• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Classic on 9 is soooo easy with equipment buffs, auto-healer and attack/defense up. I would have gotten the no deaths challenge if not for a stupid SD because I'm tired and it's 4:30 AM. I'll beat it tomorrow. The no equipment 9 challenge is much harder.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hey, does anyone have matchup experience against ZSS? If so, do you now how correctly di her Boost Kick (upb)? I seem to be able to pop of it sometimes, but other times I can't get out of it.
Iirc, you can't DI out of it. It depends on where you are when she begins the move. That means, are you near her head, even high or leveled with her? If you're leveled you can't DI, but if you're higher (like head height) then you can DI.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
I attend to a tournament in my city yesterday. I sucked!

I've working all days until 3 am since more than a week, so i was a little out of my mind. I took the third place. My brother destroyed me with C. Falcon and I lost against a good Ness, but i had to win that (first time to lost against him).

My experience playing full defensive is weird... i absolutly prefer to play more aggresive, and i think it would take me to second place.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'll admit, the nerf to Link's Spike hitbox on his dtilt is what hurts the most for me. It is already hard enough to hit, now it can't even spike until past 60%?! That's just dumb.

I also really miss his Dair's kill power. That was fun to land.

Side taunt should heal you because fairies
two things.

1) If Young Link was to return, that should be his thing

2) Link's fairy is actually Navi or at least, it isn't a healing fairy, unlike Gay's

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I attend to a tournament in my city yesterday. I sucked!

I've working all days until 3 am since more than a week, so i was a little out of my mind. I took the third place. My brother destroyed me with C. Falcon and I lost against a good Ness, but i had to win that (first time to lost against him).

My experience playing full defensive is weird... i absolutly prefer to play more aggresive, and i think it would take me to second place.
How many participants? Also, Gratz. Third place is quite awesome for going Link.

Shinobi1

Super Saiyan
I am going to go to "Get On My Level" on May 30th. Is anyone else going?

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Hey, how would y'all feel about having a combo thread? Link has lots of nice little combos and strings and I feel like it would be good if we had a thread dedicated to it. Formatting would be similar to this:

http://smashboards.com/threads/greninjas-true-combos.375003/

Of course, we don't have as many combos as Greninja. I wasn't sure if it would be redundant with any of our current threads so I thought I'd ask first.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Hey, how would y'all feel about having a combo thread? Link has lots of nice little combos and strings and I feel like it would be good if we had a thread dedicated to it. Formatting would be similar to this:

Of course, we don't have as many combos as Greninja. I wasn't sure if it would be redundant with any of our current threads so I thought I'd ask first.
To be fair, link mostly has "strings" rather than combos. And the ones he does have are either super practical or highly situational but wouldn't be bad if there isn't already a suitable thread for it already

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
To be fair, link mostly has "strings" rather than combos. And the ones he does have are either super practical or highly situational but wouldn't be bad if there isn't already a suitable thread for it already
I can think of plenty of combos, but most of them are pretty short so idk. The longest of Link's true combos usually involve Bairs and bombs in some way.

Though if Link were able to true combo stuff out of Dthrow, I'm sure he'd have a lot of lengthy combos.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
I can think of plenty of combos, but most of them are pretty short so idk. The longest of Link's true combos usually involve Bairs and bombs in some way.

Though if Link were able to true combo stuff out of Dthrow, I'm sure he'd have a lot of lengthy combos.
like nair to dair amirite

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I actually don't like combo vids nor threads. They don't promote good gaming, just situational strings (Link barely has strings either way) of hits which do not denote neither a good player nor good skill on the game. It's just to create hype.

That being said, it could be done, but do we really want to show what Link can do? It's like inviting more nerfs.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
How many participants? Also, Gratz. Third place is quite awesome for going Link.
The amount of people to play that tournament was an outstanding 29... It was with customs on... It surely have replays of some of the matches, so i will post on the video threat when they are up.

