• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well I doubt that anyone used it anyways, so I believe it was one of the nerfs that affected us the less. However I find the nerf on the spike illogical makes me wonder what kind of people are on the balancing team.
I though Sakurai was the balancing team?

Call me crazy, but I think I sorta like what they did to the Dtilt spike. Sure it's not as powerful as it was, but it's not nearly as weak most people make it out to be. Once the opponent gets closer to 100% it will most likely kill them unless the have a good vertical recovery and lightning quick reflexes. Honestly, I'm more than willing to sacrifice some knockback if it means we can land the spike easier. Before the patch you had to be so precise that it was hardly worth trying.
But before it could spike about 30%!!! (I think) I mean, don't tell me that isn't a bit of a nerf? Please, you have characters like Peach's Dtilt which is a spike in the whole hitbox of the move (I think) and can spike very early too. Now I think that is a little unfair.

I like the post patch Dtilt spike better but too bad they also had to nerf the power.
Maybe if they made it more like Young Link's, I wouldn't mind the power nerf

Rizen

Smash Legend
You're finally starting to see things as we do. Yes, give in to your bitterness.

We have a general MU thread Rizen, why talk about anything MU related in social, where the info will be buried by spam?
Good point. We should have a chart of the general consensus for each MU made in there. That way it's easier to see Link's spread that going to each individual MU thread. Looks like this would be the place:
http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-link-matchup-discussion.374025/

CF's range is BS:

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Yep, Sakurai needs to either go away, or hire more team members that know how to balance a game and leave things more to them. He just doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Though it's not like this wasn't already said a million times lol.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
On this page: discussion about how, after 7 years, dtilt is still worthless, and discussion about how Captain Falcon's elbow moves so fast it creates a vacuum that sucks him in closer to his opponent for extra range.

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
On this page: discussion about how, after 7 years, dtilt is still worthless, and discussion about how Captain Falcon's elbow moves so fast it creates a vacuum that sucks him in closer to his opponent for extra range.
Link has been known to improve after seven years in other games. Yes, Falcon can outreach a two handed swordsman with huge arms like Ike with his forward smash; a range in which Ike himself can not reach Falcon with his, makes sense. You may also note the Falcon didn't even angle his smash to reach.
Edit: Oh and I almost forgot Falcon is a car racer! Ike is a swordsman!

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You're finally starting to see things as we do. Yes, give in to your bitterness.
Don't worry. I have a lot of bitterness towards Sakurai for some of the decisions he made to a certain tactician :4robinm:

Not only that, he pushes you far away enough with his Fsmash so that you can't shield grab him with the clawshot...
Uh, spotdodge?

It was pivot grab but still :c
Oh my Naga, that's ridiculous.

You had to test it against Robin, didn't you?

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
The game does what it's supposed to. He makes it, we buy it, we play it.

No fighting game doesn't have its fair share of flaws. Smash wins best fighting game every time it's released and lots of people thoroughly enjoy the game. It always sells a ridiculous amount of copies as well.

I'd say he does development pretty efficiently.

ama99

Smash Journeyman

No fighting game doesn't have its fair share of flaws. Smash wins best fighting game every time it's released and lots of people thoroughly enjoy the game. It always sells a ridiculous amount of copies as well.

I agree, Sakurai sets out to make Super Smash Bros. fun over anything I we get exactly that every single time. The man sincerely deserves a break(especially to let his arm get better). I feel like everyone on the internet gives him too much **** for small things like cutting a character they wanted(that was probably a dumb suggestion anyways). Or if their favorite character gets nerfed. Sakurai is one of the best game developers in the world and Smash Wii U probably wouldn't be as good if anyone else was in charge of development.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

He just developed Link inefficiently is all.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sadly, Sakurai is a public figures, and public figures get hate no matter what they do. Sakurai, is a mediocre game developer, not a great one. He got lucky with smash and has consistently tried to undermine and sabotage his own game. He doesn't listen to fans and has expressed his disdain for us, competitive players.

The fact that he makes a successful game doesn't mean he's a good developer necessarily. Point in case, EA.

Serac

Smash Cadet
Uh, spotdodge?
I should have explained myself, I believe that one situation someone would like to have a long grab is when you know an attack is coming you block and are pushed away but still are able to grab the target, don't get me wrong though, I believe that the options Lawlz. and you gave are better however those can be done by characters with short grabs which makes the clawshot kinda pointless and me salty.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sakurai is literally killing himself to make Smash stuff for us to enjoy. I say take it easy on the poor guy.
You are right. We Smash complain so much when Sakurai makes a decision that we don't like and Sakurai not only has to deal with that but also risking his life just to make this game. And like what Izaw said

From a competitive standpoint, sure.

Capturing the essence of the character? I think he did a damn good job.
If you are looking at Link from a competitive standpoint, yes, he could do with some buffs. But even then, I still Link is one of the most bad*** characters in Smash Bros to date.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Sadly, Sakurai is a public figures, and public figures get hate no matter what they do. Sakurai, is a mediocre game developer, not a great one. He got lucky with smash and has consistently tried to undermine and sabotage his own game. He doesn't listen to fans and has expressed his disdain for us, competitive players.

The fact that he makes a successful game doesn't mean he's a good developer necessarily. Point in case, EA.
I'm sorry, but you don't make four successful fighting games based on luck.

The balance patches came from listening to the fans. And what happened? Well, the answer is pretty obvious.

He designed this to be fun, first and foremost, competition plays second fiddle to his ideal. He achieved this. But at the same time, the competitive community is growing.

Certainly not mediocre

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
And like what Izaw said
Lol, Lawz is Izaw. The conspiracy is revealed.

Also, Sakurai isn't killing himself. You make it sound like if he's a martyr. He suffers from stress, something everyone does to some extent(specially in Japan). He just can't deal with it and can't deal with the hate that comes from being a public figure. At least I feel no more sympathy for him than I'd feel for anyone else.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Oh I certainly agree with you, Izaw...

I remember picking up Link in Smash 64 and realizing how incredibly perfect he seemed to be. God, those were the days...

ama99

Smash Journeyman

A successful game? How about all the Super Smash Bros. Games, Kirby games, and Kid Icarus Uprising? Is that luck? Consistently pumping great games one after the other?

He doesn't listen to fans? Where did those balance patches come from than? The ones he said he wouldn't do anymore but did anyways due to popular demand?

Don't even compare Sakurai to that scumbag company. You know how much better he is than that.

Last edited:

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Oh I certainly agree with you, Izaw...

I remember picking up Link in Smash 64 and realizing how incredibly perfect he seemed to be. God, those were the days...
I'm sorry, does Link sprint in Zelda games allowing him to traverse any sort of distance with formidable speed? Is there ever a jump button that allows the oh-so-mobile protagonist to gracefully weave through the air? No.

But Link certainly has to find and use projectiles to counter his foes and solve treacherous puzzles.

Remember that really slow dash attack animation Link has in this game? That's directly mirroring his fantastically slow jump slash from...gee...I don't know...every 3D Zelda game to date.

Even his sword slicing animations in each game aren't fast.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
You guys got it all wrong... He clearly listens to the fans, just not the Link fans lol

@ Lawz. Lawz.
There's obviously things Link can do in Smash that he's never done in LoZ. The addition of the new dash attack had me very worried at first... but then I realized, it's pretty much one of Link's signature moves in every 3D Zelda to date.

There's always that line between balance and reality, especially when porting different characters into a fighting game. But I think Sakurai really did a great job staying in between that line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom