• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
theres no way the lag time in link's d-tilt can have an opening for and waveslide attack unless u simply sit there and do nothing with it. the d-tilt have less lag time then his dsmash and just about any shffl can interrupt link aftr his 2nd jab, but i do understand how much lag time there is in it and i wuldnt recommend doin every time. if ur opponent can anticipate it, then u need to switch up ur shield pressure techniques. jus cuz link' hookshot is his best recovery, u wuldnt do it every time cuz then its easy to guard. i didnt even throw in the fact that u can grab, i was jus using one sequence of attacks to shield pressure. i still think dtilt is effective if not spammed, but thanks stos for clearing up the lag time for others

cjugs

Smash Ace
theres no way the lag time in link's d-tilt can have an opening for and waveslide attack unless u simply sit there and do nothing with it. the d-tilt have less lag time then his dsmash and just about any shffl can interrupt link aftr his 2nd jab, but i do understand how much lag time there is in it and i wuldnt recommend doin every time. if ur opponent can anticipate it, then u need to switch up ur shield pressure techniques. jus cuz link' hookshot is his best recovery, u wuldnt do it every time cuz then its easy to guard. i didnt even throw in the fact that u can grab, i was jus using one sequence of attacks to shield pressure. i still think dtilt is effective if not spammed, but thanks stos for clearing up the lag time for others
Link's dtilt does not cause enough hitstun to keep them in shield and it has to much lag and they CAN wd to grab or fair nair because it takes link about 23 frames to put it back away after he hits which is more than enough time for someone to get out of stun and hit you. the dsmash comes out in 9 frames but takes longer to put away so we agree they are both laggy so why would you consider either for shield pressure?
I have never been interupted after my second jab unless it's a spin attack in diitos because link's second jab goes away in about 4 or 5 frames you can jab again which takes 6 frames so at most 11 frames doesn't sound like anyone could do anything to me oos with proper spacing.I disagree again lol with links best recovery being hookshot it's far more edgeguardable then his upb.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
SO I GOT A REQUEST TO MAKE A GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD IN THIS B**** SO EVERYBODY CAN COME IN HERE AND STOP MAKING NEW THREADS ABOUT THE HOOKSHOT GLITCH 'N' S***.

SO RATHER THAN GO THROUGH THE EFFORT OF PRESSING NEW TOPIC AND LIKE, MAKING A NEW TOPIC, I THOUGHT IT'D BE 10X KOOLER FOR ME TO JUST HI-JACK THIS THREAD LIKE IM FROM HYRULE AND DUB THIS YE DISCUSSION OF GENERAL TOPICNESS.

or...

or something.

Merry xmas.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya that was pretty tight. i've never rlly been punished yet from using a dtilt or dsmash, yet. so i guess it would help. i play a lot of marth mains and i always get hit by his up-b after my 2nd jab, so i do need hlpe around that. and like i said bfo, the dsmash and dtilt purpose is mainly jus to shield stab. the only way to get around that rlly is to be light shielding, which i still dont see many using except of an opponents spawn. but this is wat this thread is about, figuring out how to better link's meta-game. so is it reasonable to say that unless it's to shield stab, dtilt n dsmash are as effective in shield pressure?

cjugs

Smash Ace
Tough call on which one you should use to shield stab on one hand the dsmash is faster to come out on the other dtilt takes less time to come out of if you do get the hit and since it takes longer the shield will probably get a little bit smaller. it may depend on the character or the person i'm going to use the dsmash because of quickness, but against the more worse people who aren't techy oos i may use the dtilt i've never seen the dtilt use in a combo it seems to throw them to high vs the dsmash i have seen lots of them.
I would have to say unless the intention is to shield poke they are not a good idea of shield pressure. What do you think about tech chasing? the dtilt may be better because i don't think it is easily cc does the dtilt hit em to far or am i imagining things?

Skler

Smash Master
I'll come out and say it.

The dtilt is probably Link's worst move. Its only practical use is as an edgeguard on sloped stages since it follows how the stage bends. Any time you'd hit with a dtilt a grab would work better. Dtilt has way too much startup and too small of a hitbox. Dsmash is superior in almost every way (it just trades startup lag for ending lag and gains a sweetspot).

