• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link training grounds [Wii U Edition]

FSK

Smash Ace
soooooo I rewatched this magnificent piece of Link art recently

and I remember I used this stage a lot in the brawl stage and got very good use out of it. This led me to ponder about the possibility to remake the stage smash 4 style. Long story short I did remake parts of it as you can see here (sorry for the bad quality and all that)

the problem however is that two sections of the old training ground is not relevant anymore (Yoshi's wall and PS1's slopes). Therefore we need something relevant to this game to fill in for it, since the custom stage is a bit empty at the moment. I would love for suggestions on what to add!

I will try to include some build details later on for anyone that wants to build it. The BF and FD match perfectly with stage length and platform lengths and heights.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Damn FSK, so good, so happy to have this stage back. I also got great use out of arkive's version, most of my tech skill is thanks to that stage, though it was missing what you added now, a stage tech section.

Where can we download it from?

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I will try to include some build details later on for anyone that wants to build it. The BF and FD match perfectly with stage length and platform lengths and heights.
You're a very good person!
I hadn't even thought of this since Brawl.

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
Patiently waiting for the details as well. I love this.

FSK

Smash Ace
@ Elessar Elessar Sadly there is no DL feature at the moment for the Wii U so I cant share it directly. The best I can do is include enough information about the stage to make it possible for you to make it yourself.

Still I need some help with ideas for the upper left part of the stage. Maybe another stage I should include? or some other thing?

I recently added another stage teching setup in the top left, but I'm not sure if its anything of interest. I'm waiting for better suggestions. I'll try to include a picture of the while stage later today maybe.

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
I just copied a smashketball one last night. All it took was a pic, with the grid showing. Not sure if they used a camera, or if pictures are supported on the stage creator. I forget.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Do you know if the Duck Hunt stage is tournament legal? Because it has walls much like the old Yoshi's Island stage.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
It's in the possibly legal group, or at least it was last time I checked. However, the problem aren't the walls but the new bomb mechanics. Yoshi's stage walls used to help recovery since you could bomb them and get hurt thus thrown up from the knockback. Now with the new mechanics that exploaion won't hit Link.

FSK

Smash Ace
It's in the possibly legal group, or at least it was last time I checked. However, the problem aren't the walls but the new bomb mechanics. Yoshi's stage walls used to help recovery since you could bomb them and get hurt thus thrown up from the knockback. Now with the new mechanics that exploaion won't hit Link.
also the bomb won't explode either it will just bounce off.

tsubject72

Smash Rookie
i was wondering
I remade the FD portion of the stage but the rest came out... interesting, to say the least. i was wondering if you were going to be sharing the build details sometime soon.

FSK

Smash Ace
i was wondering

I remade the FD portion of the stage but the rest came out... interesting, to say the least. i was wondering if you were going to be sharing the build details sometime soon.
sorry about the massive delay I'll get the details up tomorrow

FSK

Smash Ace
Finally updated the original post with build details!!!

I added a stage tech follow-up practice area in the top left.

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
So if any of you haven't figured it out yet, I'm kind of a perfectionist. I copied the training grounds just as FSK had it block for block and it was bugging me that some of the lengths weren't quite right. Please don't take this the wrong way, FSK, I'm not trying to belittle your hard work. I'm just saying my OCD kicked in and I had to tweak your stage a bit.

Change log:
  • Fixed battlefield and final destination so they are the proper length
  • Adjusted the height of the platforms on battlefield (had to turn the grid off to get them just right)
  • Replicated the underside of battlefield and final destination
  • Merged the tech area in the top left with the tech area in the bottom right
  • Made the top of the tech area the same length as FD so it doubles as an omega variation stage with walls down the side
  • Removed the Hyrule Temple safe edge because the top of the tech area basically covers that now
  • Added a new section in the top left that's a blend of kongo jungle and castle siege.

Entire Stage
Kongo Siege
Final Destination
Tech Area
Battlefield

The Kongo Siege area was the best thing I could come up with for a new section. I figured with Bomb's new properties of not exploding when soft thrown against a slope it might be useful to practice. Plus I just have a feeling there's some other things we might be able to do with the slopes.

FSK

Smash Ace
That is awesome! What did you do to get the exact measurements?

Kongo siege is a good idea, I've been thinking about that stage as a Link for counterpick.

When it comes to the stage teching area that is below the omega teching area. I just added it randomly cause I was out of ideas, but the point of it was to practice followups after you teched that stage. Now that its below the teching area its purpose is kinda gone, so maybe its better to just remove it and get some more separation between FD and omega?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
That is awesome! What did you do to get the exact measurements?

Kongo siege is a good idea, I've been thinking about that stage as a Link for counterpick.

When it comes to the stage teching area that is below the omega teching area. I just added it randomly cause I was out of ideas, but the point of it was to practice followups after you teched that stage. Now that its below the teching area its purpose is kinda gone, so maybe its better to just remove it and get some more separation between FD and omega?
FD is two farore's winds long and battle field is two palutena warps long. One weird thing though is that if you use the standard grassy terrain for battlefield it affects palutena's warp distance. Not sure why that happens. The battlefield platforms I compared them using link's short and full hops.

