• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been hunting silver Lynels to upgrade my barbarian armor.
If you shoot their face you can mount them like a horse and get 5 free hits in while they shake you off. Any fire attacks like the 3 fireball shots or the huge combustion create updrafts you can ride for slow motion faceshots. Other than that learn to time dodges/blocks for flurry strike counters.

They start out intimidating but are fairly easy once you learn how to fight them.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I beat Breath of the Wild, 100 shrines, 150-something Korok seeds, all divine beasts, memories and the Master Sword. This game has an amazing amount of content.

The bad:
The big downside was the story and acting. The characters were one dimensional and I had no emotional connection to most of the main characters. The acting was passable but the game would have been better without voiced dialog. Zelda in particular was very one dimensional and I didn't feel anything for her. The only voiced characters I like were Urbosa and the king. Ganon becoming more of a force of nature than a character was a cool idea but took away his presence as a villain. Having the story take place 100 years after the preamble meant the calamity was not personal and unimposing as most characters were born after the dust settled. I had no connection to the horses, unlike Epona in other LoZs. There was no character development whatsoever. They toyed a little with possible romance between Link and Zelda or Mipha but that was one sided and went nowhere. Ocarina of Time had more interesting and emotionally invested characters.

The non-linear nature of the game was great in some ways but made it feel like everything was insignificant. Master Sword: optional and situational (but great for guardians and Ganon's castle), freeing the diving beasts had cool gameplay perks but in the end all they do is take Ganon's first form HP down by half :/. None of the towns felt threatened as there was no ticking clock. The kingdom was already sacked 100 years ago.

The final boss was laughably easy, although I was very powerful when fighting him/it. All the combat was based on simple game mechanics, dodge and counter, block to deflect beams back, face shots and ride updrafts for slowed time shots.

Also minor but prevalent gameplay flaws like dropping frame rate, sometimes unresponsive buttons and poor lock-on range/AI were an annoyance. I feel like not having a crafting system for equipment was a wasted opportunity. A clawshot would have been great too.

The upsides greatly outweigh the downsides. The world was HUGE and beautiful; I'm saying this as someone who wasn't a fan of the watercolor/Skyward sword style. It looked good with the grass blowing, huge vistas, changing night/day and weather cycles. There is so much to explore, find and do. The game kept surprising me with things like the Lord of the Mountains, shooting stars, dragons, etc. That's what the game was all about; discovery. It was hard to put down.

I loved the passive effects, preparation, material collecting and interacting with the environment. The towers were a great way to discover the land.

If you factor in the shear volume and scope of the game it gets a 10 out of 10. If you weigh the story and gameplay equally it gets a 9 out of 10.

PS
I got PTSD from enhancing my clothes :eek:.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Dam.... I've only just beating my first divine beast....

Though in good news I've taken down my first 3 guardians without the need of the Arrows Link needs to use (i have no idea what they are apart from the first ever trailers since i don't have them :) )

But then again, i did dies twice to them.... That laser is soo strong ;-;

Also, i found this article and thought it was a little interesting what it says

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._director_on_why_links_classic_hat_is_missing

I mean i don't mind if they don't have LInk's normal green tunic and hat as his main costume, but don't get rid of it entirely. It's like getting rid of Mario's costume, you just don't. That's what makes Mario Mario, much like how Link's hat makes Link Link

:135:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
T playing on stream right now. Let's go!

He beat Nakat 3-0.
I've been out of the Smash loop almost a year (and likely staying that way), but is this normal now o_O? Anything interesting happen with Link since like June 2016 lol?

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I've been out of the Smash loop almost a year (and likely staying that way), but is this normal now o_O? Anything interesting happen with Link since like June 2016 lol?
T's been putting in work this year. He got 49th at Frostbite. This placement at Civil War though, is certainly not normal. It's amazing.
The again, this whole tourney has been upset central.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
T's been putting in work this year. He got 49th at Frostbite. This placement at Civil War though, is certainly not normal. It's amazing.
The again, this whole tourney has been upset central.
Well that's cool. I also saw he took out K9SBruce before (2-1). Isn't Sheik a really crappy matchup for Link? I figure K9 would have some Link experience by playing Scizor and all.