The arrow might actually be more useful than the dtilt, and the arrow is pretty horrible.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I'll come out and say it.

The dtilt is probably Link's worst move. Its only practical use is as an edgeguard on sloped stages since it follows how the stage bends. Any time you'd hit with a dtilt a grab would work better. Dtilt has way too much startup and too small of a hitbox. Dsmash is superior in almost every way (it just trades startup lag for ending lag and gains a sweetspot).

The arrow might actually be more useful than the dtilt, and the arrow is pretty horrible.
Agreed but when you say a grab would be better if you are trying to get a tech in place grab has to be done on guessing not reaction so in this case grab is not better because if you miss you will surely be punished. links dsmash is good but has anyone landed a dsmash dair? every time i try to set it up they go diagonal up and away i can't get um are people DIing towards you in order to go straight up? dtilt seems to be the same way about this. On the contrary the bow is his best move in which it works as a mindgame just show it to them and they become instantly terrified.

Moooose

Smash Champion
Ok, so I decided that I'm sick of hearing people dog Link and say thats he's unworthy of being a main because he is too easily comboed and has terrible matchup against characters like sheik, falcon, fox ect. So I think we need to start compiling some of the best known smashers in each state and begin testing out our Links against these players. I've seen videos of HDL beating SS, Germ beating DSF and Skler beating Sliq. Therefore anything is possible and people dont understand the amount of time and patience it take to main Link

As such, some of the top players (that I know or heard of) in MI are Dope(falco), Shaeden(falco), Scotu(fox), Ankoku(peach), Anther(#1pika), Lain, Juggleguy(falcon), Mikey Lenetia(peach), Duck(falco) and Moose(samus). There are probably quite a few more who I dont know of, but until then, these are my MI targets. Post and setup your state and see if we can't put competitive Links onto the scene more. SSBM where amazing happens
fyi the good players of michigan are

shaeden, velynn, and bigy

and i play falco not samus

Spife

Smash Master
Stos, since you're posting more here would you mind posting more in my heart too? It's lonely ******...

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Agreed but when you say a grab would be better if you are trying to get a tech in place grab has to be done on guessing not reaction so in this case grab is not better because if you miss you will surely be punished. links dsmash is good but has anyone landed a dsmash dair? every time i try to set it up they go diagonal up and away i can't get um are people DIing towards you in order to go straight up? dtilt seems to be the same way about this. On the contrary the bow is his best move in which it works as a mindgame just show it to them and they become instantly terrified.
i'd recommend a dsmash fair, or a dash dair. cuz like we said, his dsmash has too much lag and hes too slow to finish it

fyi the good players of michigan are

shaeden, velynn, and bigy

and i play falco not samus
well thx, sry i mixed u n duck up for sum reason and i didnt think bigy lived in MI. have to ditto link him soon

cjugs

Smash Ace
Yeah but it's not slow enough to where missing a tech in place you wouldn't be punished on so it isn't a bad idea i've noticed it to be tough to land tho.
Stos.
you should come to Indian for POE3 and so should pacman. sliq will be there along with other great players.
I've heard that him and legan are getting really good at planting bombs everywhere, sadly this can't be done against any top tiers they're to fast or i should say any good top tiers only useful in dittos and peach jiggs and lower tiers.

_KuyaSombreo_

Smash Ace
someone should play doubles, use the bomb dash glitch to save their teammate from getting rested or something, then GET IT RECORDED

it doesnt matter if it's staged or not, that would just be awesome

oh yeah, and then does anyone else use bomb tech rolling?
its good for covering a lot of ground quickly and it only costs link 4%

cjugs

Smash Ace
I'll look at it on youtube to see what it is.
I don't think that's a good idea for one 4 damage can be the difference between surviving a fox upsmash or falcon uthrow knee, and i don't think it's a good idea because it's rare that you will have a bomb when you need to approach by covering quickly i would just throw it and same it's rare if you need to hit them to the other side of the stage if you have a bomb you should just bthrow the bomb to grab the ledge i don't think you should incorporate that into your game it's a impressive thought and keep thinking because lord knows link needs to be faster.

cjugs

Smash Ace
LOL the bomb dash will probably only come anywhere close to helping unless it's done from a platform which is rare but would in fact be amazing.

