• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Is in Mario Maker 2! What Other Characters Would You Like to See?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've always wanted Exploding Rabbit's Super Mario Crossover to be officially released by Nintendo. Smash doesn't have to be the ONLY major video game crossover!
But with the new 2.0 Update for Super Mario Maker 2, that dream seems to be slowly becoming a reality.
And as such, which characters beyond Mario and Link would you like to see in Mario Maker 2? And what abilities would they have?

For me, it's:

:ultluigi::ultpeach:: Instead of being clones of Mario, make them fully unique like they were in Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3D World. Luigi jumps higher but has less traction. Peach can float but runs slower and jumps less high.

:ultkirby::ultsamus::ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultpit::ultsonic::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultwario:: These are easy to literally just copy over from their original games.
Kirby can inhale and float.
Samus can shoot beams, grapple, dash, and Morph Ball.
Simon can use his Vampire Killer and other Sub-Weapons.
Mega Man can jump n' shoot, charge shots, and slide.
Pit can fire arrows vertically and horizontally.
Sonic can run fast, Spin Dash, and kill enemies while in a ball.
Yoshi can eat enemies, make eggs, throw eggs, ground pound, and flutter jump.
DK can roll to kill enemies, hand slap, and pick up items to throw like barrels.
Wario can shoulder bash and pick up stunned enemies to throw at other enemies or objects.
To me, those are the obvious ones. But I'm sure the brilliant people of this forum can come up with more creative movesets for other characters.

I will edit this post occasionally to add my favorite moveset ideas from you guys.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I really hope this isn't a one-off thing, and we get a character like this every couple updates. Now that Link's going to be playable and we have an idea of what's possible, my immediate most-wanted would be Kirby.

Yeah, he can inhale and float (that should probably be nerfed akin to how it is in Kirby 64), but the bigger picture here would be copy abilities. How sick would it be if most of the enemies in Mario Maker 2 gave Kirby unique Copy Abilities? Able to throw himself in a Koopa Shell, blow himself up like a Bob-Omb, throw whatever object a Lakitu is holding, throw hammers, and more? That alone would be such a selling point for me.

Attachments

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It was a one off thing...
BUT
there will be a Super mario maker 3 so

Kirby (speculation)

His moves are
A = Jump/Hover Press it once to Jump after that press it again to hover you can do that Infinitly if you press B you puff out Air that hurts like a Fire ball
B = Inhale If you inhale a Non Projectile enemy you can spit out a Star
B > Down = Copy
Abilitys: (work like in adventure)
Fireball = is get by inhaling Fire based enemys
Boomerang: is get by inhaling Boomerang Bros, Bone based enemy and Spikey Enemys
Hammer: Hammer/Hammer bro, Buzzy Bettle

Reactions: Dan

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Hot take, but I really don't like Link in this game. You can't make dedicated Link levels because the player can always get hit and turn back into Mario, making them unbeatable. The only solution (if you don't want to put in a no-hit clear condition) is to put sword-spawning pipes everywhere, but then there's no real risk of failure. The player can always backtrack a little and boom, back to full health. Plus the pipes don't always look nice in your level.

If Link comes back in Mario Maker 3, I hope they make the transformation permanent. Maybe you get three little Zelda hearts when you turn into Link, and that's your health for the rest of the level. Ditto the SMB2 mushroom, but with little round SMB2 health thingies instead. Then if you get hit, you can grab mushrooms to get some health back. I dunno, just spitballin' here.

As for characters I want to see, Peachette. If Nintendo really doesn't want to let us play as Peach in these games, just give us Peachette and make her work exactly like Mario, Luigi and Toad. Luigi and Toad don't have unique properties in Mario Maker, so Peachette doesn't need them either.

Reactions: Dan

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Hot take, but I really don't like Link in this game. You can't make dedicated Link levels because the player can always get hit and turn back into Mario, making them unbeatable. The only solution (if you don't want to put in a no-hit clear condition) is to put sword-spawning pipes everywhere, but then there's no real risk of failure. The player can always backtrack a little and boom, back to full health. Plus the pipes don't always look nice in your level.

If Link comes back in Mario Maker 3, I hope they make the transformation permanent. Maybe you get three little Zelda hearts when you turn into Link, and that's your health for the rest of the level. Ditto the SMB2 mushroom, but with little round SMB2 health thingies instead. Then if you get hit, you can grab mushrooms to get some health back. I dunno, just spitballin' here.

As for characters I want to see, Peachette. If Nintendo really doesn't want to let us play as Peach in these games, just give us Peachette and make her work exactly like Mario, Luigi and Toad. Luigi and Toad don't have unique properties in Mario Maker, so Peachette doesn't need them either.
Yeah also dumb that link automaticly has all of his items if he needed to unlock them you could make better dungeons

Dan

Smash Lord

Brilliantly said.

Top Bottom