• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Stage Discussion. (voting resaults in)

Hunybear

Smash Ace

This Thread will be used to gather information about what stages are beneficial to Link according to MU. This will allow us to better understand striking and counter picking. The information provided below was a poll taken in may 2017 asking links what Stages are best according to MU's

Best stages for Link are on top.
Fox...................Falco.................Marth
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗╔══════╤══════╤══════╗╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢╟──────┼──────┼──────╢╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│BF....│3.0...║║1.....│BF....│2.5...║║1.....│DL....│2.3...║
║2.....│FoD...│3.3...║║2.....│DL....│2.9...║║2.....│FD....│2.8...║
║3.....│YS....│3.4...║║3.....│FoD...│3.6...║║3.....│BF....│3.3...║
║4.....│DL....│3.5...║║4.....│FD....│3.7...║║4.....│PS....│3.6...║
║5.....│FD....│3.6...║║5.....│YS....│4.1...║║5.....│FoD...│4.0...║
║6.....│PS....│4.3...║║6.....│PS....│4.2...║║6.....│YS....│4.9...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝╚══════╧══════╧══════╝╚══════╧══════╧══════╝
Sheik.................Puff..................Peach
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗╔══════╤══════╤══════╗╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢╟──────┼──────┼──────╢╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│YS....│2.1...║║1.....│YS....│1.8...║║1.....│PS....│2.1...║
║2.....│PS....│2.7...║║2.....│PS....│2.8...║║2.....│YS....│2.5...║
║3.....│BF....│3.1...║║3.....│BF....│3.1...║║3.....│FD....│3.3...║
║4.....│FoD...│3.3...║║4.....│FD....│3.8...║║4.....│BF....│3.5...║
║5.....│DL....│4.3...║║5.....│FoD...│4.4...║║5.....│DL....│4.7...║
║6.....│FD....│5.5...║║6.....│DL....│5.3...║║6.....│FoD...│5.0...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝╚══════╧══════╧══════╝╚══════╧══════╧══════╝
Ice Climbers..........C. Falcon
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│BF....│2.1...║║1.....│FoD...│2.1...║
║2.....│YS....│2.8...║║2.....│YS....│2.7...║
║3.....│DL....│3.3...║║3.....│BF....│2.9...║
║4/5...│FoD...│3.5...║║4.....│PS....│3.9...║
║4/5...│PS....│3.5...║║5.....│FD....│4.4...║
║6.....│FD....│5.8...║║6.....│DL....│4.9...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

Fox
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│BF....│3.0...║
║2.....│FoD...│3.3...║
║3.....│YS....│3.4...║
║4.....│DL....│3.5...║
║5.....│FD....│3.6...║
║6.....│PS....│4.3...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

*Comments
1.The location of Yoshi's and Dreamland was basically a toss up for me.
Fox kills vertically, smaller stages aren't as good for Link imo, especially low ceilings. Stadium seems okish but the concern is it's low ceiling.

2.Fox is incredibly difficult to nail down to a flow-chart stage striking process (as such I expect to see a high degree of volatility with the Fox stage vote based on who is voting, the day of the week and the phase of the moon) . Basically, every stage has viable pros and cons to consider based on the Fox's playstyle. If the Fox doesn't overwhelm you with close range aggression, smaller stages are highly beneficial by letting you control more available space and preventing them from being a campy *****. If the Fox is overwhelming close range, a larger stage provides more breathing room. One thing to note is all stages are viable in this matchup, as opposed to other matchups where a stage may be completely undesirable. In general I would say Yoshi's and FD are best, everything else is alright.

Falco
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│BF....│2.5...║
║2.....│DL....│2.9...║
║3.....│FoD...│3.6...║
║4.....│FD....│3.7...║
║5.....│YS....│4.1...║
║6.....│PS....│4.2...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝
*Comments

1.The top 4 stages feel very close for me, and it really depends on who I'm playing. Going with this order because I don't want to think too hard about it.
Falco stages are weird. It depends on the style of Falco you're playing. Some Falcos I'm fine with taking to FD, others I'd rather go somewhere else.

2.I usually want platforms so that I can be on another height than Falco to avoid his laser but if the Falco is really good with platforms I will pick Final Destination and use full jumps to make sure he doesn't pin me with lasers.

Marth
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│DL....│2.3...║
║2.....│FD....│2.8...║
║3.....│BF....│3.3...║
║4.....│PS....│3.6...║
║5.....│FoD...│4.0...║
║6.....│YS....│4.9...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

*Comments
1.Stadium vs FoD is very close to me... I very rarely play on Stadium vs Marth so I might, upon playing it more, swap them, but as of now I don't really know so I went with this order.
I like dreamland and battlefield for this matchup because the platforms are at the perfect height for link to shark hairs through the platforms. Dreamland is slightly better because Marth can't police the platforms with utilt as effectively and it's easier to recover with hook shot. Fod and yoshi's are both about the same, but I put fod higher because the ceiling is a little higher and because the changing platforms give you a lot more options to tech chase than on yoshi's. Yoshi's is also good, but the downside is that you can't really take full advantage of link's recovery options and the platforms are at the perfect height for Marth to shield stab you with a tipper fsmash from underneath. Fd and Pokémon stadium are the worst for this matchup because there aren't very many ways to camp on these stages. I put Pokémon above fd because you do have platforms that you can use to escape some things, but there's still a lot of things Marth can do to you because it lacks a top platform.
FD to spam projectiles, DL is good too. PS is alright. Battlefield is ok, not as bad as Yoshi's or FoD. Seriously, screw the latter two stages.