You know, I just now realized the purpose you had for that tech area. I was thinking it was a something different. I get it is kinda useless the way I have it, huh? I might try to think of a way to make it work, if not I might remove it.

FSK

Smash Ace
FD is two farore's winds long and battle field is two palutena warps long. One weird thing though is that if you use the standard grassy terrain for battlefield it affects palutena's warp distance. Not sure why that happens. The battlefield platforms I compared them using link's short and full hops.

You know, I just now realized the purpose you had for that tech area. I was thinking it was a something different. I get it is kinda useless the way I have it, huh? I might try to think of a way to make it work, if not I might remove it.
You can see if you can make it work if not you can remove it, there are other ways to practice stage tech followups anyway (running off-stage with bob-ombs etc.).

I really like the omega setup. We might also want to use different textures to match the stages, and the omega can be half grass half something else since grass affects slide length.

Vyledust

Smash Cadet
NNID
vyledust
3DS FC
4828-5240-3817
Switch FC
SW-0024-1518-2334
One thing I did for my play one, before the good one was posted, was to choose Ganondorf and anyone else and see where the plat was in relation to his head for Battlefield.

Good work to both of you and I love that this is starting to take off and be improved upon.

FSK

Smash Ace
Now that stage sharing will be possible we should figure out how to best distribute this smexy stage. Hopefully it will be like brawl where we host the stage somewhere and people can put it on an SD card.

If not it will be a community effort of distributing it to people who wants it.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Good grief, was this was... not that much of a pain to do, honestly.
This is for the people who don't like zooming in and counting blurry grid tiles.

Hey, it's blurry and kinda crude, but it's better than nothin'.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
soooooo I rewatched this magnificent piece of Link art recently

and I remember I used this stage a lot in the brawl stage and got very good use out of it. This led me to ponder about the possibility to remake the stage smash 4 style. Long story short I did remake parts of it as you can see here (sorry for the bad quality and all that)

the problem however is that two sections of the old training ground is not relevant anymore (Yoshi's wall and PS1's slopes). Therefore we need something relevant to this game to fill in for it, since the custom stage is a bit empty at the moment. I would love for suggestions on what to add!

FSK, with stage sharing now available will you take on the noble duty of spreading the training grounds to your fellow Link mains?

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
FSK, with stage sharing now available will you take on the noble duty of spreading the training grounds to your fellow Link mains?
I can't since Zelkam made an update version with some fixes and awesomeness. Therefore Zelkam needs to start the sharing.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
I still need to fix my mistake with the stage tech area, but I'd be more than happy to share my version for anyone that wants it.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
I can't since Zelkam made an update version with some fixes and awesomeness. Therefore Zelkam needs to start the sharing.
I see, thanks for starting the topic anyways :].

I still need to fix my mistake with the stage tech area, but I'd be more than happy to share my version for anyone that wants it.
The fate of Hyrule rides on you.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
Any chance this will be shared soon? This is a handy tool for tons of characters and if it's gonna get shared soon that will save me the trouble of creating it from scratch.

FSK

Smash Ace
Soooooo, mister @ Zelkam Zelkam apparantly you can share the stage with the world and we can all go to your MiiVerse page and download it from there.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Apparently it also only stays on the server for 30 days which means I'm gonna have to repost it every month...

FSK

Smash Ace
Apparently it also only stays on the server for 30 days which means I'm gonna have to repost it every month...
Then you could send it to me and I'll do the reposting :$

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Stage has been edited and uploaded. I removed the non-functional stage teching area which allowed me to move that whole section down a bit to allow more breathing room underneath the FD section. I then added the small platform you see in the center which acts as the new stage tech launch pad. It also doubles as a bridge of sorts to make getting from section to section a bit easier.

To download it (not sure if this is the easiest way, but it's the best way I could figure out) head to Miiverse and go to your activity feed. Tap "search users" in the top right hand corner and look me up (NNID is the same as my username). Head to my profile, go to the activities tab and the stage should be the latest thing I've posted. From there it should give you the option to launch smash and download the stage. Enjoy!

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
I'll definitely do this as soon as I get home. Thanks man!

Last edited:

RancidLeaf

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlyLeaf
Thanks @ Zelkam Zelkam and @ FSK FSK for the work on the stage.

Now, regarding the quoted post, is there a way to save custom stages to an SD card/USB? If so, we could possibly just upload the file somewhere and avoid having to re-upload every 30 days.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Thanks @ Zelkam Zelkam and @ FSK FSK for the work on the stage.

Now, regarding the quoted post, is there a way to save custom stages to an SD card/USB? If so, we could possibly just upload the file somewhere and avoid having to re-upload every 30 days.
Afraid not. The only thing that can be saved to an SD card is snapshots and the data from a USB drive can't be accessed from a computer.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Hey I just tried to download this, and it's basically saying, May Have Been Deleted.
I guess it's the changes to Miiverse?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Hey I just tried to download this, and it's basically saying, May Have Been Deleted.
I guess it's the changes to Miiverse?
Nah, the servers just automatically delete it after a month and I haven't reposted it in a while. It should be back up now if you wanna try again.

Top Bottom