In the spoiler is the Bracket of the Tournament, with places and Character Used (I didn't remember all the chars, even of my opponents in first and second round, because they were not a challenge). My brother is Satoshi Sora, the winner. In my last tournament, in January, i get 3rd place as well, but my brother and Kross get 4th and 5th place... I get this tournament as a stepback to my competitive play. Also, my brother also plays Link, but just as a char against dudes with good match ups against Falcon and Fox (For example, custom Villager).
1: Satoshi Sora - C. Falcon/Fox/Link
2: OZN|Kross - Ness
3: TLT|Drigo Toes - Link
4: OZN|Sho - Rosalina/Yoshi/Mii
5: OZN|Fer - Sheik/Diddy
5: LRH/Bratu - Mario
7: Raven - ??
7: LRH|Chrono - Sheik/ZSSamus
9: Mark - ??
9: LRH|Spectrol - ??
9: Rod - Mario/??
9: LGL | CGO | Etulf - C. Falcon/Sheik
13: Fainal - C. Falcon
13: OZN|Ivy - Rosalina
13: Flat - ??
13: Zay - ??
17: Alex - ??
17: LRH|Brew - ??
17: Maxi - ??
17: LRH|Renja-Z - ??
17: Zorro - ??
17: OZN|Freyax - Yoshi
17: Felo - ??
17: Rorro - Mario
25: Negro - C. Falcon
25: FaiL - ??
25: Eriazule - ??
25: OZN|Pipeshu - Pikachu/Sheik/Diddy
25: ChrisChris - Pit

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
The amount of people to play that tournament was an outstanding 29... It was with customs on... It surely have replays of some of the matches, so i will post on the video threat when they are up.

In the spoiler is the Bracket of the Tournament, with places and Character Used (I didn't remember all the chars, even of my opponents in first and second round, because they were not a challenge). My brother is Satoshi Sora, the winner. In my last tournament, in January, i get 3rd place as well, but my brother and Kross get 4th and 5th place... I get this tournament as a stepback to my competitive play. Also, my brother also plays Link, but just as a char against dudes with good match ups against Falcon and Fox (For example, custom Villager).
1: Satoshi Sora - C. Falcon/Fox/Link
2: OZN|Kross - Ness
3: TLT|Drigo Toes - Link
4: OZN|Sho - Rosalina/Yoshi/Mii
5: OZN|Fer - Sheik/Diddy
5: LRH/Bratu - Mario
7: Raven - ??
7: LRH|Chrono - Sheik/ZSSamus
9: Mark - ??
9: LRH|Spectrol - ??
9: Rod - Mario/??
9: LGL | CGO | Etulf - C. Falcon/Sheik
13: Fainal - C. Falcon
13: OZN|Ivy - Rosalina
13: Flat - ??
13: Zay - ??
17: Alex - ??
17: LRH|Brew - ??
17: Maxi - ??
17: LRH|Renja-Z - ??
17: Zorro - ??
17: OZN|Freyax - Yoshi
17: Felo - ??
17: Rorro - Mario
25: Negro - C. Falcon
25: FaiL - ??
25: Eriazule - ??
25: OZN|Pipeshu - Pikachu/Sheik/Diddy
25: ChrisChris - Pit
I assume LinkEa wasn't in the tourney since o didn't see his name.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
I assume LinkEa wasn't in the tourney since o didn't see his name.
LinkEa lives at 600 km. of distance, so no... I likely play with in my city. I can't go to other tournaments because of my personal life.
LinkEa get 3rd place in its City this Saturday as well...

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
A combo thread could be done, but do we really want to show what Link can do? It's like inviting more nerfs.
They can't do much more harm than the existing vids showing KOs off of a jab cancel without the disclaimer it's no longer possible. Most of the existing vids and info out there is outdated, partly because 90% of it is jab cancel stuff.

Besides, even simple little stuff like 1h-bair utilt or 'rang DA is useful for potential Link mains to know. Customs-using combos & strings like Ripping Meteor would also be helpful. And does the faster spin attack open up anything? It would be useful, even if it does look like another installment of Ode To The 2-Hit Combo.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
And does the faster spin attack open up anything? It would be useful, even if it does look like another installment of Ode To The 2-Hit Combo.
As it was said earlier, first hit Bair to buffered turn around Spin Attack is a true combo against anything but Fox-like char. It could kill at same percentage than grounded spin attack sweetspot.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Honestly we should probably start keeping all of our discoveries out of the public eye so Link doesn't get nerfed again.
We figured out Link could totally TC like Peach and it got removed, we had a righteous jab1 cancel window that allowed us to confirm u-tilt for decent kills and high% and had a pretty nice CQ game due to it, and Dan Salvato found a "possible" expolit that was very chracter/%/Link's% dependent with very strict timing (even recommending altered controls just to perform.) so they nerfed jab1 to near uselessness.

Let's not lose what little we have left please? I like my bombslides where they are thank you.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
I actually don't like combo vids nor threads. They don't promote good gaming, just situational strings (Link barely has strings either way) of hits which do not denote neither a good player nor good skill on the game. It's just to create hype.