2.When playing against Marth, I want to avoid platforms where he can hit me underneath with a u-tilt or an f-smash. Other than that, I would just move around and throw stuff at him while avoiding the random f-smashes.

Sheik
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│YS....│2.1...║
║2.....│PS....│2.7...║
║3.....│BF....│3.1...║
║4.....│FoD...│3.3...║
║5.....│DL....│4.3...║
║6.....│FD....│5.5...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

*Comments
1.Hard to tell for me with Battlefield vs FoD vs Stadium... and if the Sheik is not very good at dealing with projectiles then FD is amazing, but vs good ones it seems awful.
Screw the chaingrab. Go to anything with lower platform heights and smaller spaces.

Puff
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│YS....│1.8...║
║2.....│PS....│2.8...║
║3.....│BF....│3.1...║
║4.....│FD....│3.8...║
║5.....│FoD...│4.4...║
║6.....│DL....│5.3...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

*Comments
1.I like running away from Puff, hence my high placement of Dreamland [although Stadium's low ceiling is useful, and Yoshi's can be and seems to work well for many Links]. My FD placement is rather unsure but I've done it to decent effect so it went there. Not sure if FoD or Battlefield is worse so I went FoD is better just because of more tether options.
I put Yoshi's as top because of its low blast zones and low ceiling, but granted I normally play Michael on Battlefield to learn the MU better. PS and FD are alright, PS has a lower ceiling so I'd rather there over FD. DL isn't that bad but she just lives for so long, you'd have to be fine with a more patient game. FoD is the weird case, I figured it wouldn't be that great for Puff but it deceivingly seems to be.

Peach
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│PS....│2.1...║
║2.....│YS....│2.5...║
║3.....│FD....│3.3...║
║4.....│BF....│3.5...║
║5.....│DL....│4.7...║
║6.....│FoD...│5.0...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

*Comments
1.Bottom 3 to me are all harder than the top 3, as I like space. FoD is listed as worse due to platforms [and I think the sides might be shorter than Battlefield, leading to earlier fthrow KOs, although that might just be that getting grabbed at the edge is more frequent due to edges being closer.]
Stadium and FD for more space to move around and throw projectiles, Stadium kills earlier. Even Flood doesn't like Link Peach on Stadium. Yoshi's and FoD she can destroy Link. It sounds weird since she should die earlier on Yoshi's, but some Peaches prefer smaller stages. Dreamland same case with Puff, if you don't mind her dying a lot slower then more power to you, doesn't seem terribly bad. Battlefield seems alright for both characters.

Ice Climbers
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│BF....│2.1...║
║2.....│YS....│2.8...║
║3.....│DL....│3.3...║
║4/5...│FoD...│3.5...║
║4/5...│PS....│3.5...║
║6.....│FD....│5.8...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

*Comments
1.I like space and a top platform, so while FoD and Yoshi's Story are debatable, I feel really good about the rest of the list.
Seriously, screw these two on FD LOL. Dreamland is another one but at least it has platforms. Essentially smaller stages with platforms are your friend. Usually.

2.Since you want to avoid the grab at all cost, stay away from Final Destination. Since BattleField's top platform is the highest on all the legal stages, it's a good place to camp.

C. Falcon
╔══════╤══════╤══════╗
║Rank..│Stage.│Votes.║
╟──────┼──────┼──────╢
║1.....│FoD...│2.1...║
║2.....│YS....│2.7...║
║3.....│BF....│2.9...║
║4.....│PS....│3.9...║
║5.....│FD....│4.4...║
║6.....│DL....│4.9...║
╚══════╧══════╧══════╝

*Comments
1.This MU seems very player-dependent for stages, but like, the order I listed seems fine? FD in particular can be decent or terrible... top 3 stages felt kinda like a toss up, any ordering rather made sense...

Falcon on FD seems okish. No platforms to escape UAir strings. Dreamland that dude has a little too much room to move around plus platform heights seems to be alright for him.

This section will go into Each stages data as well as link specific tech that can be performed on these stages.

Battlefield

Yoshi's Story

Fountain of Dreams

Dream Land

Final Destination

Pokemon Stadium

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
For some characters I was unsure of how to order a few stages so I just put them kinda randomly [ex: I currently have no preference on Yoshi's Story vs Dreamland against Fox... they both seem better than Pokémon Stadium and probably better than Final Destination, but worse than Battlefield and Fountain of Dreams], and I tried to note this in comments when applicable. Otherwise I just voted in all of them [that were listed when I posted, Fox Falco Sheik Marth Puff Peach Falcon ICs].

Top Bottom