• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link or young link?

SAUS

Smash Ace
Young Link is 1 spot above Link on the tier list. This is because he has some use as a counter to floaty characters (peach and jigglypuff). Link is also decent against those characters, but Young Link's speed makes him much better at it.

Link is slower and that is basically his downfall in general. Young Link's combos are weaker than Link's and, being smaller, his hit boxes are not as disjointed. Young Link has trouble with kill moves, Link has trouble landing them. Link is slower and will get combod harder, but his recovery and weight are better for surviving.

Really, it's pretty damn hard to say which one is truly better. To me, they are just different. It depends on what you want to do.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
If we are strictly comparing the two characters in a vacuum, you could make the conclusion that its personal preference. However, if we're putting them in the context of Melee's metagame (the way they should be analyzed), Young Link is clearly the superior choice. I can't really think of a single common MU where Link would be a better choice than his younger self (maybe Ganon, ironically).

.toasty

Smash Cadet
As a Young Link, I think Link blows the Ice Climbers out of the water where as his younger counterpart has trouble killing, making getting the kill on Nana harder.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
It's all about the trajectory you send your opponents and the durability of the characters when you use the two.
And in a head-on match, Link would moreover dominate Y. Link.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Sure, that's just one single match. And most likely the Link player is worse by comparison than the Young Link player. Remember that Link has the range to drive Young Link away, as well as the knockback to keep the latter at bay.

And let me elaborate on the trajectory a bit more; Young Link's trajectory options are mostly horizontal, and much less vertical, save if you hit the opponent close to Young Link's body. When the opponent is hit by Young Link's dash, they are sent further, and can probably tech before Young Link could reach them. Also, his Down Smash is a semi-spike reminiscent move, where the opponent can easily tech out of it and come back to punish Young Link. Link does not suffer these problems, in which he can make the opponent go vertical, horizontal and diagonal, and still be able to combo them, whereas Young Link, with his horizon focused attacks, can rarely set up combos, and if he is able to, the attacks are still weak and short ranged.

Young Link also suffers the "Roy Hitbox" effect, where his inner hitboxes are better than his outer; even his F-tilt and Dash are considerably weaker at the tip of the sword. Link, on the other hand, doesn't have "power differentiated hitboxes", so that his whole sword is just a singular hitbox with usually the same output of damage anywhere.

Personally, I'd like to see first-hand, a professional Young Link player fight me in a regulation-style match, while I play with Link. We will then test out the match results and see if Young Link can actually withstand the man he's based upon.

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Sure, that's just one single match. And most likely the Link player is worse by comparison than the Young Link player. Remember that Link has the range to drive Young Link away, as well as the knockback to keep the latter at bay.

And let me elaborate on the trajectory a bit more; Young Link's trajectory options are mostly horizontal, and much less vertical, save if you hit the opponent close to Young Link's body. When the opponent is hit by Young Link's dash, they are sent further, and can probably tech before Young Link could reach them. Also, his Down Smash is a semi-spike reminiscent move, where the opponent can easily tech out of it and come back to punish Young Link. Link does not suffer these problems, in which he can make the opponent go vertical, horizontal and diagonal, and still be able to combo them, whereas Young Link, with his horizon focused attacks, can rarely set up combos, and if he is able to, the attacks are still weak and short ranged.

Young Link also suffers the "Roy Hitbox" effect, where his inner hitboxes are better than his outer; even his F-tilt and Dash are considerably weaker at the tip of the sword. Link, on the other hand, doesn't have "power differentiated hitboxes", so that his whole sword is just a singular hitbox with usually the same output of damage anywhere.

Personally, I'd like to see first-hand, a professional Young Link player fight me in a regulation-style match, while I play with Link. We will then test out the match results and see if Young Link can actually withstand the man he's based upon.
1) That is debatably the best Link and Young Link.

2) Young Link can just camp out slow characters such as link, and his bombs are infinitely better, though I do have to say Link does have the boomerang advantage.

3) Young Link's D-Smash is hardly a spike in any sort of way, and you can't tech out of it at all.

4) They have different playstyles, just because Young Link doesn't combo as well doesn't matter, because he isn't based upon comboing

5) I have never worried about getting a big hit out of a Dash Attack, and when the hell does a Young Link use an F-Tilt?

6) I'd love to, what region do you live in? Are you going to Apex 2015?

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
1) Debatably, not relatively.
2) Still, there are always ways around to camping and bomb camping Young Link players.
3) It has a low trajectory, a very horizontal one, when near the tip. Anywhere else and I'm able to tech on Battlefield or Pokemon Stadium with Link on the soft platforms.
4) Yes, and Link's the combo oriented character of the two, ironically, since most of his ground attacks have trajectories for setting up combos.
5) It's a devastating attack, to be honest, just as devastating as Link's glancing blow/double hitting Down Smash. And trust me, there are some people who use it, and when they do, they try leading it up with an F-Smash.
6) Southeast Region of the U.S., namely Louisiana. And I hope I can, but then again, the expenses may be so much to get there from where I'm at. If I'm there, I may not be able to participate in the full tournament, but maybe singular, non-bracketed matches. If M2K's gonna be there, I may as well try to be there.

.toasty

Smash Cadet
I hope we can meet up at Apex at some point, anyhow, theory craft all you want about how Link is an amazing character with a better combo ability than Falco, and realize we are talking about 2 mid tiers ability to 1 v 1 each other, neither character is especially good, so it comes to exposing the other's weakness. I feel Young link has an easier time exploiting Link's weaknesses (Speed and Weight) than Link has exposing Young Link's (Kill Ability and Knockback)

SAUS

Smash Ace
I hope we can meet up at Apex at some point, anyhow, theory craft all you want about how Link is an amazing character with a better combo ability than Falco, and realize we are talking about 2 mid tiers ability to 1 v 1 each other [...]
I don't think he was saying that at all.

EDIT:
I still think it is too hard to say which one is truly better. So arguably the best Y. Link player beats arguably the best Link player. That's only one set, and there's no saying they are both equally good at the game. It hints at Y. Link being better, but it doesn't prove it.

If I go to Apex 2015 (I plan to), I'd love to play both of you. I love playing other people who play my character (or Y. Link, who is similar).

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I hope we can meet up at Apex at some point, anyhow, theory craft all you want about how Link is an amazing character with a better combo ability than Falco, and realize we are talking about 2 mid tiers ability to 1 v 1 each other, neither character is especially good, so it comes to exposing the other's weakness. I feel Young link has an easier time exploiting Link's weaknesses (Speed and Weight) than Link has exposing Young Link's (Kill Ability and Knockback)
I am not theory crafting Link has a better combo ability than Falco; in fact, I know Falco can combo better than Link, and I play him, Link and Ganondorf simultaneously as mains for being slow, but better-feeling characters. The characters that people think are slow actually feel better for me since the controls on fast characters are just...bleh. I can't control them well.

But now, again, to both of you, I hope to see you at APEX 2015; you will definitely be able to spot me there if I am there. I mean, it would be pretty obvious.

Last edited:

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
Young Link can't hold a torch to Link. Link has range, power, better KO moves, and his projectiles are better. The fact that Y. Link can't bounce his boomerang off the deck they way Link can makes him infinitely inferior, IMO.

Top Bottom