That being said, it could be done, but do we really want to show what Link can do? It's like inviting more nerfs.
I don't think hoarding secrets really encourages people to give the character a try. Also the more people playing a character means a better Link meta. There's already a high enough technical requirement to play a winning Link so why shoot ourselves in the foot just to be character hipsters?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Just as a disclaimer, the note on showing what Link can do and nerfs was a joke referencing that Link will get nerfed for every good positive trait it could have. Obviously I am in favor of information being spread, otherwise I wouldn't participate neither on this board nor in the Q&A thread (where I am one of the most active posters).

My real reason to not be in favor of a combo video or a combo thread it's because i don't see the point in it. Link has no real combos, no useful combos. they're all situational or strings based on reading and solid fundamentals. If you really want to improve, work on those two aspects of your game rather than focusing on "combos" which, while dashing are in reality vain. Even more so considering that, as I said before, Link has no real combos.

We actually tried to have a debate on possible combos one, and all of them were based around jab canceling. We don't have that anymore, so all we have are 2 hit "combos" which are not only situational, but also highly DI and dmg dependant. Create your thread if Fox allows it, but I don't see it going anywhere.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Just as a disclaimer, the note on showing what Link can do and nerfs was a joke referencing that Link will get nerfed for every good positive trait it could have. Obviously I am in favor of information being spread, otherwise I wouldn't participate neither on this board nor in the Q&A thread (where I am one of the most active posters).

My real reason to not be in favor of a combo video or a combo thread it's because i don't see the point in it. Link has no real combos, no useful combos. they're all situational or strings based on reading and solid fundamentals. If you really want to improve, work on those two aspects of your game rather than focusing on "combos" which, while dashing are in reality vain. Even more so considering that, as I said before, Link has no real combos.

We actually tried to have a debate on possible combos one, and all of them were based around jab canceling. We don't have that anymore, so all we have are 2 hit "combos" which are not only situational, but also highly DI and dmg dependant. Create your thread if Fox allows it, but I don't see it going anywhere.
We have too many combos, just ask Sakurai.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Speaking of Combos, can Dtilt combo into Dair at low percents? I have wonder because in my head, it could work.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Create your thread if Fox allows it, but I don't see it going anywhere.
I was deliberately staying silent on it until I had heard what others thought, but I guess I've been called out now XD.

Ok, my initial thought was that this discussion could just happen in the meta thread, and in fact it's kind of needed there. From the updating I've done up to this point, there is still a gap in this particular area of Link's meta. In the second post inside the spoiler tag labelled 'attacking (combos/strings)' we have one small quote pointing out the boomerang to Fair combo. Now I'm only half way through the thread so there might be more, but as it stands, I think that we could definitely benefit from you making a large post or two detailing some combos and strings even just for the sake of perhaps shedding some light on some that were largely unknown. You would be encouraged to use the format in the thread you linked too and you are even more encouraged to go into detail as to how you got the results, i.e. what your method of testing was. If you think you are up to the task, then by all means get to work and post your results in the meta and I will later quote them in the OP when I catch up with the updating.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Cool, I might actually do that then.

Dtilt isn't as nerfed as we think it is btw, the reduced knockback lets us combo more things after landing it. It already had pretty good hitstun.

But yeah, the foundation of Link's true combos are basically dtilt, bair 1, jab 2 (there are some true combos left I think, but I need to test this more), and bomb combos. You can make some nice strings out of other stuff like galerang, zair, and sourspot nair. I don't really play with customs, so I probably won't have anything to share there.

Serac

Smash Cadet
It did hurt Link's Dtilt spike though.
Well I doubt that anyone used it anyways, so I believe it was one of the nerfs that affected us the less. However I find the nerf on the spike illogical makes me wonder what kind of people are on the balancing team.

BaPTraPLaP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaPTraPLaP
Well I doubt that anyone used it anyways, so I believe it was one of the nerfs that affected us the less. However I find the nerf on the spike illogical makes me wonder what kind of people are on the balancing team.
That is the very thing no one used it before and now even less then that many people use it. Wait, what?

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Call me crazy, but I think I sorta like what they did to the Dtilt spike. Sure it's not as powerful as it was, but it's not nearly as weak most people make it out to be. Once the opponent gets closer to 100% it will most likely kill them unless the have a good vertical recovery and lightning quick reflexes. Honestly, I'm more than willing to sacrifice some knockback if it means we can land the spike easier. Before the patch you had to be so precise that it was hardly worth trying.

Top Bottom