I watched the Nakat match, and on one hand T played super well, but I didn't exactly see anything he did that I wasn't aware of before. He just seemed to be able to grab Nakat a lot (reading habits?) and executed things pretty well. Commentators seemed to respect Link a lot more than what I remember though. T's in winners for top 32 right? That's pretty sick :).

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Well that's cool. I also saw he took out K9SBruce before (2-1). Isn't Sheik a really crappy matchup for Link? I figure K9 would have some Link experience by playing Scizor and all.

I watched the Nakat match, and on one hand T played super well, but I didn't exactly see anything he did that I wasn't aware of before. He just seemed to be able to grab Nakat a lot (reading habits?) and executed things pretty well. Commentators seemed to respect Link a lot more than what I remember though. T's in winners for top 32 right? That's pretty sick :).
I think T uses his bombs really well. Almost every time he hit with a bomb, he followed up with something. He plays Tsu tomorrow, which will be fun to watch.
Imagine if a Link takes a tourney this big. I already posted on the Smash 4 WA Facebook group that if T won, I'd wear a Link costume everyday for a week.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman

I don't know if K9 went Sheik or Diddy, but it's still a good win. I wish it was recorded. The Nakat match was kinda ugly, he respected Link a lot. Plenty of missed punishes and little pressure on T. T could also learn Dthrow combos better. Let's see how he does tomorrow, it'd be nice to see him get some revenge on Tsu.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
T playing Tsu on stream right now. Let's go!

Edit: Gentleman, we have a Link in Top 16. Let's GOOOOOOO!

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
3-2 T vs. Abadango thus far. That was a sick game 3 for T. Abadango murdered T in game 4....

T Won!!!!!!

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
What a day to be a Link main. This is insane!
I really thought he was going to mess up game 5, since the nerves were clearly getting to him by the end. Thankfully rage Link was able to just barely finish Mewtwo off.

Looks like T will play Fatality next (since Fatality beat Nairo 3-2). This is going to be one battle of aggression xD.

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
ZeRo, Ally, Nairo, Mr. R eliminated, this top 8 is going to be insane

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
And only 1 of the top 10 actually made it to top 8 (Dabuz).

People are joking Radical Larry has been vindicated on the tourney thread and smashbros reddit xD.

T just took matches 1 and 2... Come on T.... Fatality takes match 3.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap... T is in winners finals!!!! 3-1 over Fatality.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
During the T vs Tsu match, the commentators said Link wasn't a high tier character. Time to contest that statement.

Rizen

Smash Legend
During the T vs Tsu match, the commentators said Link wasn't a high tier character. Time to contest that statement.
Considering how Bowser and DK are midtiers, I don't think Link is high tier. 'B' is high tier btw.

PS Luigi should be high tier.

People are joking Radical Larry has been vindicated on the tourney thread and smashbros reddit xD.
Of course people remember the least sensible of many people to say Link was underrated. He also said Link beats Sheik +2 and Ganon's Usmash combos into its self. :facepalm:

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Kind of expected T to lose to Fatality after getting beat down by Dabuz and Fatality having that momentum against Zack. Oh well. Third is still amazing from T!

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
That was an amazing run, best results from a solo-Link main in a super stacked tournament.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Would be interesting to see what Khakis thinks of T vs. Nakat since Khakis played against and lost to Nakat at some point iirc. That's probably better suited for the metagame thread though.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any interesting analyses on T's matches?

I'm trying to learn from his playstyle, as he has had the most succes with Link so far. But, and this is not taking away any of the great accomplishment that T made, when I look at his matches I don't see him doing something very special.

Sure, he makes nice bomb conversions, and he also seems to play very well in disadvantage, but when I compare him to other notable Link players, who have arguably more flashy styles with more combo's and AT's , it becomes hard to pinpoint why exactly T gets such high placings.

Is he just more effective? Better at reading people? Understands match-ups better?

Interested to hear others opinions.

P.S. GO T! Thanks for showing the world what Link can do!

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any interesting analyses on T's matches?

I'm trying to learn from his playstyle, as he has had the most succes with Link so far. But, and this is not taking away any of the great accomplishment that T made, when I look at his matches I don't see him doing something very special.

