• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Full Guide & Discussion Topic

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
However, I also discovered some cool (new?) link tech - if you shield during your initial dash holding a bomb, until your dash ends, you can press A and do your dash throw out of shield, sort of like a glide toss. Link's dash animation continues after he stops so you still get the dash throw about a quarter of a second after he is done sliding. This gives you a bit of a boost in range and speed for your bomb throw. It is useful when you are near the ledge as link will dash throw and land right at the end. I'm curious @ tehz tehz if you can look into how fast this is, and whether it is any faster than doing a regular dash throw.
When your shield gets hit during you dash, you can press A after the shield stun is gone and still get that weird link throwing animation

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
During a dash, if you press Z and throw the bomb the opposite direction, you'll perform what resembles a pivot throw. It's possible to do it with only 1 frame of your shield coming out. You won't get the dash throw.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Also - given the ability to do dair, fair, or up-b, assuming none are stale - anyone know which move sends opponents the furthest?
fair at "kill percents"

Remember there's both base knockback and knockback growth so it depends on %. Fair is the weakest at 0%.

Anyway I think fair is the strongest at highish percents based on when I was curious about this a LONG time ago (like, my first few months of 64) and ghetto tested it. maybe I was wrong all these years because I don't even remember how I tested it :S

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
hello gents--long time lurker; first post here.
the following is a reliable method of acquiring an invisible bomb:

1. take a bomb out away from any edge.
2. lightly toss the bomb in front of you.
3. initial dash forward to a stop.
4. roll forward.
5. press 'a' as the bomb begins its 3rd pulse.
6. press 'l' repeatedly. =D

The Star King

Smash Hero
hello gents--long time lurker; first post here.
the following is a reliable method of acquiring an invisible bomb:

1. take a bomb out away from any edge.
2. lightly toss the bomb in front of you.
3. initial dash forward to a stop.
4. roll forward.
5. press 'a' as the bomb begins its 3rd pulse.
6. press 'l' repeatedly. =D
you can skip step 4.

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
so yeah just tested it to be sure... if you skip step 4 you'll be within explosion range & WILL get hit rather than pick the bomb up; sorry star king. nevertheless a worse error is skipping step 6! also, no hard feelings & nice to meet you! =D

i'm the same TKO that discovered the sword scroll glitch in zelda 1--a large part of my interest in this & most games revolves around attempting to improve the metagame... as such most of my posts will probably be geared towards that theme.

on that note, bonus link option: on dreamland you can land a bomb on the top platform by buffering up + shorthop + a. max style points for jumping sideways... :)

Last edited:

The Star King

Smash Hero
so yeah just tested it to be sure... if you skip step 4 you'll be within explosion range & WILL get hit rather than pick the bomb up; sorry star king. nevertheless a worse error is skipping step 6! also, no hard feelings & nice to meet you! =D
Nope, that only happens if you pick the bomb up too early - not any different from the method you described.

Proof my method works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3E09v4Tnc

I have done this like a hundred times because I used to do in between stocks if my opponent died off the top. So I know this works.

I will agree that step 6 is the most essential part, though :p Nice to meet you

Last edited:

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
yeah you're right--i got it to work. however, it does seem as though the timing is more forgiving if you throw a roll in...

oh hey here's another couple: land a bomb on a side dreamland plat by buffering up + a (probably known) & change directions in mid-air by throwing a bomb opposite direction you are facing just before you land (you will change the direction you are facing but keep the bomb in your hand... probably unknown).

edit to bump & add a new tech: while in shield with a bomb out and buffering up, pressing 'c' + 'a' or 'c' + 'r' (maybe a frame apart? timing window is tight) will chuck the bomb up hard (no bomb out would equal an upsmash as i stated in a different thread).

:)

Last edited:

SmashFactionNC

Smash Cadet
Link is too inconsistent for me, is there a way to play safe and consistent with link? Like sure combos and defensive tactics?

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
Just practice spacing and try to get in with short hop nairs bairs and fairs. Then you may be able to follow up with an uptilt. Once you get them caught in uptilts you can follow up with lots of stuff For seeing what a really good link looks like watch videos of isai playing link
@ SmashFactionNC SmashFactionNC

D

Deleted member

...but I would like to improve my Link. Yes, I know he's not the best in this game, but he was my first main and I kinda wanna improve on him a bit. What are some good combos, techs and/or tricks for Link?

Sedda

Smash Champion
Nothing wrong with wanting to main link.

The problem with him is that you're not allowed to make even small technical mistakes because he gets thrown off. He has great stage presence.

Your question is too general though. Id suggest watching link videos ( maybe some isai). Imo even if Japanese link is very different, watching sekirei is worth it.

Annex

Smash Ace
Don't get grabbed, and more than other characters you need to choose your moves based on your opponents %. Learn what combos at what %s and you'll be a kool kid EZ

Also just make the title of the thread what the thread is about and not clickbait
(it's k tho)

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
...but I would like to improve my Link. Yes, I know he's not the best in this game, but he was my first main and I kinda wanna improve on him a bit. What are some good combos, techs and/or tricks for Link?
Link is good have you ever seen isai play link that man is something else.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Polygon Link can running short-hop to perfect land on DL side platforms.

Annex

Smash Ace
There has been a recent surge of rando links on kaillera who spam rangs, bombs and uair, presumably because it looks cool when kort does it but if this is you it needs to stop asap! You're not having fun losing, and I'm not having fun dodging all your ****, so why continue degrading the general experience?
Ty for your time

D

Deleted member

just curious, why is link the only one with a full guide? ^.^

mix-uh

Smash Rookie
just curious, why is link the only one with a full guide? ^.^
yo imma let you finish
that dimissive ***** ass comment
but aa had the best gamefaqs of ssb of all time!!

so where did people go to? this truly dead

Top Bottom