• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
There are several characters I like that I just don't practice. Robin and Kirby being two. They're fun, but they're only really fun when you're good, and do I really want to invest myself in another technical mid-tier character that isn't Link?
:4kirby: was very recently dropped, he used to be my second-in-command after (obviously) :4link:. Problem was that the two play very, VERY differently. Kirbs is a light, floaty character with poor range, great well-strung combos and an excellent recovery. Link is this hard-to-approach mid-heavy hard-hitter with great range, "meh" speed and combos thinly put together. Between the two I ended up choosing Link because I've played him all my life. As of now, I solo main him (although in certain MUs I pull out :4cloud: because why not).

Edit: Irrelevant to Link himself, but I'm seriously considering buying Premium. Not because the ads are bothering me, but "Smash Apprentice" is just kind of an understatement on how much I know about Link and Smash (not trying to brag, it's just "apprentice" makes me sound like I just learned how to tech and take tap jump off).

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Irrelevant to Link himself, but I'm seriously considering buying Premium. Not because the ads are bothering me, but "Smash Apprentice" is just kind of an understatement on how much I know about Link and Smash (not trying to brag, it's just "apprentice" makes me sound like I just learned how to tech and take tap jump off).
I don't think anyone bases their opinion on someone's knowledge/ skill level on what "rank" it says under their name. Putting in real work will prove how much you really know, not buying premium or posting all over the place to get that "Smash Legend" rank. There are plenty out there no one respects despite having thousands of posts because they do nothing important with those thousands of posts. Respect is earned, not bought. No one is going to trust your word or think differently of you because of a rank change.

If you want to get Premium to support the boards however, now that is a noble cause.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
I don't think anyone bases their opinion on someone's knowledge/ skill level on what "rank" it says under their name. Putting in real work will prove how much you really know, not buying premium or posting all over the place to get that "Smash Legend" rank. There are plenty out there no one respects despite having thousands of posts because they do nothing important with those thousands of posts. Respect is earned, not bought. No one is going to trust your word or think differently of you because of a rank change.

If you want to get Premium to support the boards however, now that is a noble cause.
Naturally I enjoy contributing to a cause that brings a community better together, and maybe it was more of a selfish reason that I wanted it, but you're right. To be honest though, sometimes nobody posts anything, so even if I wanted that high and mighty rank, it'd take forever. Actually you even mentioned that one of the "Ace" players on this board is more trollish than anything...

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
To be honest though, sometimes nobody posts anything, so even if I wanted that high and mighty rank, it'd take forever.
It would take forever. But who cares about some rank based on number of posts? As far as nobody posts anything, you can change that by making helpful and intelligible posts, there is still lots to be found out there.
Actually you even mentioned that one of the "Ace" players on this board is more trollish than anything...
I actually didn't have anyone from the Link boards in mind, there really aren't any trolls here so I don't know who you are referring to, but so long as you get the point then okay.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
If a conscience optimal person spends enough time on a forum, those stupid little titles start to bother you a whole lot.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
:4kirby: was very recently dropped, he used to be my second-in-command after (obviously) :4link:. Problem was that the two play very, VERY differently. Kirbs is a light, floaty character with poor range, great well-strung combos and an excellent recovery. Link is this hard-to-approach mid-heavy hard-hitter with great range, "meh" speed and combos thinly put together. Between the two I ended up choosing Link because I've played him all my life. As of now, I solo main him (although in certain MUs I pull out :4cloud: because why not).

I would probably keep Kirby for the Sheik MU if I had one. Not that the Kirbster is the besto against her, but it's more fun than being Link.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
It would take forever. But who cares about some rank based on number of posts? As far as nobody posts anything, you can change that by making helpful and intelligible posts, there is still lots to be found out there.

I actually didn't have anyone from the Link boards in mind, there really aren't any trolls here so I don't know who you are referring to, but so long as you get the point then okay.
A lot of what I always intended to say on forums have already been said. I managed to sneak in how easy it is to Gale Guard Ness, and that has pretty much been my largest contribution to the Link boards.

If a conscience optimal person spends enough time on a forum, those stupid little titles start to bother you a whole lot.
Self-entitlement is, in itself, a disease...

what the **** has become of this thread
At least it's still kind of on topic...I guess?

I would probably keep Kirby for the Sheik MU if I had one. Not that the Kirbster is the besto against her, but it's more fun than being Link.
I said the same thing (well I said it about Fox but that's the same sad song), my problem is that I always continue to leave him in the dark to the point to where Kirby's basic concepts become fuzzy to me. I end up doing movements that would be perfect if I were Link, but not Kirbs. A weak excuse, yes, but I'm also open to learning another character to fill that void. Wario looked pretty interesting...

wtf is a conscious optimal person, I think you just made that up
A conscious optimal person means you're an intellectual individual with an open mind about discussive topics.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Is anyone into PC gaming? For games like WoW do you have to pay for a subscription every month? TBH I'm strongly considering getting out of Nintendo consoles for the next gen.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Is anyone into PC gaming? For games like WoW do you have to pay for a subscription every month? TBH I'm strongly considering getting out of Nintendo consoles for the next gen.
I think you have to buy the game, then pay $30 a month or something.
I'm probably going to hold out on buying an NX, and will get a PS4 most likely.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
no it doesn't, it means you dont understand how to make your points using clear concise language
And suddenly it all becomes clear...post titles don't matter, because some people just like to spew a lot of nonsense.