Sure, he makes nice bomb conversions, and he also seems to play very well in disadvantage, but when I compare him to other notable Link players, who have arguably more flashy styles with more combo's and AT's , it becomes hard to pinpoint why exactly T gets such high placings.

Is he just more effective? Better at reading people? Understands match-ups better?

Interested to hear others opinions.

P.S. GO T! Thanks for showing the world what Link can do!
I would suggest watching Scizor's analysis, it's pretty solid.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/132166719

Rizen

Smash Legend
What the h*** is this sh- oooooh right; it's April Fool's Day. Well if any character deserves more recognition it's Knuckles.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Now we need to get Dumbfire Dumbfire off the Sheik/Wii Fit Trainer. Wii Fit Trainer bro? WHY?!
lol i only use sheik for doubles, LInk is garbage in doubles anyway, catch me force cat off him.
Link shouldn't be able to do anything if people think in doubles... Just throw him offstage, then if he jumps back anti air him force him offstage without jump and then just let him be. Link has a slow and linear recovery that basically forces him towards the ledge, so instead of going after him and trying to gimp him and so forth (check fatality with RB in doubles vs t and scizor only reason it's close is cause fatality keeps chasing the links) just force him to waste 15 seconds at a time recovering while his teampartner is getting teamcombod or kill confirmed. needles make this even easier. force link to approach you that way too, then you can stuff his mediocre approaches.

I'd rather not go sheik at all i feel like lawz the traitor, we got 9th at BEAST doubles with full Cloud + Wii Fit, but thing is cloud is everywhere in doubles and is too good vs wii fit, massively outranges and easy ways to kill him, forces him to respect too much and just drift offstage if hit by anything while teampartner is opened up... it's not sustainable, I needed to get a sheik to counter the clouds or people who would separate us well. not the only one forced off character by circumstances

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
lol i only use sheik for doubles, LInk is garbage in doubles anyway, catch me force cat off him.
Link shouldn't be able to do anything if people think in doubles... Just throw him offstage, then if he jumps back anti air him force him offstage without jump and then just let him be. Link has a slow and linear recovery that basically forces him towards the ledge, so instead of going after him and trying to gimp him and so forth (check fatality with RB in doubles vs t and scizor only reason it's close is cause fatality keeps chasing the links) just force him to waste 15 seconds at a time recovering while his teampartner is getting teamcombod or kill confirmed. needles make this even easier. force link to approach you that way too, then you can stuff his mediocre approaches.

I'd rather not go sheik at all i feel like lawz the traitor, we got 9th at BEAST doubles with full Cloud + Wii Fit, but thing is cloud is everywhere in doubles and is too good vs wii fit, massively outranges and easy ways to kill him, forces him to respect too much and just drift offstage if hit by anything while teampartner is opened up... it's not sustainable, I needed to get a sheik to counter the clouds or people who would separate us well. not the only one forced off character by circumstances
Oooo, I've been looking for the T/Scizor set. Mind sending it to me?
I don't use Link in doubles either, he's too slow. Corrin works better.
That doesn't excuse you using Wii Fit in singles though!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Oooo, I've been looking for the T/Scizor set. Mind sending it to me?
I don't use Link in doubles either, he's too slow. Corrin works better.
That doesn't excuse you using Wii Fit in singles though!
I can't find it, that's also why I didn't link it; it'll come online soon in all likelihood. They won game 2 and were on the verge of winning game 3 until some stocks were lost early, but it was mostly errors in the Link MU and their doubles play, not the inherent abilities of Link in doubles (indeed they lost soon after in losers, never quite getting anywhere).

What's wrong with Wii Fit Trainer though :@

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I can't find it, that's also why I didn't link it; it'll come online soon in all likelihood. They won game 2 and were on the verge of winning game 3 until some stocks were lost early, but it was mostly errors in the Link MU and their doubles play, not the inherent abilities of Link in doubles (indeed they lost soon after in losers, never quite getting anywhere).

What's wrong with Wii Fit Trainer though :@
The set was uploaded today.
Because Link is freakin' Link! Play Link instead.

Top Bottom