Blazing

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys there are some new videos of HDL on the link video thread, tought you should check them out. I do some silly stuff but there still good matches xD

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
another mario question. his jabs are incredibly quick. i've been trying to find the right frame in which to try and nair outta my shield but have been having a lil difficulties finding it. is it just better to roll away or try n side step the initial hit (since link has long duration on his) or shuld i continue to try and nair?

huMps

Smash Ace
roll away. Mario isn't too hard to space against due to his reach, you should be on the offensive more for this match up IMO. Pressure him with jabs and out prioritize him in the air. watch GERM vs shroomed mario there is a very rescent video. And shroomed has no answers for the hero of time.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
ya i play against of MI's so-proclaimed #1 mario, so i kno the match-up pretty well. and right, if im spacing correctly, i shuld never get caught in my shield. but occassionally it happens and wen mario gets inside, he comboes better then falco. ive just notice different changes in out match-up lately since he's tryin to beat me. the double fireball will beat link, so if u have a bombo n rang still n hand, hold and get around. ur nair has priority ovr just about every attack, except his bair will gain if he's comn down on u

cjugs

Smash Ace
I don't know this matchup. But a bit of advice i can offer is upb oos it works. I wouldn't roll away because if he is number 1 he didn't get that by being stupid he is going to catch onto this rolling oos against him and he's a mario the only char you absolutely have to roll oos are drill/ pillar shines or maybe any of the top tiers anyway i like to sh boomerang away when i am held in my shield they may get frustrated at first and he may try to run after you but that's the beauty of it the rang comes out and if it hits strong it's like 18 damage and a whole lota hit stun plenty of time to let u hit a dair. careful his only option other than to leave you alone is grab before you throw it or space it right then right to grab tht's when i like to grab while they are in shield or if i don't wanna risk a grab i jab with the 1 1 2 1 12 avoiding the third jab you have to jab quickly though because when you grab the rang it puts you in stun while you grab it, unless you jab at the right time.
Stos i saw it and i almost cried i went out and got my buzz lightyear from storage such a good series. My only complaint is that buzz didn't do enough butt kickin he's a bad *** he should be owning those sunny side scrubs.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I love the fact that this had NOTHING to do with LINK! LMAOAOAOAOA

But yeah I second the notion.

It does.. one of the movie's message is to never give up..

As for Link, never give up even though your down stocks..

=D

edit: The movie brought peeled-back smiles and teary eyes to my face..

cjugs

Smash Ace

It does.. one of the movie's message is to never give up..

As for Link, never give up even though your down stocks..

=D

edit: The movie brought peeled-back smiles and teary eyes to my face..
That seems to be the message for almost all movies, but nice comeback i wouldn't have thought of that again i must say amazing movie. I haven't heard about a zelda movie other than that one joke i say on IGN.
Nice match is that the best person you play against?

Skler

Smash Master
I'm going to make a movie where the message is "give up or you'll only face disappointment and failure in a public setting that you shall never live down and will hang above your head as if it were a banner of shame."

On a brighter note, and also on a sadder note, some of my tourny matches at mass madness got recorded. The sad part is that all of the ones on the live stream were not recorded, so unless you were watching it you missed me vs kage and a bunch of other people. Sucks to be you, doesn't it?

Skler vs Yedi

Skler vs Hax 1

Skler vs Hax 2

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUCr1uTFWXk&feature=channel

hey just some **** match that i wanted your guys opinion on
ay i kinda liked that dsmash until dtilt, but that only works on a CC, so did u alrdy kno that he was goin to CC or was it a lucky guess?

skler, ur first match against Hax, on the first stock u landed a dash attack and then went to a double jab. y did u do it that way? were u lookn to get a grab? cuz i usually go straight for the dsmash aftr and then fair

Top Bottom