ANYways, while I'm here, I had a thought on Link's Gale Boomerang. What if it were different depending on whether you threw it normally or smashed it? When normal thrown, the entire move is an active windbox, going in and coming back. When smash thrown it is a hitbox that works like how it does now, only when it comes back it functions more like the Ripping Boomerang? Seeing as how Gale Boomerang is one of his most useful tools, making it more technical to give it more options could be cool.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
A lot of what I always intended to say on forums have already been said. I managed to sneak in how easy it is to Gale Guard Ness, and that has pretty much been my largest contribution to the Link boards.
There is so much more one can do though. The best thing is to get good, play well on stream, post matches in the archive for others to view and learn from so they could also do better. Because you are now a good player you have some good MU knowledge, of which you can post to MU threads, like what Catana Catana does.
Or maybe you have no local scene or internet is bad or you simply enjoy learning about the game and figuring things out, you could read up on Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive 's guide to labbing and test things, we still have plenty to test (PM me if this fits you).
Or maybe you like theory crafting or analyzing things, you can try to find the most optimal way to play a MU (but be sure to run your ideas by someone who who is actually good at this game first because they would know if these ideas can actually work).
ANYways, while I'm here, I had a thought on Link's Gale Boomerang. What if it were different depending on whether you threw it normally or smashed it? When normal thrown, the entire move is an active windbox, going in and coming back. When smash thrown it is a hitbox that works like how it does now, only when it comes back it functions more like the Ripping Boomerang? Seeing as how Gale Boomerang is one of his most useful tools, making it more technical to give it more options could be cool.
Or you could play the what if game and just stay in the social thread posting stuff like this.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
I dunno dude, I'd describe pretty much everything you've said here so far as nonsense...
Aight then.

It's a cool idea for the gale boomerang but another happy 'what if' scenario that won't happen.
Yea, just trying to open up ideas I guess.

There is so much more one can do though. The best thing is to get good, play well on stream, post matches in the archive for others to view and learn from so they could also do better. Because you are now a good player you have some good MU knowledge, of which you can post to MU threads, like what Catana Catana does.
Or maybe you have no local scene or internet is bad or you simply enjoy learning about the game and figuring things out, you could read up on Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive 's guide to labbing and test things, we still have plenty to test (PM me if this fits you).
Or maybe you like theory crafting or analyzing things, you can try to find the most optimal way to play a MU (but be sure to run your ideas by someone who who is actually good at this game first because they would know if these ideas can actually work).

Or you could play the what if game and just stay in the social thread posting stuff like this.
Funny you should mention MUs because there is plenty I feel I need to test (one of them is definitely:4samus:, she gets to me good). I suppose I'll go read up on Foxy's labbing guide then and get back to you.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
wtf is a conscious optimal person, I think you just made that up

Would you like me to look up "person," or are we good?
no it doesn't, it means you dont understand how to make your points using clear concise language
Maybe you're right. I could have said, "If someone spends a lot of time on a forum looking at their own posts they become painfully aware of those little words and that makes them want to make them pretty." That's not concise concise. I could have been more concise and less clear by saying, "Stuff bothers some people if they look at it long enough," and you would have kind of gotten it, but it's not really what I wanted to say. Probably the best would have been, "A conscientious person will be bothered by little words if they look at them long enough," but I'm getting the feeling you're just kind of an angry nit-picky guy in general, but if that's true it's a little beyond this message. Conscientious might have been a better word anyway. If you ever want me to justify my word choice again just holla.

LordXav1er

Smash Ace
NNID
LordXav1er
Well it's nice to see you're still a familiar face around here Rizen as I haven't posted on any forums in who knows how long

LakerLink

Smash Cadet
For all the none discord links, Everybody needs to check out T , from Japan. Hands down the best link in Japan and he has a intresting play style.

Aside from link7 link7 and Tsage who else is a Wa link I know I'm missing one

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
For all the none discord links, Everybody needs to check out T , from Japan. Hands down the best link in Japan and he has a intresting play style.

Aside from link7 link7 and Tsage who else is a Wa link I know I'm missing one
Tall Guy, DJthed, Zerker, and some POS loser named Smokebomb12 are several I can name.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
got 2nd out of 30 today at a tourney all link, were quite some decent people so i guess its alright (s1 took first). won dubs though

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
My title is the best... also laptop fixed expect an announcement video some time...

Top Bottom