Maybe that's why I'm bad with bombs? His match with Sethlon that I watched was much faster paced and is more my style of Link that I'm trying to work towards.
Link is a character that revolves around zoning. Although many of his other options are good, he is built around zoning. Speed should not be the top priority. You need to think what move to use in what situation. Work on optimizing your punish game, reading patterns of your opponents, and thinking before using options.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
AL is known for timing people out in friendlies haha, you definitely do not want to copy his style if that is what you want.

D

Deleted member

AeroLink was playing vs k9 during the first or second night of ltc2 when we got home. k9 kept getting so mad because sergio just picked metaknight and ACTUALLY ledge camped for 7 minutes while he threw out **** like "METAKNIGHT IS 123 EASY BAKE OVEN!"

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Lol. Metaknight is very solid when it comes to edgegaurding. Also I saw you play Lunchables I like your Toon Link very much. I love the frame trap edgegaurd. Down angled boomerang near the ledge, as it's coming back the opponent is forced to get knicked by the rang or roll on stage which by then you're charging a forward smash(Regular Link just Up B) and it wrecks them. Unless there's a platform to recover above like Skyworld or Smashville(sometimes).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

lol I don't think I'd start a trash talking thread on here, guess it's time to go work on my spacing!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Lol. Metaknight is very solid when it comes to edgegaurding. Also I saw you play Lunchables I like your Toon Link very much. I love the frame trap edgegaurd. Down angled boomerang near the ledge, as it's coming back the opponent is forced to get knicked by the rang or roll on stage which by then you're charging a forward smash(Regular Link just Up B) and it wrecks them. Unless there's a platform to recover above like Skyworld or Smashville(sometimes).
Could I have a :4link: to a video of this happening?

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Here is a playlist of all of the matches I've participated in. Skip the crew battles(unless you'd like to watch) and the friendlies. I'd love to hear critiques. I'm aware of the less tech, more fundamentals. I'm working on that. I'm also in the process of ridding of a few bad habits. I've also learned far more about mechanics of utter importance such as power shielding and Crouch Canceling and have been hard at work implementing them into my play. Anyways. Have at it! Let me know what you think. What I'm doing correctly and incorrectly. Even without critique feel free to watch for entertainment purposes! :link2:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRI6n4TVB7NkdPKbqc-AqdKHQjpuaOZPG

This thread is real nice and I've learned so much from the Link forums in general. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for any advice you've given me in the past, and any advice you plan to give in the future.

Your fellow Link main,
-ITALIAN N1NJA

D

Deleted member

Here is a playlist of all of the matches I've participated in. Skip the crew battles(unless you'd like to watch) and the friendlies. I'd love to hear critiques. I'm aware of the less tech, more fundamentals. I'm working on that. I'm also in the process of ridding of a few bad habits. I've also learned far more about mechanics of utter importance such as power shielding and Crouch Canceling and have been hard at work implementing them into my play. Anyways. Have at it! Let me know what you think. What I'm doing correctly and incorrectly. Even without critique feel free to watch for entertainment purposes! :link2:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRI6n4TVB7NkdPKbqc-AqdKHQjpuaOZPG

This thread is real nice and I've learned so much from the Link forums in general. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for any advice you've given me in the past, and any advice you plan to give in the future.

Your fellow Link main,
-ITALIAN N1NJA
After watching a few matches I think you should work on your dash dancing. Even though Link has a pretty ****ty dash dance it still has lots of uses, you're full on sprinting everywhere and get the slow turn around animation. Your move choice is pretty spot on though, and better then mine. Your link is also pretty slow, which being super aggressive with Link can sometimes be beneficial, mostly when you've beaten them in the neutral and are comboing them. I'd say the neutral and spacing is your strong suit which you abuse well. Also I don't see you converting off of jabs much, I saw you just triple jab or rapid jab. which you're missing out on the awesome double jab to up-b kill combo or double jab or pretty much anything else. These are just my thoughts after watching a few matches, I'm still only an amateur Link so take my word with a grain of salt. Hope that helps. Also good job on making him drink that smoothie of shame, favorite quote of the fox/falco match lol.

Also where did you get that sweet controller?

Last edited by a moderator:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
After watching a few matches I think you should work on your dash dancing. Even though Link has a pretty ****ty dash dance it still has lots of uses, you're full on sprinting everywhere and get the slow turn around animation. Your move choice is pretty spot on though, and better then mine. Your link is also pretty slow, which being super aggressive with Link can sometimes be beneficial, mostly when you've beaten them in the neutral and are comboing them. I'd say the neutral and spacing is your strong suit which you abuse well. Also I don't see you converting off of jabs much, I saw you just triple jab or rapid jab. which you're missing out on the awesome double jab to up-b kill combo or double jab or pretty much anything else. These are just my thoughts after watching a few matches, I'm still only an amateur Link so take my word with a grain of salt. Hope that helps. Also good job on making him drink that smoothie of shame, favorite quote of the fox/falco match lol.

Also where did you get that sweet controller?
I don't dash dance much you're right. Aggression is not always the best choice. Link is a character that works off of punish game. I try to find an opening and get a hard punish in. I convert off of jabs usually. There are times when I do make mistakes though. It happens. I usually like to do jab jab>grab>dthow/upthrow(upthrow if its a fast faller usually)> into up tilt chain/dash attack chain. If the percent is right and I know its a character I can perform a proper conversion on, I'll go for the Impalement (jab jab>grab>dthow>short hop/full hop>Down Air). That set up is guaranteed on half of the cast at the proper percent.

About the controller. I literally looked up something along the lines of custom controllers and found a thread on smashboards of this man who creates them for people as a business. He was a very nice individual to cooperate with and the pricing wasn't bad. I really enjoy my custom controller and use it all the time versus my other white controller.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Simmonick

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, I went up against a really good Kirby, So of course I tried to throw projectiles at him and he just ended up ducking under them and out prioritizing them with his dash attack ( the fireball). Every time I tried to get space he just closed it with that move. And once he got me offstage he would gimp me with his nair and then return with his b-up. SO the question is, how would ya'll go about fighting a Kirby?

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Alright guys, I went up against a really good Kirby, So of course I tried to throw projectiles at him and he just ended up ducking under them and out prioritizing them with his dash attack ( the fireball). Every time I tried to get space he just closed it with that move. And once he got me offstage he would gimp me with his nair and then return with his b-up. SO the question is, how would ya'll go about fighting a Kirby?
Lots and lots of well placed Ftilts.

Top Bottom